• 235 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are You Buying POTC”

• Heck yeah, already have it pre-ordered! The playfield, artwork, and gameplay look amazing. Who cares if there is no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts? 73 votes
    28%
  • Probably. I have not put down a refundable pre-order yet. I am waiting to see what the final game looks like. Limited license rights is somewhat concerning, but it is not a deal killer. 38 votes
    15%
  • Probably not. Limited license rights and incorporation of licensed material has me greatly concerned. But I am still holding out hope that JJP incorporates more into the game in the final product. 30 votes
    11%
  • There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin themed on a 5-movie franchise with no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts other than Mr. Gibbs. 120 votes
    46%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5A25B93-CF99-4067-99B3-50AD6DFB6E1F (resized).jpeg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why not just enjoy jjPotC for 7-9 months and then cross the Toy Story bridge when it arrives?

Bc im still not sure about potc and the upper playfield and the rules. Not willing to gamble 10k on something im not sure of.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Bc im still not sure about potc and the upper playfield and the rules. Not willing to gamble 10k on something im not sure of.

10k? You're overpaying.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

10k? You're overpaying.

9500 plus shipping... close enough to 10k... much more than im willing to gamble...plus the theme dont do much for me.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This shipping with alpha or beta software then fixing it up over the next 6 months to a year should not be excused or tolerated. They've done it THREE TIMES in 12 months (Batman'66, Star Wars, Guardians), and NEVER before now.

I take it you never played X-Men when it first shipped. It shipped with feature test code only. Magneto couldn't even score... Stern has been doing this for years, nothing new at all.

As for code 1.0, you are aware that numbering system is entirely arbitrary, if Stern wanted to start at code 1.95 then it would start at 1.95, if they want to start at 4.23 it would be 4.23, it is entirely in their control and it is really odd to me that people are now asking other manufacturers how close to 1.0 they are shipping their games...Scott Denesi answered it best, "I can number the software whatever I want".

Anyway, I am passing on jjPotC. I'm still interested in DI, but not sure when I would get around to getting it. JJP makes great games, I wish they had Stern's licensed themes.

#105 6 years ago

Im in for the middle of the road one. Will be my first and prob only NIB.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I take it you never played X-Men when it first shipped. It shipped with feature test code only. Magneto couldn't even score... Stern has been doing this for years, nothing new at all.

They did it with Spiderman, too. What's new is that, numbering aside, they're MORE unfinished at shipping than they've ever been, AND they're taking longer to get to even basically functional. Batman'66 is by far the worst example, but GotG isn't far behind. I can't believe the people that are still cool enough with it to buy MORE.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They did it with Spiderman, too. What's new is that, numbering aside, they're MORE unfinished at shipping than they've ever been, AND they're taking longer to get to even basically functional. Batman'66 is by far the worst example, but GotG isn't far behind. I can't believe the people that are still cool enough with it to buy MORE.

SM wasn’t that bad...Battle Royale was as far as you could get though and then you had nothing to do. It didn’t even reset so you could try again. The outlines were shipped basically closed off as well. It was insanely easy to see everything in SM at that point.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

SM wasn’t that bad...Battle Royale was as far as you could get though and then you had nothing to do. It didn’t even reset so you could try again. The outlines were shipped basically closed off as well. It was insanely easy to see everything in SM at that point.

I "finished" it on location on the first try, so I remember that one very well. But still much further along than BM'66 or GotG at release. Can't even be compared.

#109 6 years ago

Put a deposit down on CE edition.I like the fact it's limited to 200 units and I,m not looking at Johnny Depp
That & TBL and I,m done

#110 6 years ago

9 grand for a new one?!!! I love the original and have seen them for $5000. Is the new one that much better?

#111 6 years ago

The secondary market on this gameau drop to 6k like Hobbit. WOZ seemed to hold better while it was less expensive. DI seems to be holding at 8k. It's all a gamble on games and if they retain value.

I'm not in, but really want to play it and wish a friend would buy one.

#112 6 years ago

Pinball have become far too expensive. My first and only NIB will become the DI, which I will pick up in March.
Otherwise, I stay at HUO for an acceptable price.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Is the new one that much better?

Play it and see.

LTG : )

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

9 grand for a new one?!!! I love the original and have seen them for $5000. Is the new one that much better?

5k for a stern POTC is way too much for that game. It’s about impossible to compare JJP games to stern stuff since the quality and engineering is so much higher with JJP. We’re getting a POTCLE and can’t wait.... done with nib Stern.

#115 6 years ago

I have a low play , heavily modified Stern, how much more pirates do you need. I like both JJP pins I currently own,
just can’t justify the difference on the same theme.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

I have a low play , heavily modified Stern, how much more pirates do you need. I like both JJP pins I currently own,
just can’t justify the difference on the same theme.

The Stern one is cool-looking but it becomes clear pretty quickly that it's a shallow, repetitive game. I'm not super-excited about another crack at a very long-in-the-tooth theme, but I'm sure JJPs will surpass Sterns effort in every way that matters. Looking forward to it.

#117 6 years ago

WTB huo POTCLE for $8k. If you are going to dream, dream big. Sooner it is built and fully coded, the sooner one will be in my lair. One lucky nib owner will be my seller. Realizing this will take 2 - 3 years, I will be patient. This perspective means I won't need go beserk over the details until the time draws a little closer. I intend to play many along the way.

What is JJP's warranty policy for a second buyer?

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

WTB huo POTCLE for $8k. If you are going to dream, dream big. Sooner it is built and fully coded, the sooner one will be in my lair. One lucky nib owner will be my seller. Realizing this will take 2 - 3 years, I will be patient. This perspective means I won't need go beserk over the details until the time draws a little closer. I intend to play many along the way.

$6,500-$7,000 and I might consider it.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Technically the warranty only covers the orginal purchaser. That being said, I have yet to hear of a case where jjp has refused parts to anyone whom is still under warranty regardless of purchaser status.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Technically the warranty only covers the orginal purchaser. That being said, I have yet to hear of a case where jjp has refused parts to anyone whom is still under warranty regardless of purchaser status.

Not for free, though. There is no warranty for second owners. As a second owner, I had to pay for a new drop target board for my hobbit within the warranty period.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Not for free, though. There is no warranty for second owners. As a second owner, I had to pay for a new drop target board for my hobbit within the warranty period.

Situational. I got warranty parts during the warranty period on one of the JJP machines we got used.

#122 6 years ago

A lot of people act like my original poll was biased...

For clarification, I am still seriously considering this game NIB. The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger at the moment is the lack of licensed assets -- particularly the theme song from the original film. I hold that JJP's the Hobbit is the best pin I have ever played...and it is really not a close call at all. Wizard of Oz...also way up there as far as an overall pinball experience.

I am just a little hesitant about this POTC, that is all. Hoping for more information from JJP soon.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

Hoping for more information from JJP soon.

A recent video on Facebook had Eric in NJ,they walked by test games being assembled. No idea time frame. But we should have a lot more information soon as those games are finished up and go out.

LTG : )

#124 6 years ago

Just put down my deposit on a LE today! Thanks JJ

#125 6 years ago

JJ as in jeresey Jack? Not JJ from Game exchange colorado?

#126 6 years ago

I have #19 CE on order!

#127 6 years ago

JJ from Colorado Game Exchange. Great guy!

1 week later
#128 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

A lot of people act like my original poll was biased...
For clarification, I am still seriously considering this game NIB. The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger at the moment is the lack of licensed assets -- particularly the theme song from the original film. I hold that JJP's the Hobbit is the best pin I have ever played...and it is really not a close call at all. Wizard of Oz...also way up there as far as an overall pinball experience.
I am just a little hesitant about this POTC, that is all. Hoping for more information from JJP soon.

Well... I have thought about it long and hard, and I am pulling my preorder for this title. I realize that the licensed assets do not matter to many, but they do to me. I recently purchased SW Prem and BM66. As I was playing them last night, I realized that without the assets, the games would not mean what they do to me. I can't imagine SW without any scenes or voices from the movies. Likewise with BM66 and the TV shows. Lyman's coding integrating the television show is what has really turned BM66 into a stellar game. I would not own BM66 without the television show integration.

In the DMD era, I could understand how the licensing could be limited. But in the era of full displays we are now in, I cannot justify the expense sans those assets.

Just my $.02.

I post this not to sway anybody one way or the other. Rather, I would hope that JJ would read this and realize that the actual movie assets are indeed important to at least a portion of potential buyers.

1 week later
#129 6 years ago

I will not back out on my pre order of a LE. But I will say this, the game could be much greater with clips, music, and call outs from the movie. Get in there Jack and let Disney know that the people are asking for more! I am sure a lot more of these machines will sell due to getting a little more from the movie!
I will say this, Jack your a great guy and have brought a lot to the pinball community!! I was at Chicago expo and got to see and play and was literally sucked in! I knew that this would be my first and only NIB. With all the characters there is a limitless amount of code you could do! I am hoping for a Davy Jones locker multiball!!!!

#130 6 years ago

Option #4 pretty much sums up how I feel. This game is almost $10k for an LE and for that type of dough a pin based on a modern theme should come with original actor audio and video. To spend that type of money I expect, especially after owning games like The Hobbit and Stern's Star Wars, that the actor audio and video for a majority of the characters will be in the game.

JJP's POTC needs at least 1 more custom callout actor and a Jack sound-a-like would be perfect. Stern was able to get a Jack sound-a-like voice actor approved for its game so why not for JJP as well? Jack Sparrow is the POTC movies and not hearing him at all in the pin seems odd. I think 125 modes with only hearing Gibbs will become tiring after a while. Hope I'm wrong.

Has the game been shown with newer code then what was presented at Expo? It seems like JJP may be waiting to show the game with more completed, or near complete code, until the game is closer to shipping?

#131 6 years ago

Having now played it I'd have to say no. Swing and a miss for me.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

While I do have a deposit on an LE I'm reserving judgement and purchase until I physically play one myself. From the video's thus far it does appear to be a miss for me, but still holding out.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Option #4 pretty much sums up how I feel.
JJP's POTC needs at least 1 more custom callout actor and a Jack sound-a-like would be perfect. Stern was able to get a Jack sound-a-like voice actor approved for its game so why not for JJP as well?

I just took the family to Walt Disney World, where there was a little Pirates show for the kids. The guy playing Jack Sparrow was visually passable but dead-on sounded like Johnny Depp's character. I bet Disney has similar actors in droves who would be happy for a side gig. Plus funny Jack callouts after the serious Giggs callouts would be kind of fun banter in a game.

#134 6 years ago

I think POTC is a beautiful game. I would absolutely love to own one but I do NOT think it is worth nearly 10k

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I just took the family to Walt Disney World, where there was a little Pirates show for the kids. The guy playing Jack Sparrow was visually passable but dead-on sounded like Johnny Depp's character. I bet Disney has similar actors in droves who would be happy for a side gig. Plus funny Jack callouts after the serious Giggs callouts would be kind of fun banter in a game.

how bout some Barbosa call outs, sounds like a true pirate.

So far I get a very underwhelming feeling from this machine. Especially for 10K!

#136 6 years ago

I think that at that price point, JJP has to offer a lot more than what I’ve seen. I waited over a year for my Hobbit pinball machine, and what a major disappointment it was. I would NEVER put down a deposit on this game without being assured that JJP was going to be able to obtain the licensing necessary to incorporate all of the POTC actors voices. For what they’re asking for the game, that’s the least they can do.

#137 6 years ago

I'd love to see a stream of some players who understand the rules and actually blow the game up. I watched almost all of the rage tilt replay and it was painful watching only because every player that stepped up to the game, was their first time playing and it showed. As a positive to that stream, I found more enjoyment listening to the bearded brothers and lady (sorry forgot your names, watched the stream replay a week ago ) - but I did thoroughly enjoy the commentary and interviews especially from the girl, dammit I forgot her name was it Beck? Lol sorry

Anyway; game looks gorgeous and it does look fun. I just want to see someone stretch it's legs and show us what it can do. And I agree with others, it seems like a supporting narrative actor is needed, whether it be a barbosa type actor, female pirate, or jack sound alike.

All in all, I think we as potential hopefuls need to give it a little more patience, let it bake a little more in the oven and see what eric, jack, Keith and crew can do with this when it does finally release. It's still beta and testing guys and gals.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Not having played it or even seen it, why a swing and a miss?

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

I'd be interested in this as well. We've already established that some people are not happy about the lack of movie assets, but I'd like to hear about why people who have played it didn't care for it. I was expecting a ton of posts praising it after the reveal party earlier this month, but it was relatively quiet so it made me wonder if some of the excitement dwindled after playing.

#140 6 years ago

I canceled my LE for now. Waiting to see how this game pans out. Too much else awesome to get right now......TnA, MBr.......

#141 6 years ago

I'm considering switching my LE deposit over to a Houdini instead and saving myself a pile of money in the process. Not sure yet.

#142 6 years ago

I cancelled my LE order a few weeks back. Bought a SW premium and will be buying something else - hopefully the Beatles machine pans out.

The videos of this just don’t excite me much which sucks as a Pirates fan. I already have a Pirates with a spinning disc and a rocking ship that sinks.

So without music and video content I’m definitely out!

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I cancelled my LE order a few weeks back.
So without music and video content I’m definitely out!

Can't blame you.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from kse001:

I'd be interested in this as well. We've already established that some people are not happy about the lack of movie assets, but I'd like to hear about why people who have played it didn't care for it. I was expecting a ton of posts praising it after the reveal party earlier this month, but it was relatively quiet so it made me wonder if some of the excitement dwindled after playing.

It's still pretty early. There's probably another 4-5 months until release. I think people will get charged up a bit more once more complete software is shown and it is close to being able to be bought.

#145 6 years ago

I'm keeping my preorder in. If you want to support new designers and devotion to quality and innovation, POTC is a good way. I'm looking forward to playing one soon, I'll make the final go/no-go then.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from pindome:

1) It has the same coding progression as WOZ and Hobbit. A game should be easy to understand but hard to master.
2) The upper playfield. Would be ok if they filled in the side drain, as it is it goes straight up the ramp and straight out the side a lot of the time.
3) Shooting the other ship. It's like 3" away, impossible to miss and you can't see the effect.
4) The trunk lock. Too straight up the middle so no power on the flipper and the shot is too hard.
5) The bit at the back, with some targets and an up post. Too hidden, Impossible to see and random luck what it hits.
6) The spinner(s). Seem to be going ALL THE FRIKKIN TIME! Could be fixed in code.
7) The rain sound effects (I presume it's a sound effect). make it sound like it's got bad speakers.

The under the flipper shot, great, love it
9) The whirlpool ramp, gret, love it
10) The reversed "full Throttle" lane. Great love it

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

3) Shooting the other ship. It's like 3" away, impossible to miss and you can't see the effect.

I saw that shot missed more than I saw it made. And with 6 months of testing and fine-tuning, they could easily light this in a similar way to the KISS Lovegun levitation mod.

What they showed was impressive, especially for being so early, but you have to remember it was essentially a pre-alpha.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What they showed was impressive, especially for being so early, but you have to remember it was essentially a pre-alpha

Agreed which is why I haven't mentioned code (much). The layout and toys is essentially done though.

Others may love it (I know Kirk does) but it's just not ticking that box in the same way Dialed In did.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Agreed which is why I haven't mentioned code (much). The layout and toys is essentially done though.
Others may love it (I know Kirk does) but it's just not ticking that box in the same way Dialed In did.

There were a HUGE amount of people whining about Dialed In initially. Took until pretty close to launch before enough people got hands-on that opinion shifted. I wouldn't be surprised to see a surge for jjPotC once people get hands-on with near final versions. I also wouldn't be surprised if the hardware on the PF was refined further after more testing/feedback, too.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There were a HUGE amount of people whining about Dialed In initially. Took until pretty close to launch before enough people got hands-on that opinion shifted. I wouldn't be surprised to see a surge for jjPotC once people get hands-on with near final versions. I also wouldn't be surprised if the hardware on the PF was refined further after more testing/feedback, too.

True, but the layout/design of DI was never in question or whined about. DI whiners rightfully blasted the theme and art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-buying-potc/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.