Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KarateKid_WaxOnWaxOff (resized).jpg
    208725 (resized).jpg
    51hoyKcSCaL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
    81I1DptxRsL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
    indy (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago

I definately wax none-CCed playfield regularily (based on games played). It makes a huge difference in how the game plays and looks.

For CCed playfields, I'll wax them once in a long while and then use Novus 1 for regular cleaning. Waxing a CCed playfield doesn't seem to do much for it. I doubt much wax actually remains on it after polishing to be honest.

I do also wax metal guide rails and such if they contact the ball. Shines them right up.

I use carnuba wax.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Texastravis:

...I think I will reassemble the playfield before I wax.

I'd highly recommend waxing the entire playfield before you reassemble. Much easier, nothing in your way, and no need to tape the posts, etc. (well, at least for the first time you wax). And wax the mylar along with the rest, fills in scratches etc. and certainly does no harm.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Topher5000:

Where do you get carnauba wax? I'm having a hard time finding it in Canada.

Not entirely sure, I'm still using the tub of Johnston Paste Wax I bought 15 years ago.

Quoted from cottonm4:

So all I want to know is if it hurts the play field to wax it even if you are going on with a protector.

It won't hurt it but some people have reported moisture accumulating under their "floating" PF protectors after application. It has been theorized that moisture in the wax could evaporate and condense under the PF protector. Other theories are that in these cases the clearcoat may not have been fully set causing the problem. To be honest, I'm not sure if there's any merit to these claims, but would probably not put wax down immediately prior to adding a PF protector to avoid any possible issues. I might wax the PF and let it sit without the protector for a week or two though before adding the protector.

If I am adding mylar, I would always wax first as it makes it much easier to get the mylar off later without taking paint, etc. with it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-guys-waxing-everything?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.