(Topic ID: 251764)

Are you a buyer or potential buyer for Elvira’s House of Horrors?

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“Are you a buyer or potential buyer for Elvira’s House of Horrors?”

• Yes - have or will purchase(d) or placed deposit on an LE or SE 76 votes
    14%
  • Yes - have or will purchase(d) or placed deposit on a Premium 39 votes
    7%
  • Really want the game but holding off decision until there is evidence playfield clear issues are resolved 93 votes
    18%
  • No - interested, but not at the Premium price point 150 votes
    28%
  • No - not a potential buyer (state reason in comments) 172 votes
    32%

(530 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

123951(81) (resized).jpg
MA 1 (resized).jpg
cc2.gif
cc.gif
screen-capture-7 (resized).png
sim.gif
There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

Interested in seeing how many people are buying/considering Elvira’s House of Horrors after yesterday’s announcement.

Are you in/out/undecided/not interested? Why?

#2 4 years ago

Undecided, need to see gameplay and ultimately play the game. LE looks awesome but seems way overpriced considering the additions are just cosmetic. $800 over typical Stern LE pricing...

#3 4 years ago

Not interested, ACNC is coming soon instead.

#4 4 years ago

Not any title until we know for sure the PF clear coating issues were properly addressed.

#5 4 years ago

I want to go back to the 80s or 90s
pricing is getting stupid expensive for games that have less and less compared to games from those eras mentioned. and yes, I'm speaking in relative dollars

additionally, all of this pre-ordering sight unseen (with some distributors requiring non-refundable deposits?!?) end up with games being "SOLD OUT" months before they're even officially announced

I get it that it cool to have something limited. but when you are limiting the production number to 50 or less world-wide, it ends up turning a scavenger hunt into an unobtainium hunt

#6 4 years ago

Hell, we'd buy them all if we had the room/money, wouldn't we?

I think it looks great, I'd like to get one somewhere down the line.

#7 4 years ago

No
Looks like a souped up Munsters...

I expected something with better colors, (more red) - and a more original layout like IMDN and JP.
At this price point: I do not see anything special about the game, and Scared Stiff seems better.
Hope I'm wrong:

#8 4 years ago

I think I will get both a Metallica and a EATPM for basically the same money and be happy. A nice EATPM just floated by locally and I let it go and now I regret it. But another one will come I'm sure.

#9 4 years ago

I was very hyped for this pin, but after thinking it all over I decided to pass. The house really is just a fancy diverter for the orbits, the trunk is just a fancy kick back, and the VUK is kinda pointless.

The crypt pretty cool. I'm going to wait it out maybe pick up a HUO a few years down the road when the code matures. In the meantime my next pin is going to be a Ghostbusters Premium.

#10 4 years ago

Its hard to tell by just looking at the pictures but it doesn't look like there is much of anything going on in the game. Certainly nothing appears to be overly original. But its hard to really know until the game is released and you can play it. However, my hunch is that its going to be a mediocre game with an excellent theme. Since I already have SS, I'm thinking ACNC might be a better bet.

#11 4 years ago

Id love one, but at current price points im out. Ill keep buying 80’s machines i have emotional attachment to.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Not interested, ACNC is coming soon instead.

I have both coming

#13 4 years ago

I'll coin the hell out of this one with pleasure, but it just doesn't fit what I'm looking for in a home collection from what I've seen. I'm not seeing anything about it that says adrenaline rush like Iron Maiden or Black Knight. I'm also not seeing anything that says beautiful light show like Dialed In or JJ Pirates. Not seeing some crazy flow like Star Trek. All of these are the same reasons Batman 66 doesn't fit me.

#14 4 years ago

If this was priced the same as the last premiums Stern put out I would have already ordered but I refuse to pay $400 more

#15 4 years ago

The pricepoint really kills it for me, but that aside I still had almost no plans of buying one. The theme isn't really one I'm into, but I'd love to try it out if the barcade near me gets one.

#17 4 years ago

I’m waiting to see the gameplay etc.

While I wanted to like BM66 based on the theme and code, I really don’t like how it plays one bit. I think it’s poor design overly complex. So while Elvira might seem more basic layout like MM or AFM that could be great thing because games like that shoot great.

#18 4 years ago

zero chance I'll ever buy another NIB game from Stern until they actually admit there was a clear coat issue and start taking care of the customers who are affected....its fine they charge a premium for their product, but that needs to include adequate warranty and customer support.

#19 4 years ago

i saw maybe. considering Elvira. deciding between it, JP, or MB. want to play Elvira 1st of course. i think it looks better than JP, but it's hard to say without playing both a lot. i know a lot of people like JP, but i'm luke warm on it right now.

#20 4 years ago

Just to damn expensive anymore. How the hell can an operator make a buck back and share profits with the location?
Even at a Buck a game, a location game would take almost 2 years to make a profit.
Kill the coin door, these games are only for collectors anymore unless its a pro. Even at pro price shipped, 6k, still not worth it anymore to place on location.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Just damn expensive anymore. How the hell can an operator make a buck back and share profits with the location?
Even at a Buck a game, a location game would take almost 2 years to make a profit.
Kill the coin door, these games are only for collectors anymore unless its a pro. Even at pro price shipped, 6k, still not worth it anymore to place on location.

Well, that settles it!

There are no more pinball location games anymore folks, you heard it here first.

#22 4 years ago

No. Fix the clear issues. Stern's own promo shows playfield pooling Jesus.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

zero chance I'll ever buy another NIB game from Stern until they actually admit there was a clear coat issue and start taking care of the customers who are affected....its fine they charge a premium for their product, but that needs to include adequate warranty and customer support.

I agree with this dude.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

No. Fix the clear issues. Stern's own promo shows playfield pooling Jesus.

It does?

You are gonna have to better than that dumb pic people keep posting!

I mean it wouldn't surprise me but that pic doesn't really do the trick for me.

#25 4 years ago

If Stern releases EHOH with PF pooling/chipping issues it would be a disaster for Stern and demonstrate they don't care . And why should they care if they sell out before people get a chance to play and given the PF situation we are already in.

I'm hoping Stern doesn't mess up, and ensures that the PFs are good going forward. But I am not taking the risk ...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 4 years ago

It has my interest but I need to play it first see what the gameplay is like and the code. I also want to see if the clear coat issue is resolved before I decide to buy one.

#27 4 years ago

Sorry I guess I haven't been keeping up daily with pinside as much.. which particular game(s) had pf clear coat issues..
I'm in on an LE deposit for now on EHOH.

#28 4 years ago

I'm holding off until the dust settles. If anything would like to see the standard available with the rails and powder coat. I figure the guys with the 3D printers are already making plans for detailed buildings too. Since Stern "listened" after The Munsters intro, maybe there is a good chance for a "mild" LE with the appropriate price point.

#29 4 years ago

No reason not to be patient. I’d love to own a Premium down the road. Looks like a ton of fun.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Sorry I guess I haven't been keeping up daily with pinside as much.. which particular game(s) had pf clear coat issues..
I'm in on an LE deposit for now on EHOH.

All of them. Enjoy your dice roll.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, that settles it!
There are no more pinball location games anymore folks, you heard it here first.

Missed the point levi.
All of my local locations and barcades have a great selection of EM, SS, System 11, and 90's era dmd's. Lot cheaper than NIB fatigue games with inflated prices.
Sure, there is a few new Sterns, Deadpool and maiden. But the gatta buy it now Sterns cause its new and hot. I know all my location owners, they aint having it anymore either.

#32 4 years ago

NIB games are climbing to the point where they are too expensive to seriously interest me these days. There are plenty of other options on the market, and I'm perfectly fine with second-hand & older games. I don't need the latest & greatest. After all, my newest game is 12 years old.

For Stern specifically, Spike node board issues and clear coat issues are concerning.

#33 4 years ago

Im a big horror buff. So i was very interested. Especially hearing there was going to be a giant Interactive haunted house on the PF>

But after seeing it. Its too generic and the Art and style of Elvira is just too campy and not spooky enough for me.

#34 4 years ago

Missed the point levi.
All of my local locations and barcades have a great selection of EM, SS, System 11, and 90's era dmd's. Lot cheaper than NIB fatigue games with inflated prices.
Sure, there is a few new Sterns, Deadpool and maiden. But the gatta buy it now Sterns cause its new and hot. I know all my location owners, they aint having it anymore either.

Well here in NYC all new titles are on location. So clearly the location owners / route ops are totally having it!

And for good reason. They bring in earning much higher than the old stuff. At least that's what they tell me.

#35 4 years ago

Too much money for me at base level model - pricing on Promium is high to me.

#36 4 years ago

Too expensive for what it is, but do admit it looks nice.

#37 4 years ago

Not a fan of NIB, rather buy multiple B/W compared to one NIB.

#38 4 years ago

This one is targeting collectors. Too much $ to route IMO. It’s basically $2k more than JP Pro and will likely earn less due to niche audience.

My interest is piqued, but I’m out at full price. May buy second-hand next year if it’s a winner.

#39 4 years ago

No - not a potential buyer (state reason in comments)

I keep getting told in one of the Elvira threads that an empty playfield is practically a guarantee that this game will be in the top 3 of all time. After all, AFM is empty, and that is number 2. But in reality, just no. Let me list the innovations in this game:

1. Almost empty box (respect the fan).
2. Stern playfield issues not acknowledged of fixed.
3. But... but... but the premium only went up $400. Sheesh.

Empty playfield, questionable quality, higher price. That is just a formula for a hard pass on this. Stern may really need to have a close look at their playfield issues. Because out of the three issues I list here, THAT is the one that will bite them the hardest. They can always lower prices, and empty playfields can be a legitimate design choice. But the stench of poor quality lingers long after the game is sold to the next owner.

#40 4 years ago

With the prices increasing and like 8k plus shipping how can the masses afford these pins? I'm out and now just buy HUO or display pins like a bought my Iron Maiden after it used at Comic Com and saved several hundred off retail.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

With the prices increasing and like 8k plus shipping how can the masses afford these pins? I'm out and now just buy HUO or display pins like a bought my Iron Maiden after it used at Comic Com and saved several hundred off retail.

Shipping is included in the price on all new Sterns.

#42 4 years ago

Just to damn expensive anymore. How the hell can an operator make a buck back and share profits with the location?

Maybe depending the location, I’ve seen plenty of MB LE, Wonka LE, Munsters LE and lots of premium pins. I’m not sure if the ops are taking a loss to get the good games tho.

#43 4 years ago

Game looks super fun, and I am looking forward to playing on location, but pne can only have so many machines in their basement.
Bought an AFMr, IMDN, JP2 this year - so I am set
I have room for maybe 1-2 more pins - going to wait now to see what 2021 brings

Zero reason to rush out and buy anything right now

#44 4 years ago

If Stern killed the coin door they wouldn't lower the price, would just mean more profit for them!

#45 4 years ago

I'm a firm maybe, it looks like it has potential beyond what Munsters offered. However, it depends on actual pinhead accounts of gameplay being good (past the honeymoon phase) AND reports the PF issues have been resolved.

I'm also possibly in for a JP2 Pro but the PF issues definitely have to be fixed before I plunk down $$$

#46 4 years ago

If there was a pro model, I would consider it used down the line because Lyman is on code.

As it is, it will never fall into my price range of $6k or less unless the used market starts to implode some.

The market for this game seems like it would be like BKSOR...people who liked the previous 2 games, and that's about it. And since BKSOR didn't appear to sell well, it's hard for me to believe that this will sell much outside of the SLE/LE's which will probably be gone immediately. It's not like Batman 66 which has a huge fanbase outside of pinball.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Shipping is included in the price on all new Sterns.

okay but some place you now have to pay state taxes so add that instead of shipping

#48 4 years ago

Way too many games I haven't played to consider a brand new, over priced pin with potential problems that will affect resale/trade value down the line.

I can afford them, but I'd feel stupid paying $8000 for goddamn pinball machine. Say that out loud to a crowd of people - I Paid $8000 for an Elvira pinball machine. It's a pretty retarded statement and purchase.

#49 4 years ago

I do think it looks like a great machine, but price and theme are not for me, especially with PF issues. One day Stern will pull it all together and finally get my money.

#50 4 years ago

Looks fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

10,000 (Firm)
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
St. Petersburg, FL
Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.95
There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-a-buyer-or-potential-buyer-for-elviras-house-of-horrors?hl=javagrind888 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.