20 days ago

Topic Stats

• 680 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Wolfmarsh
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 70 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dragon-960-x-flexible-1 (resized).jpg
    7C92192E-AA46-4E57-918A-F75FD3E564BD (resized).jpeg
    3p9vrb (resized).jpg
    78023D00-CE66-437C-A880-75FE2BFD93A2 (resized).jpeg
    1487D6E6-910B-491C-B861-9BC4C9F3D3C3 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    185b21a294cf7d6297b6011fd0afbb77 (resized).jpg
    2020-02-12 (2) (1) (resized).png
    6A1CD934-1E96-4520-B2BA-2655CC3DDE86 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 6.04.24 PM (resized).png
    Resized_20200209_182522 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20200209_182348 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.27.03 PM (resized).png
    images (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 12.39.59 PM (resized).png

There are 680 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
    #601 3 days ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

Good news is data so far suggests kiddos are not so much affected by the virus.
    Bad news they will bring it home.

Well that's good to hear. My kids are 4 and 9. Still I would error on the side of caution.

#602 3 days ago

I thought this virus was only more aggressive with people from its origin ie in China but over here / states you get ill off it but it won't kill you? Or was that theory BS also if your fit and healthy your generally ok it only effects the old/very young or already very ill.

#603 3 days ago
    Quoted from russdx:

I thought this virus was only more aggressive with people from its origin ie in China but over here / states you get ill off it but it won't kill you? Or was that theory BS also if your fit and healthy your generally ok it only effects the old/very young or already very ill.

Data is still very hazy. It would appear that for severe cases, it is primarily the elderly and the immuno compromised. Not so much the young (which is a bit unusual).

Looks like with proper medical intervention most recover. In overwhelmed or poor medical (wuhan) death rate around 3-4%.

Thing is 15% of cases need medical care (oxygen tanks, ventilator). So it’s pretty easy to overwhelm a region.

I would argue that the cruise ship off of Japan is showing that is is readily transmit-able.

No legit data suggests it has to do with ethnicity. That is basically just race baiting drivel at this point.

#604 3 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Edit: 15 people in US. One reported in Dallas. State of Texas residents are now fleeing, mass panic setting in! LOL
    CDC giving update now from San Antonio, my hometown, plane load of people quarantined over 14 day period.
    Uh oh, officials are "letting them outside". Beautiful day in SA! Where should i run and hide?

Ice, you do realize that you are doing the same thing as the panic-stricken folks, just in the opposite direction? I agree that panic is unnecessary, but scoffing at this as a potential world problem is also not helpful. Experts that are a lot smarter than you or me are concerned. I think that is the right frame of mind ... concerned. I respect your investing prowess a great deal, but you are not the person I am going to turn to for advice on avoiding diseases. For that matter, neither am I.

I think it is worth watching as the worldwide damage potential is high, but the probability is low at this point. Also, I think the first infections in the U.S. will have much better care if this goes "viral".

There is more "fear" in me from mass-hysteria than the actual infection itself.

P.S. I love San Antonio. I lived in Texas for the majority of my life. I wish we had your weather at the moment ... I just don't feel that way in the summer.

#605 3 days ago
    download (resized).jpg
    #606 3 days ago

Yes... I am very concerned. Yes, I will be buying!

#607 3 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

Ice, you do realize that you are doing the same thing as the panic-stricken folks, just in the opposite direction? I agree that panic is unnecessary, but scoffing at this as a potential world problem is also not helpful. Experts that are a lot smarter than you or me are concerned. I think that is the right frame of mind ... concerned. I respect your investing prowess a great deal, but you are not the person I am going to turn to for advice on avoiding diseases. For that matter, neither am I.
    I think it is worth watching as the worldwide damage potential is high, but the probability is low at this point. Also, I think the first infections in the U.S. will have much better care if this goes "viral".
    P.S. I love San Antonio. I lived in Texas for the majority of my life. I wish we had your weather at the moment ... I just don't feel that way in the summer.

Pretty funny to rank this issue so high as a potential world problem in a thread that people think posting about climate is waste. What do you think is going to claim more lives and be a bigger impact on the world?

#608 3 days ago

It’s more that I don’t want to engage in whataboutism.

Agree that there are Many things to be more concerned about than coronavirus. Put those in their own threads.

#609 3 days ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

It’s more that I don’t want to engage in whataboutism.
    Agree that there are Many things to be more concerned about than coronavirus. Put those in their own threads.

When there is a direct scientific connection between two topics that is not whataboutism, that's intelligent discussion. This thread has been swirling the depth of stupidity from the start, and you are right it's time for me to go elsewhere.

#610 3 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Pretty funny to rank this issue so high as a potential world problem in a thread that people think posting about climate is waste. What do you think is going to claim more lives and be a bigger impact on the world?

Agreed, but they are separate issues. Climate change may kill most all of us in the long run, but coronavirus could get some of us in the short term. It is really a psychological issue to me, like choosing your poison. Except in this case you can choose neither or both.

I would be more fearful of the mass hysteria caused by either. As they say, if you think gold is going to save you when things go wrong, then you would be better investing in something else ... guns. And that is coming from a relative pacifist.

#612 2 days ago

Can we list the facts about this virus?

#613 2 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, he did call it an Inconvenient Truth for a reason. Nobody knows how to combat climate change. Do we turn off our air conditioners? Do we replace our car with a bicycle or walking stick? If the actions of mankind are responsible for climate change, then without returning cave living, how do we stop it? First, turn off all of your pins to save electricity?
    I am in the camp of "I believe climate change is happening" but I still need to drive to Walmart. And if a grail pin come up for sale halfway across the country I will be on the road hoping I will finds lots of cheap gas along the way.
    My sister-in-law believes that climate change is hoax perpetrated by haves onto the have nots. She thinks the world ends at her dashboard and blasts down the the highway guzzling gasoline with the best of the road warriors.

Here is the “truth” about climate change....the biggest factor is not cars, it’s not coal burning plants, it’s not private planes....

the biggest thing affecting climate change is replacing trees/shrubs/grass/dirt with asphalt. Asphalt being roads/parking lots and building roofs. That is the main influencer on climate change. Period.

#614 2 days ago

I'm not terribly worried, but having lived through a few hurricanes I know at the point when you realize you need something such as a generator, there are those who are prepared and already have one, those who pay top dollar in the hysteria or aftermath, and those who go without. I've bought some masks and face protection. It's not like this shi* is expensive right now anyway.

#615 2 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

You gotta admit Doc, it’s somewhat comical when you put it in perspective, certainly not the struggle and loss of life, but comparing it to the regular flu virus, which should get more attention each year, it just strikes me as non sensical

I am concerned of course. Just no reason to be Pulling kids out of school or go into the bunker. It’s life as normal here !

I wouldn’t want any flu but I’d take my chances at 2 out of 100 mortality. Plus, you get the best of attention and health care the world has to offer here in the US and down at Lackland

Equity markets shrugged off the “new methodology” of counting

It’s a beautiful day in SA! But you are correct, it will be brutal in the summers, especially August. Time to get out of Dodge then or go to Port A!

Where u at now?

#616 2 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Can we list the facts about this virus?

People are free to "List" or discuss this issue in any way they see fit. Seems that irritates some people.
    Those are the facts.
    Want to be a cheerleader for the Markets with your head in the sand? Cool.
    Like using accepted talking points like "Worry about the flu, not this"? Lot of people do it.
    Enjoy shooting the messenger when someone links to a non-MSM source for information? Go for it.
    People have different ways of coping with a new threat. I prefer to read everything I can find and discern the truth. In my opinion the numbers coming out from most sources are bogus and mean nothing. Then the dozen or so Media repeat these nonsensical numbers ad nauseous.
    I have found India News sources to be the most honest. Sue me.

#617 2 days ago

In general, taking advice on anything other than pinball exclusively from pinside would be crazy. I would be concerned if my lawyer, investment banker, doctor, etc was posting 50 times a day on a pinball forum.

#618 2 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have found India News sources to be the most honest.

I havent found an India News Source for my reading...Would you mind sharing?

I find good news from Turkey, and AlJazeera, as well.

#619 2 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You gotta admit Doc, it’s somewhat comical when you put it in perspective, certainly not the struggle and loss of life, but comparing it to the regular flu virus, which should get more attention each year, it just strikes me as non sensical
    I am concerned of course. Just no reason to be Pulling kids out of school or go into the bunker. It’s life as normal here !
    I wouldn’t want any flu but I’d take my chances at 2 out of 100 mortality. Plus, you get the best of attention and health care the world has to offer here in the US and down at Lackland
    Equity markets shrugged off the “new methodology” of counting
    It’s a beautiful day in SA! But you are correct, it will be brutal in the summers, especially August. Time to get out of Dodge then or go to Port A!
    Where u at now?

I definitely see your points, Ice. Using an overworked analogy, it is probably no different than our disproportionate fear of flying when the chances are so slim of a fatality. Yet, we drive daily and are perfectly comfortable with that increased risk. We understand the flu and although we can't control it, we have a illogical sense of comfort with it. The coronavirus, on the other hand, is an unknown, so even if the risk is minimal, the fear is significant.

The one true unknown here is the real risk of the coronavirus. It could kill 2% (compared to the anemic flu mortality rate of approximately .05% this year so far). You are talking about a 40X multiplier in mortality rate for the coronavirus. If, and this is a big IF, the coronavirus gets to the U.S. and the mortality rate remains constant, the number of coronavirus deaths could reach nearly 400,000 in a year assuming the same infection rate. I would speculate that the infection rate would be higher in the coronavirus than flu, but the mortality rate would be less in the U.S. That doesn’t mean that the numbers wouldn’t be large nonetheless.

By the way, we are also blessed with wonderful healthcare here in Nashville with Vanderbilt and some of the private hospitals. Country singers have to have good doctors.

I expected the markets to shrug off the new numbers. It is like a change in accounting methodology. Nothing really changed except the way the beans are counted. Trend is more critical, on consistent numbers, which is what you have been saying. But, I am not one to place complete trust in the markets like you are. I correctly bet against the market back in 2008 as they seemed to flat out miss what was coming. Markets can get myopic at times and trades can get crowded. What I didn’t anticipate was the power of the Fed. I am a firm believer now of “never bet against the Fed”. I won’t make that mistake again.

Enjoy Port Aransas. Try the Florida panhandle sometime. It beats the heck out of the Texas coast. We live just south of Nashville, which makes the Florida trip easy.

P.S. On an aside, my next door neighbor has an individual in their house that is quarantined for the coronavirus. I would guess that the individual will be okay, but it seems like “Amateur Hour” if we are asking the general population to effectively quarantine with no training. All it takes is one or two to go sideways, and this could explode. Think “law of large numbers”.

#620 2 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I have found India News sources to be the most honest. Sue me.

Strangely, I have heard from some that Aljazeera was a good course for honest news. That struck me as odd.

Personally, I read the NY Times (liberal-oriented) and the Wall Street Journal (conservative-oriented). I figure, on average, I am getting the correct news.

(Please don't blast me, that was a statistical joke ... but I do actually read them both.)

#621 2 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

This why they don’t teach evolution in schools. If they are referencing “a twitter user” as the source is it really that difficult to see the manipulation. This is obviously nonsense.

Yeah, sources have really gone downhill with Twitter, Facebook, Youtube (can you say Alex Jones ?) and whatever other social shit is being pumped. I'll throw both CNN and FoxNews into the mix for their endless editorializing.

#622 2 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Here is the “truth” about climate change....the biggest factor is not cars, it’s not coal burning plants, it’s not private planes....
    the biggest thing affecting climate change is replacing trees/shrubs/grass/dirt with asphalt. Asphalt being roads/parking lots and building roofs. That is the main influencer on climate change. Period.

Well, you have ended the debate (if one can call it that) on whether or not climate change is being caused by human action. We all know that asphalt does not just happen.

#623 2 days ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I would be concerned if my lawyer, investment banker, doctor, etc was posting 50 times a day on a pinball forum.

I would be a bit concerned if I needed a lawyer, investment banker, doctor, etc.

#624 2 days ago

Phil_Lee: do would we not need another month at least to diagnose the threat?

#625 2 days ago

Off topic, but has anyone heard anything from the gentleman who alledgedly had the coronavirus in Chitown?

#626 2 days ago

No worries, anyone remember this con artist?

1487D6E6-910B-491C-B861-9BC4C9F3D3C3 (resized).png78023D00-CE66-437C-A880-75FE2BFD93A2 (resized).jpeg
    #627 2 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

Strangely, I have heard from some that Aljazeera was a good course for honest news. That struck me as odd.
    Personally, I read the NY Times (liberal-oriented) and the Wall Street Journal (conservative-oriented). I figure, on average, I am getting the correct news.
    (Please don't blast me, that was a statistical joke ... but I do actually read them both.)

Al Jazeera is just like any news organization. Some like them and some don’t. It is owned by Qatar and some would say is a state owned media organization. Others say that they have an anti-Semitic and anti-American bias.

It all depends on what side of the fence you are on or what side of the border.

#628 2 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I havent found an India News Source for my reading...Would you mind sharing?
    I find good news from Turkey, and AlJazeera, as well.

Start with WION on youtube.

#629 2 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

I definitely see your points, Ice. Using an overworked analogy, it is probably no different than our disproportionate fear of flying when the chances are so slim of a fatality. Yet, we drive daily and are perfectly comfortable with that increased risk. We understand the flu and although we can't control it, we have a illogical sense of comfort with it. The coronavirus, on the other hand, is an unknown, so even if the risk is minimal, the fear is significant.
    The one true unknown here is the real risk of the coronavirus. It could kill 2% (compared to the anemic flu mortality rate of approximately .05% this year so far). You are talking about a 40X multiplier in mortality rate for the coronavirus. If, and this is a big IF, the coronavirus gets to the U.S. and the mortality rate remains constant, the number of coronavirus deaths could reach nearly 400,000 in a year assuming the same infection rate. I would speculate that the infection rate would be higher in the coronavirus than flu, but the mortality rate would be less in the U.S. That doesn’t mean that the numbers wouldn’t be large nonetheless.
    By the way, we are also blessed with wonderful healthcare here in Nashville with Vanderbilt and some of the private hospitals. Country singers have to have good doctors.
    I expected the markets to shrug off the new numbers. It is like a change in accounting methodology. Nothing really changed except the way the beans are counted. Trend is more critical, on consistent numbers, which is what you have been saying. But, I am not one to place complete trust in the markets like you are. I correctly bet against the market back in 2008 as they seemed to flat out miss what was coming. Markets can get myopic at times and trades can get crowded. What I didn’t anticipate was the power of the Fed. I am a firm believer now of “never bet against the Fed”. I won’t make that mistake again.
    Enjoy Port Aransas. Try the Florida panhandle sometime. It beats the heck out of the Texas coast. We live just south of Nashville, which makes the Florida trip easy.
    P.S. On an aside, my next door neighbor has an individual in their house that is quarantined for the coronavirus. I would guess that the individual will be okay, but it seems like “Amateur Hour” if we are asking the general population to effectively quarantine with no training. All it takes is one or two to go sideways, and this could explode. Think “law of large numbers”.

Oh yeah, i love the Florida panhandle. And Nashville is one of my favorite places to visit. Of course i'm a huge Country music fan! Lol

Is your neighbor one of the 15 cases?

"Don't fight the fed". Assets get repriced across the board when they go into action and Oct of 2018 was not in a good way. Honestly i really can't believe the markets are making new highs, BUT China has pumped in so much liquidity on top of everything else and a big chunk of that money is going into our equity markets.

Like Buffet says though, "when its raining gold you reach for it with a bucket, not a thimble"

Of course i see the potential major crisis that could develop IF it goes widespread. I believe the odds are very low and the markets are telling you that. It will be a quicker resolution than not. However, if it continues to linger and extend into the summer months then i'll be really worried, but we will also be that much closer to a vaccine. So many unknown variables.

#630 2 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

"Don't fight the fed". Assets get repriced across the board when they go into action and Oct of 2018 was not in a good way. Honestly i really can't believe the markets are making new highs, BUT China has pumped in so much liquidity on top of everything else and a big chunk of that money is going into our equity markets.
    Like Buffet says though, "when its raining gold you reach for it with a bucket, not a thimble"
    Of course i see the potential major crisis that could develop IF it goes widespread. I believe the odds are very low and the markets are telling you that. It will be a quicker resolution than not. However, if it continues to linger and extend into the summer months then i'll be really worried, but we will also be that much closer to a vaccine. So many unknown variables.

My neighbor is not in the 15 because so far she has not shown symptoms. i think there are a lot of people that have been to China that are under self-quarantine at the moment, like her. That assumes that things will be handled appropriately by these individuals if their status changes, and that they are restricting contact with others. My point is that none of the other people in their house have any idea on how to quarantine someone. They are just keeping her in a back bedroom with the door closed. If she has coronavirus, then I would bet that they all have it.

Yes, so many variables. That is a good way to put it.

Stay well my friend. I just saw that #15 was in San Antonio.

#631 2 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Oh yeah, i love the Florida panhandle. And Nashville is one of my favorite places to visit. Of course i'm a huge Country music fan! Lol

Iceman, i read your prose and The Sounds of Tulipmania start ringing in my head.

But Tulipmania shares equal billing with "Don't fight the Fed". Like the other poster i learned "Don't fight the Fed" the hard way.

#632 2 days ago

This is more from my side of the aisle ...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/chinas-economic-data-have-always-raised-questions-its-coronavirus-numbers-do-too-51581622840

Of course, all this proves is that the „books are cooked“, which is nothing new if you are familiar with Chinese GDP data.

#633 2 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

This is more from my side of the aisle ...
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/chinas-economic-data-have-always-raised-questions-its-coronavirus-numbers-do-too-51581622840
    Of course, all this proves is that the „books are cooked“, which is nothing new if you are familiar with Chinese GDP data.

That looks like a nice article to read but it is behind a paywall.

#635 2 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That looks like a nice article to read but it is behind a paywall.

Sorry, try a google search on the article title and see if you get access. I got access that way.

#636 2 days ago

Interestingly, the NY Times came out with an article this morning on judging the risks of coronavirus, and why we are so bad at it. It may be behind a paywall too, but I think they give you a number of free articles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/world/asia/coronavirus-risk-interpreter.html

#637 2 days ago

I saw people walking around Walmart with masks yesterday for the first time. Little startling. Makes you think for a second what's wrong with them or they just paranoid?

#638 2 days ago

Fun with numbers (lots of data, some modeling):

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30183-5/fulltext

tl:dr: small study, so numbers should be interpreted as such. That being said, good number analyses for patient outcomes. Also had this fun tidbit: estimate 10 weeks from first infection until outbreak.

#639 2 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I saw people walking around Walmart with masks yesterday for the first time. Little startling. Makes you think for a second what's wrong with them or they just paranoid?

Those people in a mask may have a cold or flu and be trying to prevent infecting other people.

I think you are going to be seeing more of that as time progresses. Not necessarily from coronavirus, but from everyone starting to realize how serious viruses and other molecular sized creatures can be. There are lots of things on the planet that want to become #1 in our place.

#640 2 days ago
    Quoted from statsdoc:

Sorry, try a google search on the article title and see if you get access. I got access that way.

That worked. Interesting article.

Here is the Google search for anybody interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=china%27s+economic+data+have+always+raised+questions+its+cronovirus+numbers+do+too&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

#641 2 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When snow storms and blizzards shut down the highways the motel operators make out like bandits and clean up on travelers who cannot travel. The reporters never talk about the roadside motel windfall. They stay focused on the inconvenienced traveler.

I'll say it this way. If I were making cheap throw-away face masks I would be smiling all the way to the back. Whether the threat was real or imagined, I would be making the usual statement, " We are sorry that many individuals are suffering in these trying times, blah, blah, blah. But I would be smiling all the way to the bank.

One man's misfortune is another's gold mine.

#643 2 days ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

To be honest, walking around Walmart with a mask on is not a bad idea under normal circumstances.

#644 2 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

To be honest, walking around Walmart with a mask on is not a bad idea under normal circumstances.

Solid advice

#645 2 days ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Those people in a mask may have a cold or flu and be trying to prevent infecting other people.

They probably should not be out in public, ya think?

#646 2 days ago

But, I have a feeling most wearing those masks are fearful of their own weakness to disease, than caring about others.

#647 1 day ago

What concerns me is the small list of facts

#648 1 day ago

Man made or organic? Can't count that as fact yet

#649 1 day ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Man made or organic? Can't count that as fact yet

Yes, we can. Not. Man. Made.

#650 1 day ago

Finally found some masks, went to an old,sleepy cash-only Auto Parts Store in a nearby small town. The guy had a large supply in cases at a good price.
    Finished my emergency food supply shopping, topped it off with a supply of cheap whiskey.
    Once I locate the bulk packs of vinyl gloves the shopping will be done.
    Glad I live in the middle of big country.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.95
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 150.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 52.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 219.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    There are 680 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside