New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 251764)

Are you a buyer or potential buyer for Elvira’s House of Horrors?

By jfh

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 202 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Are you a buyer or potential buyer for Elvira’s House of Horrors?”

• Yes - have or will purchase(d) or placed deposit on an LE or SE 76 votes
    14%
  • Yes - have or will purchase(d) or placed deposit on a Premium 38 votes
    7%
  • Really want the game but holding off decision until there is evidence playfield clear issues are resolved 89 votes
    17%
  • No - interested, but not at the Premium price point 150 votes
    29%
  • No - not a potential buyer (state reason in comments) 172 votes
    33%

(525 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

123951(81) (resized).jpg
MA 1 (resized).jpg
cc2.gif
cc.gif
screen-capture-7 (resized).png
sim.gif

There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Edster:

I was in on an LE but now it looks like maybe, MAYBE a Premium.
Everyone needs to pull back and these price hikes will hopefully start to relax. Just like concert tickets these days, prices are just going stupid high because people just keep paying.
If everyone stopped buying in protest of the playfield issues, it would get resolved very quickly.

Oh concert tickets, don’t get me started. Decent seats are ridiculously expensive! Then there is merchandise and so on.

#152 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are they easy to install and do games play differently?

My only experience to date was for a HSII that I was going to put on route. I did a tear down shop on it anyway so it wasnt hard. Difficulty depends on how many items you have to remove, as usually areas like slings, ramp flaps, etc secure it. With a wide open pf like elvira shouldnt be too hard. Probably the most difficult area will be up by the pops and upper ball lanes.

And no, I didnt notice any game play difference.

#153 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have been putting playfield protectors on every NIB since 2016. The protectors and Cliffys go one before we plunge a ball.

they are good to protect the general playfield but hopefully there are no pooling issues as these will do nothing for that

#154 1 year ago
Quoted from Banker:

LE ordered , will likely just add . Like my collection and not sure what I would sell.

This or That?

Your opinion please.

Batman66 or Starwars premium or Avatar?

I've barely played all 3 but want one of them

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

This or That?
Your opinion please.

Batman is the best of these.

#156 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

This or That?
Your opinion please.

Batman66 is like, 10x better than the other pins (and I used to have Star Wars Premium and I've played Avatar plenty)

#157 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

This or That?
Your opinion please.

I own both a BM66 and SW Premium and so far, have more fun on my SW. Although more brutal, I enjoy the shots more and love being able to increase the multiplier and move it around.

As far as this thread and Elvira's HoH goes, the game looks like it will be fun, but I have an ACNC coming and I appreciate its uniqueness as opposed to yet another Stern with rollovers and pops in the upper right corner, etc. As I have limited space and funds like most everyone else, I am focusing more on games with more non-standard layouts and features for my future purchases.

#158 1 year ago

I have changed my status from ‘placed a deposit’ to ‘really want the game but concerned about playfield QC’.

I really like the look and art of the LE (especially the Bally throwback look of the playfield) and the apparent design of the game play. I feel somewhat depressed that I gave up a locked in LE slot but just don’t have enough disposable income to place a $10k gamble that my game would have a playfield that doesn’t become its own horror show.

E3 is one of my three “dream” themes announced/rumored in the last couple years (Munsters/Elvira/Toy Story). Won’t pull the trigger on Munsters without a significant code update and instead of jumping in feet first in Elvira as planned, I’m being practical.

I will absolutely buy this game if there is no reason to worry about the playfield and/or clear. Until then, I’m a very interested observer.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I have changed my status from ‘placed a deposit’ to ‘really want the game but concerned about playfield QC’.
I really like the look and art of the LE (especially the Bally throwback look of the playfield) and the apparent design of the game play. I feel somewhat depressed that I gave up a locked in LE slot but just don’t have enough disposable income to place a $10k gamble that my game would have a playfield that doesn’t become its own horror show.
E3 is one of my three “dream” themes announced/rumored in the last couple years (Munsters/Elvira/Toy Story). Won’t pull the trigger on Munsters without a significant code update and instead of jumping in feet first in Elvira as planned, I’m being practical.
I will absolutely buy this game if there is no reason to worry about the playfield and/or clear. Until then, I’m a very interested observer.

The new JP2’s seem to be coming out all okay though?

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

they are good to protect the general playfield but hopefully there are no pooling issues as these will do nothing for that

I already know that. I refuse to let a manufacturing issue stop me from enjoying pinball. This is the same shit that happened in the last 90's. People started complaining about the same shit and Williams went... See you later. I am not going to contribute to that happening again.

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I already know that. I refuse to let a manufacturing issue stop me from enjoying pinball. This is the same shit that happened in the last 90's. People started complaining about the same shit and Williams went... See you later. I am not going to contribute to that happening again.

but those people would of most probably been arcades operators, and rightly so if they see the products stuffing up quicker than normal - games were their income

there was more money in pokies than pinball which was the greater reason for why Williams went a different direction in the 90's

anyway the issue is the state of pooling on recent games and I believe owners of the now targeted market of collectors requires a better quality product to be provided for the coin paid

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's even worse now

Now come on, I had a great time in Miami each time I went with Allan and he got us VIP passes.

#164 1 year ago

I'm not in on this one. I'm holding out for GnR.

If that doesn't work out I'm looking at possibly getting a nice EM or another older game to add to my collection.

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

anyway the issue is the state of pooling on recent games and I believe owners of the now targeted market of collectors requires a better quality product to be provided for the coin paid

I agree with you. People need to vote with their wallet. They also need to know plenty of facts before making decisions.

#166 1 year ago

I'm not in on this one. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of locations near me that are getting one, so I don't even have to think about it. Not that I would have had to think much at the price point for this one, not too mention that other issues that have popped up lately. It's an easy pass for me. I do hope they get things straightened out sooner than later though, I love JP2 and would definitely pick one of those up at the right price in the future.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I hope so. But haven’t seen any of the redesigned JP2 playfields yet. Didn’t they just come out the last week or so? Still, Stern hasn’t said anything publicly that I’m aware of and distributors responses to my “will you warranty the playfield?” question haven’t instilled much confidence, so I’m on the sidelines until there’s definitive evidence the problem is fixed and/or Stern is clear about what will be addressed as a defect.

#168 1 year ago

I too am on the "Sidelines"... with all these companies.

I'm not laying down $7-$10 G's, on any of them any more, until this soft / pooling / chipping BS is sorted out.

All my close friends (the: Jackson's / Washington's / Grant's / Franklin's) deep in my wallet, totally agree with me.

Thank You!
Kerry

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Obsessed with materialism

Nope. Are you obsessed with jealousy?

#170 1 year ago

A long time I’ve been waiting for this pin... the second it dropped I reserved an LE immediately, even paid in full. But after I seen the live stream I cancelled it today. Such a disappointment. Personally can’t believe Elvira signed off on it. It barely has anything to do with her in my opinion. Garbage call outs and clips of movies... it’s Munsters all over again. But this time I’m not getting sucked in. yes, I own Munsters and it’s awful. I’m tired of hearing the code will get better... my god, HAVE THE CODE READY after almost 2 years. 10k and the game is crap. I’m tired of being let down now. Sold GB because of this then got stuck again with Munsters. BTW I also own a SS and it’s the best pin of the 3 by far. I was hoping E3 would be “mistress of the dark” or something at least related to Elvira... it’s not even close. Since I live in Chicago I’ll be at the big pin meet with Elvira. Can’t wait to see what others think. Pretty sure I’m done with Stern for a while. Im super disappointed.

#171 1 year ago

Such a letdown. I keep hearing Nordman being thrown around. Yes he "designed" the machine but if one was to walk up to the machine without knowing who made it, there would be now way in hell I would guess Nordman. Straight boring ramps, no physical boogiemen, looks like a cheaper two bit ripoff of a MM without a cool drawbridge. But hey the roof spins. What a waste of a title. I'll put quarters in it but not a chance in hell I'd even pay a second hand price for one.

#172 1 year ago

Was not wowed for sure even after seeing the stream and No pro model. Big pass. Too bad. This theme was really high on my list. It would take a lot for me to change my mind. Too much dough for a game that doesn't wow me. And I like Elvira a lot. Ambivalent overall about the game that was built and factor in the high cost - can't do it this time.

#173 1 year ago

no new games for me from jjp or stern. I can't feel sorry for a idiot that does after what we've seen out of their playfields lately.

#174 1 year ago

I recently played SS at a neighbor's house for the first time and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd be in on this new Elvira game. After watching game play on YouTube, I'm not so sure anymore. I'll definitely wait and play the game before making a final decision. There's a lot to like, but it just seems to be missing the vibe I was expecting after playing SS. And what the heck is up with the bright pool floats popping up everywhere and conflicting with the overall visual tone of the game?

2 weeks later
#175 1 year ago

No, as I am hoping a really nice ( including play field) SS floats out of this w a reasonable price.

PM if you on that fence as I have cash to buy, but need a very nice example ( no gashes in the play field in front of the casket, minimal scoop wear) at a reasonable price.

#176 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

No, as I am hoping a really nice ( including play field) SS floats out of this w a reasonable price.
PM if you on that fence as I have cash to buy, but need a very nice example ( no gashes in the play field in front of the casket, minimal scoop wear) at a reasonable price.

Just recently sold my really nice Scared Stiff to a B/W collector looking for one and the new Elvira HoH game hoopla is making me miss it all the more. A great game - good hunting!

#177 1 year ago

Another standard fan layout, sweet FA on the playfield and plastic ramps...really.! Is this suppose to be boutique....i must be missing something.

#178 1 year ago
Quoted from earetz:

Another standard fan layout, sweet FA on the playfield and plastic ramps...really.! Is this suppose to be boutique....i must be missing something.

You are definitely missing something LOL

#179 1 year ago

Have warmed a little to the game. Maybe will get to play it at Expo.

But the pricing still holds me back on any chance of a purchase. Just is too much dough to me.

Add a Pro version. Then I might open my wallet. I could do without spinning roof and popping gargoyles if something needs to be subtracted to make a Pro model.

#180 1 year ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Was not wowed for sure even after seeing the stream and No pro model. Big pass. Too bad. This theme was really high on my list. It would take a lot for me to change my mind. Too much dough for a game that doesn't wow me. And I like Elvira a lot. Ambivalent overall about the game that was built and factor in the high cost - can't do it this time.

Definite pass! Way too many good games out there to waste your money on this snooze fest. Total money grab and to bad some many got bamboozled into this one. One munsters was enough and now this, ugh!

#181 1 year ago
Quoted from earetz:

But those plastic ramps mean buttery smooth shots. Lol. I'm so tired of hearing that. Of course shots will be smooth, all plastic ramps are as...its plastic!

I'm fine with the main portion of the ramp being plastic but at least add metal habit rails with proper William style dome covers.

#182 1 year ago

Played it a LOT last night. The game is fun to play, but it just doesn’t have that grab that brings me back again and again (like Ghostbusters) and is nothing like it’s predecessors. I hate to be a “Debbie Downer” on this one but well there it is...

#183 1 year ago

HELLZ NO!

#184 1 year ago

Not any longer..too bad..disappointed

#185 1 year ago
#187 1 year ago

From the beginning, I liked the way it looked. However, I was a little concerned about how open and far back the playfield shots appeared. Then, the dead flip stream happened. Honestly, I was not thrilled and a bit disappointed. Now, I have played it at Expo. I want one.

The integration of the layout, theme and what they have to work with and the direction of where Lyman is taking the code. I can envision how this will be upon completion. It’s fun and it will complete and compliment this trilogy of Elvira.

#188 1 year ago

I'd definitely consider buying one at standard Stern prices, but for the extra boutique price, I'm not sure. I actually think HoH looks like a fun pin, and I think it awesome that it has new Elvira footage and callouts. Sometimes its nice to have a pin that is easy to understand and that won't kick your @ss, you know?

#189 1 year ago

People are loving the new code. Fun game for sure, great for the casual player. If a lot of depth is added I think people will really grow to love it

123951(81) (resized).jpg
#190 1 year ago

Pass for me.... too many games i would rather buy at that price point.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

Not interested, ACNC is coming soon instead.

What does ACNC stand for? Thanks

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from Strummy:

What does ACNC stand for? Thanks

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle

2 weeks later
#193 1 year ago

I’d prefer at pro price, to me the game was fine. But heck not as good as Maiden so if there was a choice my money is going to Maiden or SW (in fact is going to SW). Sure SW is barren and lacks toys but for me, the movie clips and gameplay is superb and I think the lights on SW are more intense (maybe over the top) but I love big light shows.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I’d prefer at pro price, to me the game was fine. But heck not as good as Maiden so if there was a choice my money is going to Maiden or SW (in fact is going to SW). Sure SW is barren and lacks toys but for me, the movie clips and gameplay is superb and I think the lights on SW are more intense (maybe over the top) but I love big light shows.

So, in other words, No.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well here in NYC all new titles are on location. So clearly the location owners / route ops are totally having it!
And for good reason. They bring in earning much higher than the old stuff. At least that's what they tell me.

all these guys drive new bentleys so they are making some mad money!

1 week later
#196 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

My JP came in a couple weeks ago and the playfield is beautiful. At my local pinball spot here, the new Sterns have had noticeable issues. That was the first thing I looked for as soon as I opened the box. Been looking over every inch of the game constantly and great news is that its still looking great. Not saying all are going to be great, but mine is and I would hope potential buyers dont use this as an excuse. Buy one and believe that they have fixed whatever they were doing wrong, living in fear is no way to live.

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

I recently played SS at a neighbor's house for the first time and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd be in on this new Elvira game. After watching game play on YouTube, I'm not so sure anymore. I'll definitely wait and play the game before making a final decision. There's a lot to like, but it just seems to be missing the vibe I was expecting after playing SS. And what the heck is up with the bright pool floats popping up everywhere and conflicting with the overall visual tone of the game?

I totally agree... Those fruit loop floats look so out of place on a spooky, haunting game. Especially when they are covering up the mediocre movie clips.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from Tizz007:

I totally agree... Those fruit loop floats look so out of place on a spooky, haunting game. Especially when they are covering up the mediocre movie clips.

Those were taken out of the code over a month ago.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Those were taken out of the code over a month ago.

Haters going to hate, regardless of the facts.

#200 1 year ago

Probably not. I would most likely own a Scared Stiff prior to owning this. The Barcade is a good place to visit this machine in the meanwhile

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 104.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 202 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside