• 235 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are You Buying POTC”

• Heck yeah, already have it pre-ordered! The playfield, artwork, and gameplay look amazing. Who cares if there is no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts? 73 votes
    28%
  • Probably. I have not put down a refundable pre-order yet. I am waiting to see what the final game looks like. Limited license rights is somewhat concerning, but it is not a deal killer. 38 votes
    15%
  • Probably not. Limited license rights and incorporation of licensed material has me greatly concerned. But I am still holding out hope that JJP incorporates more into the game in the final product. 30 votes
    11%
  • There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin themed on a 5-movie franchise with no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts other than Mr. Gibbs. 120 votes
    46%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5A25B93-CF99-4067-99B3-50AD6DFB6E1F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

I'm considering buying an LE but waiting to see how the game looks and plays once the code develops more. The lack of original actor callouts from the film is concerning to me considering the asking price.

However, Keith does incredible code work and this will be the deepest pinball ruleset ever created. Combine that with David Thiel on audio, JP on animations, and an awesome layout and toy offering and you have what should be an incredible pin.

1 week later
#48 6 years ago

Right now I'm on the fence. Why?

The game cost nearly $10k and doesn't feature the movies actor audio. To paraphrase the movie Hook, lol, "What would POTC be without Captain Jack Sparrow"? Not having Johnny Depp's audio / video as Captain Jack Sparrow is a huge bummer in my opinion, as is not having the other actors audio and video. From what I read it sounds like this is an issue due to licensing on Disney's end. As far as not having the original music I don't think that's a big deal as licensed music never has a pinball vibe to it and David Thiel will knock the music and audio for the game out of the park.

I also want to see how the code develops for the game. Myself and a lot of other Hobbit owners are still waiting on that games code to be completed and polished. I'm sure it will be completed but since its not at this time I won't be preordering another JJP game until it is.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I to was disappointed with the lack of video assets, but this can be worked around if the music and call outs are great. The play field looks great and unique for sure, and looks like a ton of variety. My only concern right now is the lack of exciting modes/sounds from what I can tell. I know code is early and it's even harder to tell from videos just how much the game pulls you in. My family loves potc as a theme and we prefer jjp games over Stern, but the price is making me second guess. If the code developes into what I'm hoping is exciting sequences and a journey style ruleset, then I'll be all in. As SW sits now, the sights and sounds, and quick game play is definitely intriguing, but I'm having a hard time finding the price justified for nothing more than basically the video/sound assets. Ultimately I hope potc has that one more game feel with a great journey full of adrenaline rush moments. I think my pinball tastes have become more demanding when the companies prices demanded more.

I hear ya there about becoming more demanding as prices have repeatedly gone up. Agree 100%.

The excellent use of licensed assets for SW led me to picking up a very nice HUO LE this weekend. While I'm not very fond of the pro model due to a lack of features I think that the premium / LE have a good amount going on feature wise. When I finally played an LE I thought "wow, this game has more going on then I originally thought".

Honestly, I rather have one less feature or two and instead have the original actor audio and video then not have either.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If the price on this really 10K? JJP raised their prices 2K?

$8500 standard, $9500 LE, $12,500 CE. Figure another $200-$300 for shipping.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm certainly interested in your opinion on SW Le. I keep thinking of the SW game and it seems fun. It's amazing how my entire family was against SW once we seen it, and they all want potc. The thing is, I play them the most, so I want one that will hold my interest and have exciting modes to get to.

The mode structure and overall ruleset design helped draw me to Star Wars. I prefer games with objective based modes and Star Wars has a lot of them. More importantly Star Wars breaks up those modes into sections with each section having their own mini wizard mode.

The mini wizard modes remind of Destroy the Ring in that getting their is rewarding and occurs more frequently then getting to the main wizard mode. Then there's 9 multiball modes on top of that + a main wizard mode. Lots to see and do.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This is probably not the thread but how do you like the hyperdrive? Personally, I really enjoy it but there’s a big BUT for me on it. The LE I played was a very clunky shot and bricked a lot. And unfortunately, on the videos I’ve seen of the shot dialed in and working smooth as butter from either flipper (which looked awesome), also had a few ball traps behind the fork ramp which resulted in having to wait for a ball search. So there’s two battles in this design, one is consistency and flow of the actual shot; and the other is ball traps with ball searches.
To stay on JPOTC topic; I’m not too bummed about the lack of movie audio queues, but I do hope they get A supporting role of audio to accompany Gibbs.

A supporting role to accompany the Gibbs custom callouts would help a lot. If JJP could hire a Jack Sparrow sound a like I think that would help add a comedic factor to the game that the movies often show. The Jack Sparrow sound a like from Sterns game is pretty spot on to Johnny Depps voice.

In regards to the Hyperloop on Star Wars I think it's an awesome toy, very cool overall. I didn't see any issues with it when I tried it at the original owners house. I believe some issues with the fork ramp have been corrected with one of the latest code updates.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This is Definitely the type of rules I look for. I'm curious if potc is similar in rules with mini wizard modes and a final. I just can't tell how the code and rules are designed on it.

From what I can tell and read there are 125 modes in POTC, 25 of which get randomly picked with 5 assigned to each of the 5 movies. There then appears to be a multiball mode insert for each movie. I'm not sure if there's also a mini wizard mode for each movie. Also not sure if the 5 modes for a movie need to be completed to start that movies multiball.

1 week later
#80 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well one thing's for sure, jjPotC will get a lot more software support for a longer period than Star Wars.

Hmmm. I don't understand this comment as code support for Star Wars has been excellent. The game now has 16 main modes broken up into 4 sections, planets, each with its own mini wizard mode. Then there's multiple multiball modes, other special modes (example Lightsaber Duel), and a main wizard mode. Star Wars doesn't need 125 modes to match POTC ruleset.

What exist today in Sterns Star Wars ruleset is a very complete, deep and unique gameplay experience. Star Wars modes also feature licensed assets including actor audio and video, licensed music and custom music.

With 125 modes POTC will need to have more software support then Star Wars to create a similar engaging and cohesive gameplay experience. I also hope that the game features more audio lines then just Gibbs as 125 modes with only Gibbs callouts will become repetitive quickly. JJP has the king of objective based rulesets on its team so I'm going to bet the final ruleset will be great.

I've bashed Stern plenty over the years but they delivered with Star Wars. It's time to give credit where credit is due.

1 month later
#130 6 years ago

Option #4 pretty much sums up how I feel. This game is almost $10k for an LE and for that type of dough a pin based on a modern theme should come with original actor audio and video. To spend that type of money I expect, especially after owning games like The Hobbit and Stern's Star Wars, that the actor audio and video for a majority of the characters will be in the game.

JJP's POTC needs at least 1 more custom callout actor and a Jack sound-a-like would be perfect. Stern was able to get a Jack sound-a-like voice actor approved for its game so why not for JJP as well? Jack Sparrow is the POTC movies and not hearing him at all in the pin seems odd. I think 125 modes with only hearing Gibbs will become tiring after a while. Hope I'm wrong.

Has the game been shown with newer code then what was presented at Expo? It seems like JJP may be waiting to show the game with more completed, or near complete code, until the game is closer to shipping?

1 week later
#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So completely hypothetically speaking; after listening to the head2head interview with Eric (which was amazing btw) - it’s my thought that a lot of R&D, labor hours, programming, and $ are invested in the spinning disk toy. So for you guys that wish there were more licensed assets like the sound track and/or movie clips here’s a nice little would you rather:
Would you rather have that money spent on the licensed theme music and some of the movie clips with no spinning disk toy - instead just regular pf artwork in that spot. Or.....would you rather keep the spinning disk toy in all its glory with 200+ rewarding gameplay features and ball interaction and no additional license assets?
Me? I’d rather have the latter (keep the disk). In the end, gameplay rules and how the theme is integrated are all that matter to me. I believe they can (and will) integrate the theme very well without all these license assets a lot of people are complaining about.
And Eric, if you’re reading - house Martell sucks, it’s a grind and is even a little more riskier when lighting essential HOTK houses; house Tyrell and I’d even argue Baratheon is where it’s at of course, Greyjoy is always challenging and can be used for a nice 15+ bil game but that house is big risk/ big reward! Can’t wait to play JJPOTC, it’s on my radar and looks stellar - would love to get one, I just hope I can find room in my pocketbook

I would choose the assets in this case as the game would still have a lot of features. Licensed audio and voice assets are vital in bringing a licensed theme to life.

1 week later
#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I just got to watch some of the test stream on jjplive. Watching and hearing this game be played by people who know the rules, looks amazing! And for those concerned about the music license, no worries - David Thiel nailed it...sounds intense, energetic, and not as repetitious as the theme music - in fact the main pin theme music sounds like the main movie music taken to another level. If I had to criticize anything, it would be that another supporting sound character next to Gibbs would help.
Otherwise, this thing looks great - can’t wait for Wednesday’s stream; and so glad JJP is going to have one or two of these in CA next month for arcade expo - look forward to playing after watching the tutorial. Well done and keep up the hard work JJP.

That's great to hear, looking forward to the stream!

I hear ya about the game needing another supporting sound character next to Gibbs. Honestly, that's one of my main hold ups about the game right now. Kevin McNally as Gibbs is great to have in the game but for that to be the only voice ever heard in a game that covers 5 movies and costs nearly $10k is a bit of a bummer. JJP should get another voice actor in the game, ideally a Jack Sparrow sound-a-like (like Stern did), to add some humor elements to the game and play off Gibbs like the movies do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-buying-potc?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.