(Topic ID: 230350)

Are you being affected by the new GM shutdown?

By cottonm4

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sturner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpg
21737dc4831499916560ce7f71b20a0aa7fc2156 (resized).jpg
oldies only (resized).jpg
51hgd92uLPL._SX425_ (resized).jpg
60 Corvette (resized).jpg
sdsdc (resized).jpg
Planets (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 4.40.23 PM (resized).png
15433493010951778782614 (resized).jpg
1543348706645-1438205450 (resized).jpg
1543348501810-1089110951 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh for sure. Plus I couldn't afford a house that would fit my 15 games.
Man the weather is great but you gotta pay to play. I old never live without a basement

What about Slab City, California? I hear it's cheap

#152 5 years ago
download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#153 5 years ago

O-din,

You will be proud to know that The Federal Reserve Chairman has just blinked. He does not want to find himself being the next Presidential punching bag.

People who save their money will still be getting screwed over. Don't you just love those CD rates?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/28/investing/stock-market-today-dow-fed-jerome-powell/index.html

Inflation is not a problem. Not at all. The cat food I buy has just gone up 8%.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

People who save their money will still be getting screwed over. Don't you just love those CD rates?

And it's a shame those 30 year bonds from the early 90s will soon be maturing as well.

High interest rates, low interest rates, economic boom, deep recession. None of it ever seemed to have too much effect on me.

The trick is to know when it is time to earn money and when it is time to spend it. When to have a hard working job, and when to have periods of time off. Lately it's been cruise control and that doesn't look to change no matter what happens for me.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nobody's crystal ball showed China and Walmart being joined at the hip.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

That’s because China is way, way, way outspending us on investment in green energy, installing solar/wind/hydro, in creating new technologies, and incentivizing consumers and corporations. By any measure.

That's just so wrong. This is a country that still uses squatter holes in the ground in major cities to take a dump.

China does do a great job of stealing our intellectual property and trying to advance technology on our backs.

They are a communist society, we are capitalists and so many huge innovative companies here investing in the above and alternative sources of energy.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Inflation is not a problem. Not at all. The cat food I buy has just gone up 8%.

LOL! Try chewy.com. I've got 3 cats and a dog. But thanks for the inflation warning

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is a country that still uses squatter holes in the ground in major cities to take a dump.

Wait are we talking aboot Frisco?

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Same here. One guy driving, no passengers. 4 X 4 crew cab. Lots of them.

Where are you seeing a 60K house at? Someone you know have a nice dog house in the back yard?
Oh, yeah, one other thing. GM talks about moving people to other plants, such as Texas. That would be the plant in Arlington Texas. That area is hot. People already moving in from Michigan. And California. The Cali peeps think the Texas traffic is light and that all real estate is a bargain.
I lived in Arlington 40 years ago. I could not afford to move back down there now with RE prices the way they are. So, GM is going to send you to Texas. You will give your house away in Michigan. And pay thru the nose to buy one in Texas.

A good relocation package covers the housing cost differential.

#160 5 years ago

Didn't we already have global warming and an ecological shitstorm?

"The Dust Bowl was a period of severe dust storms that greatly damaged the ecology and agriculture of the American and Canadian prairies during the 1930s; severe drought and a failure to apply dryland farming methods to prevent the aeolian processes (wind erosion) caused the phenomenon.[1][2] The drought came in three waves, 1934, 1936, and 1939–1940, but some regions of the high plains experienced drought conditions for as many as eight years.[3] With insufficient understanding of the ecology of the plains, farmers had conducted extensive deep plowing of the virgin topsoil of the Great Plains during the previous decade; this had displaced the native, deep-rooted grasses that normally trapped soil and moisture even during periods of drought and high winds. The rapid mechanization of farm equipment, especially small gasoline tractors, and widespread use of the combine harvester contributed to farmers' decisions to convert arid grassland (much of which received no more than 10 inches (~250 mm) of precipitation per year) to cultivated cropland.[4]"

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Didn't we already have global warming and an ecological shitstorm?

Yes, science has proven there have been at least five previous major ice ages.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait are we talking aboot Frisco?

Imagine walking around downtown Shanghai doing a little shopping and you get a Code red from the road kill lunch you just ate.

You find a public restroom, take a shit, not a solid one mind you, and have to run back to the hotel because it was a no wipe no toilet paper experience.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, science has proven there have been at least five previous major ice ages.

Might be time to head East Odiner, especially if Global warming will increase earthquakes too.

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mmmmm...cake....

"The cake is a lie"

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Might be time to head East Odiner, especially if Global warming will increase earthquakes too.

I'm staying right here, man.

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm staying right here, man.

I just watched that again the other night! Thought about you riding that wave man.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thought about you riding that wave man.

I'm ready!

#168 5 years ago

Haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I remember hearing at one point that GM was LOSING $7,000 for every Chevy Volt it sold. It sure would make sense to stop production of that one, if that's true.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I remember hearing at one point that GM was LOSING $7,000 for every Chevy Volt it sold. It sure would make sense to stop production of that one, if that's true.

On the other hand, maybe someone could talk Stern and JJP into following that business model!

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

That's why GM is called "Government Motors"......amongst other reasons

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This is a country that still uses squatter holes in the ground in major cities to take a dump.

Quoted from iceman44:

Imagine walking around downtown Shanghai doing a little shopping and you get a Code red from the road kill lunch you just ate.

You find a public restroom, take a shit, not a solid one mind you, and have to run back to the hotel because it was a no wipe no toilet paper experience.

Was that public restroom a squatter hole? No TP is a disaster of the first degree.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's just so wrong. This is a country that still uses squatter holes in the ground in major cities to take a dump.
China does do a great job of stealing our intellectual property and trying to advance technology on our backs.
They are a communist society, we are capitalists and so many huge innovative companies here investing in the above and alternative sources of energy.

Clearly you’ve never been to China, either.

It’s a fact that China is outspending the USA on solar, wind and hydro - by 3 to 1 in fact. Go ahead an post up some facts that say otherwise, I already linked to data in my post.

For the record I’m not a fan of their government, their IP theft, their surveillance of their citizens, or a lot of things about China.

But facts are facts. They are kicking our ass on the global stage. And we are handing it to them. They are innovating, whether you want to believe it or not. It is very dangerous to underestimate one’s opponents. This ‘squatter hole’ bullshit isn’t going to help us regain our #1 spot, nor is a trade war.

P.S. Handling human waste in a major metropolis is a problem in the USA too. Try walking around downtown San Francisco sometime. Here’s a tip - don’t wear nice shoes.

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Clearly you’ve never been to China, either.
It’s a fact that China is outspending the USA on solar, wind and hydro - by 3 to 1 in fact. Go ahead an post up some facts that say otherwise, I already linked to data in my post.
For the record I’m not a fan of their government, their IP theft, their surveillance of their citizens, or a lot of things about China.
But facts are facts. They are kicking our ass on the global stage. And we are handing it to them. They are innovating, whether you want to believe it or not. It is very dangerous to underestimate one’s opponents. This ‘squatter hole’ bullshit isn’t going to help us regain our #1 spot, nor is a trade war.
P.S. Handling human waste in a major metropolis is a problem in the USA too. Try walking around downtown San Francisco sometime. Here’s a tip - don’t wear nice shoes.

Portland.......So clueless. It's been happening for 3 decades. Finally we are addressing the issues.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is this from personal experience?

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Portland.......

Texas...

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Is this from personal experience?

My brother and his wife recently. Get it?

#177 5 years ago

"P.S. Handling human waste in a major metropolis is a problem in the USA too. Try walking around downtown San Francisco sometime. Here’s a tip - don’t wear nice shoes."

No thanks, San Fran is a cesspool too. That's what happens when.......fill in the blank.

There are thousands more migrants heading that way and to Portland and Seattle. Love the Sanctuary.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My brother and his wife recently. Get it?

Your brother and his wife ate roadkill in Shanghai? I know, from personal experience, that you can get snake, cricket, scorpion, and all kinds of other things in China, but maybe they ought to be more careful where they eat next time.

#179 5 years ago

Take tariffs off the steel and put them on cars coming in from Mexico. Simple

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Your brother and his wife ate roadkill in Shanghai? I know, from personal experience, that you can get snake, cricket, scorpion, and all kinds of other things in China, but maybe they ought to be more careful where they eat next time.

Lol, ok that sounds good. I was embellishing the story but you get the point.

The people that weren't wearing masks were constantly hocking up loogies and spitting on the ground.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"P.S. Handling human waste in a major metropolis is a problem in the USA too. Try walking around downtown San Francisco sometime. Here’s a tip - don’t wear nice shoes."
No thanks, San Fran is a cesspool too. That's what happens when.......fill in the blank.
There are thousands more migrants heading that way and to Portland and Seattle. Love the Sanctuary.

My point is that for being the highest concentration of money on the fucking planet, you’d think the government of San Francisco would be able to put some shitters in.

But that’s what happens when government doesn’t give a shit about people. Welcome to America.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

My point is that for being the highest concentration of money on the fucking planet, you’d think the government of San Francisco would be able to put some shitters in.
But that’s what happens when government doesn’t give a shit about people. Welcome to America.

Agreed. It's because the media doesn't give a F. If they spent a few minutes on San Fran coverage versus migrants from Honduras maybe people would wake up a bit?

It's horrible what's going on. San Fran is the 1% capital of the world and zero middle class with a homeless population that is disgraceful for this country.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lol, ok that sounds good. I was embellishing the story but you get the point.
The people that weren't wearing masks were constantly hocking up loogies and spitting on the ground.

Yeah there are a lot of Chinese cultural differences. They hold their infants up in the street so they can take a dump, too.
The spitting and smoking is off the charts disgusting to my Western sensibilities. I could go on.

But they’re still kicking our ass on the global stage, mostly because our asshole capitalists captains of industry are paying themselves hundreds of times more than their workers and pushing all of our manufacturing to them, instead of paying a living wage so that our own people could actually buy stuff.

That greedy and calculated tax cut, as predicted, didn’t do fuck all to add jobs. It lined the pockets of the rich, as trickle down economics /always/ does.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

That greedy and calculated tax cut, as predicted, didn’t do fuck all to add jobs. It lined the pockets of the rich, as trickle down economics /always/ does.

That's not the problem. We have the lowest unemployment rate in decades.

Educate yourself. Seriously, wtf.

The tax cut impacts EVERYONE for the better and those that really need it. I know, i deal with my clients every day as a CPA/financial planner. it's just a fact and one that people will realize when they file their return for 2018.

IF someone actually has a job and pays federal income tax they will be paying LESS in 2018 versus 2017.

I realize the handout crowd would like free TV's, cell phones and everything else but that's not how it works.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agreed. It's because the media doesn't give a F. If they spent a few minutes on San Fran coverage versus migrants from Honduras maybe people would wake up a bit?
It's horrible what's going on. San Fran is the 1% capital of the world and zero middle class with a homeless population that is disgraceful for this country.

San Fran is just one symptom of the overall problem. We have to find a way to take care of all of our citizens.

With the insane amount of money we have, nobody should go without a roof over their heads and three squares.

There is disgrace everywhere. Executive compensation is a disgrace. Our medical system is a disgrace. Our social systems are a disgrace. Our educational system is a disgrace. This lack of honor and respect for science is a disgrace.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

San Fran is just one symptom of the overall problem. We have to find a way to take care of all of our citizens.

Those that need the help. 100%. That's what the social safety net is supposed to be about.

Those that can help themselves and choose not to is a disgrace as well.

This country is the BY FAR the most generous and charitable on earth.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The media is totally controlled. They are told what to say. Remember at one with in the last year cnn had lower ratings than Cartoon Network.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's not the problem. We have the lowest unemployment rate in decades.
Educate yourself. Seriously, wtf.
The tax cut impacts EVERYONE for the better and those that really need it. I know, i deal with my clients every day as a CPA/financial planner. it's just a fact and one that people will realize when they file their return for 2018.
IF someone actually has a job and pays federal income tax they will be paying LESS in 2018 versus 2017.
I realize the handout crowd would like free TV's, cell phones and everything else but that's not how it works.

Are you fucking kidding me?

You understand that the unemployment rate is a meaningless measure, right? It’s completely dodgy how it is calculated. Educate yourself.

You don’t pass a massive tax cut while you’re swimming in debt as a country, unless you’re a criminal looking to line your pockets.

People working in shitty gig economy jobs as contractors with no benefits is NOT progress, man. I’m not talking about TVs, mobile and shit like that. That crap is practically free, thanks to outsourcing it to China. There’s nobody demanding free tech as handouts, what in the hell makes you think that?

I’m talking about not having to work all the time, not losing your house because you get sick, being able to put your kids into decent schools, and not having to mortgage your life to get a college degree.

Get out in the world and interact with people and stop listening to talk radio.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Those that need the help. 100%. That's what the social safety net is supposed to be about.
Those that can help themselves and choose not to is a disgrace as well.
This country is the BY FAR the most generous and charitable on earth.

No, not by any measure. You really need to get out and travel a bit, or at least take the time to do some research.

Just one example: I was just in Brunei. All of its citizens get free education all the way to university, free healthcare, ultra cheap gasoline, subsidized housing, and that’s not even all of it.

#190 5 years ago

San Fran has a poop map. Google it. Some of my friends went a few months ago with their kids and they were shocked what they saw. Such a disgrace.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Get out in the world and interact with people and stop listening to talk radio.

I have 600+ clients that i interact with daily

Sorry you are just ignorant. And apparently a no hoper.

There are less than a 1/2 million people in Brunei. Fact check, there are 330 million in the US.

Man you just really don't get it do you? Move to Brunei and see how that works out for you.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

You don’t pass a massive tax cut while you’re swimming in debt as a country, unless you’re a criminal looking to line your pockets.

People working in shitty gig economy jobs as contractors with no benefits is NOT progress, man. I’m not talking about TVs, mobile and shit like that. That crap is practically free, thanks to outsourcing it to China. There’s nobody demanding free tech as handouts, what in the hell makes you think that?

Idiotic. Last regime accumulated more debt that ALL others combined in history.

Unemployment at the lowest rate in decades.

Antifa rules right?! Go Portland.

Let me guess, you are hopping in your Tesla as we speak.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The tax cut impacts EVERYONE for the better

Well not our kids and grandkids who will be responsible for dealing with the massive debt.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-being-affected-by-the-new-gm-shutdown-/page/4?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.