(Topic ID: 230350)

Are you being affected by the new GM shutdown?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sturner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpg
21737dc4831499916560ce7f71b20a0aa7fc2156 (resized).jpg
oldies only (resized).jpg
51hgd92uLPL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
60 Corvette (resized).jpg
sdsdc (resized).jpg
Planets (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 4.40.23 PM (resized).png
15433493010951778782614 (resized).jpg
1543348706645-1438205450 (resized).jpg
1543348501810-1089110951 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#34 5 years ago

Fat people are tired of getting up out of a vehicle... here in ‘merica, we have got so fat we dont like getting up out of a sedan anymore. We would rather roll out of an SUV thats butt high and hit the street walking because you don’t do anything that might cause you to use those pesky abdominal muscles.

But on the closer side of the truth, we do not like having to fall into a sedan when we get in and have to climb out of it to get out. We have given up style and economy to utilitarianism and convenience. Pretty simple math.

#52 5 years ago

Its pure economics, you can’t give big bonuses to upper management without making sure you can pay for them by cutting a worker or two loose right before Christmas... thats the American way.

My brother, a skilled tool maker, has been layed off before xmas more times than he can count on two hands over a 40 year career. Small tool shops tend to have a slow period during the holidays and afterwards. Many manufacturers shut down during the holidays so supporting tool shop work falls off, and so naturally pink in the color of the season.

#59 5 years ago

@thelaw, historically, I thought the office of the US presidency has been one of the longest lasting modern day leader/ruler positions and has outlasted almost all others, so short term, we are doing quite well. However, you are correct and I agree, from the long term standpoint of over all history and the lenghth of other historic governments, 240+ years is a very, very, very short time.

#60 5 years ago

I think what people are seeing here is the collapse of the great experiment. Henry Ford did something a long time ago that the other manufacturers thought was plain suicide. He offered his workers a living wage. This made every one of his workers a potential customer, and consumerism was born.

But he was not the most noble of business men either... his thugs actively sought to bust up the auto workers unions that sprang up as Henry established the standard three, eight-hour shifts that was working men to death, literally. As he kept increasing the assembly line speed, workers were forced to work harder for the same daily wage.

What we have now are corporations owned by global stock holders more than limited domestic investors, and so the aggregate they are looking for is stock price, and dividends... what have you done for me lately? GM is just responding to the market pressures, both at home on the dealers lot, and on Wall St. If the investors were more country-centric, that is you have more Americans investing soley in American companies, then stock holders might not mind when the company does something good for American workers, but not so great for investors, knowing they are ultimately helping America stay strong. Sadly, this is not the case and every global investor is screaming for their pound of flesh. GM has no choice but do those things that keep it in business, things not so good for America and American workers. If you try and force them to stay and build cars in America, then we should not be surprised when we look at that sticker in the window and our jaw hits the floor. You either help out the domestic auto production by removing tariffs, or you keep steel prices high and force jobs to move to lower wage countries to help balance the increase in production costs.

So who put all the tariffs on steel? The answer is not China...

#65 5 years ago

I’m not going to bash The President for the 1001 things everyone else wants to bash him for... I could care less, except the tariffs are his, he has to own those. He’s trying to bully a bully and Auto makers and steel workers and steel users are feeling the punches... If he was trying to protect the worker, he has a funny way of showing it. And now threatening to remove GM’s subsidies? Thats good for GM workers too? Hasn’t the little man taken it in the shorts enough already lately, or is a pink slip in with your next paycheck what you expected for Xmas?

#71 5 years ago

@iceman44, totally agree. China is so big, their middle class outranks our entire class structure of low/mid/hi... it is self perpetuating at this point. No matter what anyone else does, if China does nothing, we, as a planet, may be fucked. And I’m not just talking climate change, you don’t even need to go there, the polution index will be off the charts, much less the climate impact. We need to manage how fast we bring the quality of life of everyone up to meet the modern western societies. It is wonderful to bring people out of the third world, but we need to be aware of the overall burden to the planet that it could cause. We dont need to all be goat hearders and wear sandals and live like hippies in communes, but we all cant have a personal jet either...

#74 5 years ago

@cottonm4, you join a long list of people, my wife included, that catch me saying it the wrong way and correct me... so I am pretty used to that one.

As far as his subsidies rhetoric, why say it at all then if it wasn’t true, and I am asking, not as a “it must be true, or why say it?” point of view, but from a “what did he gain by saying it” point of view? Looking tough, and being tough requires you have a tough position to stand on, and if there are no subsidies to revoke, what tough position did he have to stand on? As a smaller man, would I want him saying he is going to hurt my employer by removing them? That doesn’t make me want to vote for him in 2020... especially if I am a worker in Detroit directly affected by this, of which, currently I am not, but to be honest, my Dad was a retired blue collar worker from GM, and my mother still gets his retirement checks from GM, so I have some family skin in the game.

#78 5 years ago

I am more of a realist... I dont ever expect things to get rosey all of a sudden and rainbows and unicorns to start shooting out my ass...

We are not in any end times and we certainly are not totally fucked... yet, but we are getting in deeper water, and it is getting harder to swim...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bublehead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-being-affected-by-the-new-gm-shutdown-?tu=bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.