(Topic ID: 230822)

Are you going to buy MET/AS/KISS after the big updates?

By Shapeshifter

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pinzrfun
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4EA6945B-91DC-4AAF-9C1D-4CFC87E72E2A (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

So, just curious if Stern's big updates on these have people re-considering these titles?

Are you now a potential buyer?

I already have KISS. Update is awesome.

AS - had one but now want another.

MET - had one and also want another as game was a bit too wood choppy before. New code seems to have made CIU quicker to get to and EOL has been updated.

These big updates are generating a lot of good will and increasing demand for older titles. It's a good business move and I am glad Stern finally got round to this way of thinking.

#2 5 years ago

No.

It's just not as fun to own a game without being able to bitch about the code.

#3 5 years ago

Already own all three and i am very happy with the code updates really improved all three games.

#4 5 years ago

No.
    Already owned Met and it was a great game, i wouldn't get it now just because they made it easier. I thought it was weighted well before the update.
    AS & Kiss wouldn't be something I would like to own.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No.
    It's just not as fun to own a game without being able to bitch about the code.

Ah, so it's GB for you then Levi

#6 5 years ago

Levi needs wheel of fortune, he'll stay happy!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No.
    Already owned Met and it was a great game, i wouldn't get it now just because they made it easier. I thought it was weighted well before the update.
    AS & Kiss wouldn't be something I would like to own.

Interesting that all the code updates have made the games easier.

Maybe Stern realizes that most owners haven't a chance in hell of finishing some of these games and you need to be a tournament player to finish them?

Encore in AC/DC for example?

Makes sense as tournament players can tweak settings to make harder, whereas many owners aren't really aware of adjustments etc.

#8 5 years ago

I do find it a bit weird. I mean what's next... The LOTR Vault with new rules that make Valinor easier to get to?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I do find it a bit weird. I mean what's next... The LOTR Vault with new rules that make Valinor easier to get to?

most of us will take all the help we can get.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Interesting that all the code updates have made the games easier.
    Maybe Stern realizes that most owners haven't a chance in hell of finishing some of these games and you need to be a tournament player to finish them?
    Encore in AC/DC for example?
    Makes sense as tournament players can tweak settings to make harder, whereas many owners aren't really aware of adjustments etc.

Ironically most people I talk to refuse to make a game easier by lowering requirements to reach something.
    - they view it as cheating
    - but if Stern lowers the requirement, then it's great and makes the game better
    I agree that you could be "cheating" if you make it too easy. But if you're experienced enough IMO you can tell when something is unrealistically hard (at least for where you're at), so changing a setting to be easier is the right move to make the game better (for you). Just factor that in when bragging about your high scores

Steve Ritchie himself told me to lower the requirement of changing songs in AC/DC from 8 to 5 to make the game more fun - which makes Encore much more realistic, but still not easy by any means. The question is who is "Man Enough" to take Steve Ritchie's advise? Most of my friends wouldn't do it - they're just too proud. But again, if Stern changed the default they'd be all excited. Ironically, excited about something they had the power to do themselves for the last 6 years! And they totally knew they could make the change, but refused because they didn't want to cheat.

They put the options in the menu for a reason.

Also, for those of you that think it's cheating - what about:
    - different outlane settings
    - different inclines
    - different rubber
    - dirty games in need of flipper rebuilds
    - extra ball settings
    - other variations on a game - like guide rails bent/aligned differently

---- All of the above can totally make 1 game much easier/harder than another instance of the same title

IMO make the wizard mode difficult to get too, but not impossible for your skill level
    -- BTW for me, not impossible would mean I could get to it at least once in a years time

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

...also think that would be a no-brainer for many of us
    Fantastic job from Stern imo, think they made some smart decisions the last time...

Would be very cool to see more of these code updates for other "older" machines (Btdk!/Iron Man?/Star Trek?), -perhaps with the possibility to switch between the last and the updated version in the software-setting in the default-menue... ok, i´m dreaming.....and greedy

#12 5 years ago

Sure I can see it from all angles, you want to make it super hard but not impossible. But for me you've got have your Atlantis and Valinor super duper hard ones. You start making them "too easy" and everyone bags on them like Monster Bash. There's always been a large group of players that think a wizard mode is " beating the game" and get sick of the game after that.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure I can see it from all angles, you want to make it super hard but not impossible. But for me you've got have your Atlantis and Valinor super duper hard ones. You start making them "too easy" and everyone bags on them like Monster Bash. There's always been a large group of players that think a wizard mode is " beating the game" and get sick of the game after that.

Can see this viewpoint but Valinor is crazy hard, so I don't want to buy a game I have zero chance of ever completing.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Can see this viewpoint but Valinor is crazy hard, so I don't want to buy a game I have zero chance of ever completing.

Then you have to learn how to play better to get there....or just don't buy it which is cool too.

I just don't like the idea of making games easier so more people will buy them...it seems like the definition of caving to the consumer.
    Now of course this won't keep me up at night and it's not a big deal, just seems weak sauce to me.
    Owned RBION for years and still ahven't made it to frog frenzy; that's OK too.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just don't like the idea of making games easier so more people will buy them...it seems like the definition of caving to the consumer.

Pretty sure Lyman is adjusting games to match typical TD settings and is not too concerned about consumers. CIU in Met is single ball and more dangerous than staying in multiballs. Most people (myself included) think it was weighted poorly before. The easier EBs may be for consumers, but are easily shut off or adjusted for competition.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Pretty sure Lyman is adjusting games to match typical TD settings ...

Interesting, never heard of anyone turning them down when I play.

Quoted from metallik:

Most people (myself included) think it was weighted poorly before.

Agree to disagree, but the man making the rules is all that matters I guess.

#17 5 years ago

Most people I know turned CIU down to 10 or so, some did after playing my game which was setup that way, although I think Erik kept defaults when he borrowed Steve's Met. I've heard of tournaments with CIU set to lowest possible level to keep people in there and out of multiball as much. These are anecdotes; I haven't been to many tourneys so can't say what percentage changed settings, but it was definitely a thing.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I've heard of tournaments with CIU set to lowest possible level to keep people in there and out of multiball as much.

Bizarre indeed.

#19 5 years ago

Great thread. I'm fortunate to have all (3) pins and the updates are just awesome as well. Hard to pick which one got the best, but I personally love AS. Can't get enough of the new skill shot, light show, and toy box functioning spot light now. MET was pretty solid before and the Kiss update really changes the game, especially the light show and calls outs with cities. Bravo Stern, Bravo!

I know pinheads complain about code updates upon purchase, but it sure feels like Christmas all over again when you finally get the new update and you feel like you just bought a new pin all over again.

#20 5 years ago

I wouldn’t mind buying an AS. I have a GB that I’m growing tired of. I hope they give it the same treatment as the others so I’ll enjoy it again

#21 5 years ago

NIB AS LE #82 arrives on Thursday. Already have the Laseriffic topper and a bunch of other mods ready to go for it. Can't wait, been lusting for an AS for years!

#22 5 years ago

I was really leaning to a DI for my next pin but Stern has really turned it around for me. I'm a Kiss owner and the last update exceeded all expectations! Well done Stern! Just like they added to the most current Kiss update.... " You wanted the best and you got the best..." I would love to purchase a MET or AS, it's not a matter of if but when!

#23 5 years ago

I was always leaning toward ACDC Luci as a music pin, but I played an LE AS last weekend, and just thought it was beautiful to look at, and fun. How do most of you rate AS, if you could only have 1 of these 3?

#24 5 years ago

For someone like me who’s never owned those titles, they are definitely more appealing now. New and better code can make any game better. Looking forward to trying out the new code

#25 5 years ago

I want my KISS LE back.

#26 5 years ago

I have a SW Pro that I’m planning to enjoy all winter and then I may trade it or sell it come spring. Any of these three - along with GOTG and Iron Maiden - are candidates for next game.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from darkryder:

NIB AS LE #82 arrives on Thursday. Already have the Laseriffic topper and a bunch of other mods ready to go for it. Can't wait, been lusting for an AS for years!

Already have ASLE, you will love it. New code is fantastic!

I like it MUCH better than the Ac/dc i sold.

#28 5 years ago

I would like a NIB Kiss LE or remake LE.. HUO would be fine also. NT>

#29 5 years ago

I own MET and AS and i would love to have KISS as well, all three are killer games. AS is one of the best kept secrets in pinball. Totally overlooked and under rated game!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

...There's always been a large group of players that think a wizard mode is " beating the game" and get sick of the game after that.

this sounds strange to me !?

i'll go/beat wizard mode quite each time i'm playing my T3, and i have great fun/pleasure to do it, its simply part of playing pinball

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Already have ASLE, you will love it. New code is fantastic!
    I like it MUCH better than the Ac/dc i sold.

Now that’s saying something. Better than ACDC?

#32 5 years ago

Yes,
    I just ordered a MET pro LED.. arguably the best "pro" version since LOTR.. when there were none.
    Complete code.. an after thought in so many games released by Stern the last few years..
    Will probably also purchase one of the last TWD Pro 2 very fun to play complete games..

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

this sounds strange to me !?

Its totally strange to me too.

#34 5 years ago

indeed, was to agree you

#35 5 years ago

I was interested in picking up a KISS at some point, but this was primarily due to being brainwashed to accept mediocrity from them since the age of 7. I like the game, but it felt a little rough around the edges. I'm now planning on picking one up at some point within the next year or two due to the recent update (Iron Maiden is still first in line, though).

#36 5 years ago

The code is certainly something to make one consider picking up those games. Fantastic that they're getting the polish they deserve.

I would LOVE to see GB, as that game has so much going for it, except the code.

The code polish is great PR though and instilled a lot more confidence in any upcoming Stern purchases. Perhaps it should have been there from the start, but it getting it done at some point is most important.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from callaway15:

I was always leaning toward ACDC Luci as a music pin, but I played an LE AS last weekend, and just thought it was beautiful to look at, and fun. How do most of you rate AS, if you could only have 1 of these 3?

I rate AS as the top music pin. Don't get me wrong, they're all great pins. But for some reason the toy box is just super cool and gets the nod over ACDC swinging bell as a sweet shot to me. The elevator shot feels good to shoot on the Pro and has a great "clunk" noise when it hits the scoop like Chris Bucci said in his video. Plus, I think the LCD screen on AS has some cool animations and I think Jacky is a great representative for the band, like Sparky is to MET. However, I prefer the art package of Kiss slightly over AS, and I do mean slightly, because AS does have a great art package as well.

My buddy called me out of the blue when he found an Aerosmith pro out on location and told me how great the pin played and it would be right up my alley. Glad I listened to him and extremely happy with the purchase.

I never thought I would put a music pin in my collection, but now I can't see ever getting rid of the (4) I have. LOVE jamming to the music while playing the pins. Rocking music and pins do go together.

#38 5 years ago

I own a MET and enjoy both AS and Kiss, however in my small collection they feel like they occupy a similar space. From Stern, I would be still be more likely to add TWD, or even IMDN, at this point.

#39 5 years ago

Sold MET Pro last week.
    Immediately bought HUO MET Prem with <200plays.
    Great game with great toys for new and seasoned players alike. I'll keep that one for a while.

Want Iron Maiden, played it on location a few times, but i'm not an early adopter, so will wait for a year or so and see where it goes and how it holds up for reliability.

Haven't played a KISS or AS yet...

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Sold MET Pro last week.
    Immediately bought HUO MET Prem with &lt;200plays.
    Great game with great toys for new and seasoned players alike. I'll keep that one for a while.
    Want Iron Maiden, played it on location a few times, but i'm not an early adopter, so will wait for a year or so and see where it goes and how it holds up for reliability.
    Haven't played a KISS or AS yet...

The rising cross never gets old. I love my IMDN, its an amazing game. KISS and AS are awesome too but i like Maiden more.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Now that’s saying something. Better than ACDC?

I like it better for the whole package. That's just me. Def in the minority. Ac/dc was fun while it lasted. Maybe it was the left ramp right ramp like SM that just got old for me.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I like it better for the whole package. That's just me. Def in the minority. Ac/dc was fun while it lasted. Maybe it was the left ramp right ramp like SM that just got old for me.

I totally dig AS. It’s addictive, fun and has way better art AND music (IMO) than ACDC. But ACDC is an all time game with an all time rule set. No comparison in my opinion. But I will own AS, and once I do, I reserve the right to change my mind!

#43 5 years ago

Stern's commitment to code quality / completion influences my decision to buy their next game so even if it not one I am particularly interested in, the fact they are improving machines after the fact is important to me. I for one am waiting for code for GB but I purchased a Deadpool and Iron Maiden betting they will fulfill their promise to complete Ghostbusters, for example. If they strand a game then that will definitely influence my buying decision for next game, i.e., Jersey Jack. There is too much competition to ignore.

#44 5 years ago

As an owner of an ACDC Luci and a new owner of ASLE, I love AS! I bought with never playing it and not being a huge Aerosmith fan but man the game is so much fun. I actually like itmore than ACDC even with preferring ACDC music. I am actually surprised just how much I love it. It is the complete package of a great pin for me. IMDN premium is on the way this week and can’t wait to compare games.

#45 5 years ago

I own most of the Stern rock pins. It's pretty amazing that Stern updated the code on all of them in the past 8 months. If i had to rank them based on the fun factor with the new code it would be #1 Kiss LE, #2 Iron Maiden Premium, #3 Aerosmith Pro, #4 AC/DC Premium, #5 Metallica Premium. all of them are among the best games made period.

#46 5 years ago

I once played a Metallica with a former world champion pinball player and he made it 3/4 of the way through the game and said that was his best game ever on Metallica. Factory settings Metallica is damn near impossible to reach the end (if you took your game off factory settings and somehow reached the end of Metallica you shouldn’t feel too great because you cheated to get there). Deap code is fine but when it is out of reach by even the greatest players it is pointless.

#47 5 years ago
    4EA6945B-91DC-4AAF-9C1D-4CFC87E72E2A (resized).jpeg4EA6945B-91DC-4AAF-9C1D-4CFC87E72E2A (resized).jpeg
    #48 5 years ago

Did I miss a MET code update? How long ago was it?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Did I miss a MET code update? How long ago was it?

1.80 couple weeks back

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

1.80 couple weeks back

Cool, thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-going-to-buy-met-as-kiss-after-the-big-updates?hl=monkeyboypaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.