• 235 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are You Buying POTC”

• Heck yeah, already have it pre-ordered! The playfield, artwork, and gameplay look amazing. Who cares if there is no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts? 73 votes
    28%
  • Probably. I have not put down a refundable pre-order yet. I am waiting to see what the final game looks like. Limited license rights is somewhat concerning, but it is not a deal killer. 38 votes
    15%
  • Probably not. Limited license rights and incorporation of licensed material has me greatly concerned. But I am still holding out hope that JJP incorporates more into the game in the final product. 30 votes
    11%
  • There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin themed on a 5-movie franchise with no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts other than Mr. Gibbs. 120 votes
    46%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5A25B93-CF99-4067-99B3-50AD6DFB6E1F (resized).jpeg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Poll says it all. I would really like to know your perspectives.

#2 6 years ago

Well I'm cash poor right now but the theme does less than nothing for me. That doesn't mean it won't be good or I wouldn't buy it, just that I wont be seeking it out anytime soon.

I also don't think it's $9500.

#3 6 years ago

I'm more of a probably but the "lack of license rights doesn't bother me." Just based on what I played at Expo, I was very interested.

#4 6 years ago

I'm considering buying an LE but waiting to see how the game looks and plays once the code develops more. The lack of original actor callouts from the film is concerning to me considering the asking price.

However, Keith does incredible code work and this will be the deepest pinball ruleset ever created. Combine that with David Thiel on audio, JP on animations, and an awesome layout and toy offering and you have what should be an incredible pin.

#5 6 years ago

For me it's actually a plus Depp's voice isn't in it...I could see that getting really irritating.

#6 6 years ago

Poll doesn't include "I'm already studying what I can so I'm ready for tech support".

Game had a good showing at Expo. Games will sell. I'll be ready.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

I'm in the market for one more pin and it's between potc and SW premium. SW seems fun, and it's my favorite theme, but it is a little bare and I'm not sure code will be deep enough to keep interest long. Potc on the other hand is full of features, is a jjp built pin, deep rules, and has a wow factor. My concern is like other's, in that I'm waiting to see how the audio and clips factor in. I want to see the game sound amazing and create intense modes and game play. SW has cool wizard modes that do that. My family wants potc, but I keep thinking about SW. I prefer jjp pins, but I want an exciting pin, so again, waiting to see more code and audio.

#8 6 years ago

I was insanely hot to buy it the weekend it was unveiled. I talked with a few distributors, watched every video and interview posted, and read every thread here about it. (And thought Omg i have to pre-order or else I'll be waiting half a year to get one)

Now that I've returned to reality, I'm planning on trying to play it pre release and make my decision then.

I'd have to sell my TAF to make room for it, but I'm thinking it might be a great for my single pin collection.

The lack of clips and sounds from the movies don't bother me. I don't even like the films very much. Im hoping as pins go, it will be among the very best. I can't say say that about the film (I've only seen the first one and don't plan on seeing any others) Now if they made a Donnie Brosco themed pin with depp's Call outs, I'm in! Lol

#9 6 years ago

The price of a NIB pinball from JJP is too much for most people. The majority of purchasers are wealthy collectors who can afford these great machines. I think Jersey Jack makes a great product, too bad the average joe can’t afford them.

#10 6 years ago

I actually dig the lack of movie assets. I'd have preferred no movie references and a just pirate theme.

It's the most interesting machine I've ever seen, will buy.

#11 6 years ago

Interesting thoughts from a lot of people. We are on the fence on this one. We are going to wait and see how development progresses. It would great if they could at least get the theme song for attract mode and/or multiball and at least a handful of movie clips/callouts with Johnny Depp.

#12 6 years ago

I very well may down the road - I have one of my kids through college, another in the Coast Guard, and two in high school that will be in college in 3 and 2 years. So right now I am in 'hold on to your ass' mode.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

I actually dig the lack of movie assets. I'd have preferred no movie references and a just pirate theme.

I'm in the same place. I saw the first PotC movie, it was alright, didn't bother with the rest. But pirates in general is a good theme, with lots of material to work with.

I like the play field, the rocking upper, the discs, the compass. I like what JJP is bringing to the pinball market, and I wanted to support all that and my local distributor, so I'm in on an LE. If I hate it, I can eat the resale hit, and I'll still have supported all that other stuff. If I love it, great!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

Interesting thoughts from a lot of people. We are on the fence on this one. We are going to wait and see how development progresses. It would great if they could at least get the theme song for attract mode and/or multiball and at least a handful of movie clips/callouts with Johnny Depp.

I agree - I wouldn't count JJP out just yet. GOTG started with "no original songs - this sucks" then Stern released a version of the code with 2 key songs from the soundtrack. I'm hoping the same happens in a later version of JPOTC... just the main theme would be amazing. JJP is amazing, I know they will do everything in their power to make this insanely fun and enjoyable for everyone.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

The price of a NIB pinball from JJP is too much for most people. The majority of purchasers are wealthy collectors who can afford these great machines. I think Jersey Jack makes a great product, too bad the average joe can’t afford them.

You're correct.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

too bad the average joe can’t afford them.

The average Joe can't afford a lot of stuff. Mansion, limousine, trophy wife, exotic vacations.

But he can figure a way. Even starting with very little. Buy a pinball machine. Clean it up, fix it up, sell for more. Keep doing this, one at a time, two at a time, etc. etc. Plough all the money back into this until you get the pinball machine you want.

Sittin on your butt lamenting about what you can't afford doesn't get you anything. Get off your a** and get out there and make it happen.

Late 1970's to early 1980's I built an impressive brass model railroad collection by painting them for others. Just the money from my labor/painting them did it.

LTG : )

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

They do great on route. The only one we had poor player support on the route I help with was with Hobbit, and that was gone in less than 6 months. WoZ and Dialed In are great. These aren't $0.50/play or $0.75/play games, but if your route supports $1/play, you have a good split, and you keep machines up, they'll do well for you.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

The art direction and animations are STELLAR so far. Really impressive integration of the theme without being a filmstrip of the movies. The path JJP has chosen is superior to what's going on with GotG's screen.

#19 6 years ago

I put down on an LE, the only negative is I'm going to route it to 2k plays before I bring it home.

It looks amazing and even with guardians unveil I stayed with this on my deposit even though I prefer guardians theme-wise. The music doesn't bother me because David is great at making it blend, I could care less about who's voice is in the callouts. I do however want to see movie clips on the screen, if there isn't any I'll live but I really liked how hobbit was done in that aspect so am hoping for the best.

#20 6 years ago

I had a chance to play 8 or 10 games on JJPotc today at the automated event in Connecticut. Jack was there and having met him for the first time I must say he is quite the gentleman and a great embassador for pinball. I even saw him playing GOTG.

There were several DI'S there as well including a CE which I had never seen before and was impressed. It also felt the most refined of the DI'S I've played- but not sure why. After playing this and an LE with latest code today I feel like DI is the best shooter out there and a layout that was truly Dialed in over the 3 years Lawlor supposedly worked on it.

JJPotc is a fantastic game even though it was only a prototype and standard edition and early code. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. They did a great job designing a fast playing wide body.

I really want a JJPotc LE or a DI. And will have to reflect on the day to decide. I just wish I had the room and the cash for both!

#21 6 years ago

For those that have played JPOTC, how did the shots feel? Was the right ramp a feel good shot or more of nuisance since it goes to an upper pf everytime? What about left ramp, how’d that feel? Orbit shots? Upper flipper?

#22 6 years ago

I bought a Wizard, DILE and Hoobit Black Arrow for my arcades and they crushed it! I'm getting a POTC for sure.

#23 6 years ago

I'm very interested however I will be at the back of the line. I see no need to rush and might look for it second hand.

I'm thinking at least a year or so from now maybe longer.

#24 6 years ago

If I could afford it,,,,, Yes I would buy one. I personally like the theme and fan of the movies but don't really care if it's limited license rights or not. But can't afford to spend that kind of money on a game.

#25 6 years ago

I had $1,000 on the POTCCE but pulled out after a friend played the game and said it was "meh." Anyway, I'll get back in at a later date once I get to play it. Just putting down $9K on the last 4 games tapped me out for a while.

#26 6 years ago

I'll wait and see how this one develops ... I'm sure it will be fantastic game play and rules, but I want to see how well it hold up over time to see if it is problematic in any way. But then JJP #5 might sway me by that time.

My wife & I played it at Expo and we liked it, but ordered a DILE instead while we are waiting it out ... ya, that's my excuse.

#27 6 years ago

I was pretty set on getting a JJP game as my next purchase and I was sold after watching the first stream 10 minutes in. Can't wait for my LE.

#28 6 years ago

$9500 for a game is crazy. I just can't bring myself to put that into a single game. I could build a really fun little collection for that. A nice recent Stern Pro and 4 decent classics. Plus I'd have money left over for pizza and beer.

Out of those two choices, I'd pick the collection.

#29 6 years ago

WOZ was not my theme, TH was not my Theme, POTC is not my theme .... but I like all the games for gameplay (expect TH is sold already), art, sound, etc .... also DI as a licence free theme.
Therefor I ordered a LE and will see what they send. I dont give too much about original theme, sound, photoshoppictures ... make a nice pin with great flow and atmosphere like you did on WOZ and DI and I am with you !!

Looking forwart for this pin !

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

$9500 for a game is crazy. I just can't bring myself to put that into a single game. I could build a really fun little collection for that. A nice recent Stern Pro and 4 decent classics. Plus I'd have money left over for pizza and beer.
Out of those two choices, I'd pick the collection.

What If you have two games and only room for four, And have a budget of $15,000. Then, do you consider JPOTC?

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What If you have two games and only room for four, And have a budget of $15,000. Then, do you consider JPOTC?

Yep, plus a nice Stern pro or huo premium. Easy decision

#32 6 years ago

Is this a poll or did you feel the need to show how unhappy you are with how it's licensed with the actors and music? lol Doesn't seem like a Poll when Every choice reflects your opinion of their direction on licensing. Looks more like a fuel post.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Is this a poll or did you feel the need to show how unhappy you are with how it's licensed with the actors and music? lol Doesn't seem like a Poll when Every choice reflects your opinion of their direction on licensing. Looks more like a fuel post.

Sorry you feel that way. I honestly want to know whether people are going to buy this pin or not. There are clearly options in the poll if you like, or even love, the direction of the development of this game. If my displeasure with the use of the licensed material was apparent, it was unintentional -- innate writer's bias I guess.

#34 6 years ago

PinballSTAR's POTC Party - this Saturday 12/9 12-4pm at Pinball Gallery, Malvern, PA (outside Philly) - details here...

Want to attend ? Want to pre-order a POTC ? Email Joe Newhart / PinballSTAR Amusements at [email protected]...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstars-pirates-potc-launch-party-philly-area-sat-129#post-4093901

#35 6 years ago

I have room for two machines. I already have my DI LE in place. We went back and forth on what to get for the second machine for a while and got pretty close to getting a WOZ before POTC was announced. One of the only movies that the SO like better than wizard is pirates, that definitely made the choice easier. GOTG looks fun, but if I can only have two machines this felt like the right combo.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from VidiotGT:

I have room for two machines. I already have my DI LE in place. We went back and forth on what to get for the second machine for a while and got pretty close to getting a WOZ before POTC was announced. One of the only movies that the SO like better than wizard is pirates, that definitely made the choice easier. GOTG looks fun, but if I can only have two machines this felt like the right combo.

DI + POTC seems like it will be a great combo. DI for flow and depth. And POTC for an unorthodoxed layout with stacking and breadth.

#37 6 years ago

I was also thinking the ideal 2 machine collection would be DI and JJPOTC, but not having the space, I'll have to choose one or the other. Besides there a new electrostatic speaker I may want to buy that's about the price of a JJP pin (and actually quite a bargain at that price for the level of performance!)

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from VidiotGT:

Find a bigger room. Problem solved.

#39 6 years ago

Never! - then again I said Dialed in was insane- until I played it. Now I want one. Ignore me.

#40 6 years ago

They can’t have actors plastered all over the machine and not have decent clips of the movies on it. It’s gonna be a flop if this is the case. Thankfully for JJP many of us have still to buy a DI

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

They can’t have the actors plastered all over the machine and not have decent clips of the movies on it. It’s gonna be a flop if this is the case. Thankfully for JJP many of us have still to buy a DI

Gonna be a flop, LOL Says one person. Based on the Hundreds of orders in my guess is your assumption is incorrect. If I want to watch the actors I will rent the DVD. Most everyone else is buying it for the incredible amount of creative technology and Created awesome software code. Not video clips.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I put down on an LE, the only negative is I'm going to route it to 2k plays before I bring it home.
It looks amazing and even with guardians unveil I stayed with this on my deposit even though I prefer guardians theme-wise. The music doesn't bother me because David is great at making it blend, I could care less about who's voice is in the callouts. I do however want to see movie clips on the screen, if there isn't any I'll live but I really liked how hobbit was done in that aspect so am hoping for the best.

I'm sure that you know what you're doing, but I really don't understand. Why wouldn't you just buy an HUO one in a year for a 2k or so discount from new with no hassle rather than paying full blast for it, making 2k back from it being on route and then having a routed machine?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

I was insanely hot to buy it the weekend it was unveiled. I talked with a few distributors, watched every video and interview posted, and read every thread here about it. (And thought Omg i have to pre-order or else I'll be waiting half a year to get one)
Now that I've returned to reality, I'm planning on trying to play it pre release and make my decision then.

I was in the same boat (pun intended).

Stepping back, thinking about $10K on a machine is just too much for me. Not that I can't but its just SO much tied up in one toy.

Very different than guys with $10K original MMs or AFMs. They were probably scored for $2K.

#44 6 years ago

Curious from those of you who have played this, does the game have a one more game feel, and a good level of adrenaline rush going on? The videos I see seem to always sound quiet, and it's hard to tell sounds. I'm debating between this and SW premium. Obviously potc has much more going on, but is it really as fun and exciting as people are saying?

#45 6 years ago

I'm going to wait and order Toy Story from Joe @ PinballStar in a year or so.

Tim

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Curious from those of you who have played this, does the game have a one more game feel, and a good level of adrenaline rush going on? The videos I see seem to always sound quiet, and it's hard to tell sounds. I'm debating between this and SW premium. Obviously potc has much more going on, but is it really as fun and exciting as people are saying?

I played it several times and while I Am a biased CE order holder I feel like its a typical JJP title at its base. Meaning, it is not a game you will just walk up to with a hand full of quarters and Fully understand all the rules and modes where as a typical Stern (as they market them) you can walk up for the most part and just start hammering away. Instant gratification vs Long Deep code and ruleset. Having played the Stern SW I personally did not love it. In my opinion only I felt like you could See and Feel how much they had to pay for the license due to the sparse layout and limited shot layout. Not hating on Stern as they really do have a few Really creative titles even some like Batman 66 that are Finally coming around with code updates ensuring a classic. The SW not so much. The POTCJJP in my eye was an absolutely beautiful execution with a very well thought out plan for game play as well as code at All levels from base too CE. Fun all around with by Far the most diverse shot selection I have seen in a pinball title for a long time. Just Fun which is why I made the leap without hesitation! Not a promotion but I would suggest Houdini from API coming out this to next month over SW. Just better bang for your buck and they are putting a lot more value in the game and less in a license and it shows. Good Luck with Your decision!!

#47 6 years ago

The game does have an original score , it's just not the same as the movies .

#48 6 years ago

Right now I'm on the fence. Why?

The game cost nearly $10k and doesn't feature the movies actor audio. To paraphrase the movie Hook, lol, "What would POTC be without Captain Jack Sparrow"? Not having Johnny Depp's audio / video as Captain Jack Sparrow is a huge bummer in my opinion, as is not having the other actors audio and video. From what I read it sounds like this is an issue due to licensing on Disney's end. As far as not having the original music I don't think that's a big deal as licensed music never has a pinball vibe to it and David Thiel will knock the music and audio for the game out of the park.

I also want to see how the code develops for the game. Myself and a lot of other Hobbit owners are still waiting on that games code to be completed and polished. I'm sure it will be completed but since its not at this time I won't be preordering another JJP game until it is.

#49 6 years ago

I placed a deposit, but I too am now on the fence. The hang up for me is the lack of movie assets for the price being charged. I am struggling with the purpose of having a full tv screen as a backbox and not showing any clips or scenes from the movies. Whether you like the actors, the scenes, etc. doesn’t factor into the equation for me. Rather, i am perplexed as to why JJP is even paying for the license in the first place if it has no movie clips or scenes. I really want(ed) this machine, but I expected it was going to take it to the next level above Stern’s potc table. I get it that Stern’s table didn’t have the movie assets in it, but that was in the dmd era. This version doesn’t take it to the next level for me. It feels like an alternate take on the same idea; not the next level with a decade of technological advances behind it.

I am going to wait and see what further developments occur, but at nearly $10,000; good, bad, or indifferent; it sure ought to have some movie clips playing on that great big tv screen

#50 6 years ago

I to was disappointed with the lack of video assets, but this can be worked around if the music and call outs are great. The play field looks great and unique for sure, and looks like a ton of variety. My only concern right now is the lack of exciting modes/sounds from what I can tell. I know code is early and it's even harder to tell from videos just how much the game pulls you in. My family loves potc as a theme and we prefer jjp games over Stern, but the price is making me second guess. If the code developes into what I'm hoping is exciting sequences and a journey style ruleset, then I'll be all in. As SW sits now, the sights and sounds, and quick game play is definitely intriguing, but I'm having a hard time finding the price justified for nothing more than basically the video/sound assets. Ultimately I hope potc has that one more game feel with a great journey full of adrenaline rush moments. I think my pinball tastes have become more demanding when the companies prices demanded more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-buying-potc?hl=vdrums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.