(Topic ID: 64245)

Are you a Boomer, Gen Y or Gen X? What generation drives the hobby?

By RTR

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 308 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your generation?”

• The Silent Generation 1927-1945 1 vote
    • Baby Boomer 1946-1964 75 votes
      15%
    • Generation X 1965-1980 302 votes
      62%
    • Millennial/Gen Y 1981-2000 104 votes
      21%
    • Gen Z 2001 and after 2 votes
    • GI Generation 1901-1926 1 vote

(485 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thCA206SFO.jpg
    thCA981JGG.jpg
    41119-transformers.jpg
    Gaf.JPG
    Eas.JPG
    Big_Mac_CLimber.jpg
    water_rockets_650x300_a01_1.jpg
    stationwagon.jpg
    vintage_mego_corp_micronauts_acroyear_.jpg
    im1966c.jpg
    hulk1966.jpg
    2002trek5200.jpg
    db_ad.jpg
    Psb.JPG
    huffy.jpg
    Tv.JPG
    There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 10 years ago

Makes Stern pin license choices a little more clear for sure. Most of the titles are solidly within the interests of the Gen X demographic.

#302 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I guess pinball could be around and relevent for a long time. Nice.

well, that's the thing. We are a large group, and others in the same age group could come to pinball over the next few decades as they have income, space, etc.

Until we all start dying, pinball will be around. I won't expect my kids to carry it on though.

#303 10 years ago

What do you call someone born in the 80's who doesn't identify with the millennial generation in any way shape or form. It just seems like there's this huge divide between everyone I know in gen Y born before the late 80's and those born in the early 90's.

I blame the internet. People around my age used the internet from its breakout in 1993, but people born in the 90's have always had it be ever-present. That has to count for something.

Quoted from frolic:

well, that's the thing. We are a large group, and others in the same age group could come to pinball over the next few decades as they have income, space, etc.
    Until we all start dying, pinball will be around. I won't expect my kids to carry it on though.

Here's the thing. And this is just my observation. Gen Y'ers in a broad sense don't really have the income nor the space for pinball. People in my age group largely have five figures of student debt and low-paying or no jobs due to the 2008 crash (which hasn't recovered much with respect to new college grads). This makes it very hard for them to save money. Heck, most aren't even thinking about marriage until their 30's (if ever). Because mortgages aren't passed out like candy anymore, my peers laugh at the idea of ever affording (or being approved for) a mortgage. Not until their debt is paid off at least. In the mean time they live in apartments which are quite lacking in space for pinball.

Now contrast this with me. My wife and I have stable and secure jobs, decent income, a nice home on a fixed-rate mortgage and low interest, and no other debt. American dream, apple pie, yadda yadda yadda. I bought a pin this year because I always was enchanted by pinball when I was young. I'm the kind of person that one would expect to come to the hobby. Disposable income + space. Yet I am an extreme outlier for my generation. Personally, I think Gen Y is kind of a lost cause for home ownership. I think it's the children of Gen X that will pick up on that.

Now for something a bit more positive. Remember that pinball was born out of the great depression as people were looking for cheap entertainment. I personally think pinball is ripe for Gen Y in a coin-op scenario. Retro stuff is trendy right now and they guzzle cheap entertainment like a camel in the Sahara. I just think the biggest obstacle is onerously out-of-date local and state coin-op laws.

#304 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoJoBear:

I just think the biggest obstacle is onerously out-of-date local and state coin-op laws.

Or lazy operators not fixing their pins.

#305 10 years ago

I'm 54, a boomer. Started playing pinball seriously in college on a 1978 Bally Playboy and Night Rider. Also Strikes and Spares.

If Bally had made a Wonder Woman pin with Linda Carter on the back glass, I would have bought one new no matter what it took ...

#306 10 years ago
    Quoted from ronlisa:

LOL. That's the truth!
    I'm 49.

Fantastic game room Ron!

#307 10 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Wonder Woman pin with Linda Carter on the back glass,

Or inside one.

#308 10 years ago

What ever happened to Eddie?

There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-you-a-boomer-gen-y-or-gen-x-what-generation-drives-the-hobby/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.