(Topic ID: 230350)

Are you being affected by the new GM shutdown?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sturner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpg
21737dc4831499916560ce7f71b20a0aa7fc2156 (resized).jpg
oldies only (resized).jpg
51hgd92uLPL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
60 Corvette (resized).jpg
sdsdc (resized).jpg
Planets (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 4.40.23 PM (resized).png
15433493010951778782614 (resized).jpg
1543348706645-1438205450 (resized).jpg
1543348501810-1089110951 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

U.S.A./ Canada

Bummer news GM is sending out. Anybody on pinside going to feel the pain?

#2 5 years ago

I hope I will still be able to get parts for our piece of shit Cavalier.

#3 5 years ago

Wouldn’t worry about it. I’m told they better open up new factories “or else!”

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

U.S.A./ Canada
Bummer news GM is sending out. Anybody on pinside going to feel the pain?

I saw the news early this morning. It sucks, it's always around the holidays too. I have a feeling there will be more announcements in the first quarter of the new year.

#5 5 years ago

they totally shhut down their australian manufacturing arm last year

#6 5 years ago

It might effect our business a bit. Not entirely sure, as we deal with GM Rental Returns. The Impalas and Cruzes will be gone, but most likely replaced with Small SUV's. Edmonton is a long way away from Oshawa. Ontario will have problem. Heard that even Honda Accords and Toyota 4 door sedans are not selling well.

One thing for sure is that all car manufacturers use what I call "creative accounting". "We lost $230 Million last quarter" what is not mentioned is that they spent that on re-tooling a new production run, or upgrading a paint shop.

#7 5 years ago

Is this the beginning of the downturn?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Is this the beginning of the downturn?

#9 5 years ago

You can bet their high ups will get their christmas bonuses as a congratulations for saving the company money!

#10 5 years ago

Funny how this wasn't mentioned weeks ago (pre Nov 6th) when they made the decision.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

Funny how this wasn't mentioned weeks ago (pre Nov 6th) when they made the decision.

Where did you see that reported? I can guarantee that the Lordstown plant did not know until Sunday

#12 5 years ago

Gotta wonder why sales are down and GM isn't doing so well.

Quality control?
Outdated designs?
Price increases?
Peeling clearcoat and dimpled paint jobs?
Body panels not lining up or coming apart?
Boards that fail and only fit one model?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quality control?
Outdated designs?

Cheap gas, and people are buying Toyota and KIA SUVs

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quality control?
Outdated designs?

Lol, well maybe but most articles I read were talking about steel prices that put a billion dollar dent in their bottom line.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Heard that even Honda Accords and Toyota 4 door sedans are not selling well.

I think the issue is more that GM (and Ford for that matter) cannot compete with Honda and Toyota and are placing the blame on the public. I just bought a '19 Civic and see plenty of the 10th gen Civics on the road. I do agree that SUV seem to be selling better than cars though.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Quality control?
Outdated designs?
Price increases?

I see what you did there.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Where did you see that reported? I can guarantee that the Lordstown plant did not know until Sunday

Weeks ago here in Ontario there were some news reports of shifting focus from sedans to other types of vehicles.
I remember thinking 'that means plants will be closing'

#18 5 years ago

It's a combination of losing a billion dollars to the steel tariffs combined with recognizing that their market is split between a) US and Canada buyers mostly buying their SUV's and b) their foreign buyers trending hard toward electric only cars.

I hope no one here is directly affected.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

b) their foreign buyers trending hard toward electric only cars.

Guess they don;t like the Volt much

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pretty sure it's Obama's fault.

#21 5 years ago

They should have paid their bailout back, instead of awarding large "bonuses" to high level executives...

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hope I will still be able to get parts for our piece of shit Cavalier.

A product of the Lordstown, Ohio plant. I dated two girls who had Monza's built there....

#23 5 years ago

Compared to other electric cars, the Volt does suck. The rest are ungodly expensive though.

#24 5 years ago

In Aus and NZ most are buying double cab 4wd utes. Not 4 door sedans.

#25 5 years ago

These have just hit our market. 400+ KMs on 1 charge. Full electric.

1543348501810-1089110951 (resized).jpg1543348501810-1089110951 (resized).jpg
#26 5 years ago

Don't worry, GM cars will still be made in China.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

they totally shhut down their australian manufacturing arm last year

Why were they Holden on to that division for so long?

#28 5 years ago

GM Australia told the factory to stop making these till next year as they are not selling on this side of the world

1543348706645-1438205450 (resized).jpg1543348706645-1438205450 (resized).jpg
#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

GM Australia told the factory to stop making these till next year as they are not selling on this side of the world
[quoted image]

I just bought one on Friday. The red is amazing.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Heard that even Honda Accords and Toyota 4 door sedans are not selling well.

Well, when the older models are still running great after 300,000 miles, who needs to buy a new one?

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Why were they Holden on to that division for so long?

Same as Canada. The Government pilled millions and millions to keep people in a job, with GM to take half of the money back to Detroit and shut the factory down any way. Holden / GM is not well liked in Australia at the moment.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I just bought one on Friday. The red is amazing.

Glory Red

15433493010951778782614 (resized).jpg15433493010951778782614 (resized).jpg
#33 5 years ago

I can't wait to see how a self driving car is loaded and unloaded on a car carrier, if the car has no steering wheel.

#34 5 years ago

Fat people are tired of getting up out of a vehicle... here in ‘merica, we have got so fat we dont like getting up out of a sedan anymore. We would rather roll out of an SUV thats butt high and hit the street walking because you don’t do anything that might cause you to use those pesky abdominal muscles.

But on the closer side of the truth, we do not like having to fall into a sedan when we get in and have to climb out of it to get out. We have given up style and economy to utilitarianism and convenience. Pretty simple math.

#35 5 years ago

Terrible news and most of it is due to the shift from cars to SUV's. Why buy a 30mpg Malibu or Impala when an Equinox for the same price gets the same gas mileage? Who would want the smaller vehicle at that point? What's a shame though is that Chevy Volt production here in Michigan at one of GM's oldest plants is coming to an end in March. Still, GM could manufacture the new Trailblazer at one of the U.S plants that are closing, instead though it will be made in Mexico.

On another note a lot of people currently don't seem to care that much about gas mileage. A lot of people have also been having a blast with a great economy and are buying new expensive SUV's and trucks...that also come with huge loans in most cases. Just wait until the next recession though and / or if gas goes back to $4 a gallon...

Consumer debt is now $837 billion higher today then it was in 2008...We've had a great economy for a decade but I think there's been a ton of overspending by consumers in the form of higher end cars, huge student loans, big houses with big mortgages, etc.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/household-debt-hit-record-high-13-5-trillion-last-quarter-n937216

A good number of people that don't even work for GM will be affected by the plant closures and layoffs. I recall reading an article that said for every 1 GM job that there's 7 others that exist because of it (suppliers for example).

#36 5 years ago

Well, what do ya know, I thought the Volt was a better alternative to the pure electric cars. Small internal combustion engine so the generator to charge battery pack was ideal. You can drive long distances without worrying where to plug in. Bob Lutz needs to come back.

#37 5 years ago

I drive a volt for my commuter. Decent car but next daily driver will be all electric. Most of the people I’ve come across with a volt are switching to all electric in next vehicle. Kinda makes sense to me that it’s run it’s course....

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Compared to other electric cars, the Volt does suck. The rest are ungodly expensive though.

FYI, the Volt is not an electric car, it's a hybrid with a really big battery. Ive been driving one for the last 4 years. They really are great cars.

#39 5 years ago

I wonder if the Volt will last as long with few problems like some of these 300,000 mile Priuses that come in here.

I wouldn't drive one, but the owners seem pretty happy with them.

#40 5 years ago

Never had an issue with my volt. Rock solid at 85k.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Zdoor:

Rock solid at 85k.

So is our Cavalier. lol.

If it had much more than 100k on it, we would have passed.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Bob Lutz needs to come back.

Bob Lutz thinks this is a good move by GM.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder if the Volt will last as long with few problems like some of these 300,000 mile Priuses that come in here.
I wouldn't drive one, but the owners seem pretty happy with them.

GM over engineered the snot out of the battery system on the Volts. The upside to this is the battery packs tend to last a long time in the Volt. The downside is there are lots of systems that can break and are complex to fix. My first Volt was in the shop for two weeks once with a bad battery temperature sensor. I lost that car in a flood, otherwise I would still be driving it today. My current Volt that 93k miles on it, and has been trouble free. I plan to keep it until at least 150k miles.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Bob Lutz thinks this is a good move by GM.

I wasn't commenting on the layoff deal with him coming back. He was responsible for some of the best designs at GM.

#46 5 years ago

I work for a company that hires for some of GM's part suppliers in the US. From what I've been told, this is due to car sales (not truck/SUV) dropping. They will be upping production for truck and SUV. So...it's our fault for buying trucks and SUV's because our machines won't fit in a car.

#47 5 years ago

15,000 layoffs
Plus 15,000 migrants
Equals 30,000 people added to the government rolls...

LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!!!

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

15,000 layoffs
Plus 15,000 migrants
Equals 30,000 people added to the government rolls...
LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!!!

Mmmmm...cake....

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I saw the news early this morning. It sucks, its it's always around the holidays too. I have a feeling there will be more announcements in the first quarter of the new year.

GM does not want to pay for all of the holidays.

#50 5 years ago

It's not just GM, my company is doing a round of layoffs right now too. They always do around this time (when they do). It's a corporate thing to add that extra knife twist for being a loyal employee.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-being-affected-by-the-new-gm-shutdown-?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.