• 235 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are You Buying POTC”

• Heck yeah, already have it pre-ordered! The playfield, artwork, and gameplay look amazing. Who cares if there is no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts? 73 votes
    28%
  • Probably. I have not put down a refundable pre-order yet. I am waiting to see what the final game looks like. Limited license rights is somewhat concerning, but it is not a deal killer. 38 votes
    15%
  • Probably not. Limited license rights and incorporation of licensed material has me greatly concerned. But I am still holding out hope that JJP incorporates more into the game in the final product. 30 votes
    11%
  • There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin themed on a 5-movie franchise with no original score, video clips showing actor faces or actor callouts other than Mr. Gibbs. 120 votes
    46%

(261 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F5A25B93-CF99-4067-99B3-50AD6DFB6E1F (resized).jpeg
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I to was disappointed with the lack of video assets, but this can be worked around if the music and call outs are great. The play field looks great and unique for sure, and looks like a ton of variety. My only concern right now is the lack of exciting modes/sounds from what I can tell. I know code is early and it's even harder to tell from videos just how much the game pulls you in. My family loves potc as a theme and we prefer jjp games over Stern, but the price is making me second guess. If the code develops into what I'm hoping is exciting sequences and a journey style ruleset, then I'll be all in. As SW sits now, the sights and sounds, and quick game play is definitely intriguing, but I'm having a hard time finding the price justified for nothing more than basically the video/sound assets. Ultimately I hope potc has that one more game feel with a great journey full of adrenaline rush moments. I think my pinball tastes have become more demanding when the companies prices demanded more.

You and I have similar pinball tastes and I have similar concerns with JJPOTC as you. I would only get SW if I found a really good deal (steal) on one, but have the same opinion on it as you.

I played JJPOTC at Expo and felt the same way you expressed. Currently it does not draw me in like TH and WOZ, but does have that one more time feel to it to find that magic. If you think about TH and WOZ, that adrenaline rush doesn't happen for me (and maybe you too) until you get into the various modes. When not in those modes, you have withdrawals to get back to the modes. That seems to me to be the way that JJP has coded these pins. I'm guessing that JJPOTC will do the exact same once the code/modes are developed. I did see a few people advance into a couple of modes and also shoot the cannon with success, and the adrenaline was there for that person and wished I could try that experience with the 8-10 tries I had at it (play better). With the super high price tag, I'm waiting to see how this one develops. I'm waiting for delivery on a DI that is a lot of fun, played one many times, initially like it a lot, but is a slightly different "style" than TH, WOZ, and likely JJPOTC. If the "lastability" of that one is short for my HUO, then I will likely swap it out in my collection for another JJP pin. I think it will be a favorite for the non-pinball geeks that visit - we will see.

#52 6 years ago

konghusker ... oh and by the way ... I didn't mention it, but I "hope" to buy a JJPOTC if it turns out as good as we anticipate. That will take some time, so that would not be a purchase for another year or two. Maybe a second hand purchase if good deals pop up by then.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I to was disappointed with the lack of video assets, but this can be worked around if the music and call outs are great. The play field looks great and unique for sure, and looks like a ton of variety. My only concern right now is the lack of exciting modes/sounds from what I can tell. I know code is early and it's even harder to tell from videos just how much the game pulls you in. My family loves potc as a theme and we prefer jjp games over Stern, but the price is making me second guess. If the code developes into what I'm hoping is exciting sequences and a journey style ruleset, then I'll be all in. As SW sits now, the sights and sounds, and quick game play is definitely intriguing, but I'm having a hard time finding the price justified for nothing more than basically the video/sound assets. Ultimately I hope potc has that one more game feel with a great journey full of adrenaline rush moments. I think my pinball tastes have become more demanding when the companies prices demanded more.

I hear ya there about becoming more demanding as prices have repeatedly gone up. Agree 100%.

The excellent use of licensed assets for SW led me to picking up a very nice HUO LE this weekend. While I'm not very fond of the pro model due to a lack of features I think that the premium / LE have a good amount going on feature wise. When I finally played an LE I thought "wow, this game has more going on then I originally thought".

Honestly, I rather have one less feature or two and instead have the original actor audio and video then not have either.

#54 6 years ago

I'm all for blowing cash, but 10K just seems silly to me.

At 10K, or God forbid 12.5K for a CE, there shouldn't be anything missing (music, actors, footage, images).

#55 6 years ago

If the price on this really 10K? JJP raised their prices 2K?

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If the price on this really 10K? JJP raised their prices 2K?

$8500 standard, $9500 LE, $12,500 CE. Figure another $200-$300 for shipping.

#57 6 years ago

So SE is $500 up; Thanks. As usual people are just inflating the price to make a point.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So SE is $500 up; Thanks. As usual people are just inflating the price to make a point.

lol Its always more valid with CE pricing and UPS NDA shipping value mark up! Don't like the price, there are plenty of other titles available.... The only way any of these price opinions will matter is if they don't Sell any. That does not look like the case and the market has spoken on interest. Game, code, title, price is not for everyone though I have never seen a pin that has pulled off That miracle combo!

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

lol Its always more valid with CE pricing and UPS NDA shipping value mark up! Don't like the price, there are plenty of other titles available....

It's a little pet peeve of mine. All i heard was that DI was over 9K to buy when I bought mine for well under; shit I almost thought I was getting a deal

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a little pet peeve of mine. All i heard was that DI was over 9K to buy when I bought mine for well under; shit I almost thought I was getting a deal

Agreed. Plus if you are paying for shipping on a NIB JJP you Need to find a new distributor or brush up on your negotiating skills! Especially if you are paying $500 over OEM list! lol

#61 6 years ago

$9,500 is for the LE which is the model most folks will buy.

What am I missing?

#62 6 years ago

I don;t know their sales numbers so I don't know which models sell the most.

But still, it's an exaggeration of the actual price.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

$9,500 is for the LE which is the model most folks will buy.
What am I missing?

So your math and formula is based on an Assumption of what the market Will do on a game that is not made or sold currently? Interesting speculation though it Seems a bit Assumed. Batman 66 SLE cost 15k and I am certain that is what everyone wanted and purchased! Stern is robbing people and those cost $700 to ship. Thats what I assume lol

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there about becoming more demanding as prices have repeatedly gone up. Agree 100%.
The excellent use of licensed assets for SW led me to picking up a very nice HUO LE this weekend. While I'm not very fond of the pro model due to a lack of features I think that the premium / LE have a good amount going on feature wise. When I finally played an LE I thought "wow, this game has more going on then I originally thought".
Honestly, I rather have one less feature or two and instead have the original actor audio and video then not have either.

I'm certainly interested in your opinion on SW Le. I keep thinking of the SW game and it seems fun. It's amazing how my entire family was against SW once we seen it, and they all want potc. The thing is, I play them the most, so I want one that will hold my interest and have exciting modes to get to.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm certainly interested in your opinion on SW Le. I keep thinking of the SW game and it seems fun. It's amazing how my entire family was against SW once we seen it, and they all want potc. The thing is, I play them the most, so I want one that will hold my interest and have exciting modes to get to.

The mode structure and overall ruleset design helped draw me to Star Wars. I prefer games with objective based modes and Star Wars has a lot of them. More importantly Star Wars breaks up those modes into sections with each section having their own mini wizard mode.

The mini wizard modes remind of Destroy the Ring in that getting their is rewarding and occurs more frequently then getting to the main wizard mode. Then there's 9 multiball modes on top of that + a main wizard mode. Lots to see and do.

#66 6 years ago

The bottom line is this...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

$8500 standard, $9500 LE, $12,500 CE. Figure another $200-$300 for shipping.

So $500 from $10k for invisiglass, shaker, star consulation lighting, & color changing GI is not much of an exaggeration especially if shipping is not included.

Now $1500 (+shipping?) for the standard could be considered an exaggeration of $10k.

I’m trying my hardest to budget $10k to Pinball next year as I bought no pins in 2017. I really want a JJP game back in the lineup, but if I flex my budget just a little I could get an SW PRO + AC/DC pro. $8500 JJP gives me the option for a $2k SS pin which actually would be cool too, but hard to beat 2 stern pros IMO. This all heresay for now personally until the budget is balanced for my 4-pin lineup

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The mode structure and overall ruleset design helped draw me to Star Wars. I prefer games with objective based modes and Star Wars has a lot of them. More importantly Star Wars breaks up those modes into sections with each section having their own mini wizard mode.
The mini wizard modes remind of Destroy the Ring in that getting their is rewarding and occurs more frequently then getting to the main wizard mode. Then there's 9 multiball modes on top of that + a main wizard mode. Lots to see and do.

This is probably not the thread but how do you like the hyperdrive? Personally, I really enjoy it but there’s a big BUT for me on it. The LE I played was a very clunky shot and bricked a lot. And unfortunately, on the videos I’ve seen of the shot dialed in and working smooth as butter from either flipper (which looked awesome), also had a few ball traps behind the fork ramp which resulted in having to wait for a ball search. So there’s two battles in this design, one is consistency and flow of the actual shot; and the other is ball traps with ball searches.

To stay on JPOTC topic; I’m not too bummed about the lack of movie audio queues, but I do hope they get A supporting role of audio to accompany Gibbs.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

This is probably not the thread but how do you like the hyperdrive? Personally, I really enjoy it but there’s a big BUT for me on it. The LE I played was a very clunky shot and bricked a lot. And unfortunately, on the videos I’ve seen of the shot dialed in and working smooth as butter from either flipper (which looked awesome), also had a few ball traps behind the fork ramp which resulted in having to wait for a ball search. So there’s two battles in this design, one is consistency and flow of the actual shot; and the other is ball traps with ball searches.
To stay on JPOTC topic; I’m not too bummed about the lack of movie audio queues, but I do hope they get A supporting role of audio to accompany Gibbs.

A supporting role to accompany the Gibbs custom callouts would help a lot. If JJP could hire a Jack Sparrow sound a like I think that would help add a comedic factor to the game that the movies often show. The Jack Sparrow sound a like from Sterns game is pretty spot on to Johnny Depps voice.

In regards to the Hyperloop on Star Wars I think it's an awesome toy, very cool overall. I didn't see any issues with it when I tried it at the original owners house. I believe some issues with the fork ramp have been corrected with one of the latest code updates.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

Poll says it all. I would really like to know your perspectives.

Poll is a biased bunch of crap that forces opinions. The topic line is a yes or no question. This is a cluster fork.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is Definitely the type of rules I look for. I'm curious if potc is similar in rules with mini wizard modes and a final. I just can't tell how the code and rules are designed on it.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This is Definitely the type of rules I look for. I'm curious if potc is similar in rules with mini wizard modes and a final. I just can't tell how the code and rules are designed on it.

From what I can tell and read there are 125 modes in POTC, 25 of which get randomly picked with 5 assigned to each of the 5 movies. There then appears to be a multiball mode insert for each movie. I'm not sure if there's also a mini wizard mode for each movie. Also not sure if the 5 modes for a movie need to be completed to start that movies multiball.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I'm sure that you know what you're doing, but I really don't understand. Why wouldn't you just buy an HUO one in a year for a 2k or so discount from new with no hassle rather than paying full blast for it, making 2k back from it being on route and then having a routed machine?

You get your game first as an op and I definitely want it right away. 2k plays is nothing, I'll take care of it personally on location and I just can't wait a year for the price to fall and bring one home!

#73 6 years ago

I’m definitely in on an LE

#74 6 years ago

The lack of movie clips and audio make this one a play it on location and support it as much as I can. I will not be buying, but Toy Story will be hard to pass up next and then maybe The Incredibles.

#75 6 years ago

Are we even fully sure that the game won't have the any original music from the films? Are we certain it won't have any clips at all showing actors faces? Has anyone confirmed this with Jersey Jack? Seems like a lot can happen between the October Expo and market release of a final product.

Just wondering if anyone has confirmed.

#76 6 years ago

I don't care about video assets or which actors' voices are present. The game looks like a blast.

That said, I'm probably done buying NIB overall. I've bought many games new, and I'm just ready to start buying pretty much everything in the secondhand market to let all the code, the bugs, and the mechanical fixes get worked out before I commit.

I'm interested in Pirates, for sure, but if I get one, it won't be brand new. It will be some time down the road.

#77 6 years ago

So I couldn't stand it anymore. Every time I went to their web site the LE version called my name. Saw some game play on YouTube and it just looks too compelling. Sunday I put my $250 deposit down. Will be the first new game I've ever bought and will make a great addition next to my TAF.

After hearing and seeing everything with Stern I just can't see their games as HUO with the software issues and lack of support. Pretty jazzed about this coming out - yes it's expensive.

#78 6 years ago

I'm really looking at an LE myself. I still debate between SW premium and potc le. I know the value is better with jjp overall. SW just keeps calling me somehow. I'm interested in opinions of those who have played both games? Is potc really fun, exciting, and going to keep interest in a home compared to SW premium?

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm really looking at an LE myself. I still debate between SW premium and potc le. I know the value is better with jjp overall. SW just keeps calling me somehow. I'm interested in opinions of those who have played both games? Is potc really fun, exciting, and going to keep interest in a home compared to SW premium?

Well one thing's for sure, jjPotC will get a lot more software support for a longer period than Star Wars.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well one thing's for sure, jjPotC will get a lot more software support for a longer period than Star Wars.

Hmmm. I don't understand this comment as code support for Star Wars has been excellent. The game now has 16 main modes broken up into 4 sections, planets, each with its own mini wizard mode. Then there's multiple multiball modes, other special modes (example Lightsaber Duel), and a main wizard mode. Star Wars doesn't need 125 modes to match POTC ruleset.

What exist today in Sterns Star Wars ruleset is a very complete, deep and unique gameplay experience. Star Wars modes also feature licensed assets including actor audio and video, licensed music and custom music.

With 125 modes POTC will need to have more software support then Star Wars to create a similar engaging and cohesive gameplay experience. I also hope that the game features more audio lines then just Gibbs as 125 modes with only Gibbs callouts will become repetitive quickly. JJP has the king of objective based rulesets on its team so I'm going to bet the final ruleset will be great.

I've bashed Stern plenty over the years but they delivered with Star Wars. It's time to give credit where credit is due.

#81 6 years ago

Played it at fpf with some very bad code almost unplayable. I don’t know why Jack would let the public play such a poorly playing game. That being said I went away thinking this is Popeye v 2.0. Too much shit in the playfield that obstructs the view of the playfield. The rocking ship is more of a obstructuin than a cool feature. However I will give it another shot when the code improves. Hopefully my first impression was incorrect. Rooting for JJP I like dialed in very much. However no way will I fork out 9k for a game that I don’t give a crap out the theme. I’m saving that for when Lebowski never comes out.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadlander:

I don’t know why Jack would let the public play such a poorly playing game.

Wasn't the plan. Games performed good at Expo, which is close to the JJP Chicago office if people or parts would be needed. The game at FPF acted up, with limited personnel and tools and parts available. And JJP six states away. Crap happened.

Jack would have preferred a better showing, that's for sure. There are times things go good. And there are times things go bad, no matter how much you plan and what you do.

LTG : )

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from dharv:

Every time I went to their web site the LE version called my name. Saw some game play on YouTube and it just looks too compelling. Sunday I put my $250 deposit down.

You'll be glad you did. And that topper is to die for.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hmmm. I don't understand this comment as code support for Star Wars has been excellent.

5 months to get to 1.0 isn't "excellent". Stern needs to be held to the standard they've held until the last year or so. Ship games feature complete with 1.0 and then improve over the next year or two. This shipping with alpha or beta software then fixing it up over the next 6 months to a year should not be excused or tolerated. They've done it THREE TIMES in 12 months (Batman'66, Star Wars, Guardians), and NEVER before now. It's a bad trend that should not be excused or supported.

Aside from Lyman, almost no one else at Stern will revisit code after 2-3 years. JJP is STILL releasing new code for WoZ 5 YEARS later (6.60, last week) and just did a Hobbit maintenance release. Stern isn't even in the same universe of that level of code support.

That's what I was talking about.

#85 6 years ago

I really wish an updated code would hit so we can see how the game is looking. Like I said, I'm looking for a very exciting game with great moments. From earlier videos, it seemed like several multiball just suddenly would start without much of a build up. Probably early code, but I just haven't seen that "moment" of accomplishment.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

I honestly want to know whether people are going to buy this pin or not.

I didn't bother voting because you loaded your opinions into the options. Who cares really, it's a poll on Pinside, whoop whoop, but if you honestly want to know something don't do that.

My non voting answer is no, because of the price, and nothing else. I kinda hope it sells well still, but part of me has a hard time rooting for these expensive games doing well, because I know it's ultimately bad for anyone who's not rich, and that sucks for the hobby.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I really wish an updated code would hit so we can see how the game is looking.

In a recent video on Facebook of Eric Meunier at JJP in NJ. They passed 15 games getting built up to go out on test. So I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more soon.

Everybody is working hard on Pirates.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

In a recent video on Facebook of Eric Meunier at JJP in NJ. They passed 15 games getting built up to go out on test. So I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more soon.
Everybody is working hard on Pirates.

Good news. I know many people anxiously awaiting to see, play, and get this amazing looking game. Can't wait!

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You'll be glad you did. And that topper is to die for.

Where have you seen the LE's topper? I wanna see what I'm getting!

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

There's a video from the reveal of it floating around here somewhere...

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a video from the reveal of it floating around here somewhere...

Thats the ce topper....

#92 6 years ago

I voted for option four, but it could have been..."There is no way I am paying $9.5K for a pin, period."

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Prototype was on the CE at Expo. Only available on the CE. Huge bottle, with the Black Pearl ship in it, waves moved back and forth, ship moved too.

This was a prototype, I suspect they'll gussy it up some.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats the ce topper....

I'll probably just put the PotC licensed talking skill with the two swords on top of the LE. Looks great, eyes light that you can wire to the machine, makes a great topper.

#95 6 years ago

I wonder if there's any chance JJP will offer direct printed cabinets like the original WoZ ECLEs on the PotC CEs (only). That would be a big differentiator for the CEs, and would push me toward the CE since those ECLE cabinets are dead smexy gorgeous. If not for PotC (no time?) then maybe Toy Story CE.

#96 6 years ago

I'm saving my money for JJP5, which is Toy Story by Pat Lawlor.

That's the game that will probably get me to sell my ECLE WOZ.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I wonder if there's any chance JJP will offer direct printed cabinets like the original WoZ ECLEs on the PotC CEs (only).

No chance, but a jacket and bowl of soup are still on the table.

And you can always opt for RadCals.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

No chance, but a jacket and bowl of soup are still on the table.
And you can always opt for RadCals.

Zero interest in Radcals here. The direct printed glossy cabinets would be something special to make the CEs very desirable.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

I'm saving my money for JJP5, which is Toy Story by Pat Lawlor.
That's the game that will probably get me to sell my ECLE WOZ.

Yea i may move my potc deposit over to toy s..... dile is my favorite pin by far and id bet toy s will also be amazing and one the best shooting pins ever like di....

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yea i may move my potc deposit over to toy s..... dile is my favorite pin by far and id bet toy s will also be amazing and one the best shooting pins ever like di....

Why not just enjoy jjPotC for 7-9 months and then cross the Toy Story bridge when it arrives?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 235 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-buying-potc/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.