You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deadly_spawn_sell_sheet.jpg
DSCN0009.jpg
leslie_ted_5x7.jpg
images-2.jpeg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

Several people, in various discussions, said they're not going to buy WOZ because of the theme. The playfield design is definitely cool, and the art package is truly something special. But do you think the theme will be a major problem among collectors? More power to JJP and what they're doing, but I don't think playing as a little girl with ruby slipper flippers is a very attractive idea for most people.

#3 12 years ago

i think they are appealing to a very wide audience (very old movie). they are pre-sold for what, 1k units? Not bad for a first pin when you look at it. I only hope the next theme is a little more current.

#4 12 years ago

I'm not a big OZ fan, so I would not buy it - but I hope lots of other people buy it so they can make the next game with some demons, fire, a warlock and a half naked woman.

#5 12 years ago

It will have great appeal to those that are very pro WMS-Bally that would never buy a Stern.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

but I hope lots of other people buy it so they can make the next game with some demons, fire, a warlock and a half naked woman.

That was awesome!

#7 12 years ago

There is Elvira 3...

#8 12 years ago

For a pinball company just getting it's legs WOZ was a perfect theme to choose. A universally known theme that appeals to people young and old the world over. Sure it may not be the sexiest subject matter in the world, but it provides a lot of content to make a great playing game.

I haven't watched the movie in at least 20 years, but I bought one to help give life to a new pinball company and because of the possibilities the theme provides for compelling gameplay.

Plus, how often do you get the chance to buy the first pin from a new pinball company?

#9 12 years ago

yes, I'm absolutely concerned about WOZ sales.. concerned that I'm too poor to buy one

but seriously, i know of at least a dozen guys on another forum that have pre-ordered the LE, and I'm sure it's going to be incredible. I can't wait to see what the LCD will be like.

#10 12 years ago

No, they sold out there initial 1000, and are at work on the next 1000 and the machine is not out yet. I hope they do well enough that they will hit upon a theme that I do like. I like the fact that they are trying to move pinball forward with innovation, and a unique design.

I'm pulling for both companies to keep numbers high enough to stay in business.

#11 12 years ago

I personally don't choose to be concerned about something outside of my circle of influence.
I'm glad people are buying it and look forward to playing dollars to play an operated one.

#12 12 years ago

Not concerned because I'm not selling them. :0)

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

For a pinball company just getting it's legs WOZ was a perfect theme to choose. A universally known theme that appeals to people young and old the world over. Sure it may not be the sexiest subject matter in the world, but it provides a lot of content to make a great playing game.

I haven't watched the movie in at least 20 years, but I bought one to help give life to a new pinball company and because of the possibilities the theme provides for compelling gameplay.

Plus, how often do you get the chance to buy the first pin from a new pinball company?

That's why I ordered one as well. Plus, I do like the theme.

#14 12 years ago

I'm sorry, but Judy Garland and Bert Lahr just don't do it for me. I do hope that JJP makes it and I'll prolly pre-order one with "some demons, fire, a warlock and a half naked woman." I just wish that the 75 year old movie theme wasn't plastered all over the translite, playfield and cabinet. Of course, I really don't like licensed movie themes anyway, but that's what attracted the youngsters who put their $ in the arcade games. Since pinball has moved from the arcades to our homes, we need some original creativity (read unlicensed) in the theme set. If it's a good game design, build it and it will sell.
the other Skip

#15 12 years ago

They are selling good already and they are not even out yet sooo. Yes they will sell great. I bet they sell about 5000.

I'm in on the LE. can't wait.

#16 12 years ago

I'm in on the LE. can't wait.

High Five!

images-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg

#17 12 years ago

when will they be shipping is the question

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

when will they be shipping is the question

That is the question I keep asking myself, waiting on the answer. I am driving up from Illinois in Late July and I hope to bring mine back with me. If it is not ready I will have to spend 700-800 more on shipping to get it here.

Quoted from HighProtein:

I personally don't choose to be concerned about something outside of my circle of influence

DITO

#19 12 years ago

I really would like ANY new company to come in and become a player.
But they shouldn't get that position by default, so I really hope JJP are successful, but not if their game sucks.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#20 12 years ago

well put jarjar
i have some ordered if some one missed the boat on this
Pincades.
JT

#21 12 years ago

I spoke with Elvira over the weekend. She says there is some discussion about it, but nothing concrete...no deal...no contract...just talk.

#22 12 years ago

There crappy themes that are great, and great themes with crappy machines.

It will sell fine with the theme.

People like to jump all over unreleased machines, and praise and bash. The smallest software decisions can make a game great or weak. It's too early.

#23 12 years ago

As long as the theme isn't forcefully bad, it doesn't matter.

I'm also looking forward to something with demons and fire and half-naked ladies - but WOZ is a much better theme for JJP's first pin. Nothing objectionable about WOZ, wide appeal, everyone knows what it is, most people have seen some version of it.

The theme is honestly the last thing I'm worried about with regards to WOZ - the theme will do well.

What I'm worried about is the software. I'm VERY worried about the software. With a DMD, you have 4096 greyscale (er, orangescale) pixels to fill with information.

You can afford to have crap animations. Hell, Stern's been taking movie footage, shrinking it down to like 80x32 pixels (or something like that) on the DMD, with hardly any post-processing, it looks like an orange blur, but they can get away with that, because the DMD lowers the standard of graphics expected.

On an LCD, there are over 1 million pixels of full color that need to be filled with something that doesn't look like crap. Just producing the animations and art for that is a lot of content to create. And that's assuming the software platform itself is done and ready to have animations plugged in (rumor has it that this is not the case). Looking at Jack's team, I don't see the graphics people, and I don't see the software people, that he needs to pull this off. I'm reminded a bit of that Pat Lawlor interview about Pinball 2000, where he noted that Pinball 2000 games required, effectively, both a pinball design team and a video game design team - I think they'll have the same problem with a pinball game featuring an LCD screen, and I'm not confident that Jack recognized that when he committed to the LCD screen. He should have kept his mouth shut about the LCD screen from the start, so as to have an out - if everything hit the fan with the software, he could abort and go with a DMD system for his first (or first few) pins until he got the LCD screen platform ironed out.

#24 12 years ago

I don't know what it says about my masculinity, but I was a giant WOZ fan growing up. I just watched it a few nights ago actually. Wish I could afford it. Hopefully someone in my area will let me play theirs.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

I don't see the graphics people

The most recent update last week had a graphics person from across the pond added. The name eludes me and my cell isn't on me to check.

#26 12 years ago

Display Art is coming from The Netherlands. His name is Jean-Paul:
http://www.jp-design.nl/

Will be great!

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

The most recent update last week had a graphics person from across the pond added. The name eludes me and my cell isn't on me to check.

That's good news, but the game is scheduled to go into production next month...

To be clear, I've got high hopes for WOZ. I think the software required by the LCD is the only thing that could sink WOZ. I have no doubts about the theme, the PF looks good (lot of innovation, but not too much_), we've seen the cabinet art, and I have no doubts about the PF art. I also trust Jack and co with the ruleset.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There crappy themes that are great, and great themes with crappy machines.

+1 Another great thing that I love about pinball.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm not a big OZ fan, so I would not buy it - but I hope lots of other people buy it so they can make the next game with some demons, fire, a warlock and a half naked woman.

+1

#30 12 years ago

Jack isn't being 100% transparent here. I'm sure there have been others working on the digital art and software for some time now. I know he wouldn't make a tremendous claim about presentation with an LCD and wait until the absolute last minute to hire anyone for it.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Stern's been taking movie footage, shrinking it down to like 80x32 pixels (or something like that) on the DMD, with hardly any post-processing, it looks like an orange blur, but they can get away with that, because the DMD lowers the standard of graphics expected ...

This is where the LCD will really shine, since they can use full HD clips from the movie. Of course, they will have to supplement these with animation created specifically for the game. I can't wait to see the finished product.

#32 12 years ago

I'm still waiting for the FORBIDDEN PLANET machine! Ya got the Girl, the flying saucer, the Ray Guns, the Id Monster...and, of course, Robby the Robot! Would be my first NIB.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'm still waiting for the FORBIDDEN PLANET machine! Ya got the Girl, the flying saucer, the Ray Guns, the Id Monster...and, of course, Robby the Robot!

What we need is a Leslie Nielsen trilogy ... Forbidden Planet, Airplane! and The Naked Gun. I'd buy all three NIB in a heartbeat!

#34 12 years ago

Leslie was a friend. He is missed!

leslie_ted_5x7.jpgleslie_ted_5x7.jpg

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

That's good news, but the game is scheduled to go into production next month...

Last month Jack announced that production is scheduled to begin on March 13, 2012. I don't mind the delay. I'd rather they get it right than rush it into production.

#36 12 years ago

From the buzz, I think they're selling fine. I will say this though, no matter what ends up happening, I do really enjoy the way that JJP has re-interpreted the way a pinball manufacturer interacts with its customers. All the little updates and emails and letters are getting people pumped about their pin. Hype is a good thing, and hopefully Stern realizes the same thing.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Last month Jack announced that production is scheduled to begin on March 13, 2012. I don't mind the delay. I'd rather they get it right than rush it into production.

Good to know, and I would prefer that too. I very much want WOZ (and hence JJP) to be a success.

Quoted from Crash:

Jack isn't being 100% transparent here. I'm sure there have been others working on the digital art and software for some time now. I know he wouldn't make a tremendous claim about presentation with an LCD and wait until the absolute last minute to hire anyone for it.

I sure hope this is the case. I think it would be very easy to underestimate the amount of work needed for this sort of element, resulting in a large delay as the start of production drew near, and hiring of more graphics people well into development process...

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Leslie was a friend. He is missed!

I'm starting to think you're just good with photoshop

#39 12 years ago

Hah! Or a film director...

#40 12 years ago

Am I THAT good...

DSCN0009.jpgDSCN0009.jpg

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Last month Jack announced that production is scheduled to begin on March 13, 2012. I don't mind the delay.

What was stated in the 10/2 update was "a tentative start to factory production of March 13, 2012". On the WOZ Google Group, Jack has clarified that this means final assembly. He says "production" will still begin in mid December, which means parts and assemblies, etc. So it kind of depends on how you define "production" as to whether anything is delayed or not.

#42 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

spoke with Elvira over the weekend. She says there is some discussion about it, but nothing concrete...no deal...no contract...just talk.

Bummer, I was hoping it was more than just talk.

#43 12 years ago

She said absolutely nothing but talk.

#44 12 years ago

Also the rumor they may go with the fully designed white wood game that a designer showed him recently....

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

What was stated in the 10/2 update was "a tentative start to factory production of March 13, 2012". On the WOZ Google Group, Jack has clarified that this means final assembly. He says "production" will still begin in mid December, which means parts and assemblies, etc. So it kind of depends on how you define "production" as to whether anything is delayed or not.

Good point. I guess I look at production as the final assembly of the machine, but you're right... There's definitely a distinction to be made there.

#46 12 years ago

I think it's a good theme, it's family friendly, it can be sold to places that get a lot of kids in - let's face it arcades are nearly dead, you have to think about where these things will be sited.

I would have preferred Alice in Wonderland though, based on the animated version. I'd have preordered a LE of that and sold a kidney to pay for it. Popaduik made a one-off with that theme, the Church of the Silver Ball has it.

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

What I'm worried about is the software. I'm VERY worried about the software. With a DMD, you have 4096 greyscale (er, orangescale) pixels to fill with information.

You can afford to have crap animations. Hell, Stern's been taking movie footage, shrinking it down to like 80x32 pixels (or something like that) on the DMD, with hardly any post-processing, it looks like an orange blur, but they can get away with that, because the DMD lowers the standard of graphics expected.

On an LCD, there are over 1 million pixels of full color that need to be filled with something that doesn't look like crap. Just producing the animations and art for that is a lot of content to create. And that's assuming the software platform itself is done and ready to have animations plugged in (rumor has it that this is not the case). Looking at Jack's team, I don't see the graphics people, and I don't see the software people, that he needs to pull this off.

First of all,

You'd be surprised what some highly motivated people can pull off. I know you don't know me, but I do have some experience in making a game.

I mean, if you're fine with crap DMD animations and recycled rules, that's awesome. I would ALMOST say that it doesn't matter what we put on the screen, it's guaranteed to look better than DMD anything, but I know that's not the case.

I suspect in the next couple days with the opening of iPlay, people will be a little surprised at what we'll be able to pull off. If that doesn't change your mind, then I suppose I will wind up speechless, which is a pretty rare state for me to be in.

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

First of all, []

You'd be surprised what some highly motivated people can pull off. I know you don't know me, but I do have some experience in making a game.

I mean, if you're fine with crap DMD animations and recycled rules, that's awesome. I would ALMOST say that it doesn't matter what we put on the screen, it's guaranteed to look better than DMD anything, but I know that's not the case.

I suspect in the next couple days with the opening of iPlay, people will be a little surprised at what we'll be able to pull off. If that doesn't change your mind, then I suppose I will wind up speechless, which is a pretty rare state for me to be in.

I'm sure JJP"s outcome will be great with WOZ,Keep up the great work
and i can't wait to see WOZ in action.

#49 12 years ago

Looking forward to WOZ.....

And so hoping that it succeeds as it is the unlicensed pin that is really exiting to me. If the theme is good, with the creativity available and no restrictions, this could be one to savour

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Looking forward to WOZ.....

I am too!JJP's team is top notch and they will get it right,Keith has already proven what He can do and I expect nothing short of amazing out of him on WOZ!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 5.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-concerned-about-woz-sales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.