(Topic ID: 20393)

Are you a fan of major playfield customization/modification? Yay or nay?

By Quicksilver1

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Hellfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b700cfdf5e81650a6cc28deb8cfa0d4b.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Just came across this Black Hole video on YouTube that has had some pretty extensive modification. I was wondering if most pinball fans here like and appreciate the amount of work that goes into mods like this, or do most players tend to be purists and feel like mods like this ruin the integrity of the original design? Just curious as to what side of the fence most people are on?

#2 11 years ago

That version of black hole is a lot more interesting to me than the original, but I think its way too much.

#3 11 years ago

What he did was is amazing.
    Plenty of BHs out there to modify, 1 less is not really going to be missed.

It's their games, I couldn't care less what they do with them. On the other hand, you won't see me doing anything like this... way too much work.

#4 11 years ago

I think it's pretty neat but if I was looking for a Black Hole I would want the original. His customization is really great though.

#5 11 years ago

Wow that's really awesome.

#6 11 years ago

the mirrored pf is really impressive

#7 11 years ago

I think it's brilliant!

#8 11 years ago

Yes and yes. Normally I don't like playfield alteration. Gimme original. But when there is that much thought and effort put into a build, I will go with that. Besides, I look at that as more of a custom game which just happens to be very similar to an existing game of the same name.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Yes and yes. Normally I don't like playfield alteration. Gimme original. But when there is that much thought and effort put into a build, I will go with that. Besides, I look at that as more of a custom game which just happens to be very similar to an existing game of the same name.

+1.

That's beyond major. That's re-engineering the game. The Geometry is the same, but the physics and appearance are drastically changed.

#10 11 years ago

I have to yay this one. I love that playfield. When the lower level turns on and off, it's a great effect. Adding a skill shot too was genius

#11 11 years ago

That's funny. I had some people over tonight and they were talking about that exact game and showed me the video. I think it's amazing.

I can go either way tho. I Love keeping things original. But at the same time something's can be added to a game and make it what I like to call OEM plus. Things added and keep the game original but improved. There is a fine line when modding a game and customizing.

In the end I guess I would have to say I'm on the customization side since this is the Xenon I just finished.

// Error: Image 32637 not found //

#12 11 years ago

Theres an TAF thats all modified I seen that looked killer. Total custom job that I never saw before and it was tasteful. i'am sure some of you pinheads seen it on the web, I cant remember where I saw it, but I wont forget it. So I have to say "YAY" as long as its tasteful and looks as if it was from the factory.

#13 11 years ago

Man, that's some amazing work. I think as long as its tastefully done its fine, and this is.

#14 11 years ago

I personally think that is one hell of a mod.
    It is Beautiful in jet black. I really like the look of the PF, pops and the xenon style tube for skill shot.
    If something like this came up local depending on the price I would be interested.
    It must be done right to be reliable but it looks great.

#15 11 years ago

Not so much of a playfield mod, but one of my favorites next to that BH.

And yes, that's a real coffin.

b700cfdf5e81650a6cc28deb8cfa0d4b.jpgb700cfdf5e81650a6cc28deb8cfa0d4b.jpg

#16 11 years ago

The wide-body Addams Family is cool.

http://www.specialpinball.com/

So is all his other stuff. But this is not the norm and most stuff you see is either a work of art or a work of a noob.

#17 11 years ago

that thing is absolutely gorgeous. I'm usually more of a purist (want to see how it was meant to be played from the factory), but this definitely adds a lot to making it play better. That layer of mirrored glass on top is nuts, I can only imagine the time it took to redrill all the holes for the posts and rails.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

So is all his other stuff. But this is not the norm and most stuff you see is either a work of art or a work of a noob.

+1 on widebody TAF and Wizard Blocks.

#19 11 years ago

I love that Black Hole. I was actually talking about that video yesterday myself. Would love a Black Hole like this one and wish there were several modded this way with the mirrored lower playfield. Extremely cool!

Creativity should be encouraged and this guy was extremely creative with his Black Hole.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Not so much of a playfield mod, but one of my favorites next to that BH.

And yes, that's a real coffin.

I LOVE this!

#21 11 years ago

I am against the grain here, but I like keeping it original unless the mod is something that was in prototypes but cut to save costs. With the way pin prices are spiraling upward, I see them like classic cars. Original is preferable, mods decrease value IMO.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The wide-body Addams Family is cool.
    http://www.specialpinball.com/

Never seen this before I want the MM and the TAF. amazing looking work.

#23 11 years ago

Well i like mods for certain but it realy depends on the game in question
    If it is a high production game like Xenon Black Hole etc its fine if done tastefully
    But at the same time it would be awful if done on a game like Varkon that is extremely rare and should be preserved as original
    Leds are a harmless reversable mod different star post colors exceptable on rare game but major mods on rare birds is a bad thing

Either way i like to make most mods i do reversable as possible so the machine can be converted back to original if need be
    but either way a mod should be done with quality and professionaly or dont ruin the machine if you dont know what youre doing
    Thats my opinion at least

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-a-fan-of-major-playfield-customizationmodification-yay-or-nay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.