• 235 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are You Buying POTC”

• Heck yeah, already have it pre-ordered! The playfield, artwork, and gameplay look amazing. Who cares if there is no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts? 73 votes
    28%
  • Probably. I have not put down a refundable pre-order yet. I am waiting to see what the final game looks like. Limited license rights is somewhat concerning, but it is not a deal killer. 38 votes
    15%
  • Probably not. Limited license rights and incorporation of licensed material has me greatly concerned. But I am still holding out hope that JJP incorporates more into the game in the final product. 30 votes
    11%
  • There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin themed on a 5-movie franchise with no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts other than Mr. Gibbs. 120 votes
    46%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5A25B93-CF99-4067-99B3-50AD6DFB6E1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 6 years ago

Is this a poll or did you feel the need to show how unhappy you are with how it's licensed with the actors and music? lol Doesn't seem like a Poll when Every choice reflects your opinion of their direction on licensing. Looks more like a fuel post.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

They can’t have the actors plastered all over the machine and not have decent clips of the movies on it. It’s gonna be a flop if this is the case. Thankfully for JJP many of us have still to buy a DI

Gonna be a flop, LOL Says one person. Based on the Hundreds of orders in my guess is your assumption is incorrect. If I want to watch the actors I will rent the DVD. Most everyone else is buying it for the incredible amount of creative technology and Created awesome software code. Not video clips.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious from those of you who have played this, does the game have a one more game feel, and a good level of adrenaline rush going on? The videos I see seem to always sound quiet, and it's hard to tell sounds. I'm debating between this and SW premium. Obviously potc has much more going on, but is it really as fun and exciting as people are saying?

I played it several times and while I Am a biased CE order holder I feel like its a typical JJP title at its base. Meaning, it is not a game you will just walk up to with a hand full of quarters and Fully understand all the rules and modes where as a typical Stern (as they market them) you can walk up for the most part and just start hammering away. Instant gratification vs Long Deep code and ruleset. Having played the Stern SW I personally did not love it. In my opinion only I felt like you could See and Feel how much they had to pay for the license due to the sparse layout and limited shot layout. Not hating on Stern as they really do have a few Really creative titles even some like Batman 66 that are Finally coming around with code updates ensuring a classic. The SW not so much. The POTCJJP in my eye was an absolutely beautiful execution with a very well thought out plan for game play as well as code at All levels from base too CE. Fun all around with by Far the most diverse shot selection I have seen in a pinball title for a long time. Just Fun which is why I made the leap without hesitation! Not a promotion but I would suggest Houdini from API coming out this to next month over SW. Just better bang for your buck and they are putting a lot more value in the game and less in a license and it shows. Good Luck with Your decision!!

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So SE is $500 up; Thanks. As usual people are just inflating the price to make a point.

lol Its always more valid with CE pricing and UPS NDA shipping value mark up! Don't like the price, there are plenty of other titles available.... The only way any of these price opinions will matter is if they don't Sell any. That does not look like the case and the market has spoken on interest. Game, code, title, price is not for everyone though I have never seen a pin that has pulled off That miracle combo!

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a little pet peeve of mine. All i heard was that DI was over 9K to buy when I bought mine for well under; shit I almost thought I was getting a deal

Agreed. Plus if you are paying for shipping on a NIB JJP you Need to find a new distributor or brush up on your negotiating skills! Especially if you are paying $500 over OEM list! lol

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

$9,500 is for the LE which is the model most folks will buy.
What am I missing?

So your math and formula is based on an Assumption of what the market Will do on a game that is not made or sold currently? Interesting speculation though it Seems a bit Assumed. Batman 66 SLE cost 15k and I am certain that is what everyone wanted and purchased! Stern is robbing people and those cost $700 to ship. Thats what I assume lol

1 month later
#153 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Thanks for posting such a well written, concise opinion. I am confident that code will improve as production nears.
One thing code and mechanics can not improve is the lack of the licensed assets.
I have a deposit down on the CE. For me to spent this much on a game, I really want to see more "Pirates of the Caribbean". I have no problem waiting till summer to see if Jack can get more "Jack" in the game.
There are so many great NIB options coming down the pike and I can't buy them all. So for close to 13K I will be very picky on which game to purchase this year.
I purchased WOZ/LE and Hobbit/SE without playing them. I will not be doing that with JJPoTC, these times are a changin'

Sorry I don't understand your post? You say you will not buy early again yet you say you have a deposit on the most expensive CE model? Seems like you made your choice early?

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

I said that I will not purchase Pirates until I play it first. I purchased WOZ/LE and Hobbit/SE with out playing them first. I really love those games appreciating the passion and risk that went into producing them. I paid in full at announcement, wanting to support Jack to help get a new pinball company off the ground. JJP is doing well but the price has doubled since WOZ was announced. I put a refundable deposit down on JJPoTC CE. At this price I want to play the game before committing to almost 13K.
JJPoTC CE probably won't ship till summer at the earliest so lots of time to evaluate other options before the balance is due on Pirates. If something else looks better it is easy to make the move or if Pirates does not hit all right "notes". ☠️(hint to get more original music into this game)☠️

Makes sense and a fair business decision. I will bet however if you are holding off unless they find a new found license for music etc you waiting for no reason and should buy something else. It would make No sense for them to release a game, promote it, sell it, establish final pricing, THEN go back and see if they can pay $$$$$$ for additional assets. I am in on a CE myself and as a Pinball machine it will Certainly be one of the best for at least this year and set the bar pretty high for others to follow. I will drop in a Blue Ray or CD if I want to watch or hear actors, I am in it to play pinball and they hit That out of the park!

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

Since there are only 200 CE's no problem putting down a small deposit to hold a spot on a game that may sell out. I liked the art package better on the CE vs the LE. Jack had a lot of surprises with WOZ and Hobbit as production neared. Possibly based on feed back here and elsewhere he may opt to surprise us again. It is still quite a ways till production games roll off the line.
You say they hit it out of the park, sounds like you have played the game. I have not had that opportunity yet. Hoping that they do hit it out of the park with includes licensed assets for me. No doubt it will be a nice game but at 13K it has to be an awesome game!

Yes. Played it several dozen times at Expo this year and now that that put a test machine at 257 near me it’s easier to calm my impatience. Lol. I can understand why many choose to judge this game and it’s assumed shortcomings but my guess is Most with complaints have not played it. In person the machine is truly a work of art. The CE to me was what I would describe as close to perfect (excluding the Lack of matching coin door umphh). Appearance aside the play,fit,feel, and incredible animations made this rather expensive decision worth it to me. Even brought my wife in to play it to see if I was insane and within 2 games she agreed we Need to get this! Trust me, she Rarely says that about any pinball ever! Yes they will be creating there own script and sounds for this machine but for me I appreciate that incredible effort. Plus (my opinion!!) I feel simply clipping and pasting DVD and sound clips to a software piece is Less then creative personally. JJP Writing their Own code and creating your own content is Way more impressive to me. I have a DVD available should I need to ogle Johnny Deep. Lol. Not!

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe Matt with Back Alley creations can whip something up for you.
LTG : )

Trust me, he Will be getting a call! Lol. How with all that art from top to bottom they opted to skimp on the coin door on CE is beyond me? Now THAT last minute improvement from JJP would be a justified and very welcome surprise! At Least for CE #17 please lolol

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

With everybody watching the topper, why bother with the coin door ? And they need it fully functioning. Coin chutes and bill validator holes. Hard to decorate around them and work for every owner.
Anybody really wanting barnacles on the coin door can get it done.
LTG : )

LTG, maybe I presented my plea incorrectly. I have no interest in barnacling the coin door as I too agree that would be a personal taste. My point was the CE uses a Special powder coat color on the legs, rails, arms, etc to set it apart yet they left the stock black coin door? Pretty sure Many have made this same plea as well. Not a bitch just a huh kind of view. Seeing as Matt is doing All of the Other pieces one would assume letting him complete his/their masterpiece would be in order. Plus I will call You every day for service to complain about it! Lol

1 week later
#181 6 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

It's not always about the money ... pinball real estate is a key factor for myself the home user and as much as this pin looks great, I will not use up an available spot for a 25% license and just like that, I WILL PASS! The poll says it all on this thread and hopefully manufactures read and learn that big cash is being left on the table when you stop short.

Actually, what the goofy poll on this thread proves is the OP also has a personal issue with the license as it is the core of EVERY selection! lol Played JJP POTC this week and headed up to play it again tomorrow afternoon at the 257. Can't describe how great this machine is and how well it plays, Even without a the Disney ride music! I hum Its a Small World to take my mind off it.

2 weeks later
#213 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Any word on what this laser cut topper the LE is supposed to come with looks like?

It looks similar to the Stern Star Wars R2D2 topper, non existent! Knowing JJP, they will hit it out of the park like most things they do. They have yet to let me down yet.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Funny about the R2-D2, I'm wanting this as well. Where the hell is it already!
The laser potc topper you would think has to be designed at this point and am surprised they aren't showing it with the LE so you know what your getting. I had a LE ordered and cancelled but am reconsidering now since it appears the next Stern is likely to be Iron Maiden. Was hoping for a Beatles machine so might be a good time to buy my first JJP!

Just an Assumption but with the big March Texas show my guess is the Oems will want Something to unveil. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Both toppers unveiled?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yelobird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-buying-potc?tu=yelobird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.