(Topic ID: 204888)

Are WPC Fliptronics 1 and Fliptronics 2 interchangeable?

By EvanDickson

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 1 year ago

I noticed that TAF is the only game with Fliptronics 1. I also noticed that TAFG has Fliptronics 2, but I didn't think there was a difference between the two besides custom ROM and gold highlights on the machine.

#2 1 year ago

Williams originals are not interchangeable.

Some of the reproduced fliptronics boards can be used in either if so marketed as such.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Ok thks Lloyd. Seems like an odd choice for them to obsolete a cpu board after only 1 title. I wonder what was up with that.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I wonder what was up with that.

Driver board changes ?

#5 1 year ago

Fliptronics 1 required a second daughter board and wiring. It's kind of a mess, and Fliptronics 2 is much cleaner, requiring only the one board.

#6 1 year ago

I have seen people mention that they converted TAF to fliptronics 2 but no one ever ponies up the info. Until they do I assume they are all just lying.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I have seen people mention that they converted TAF to fliptronics 2 but no one ever ponies up the info. Until they do I assume they are all just lying.

It’s easy, just buy one of the rottendog replacement boards .. lol

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s easy, just buy one of the rottendog replacement boards .. lol

No I have seen people say they use official WMS Fliptronics 2 boards in TAF.

#9 1 year ago

One post I've read mentioned that to replace a fliptronics 1 board with a fliptronics 2 board, you may need to replace the flipper leaf switches with opto boards.

TAFG does use opto boards for the flippers along with a fliptronics 2 board, so it does lend some credence to the theory.

I have not seen any details on what wiring changes that might need to be made. You would need to run additional wiring for the opto board electronics, at least.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

fliptronics 2 board, you may need to replace the flipper leaf switches with opto boards.

Except games pop up all the time with leaf blade flipper switches. You just have to wire them right. And I believe some Getaways came that way.

#11 1 year ago

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_wpc_intro.html Scroll down a little.

Fliptronics 1 relied on the relay on the driver board. Fliptronics 2 had it's own bridge rectifier.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Except games pop up all the time with leaf blade flipper switches. You just have to wire them right. And I believe some Getaways came that way.
http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_wpc_intro.html Scroll down a little.
Fliptronics 1 relied on the relay on the driver board. Fliptronics 2 had it's own bridge rectifier.

Yeah - Fliptronics 1 relied on power to the flippers being controlled from the power driver board - hence the relay on the PDBs. Fliptronics 2 had their own control on the fliptronics board.

PDBs with the relay will work in games that don't need it - you'll get a 'click' when flippers activate or deactivate, but the relay won't otherwise power anything. However, if you plug a power driver board that does NOT have a relay into a game that requires it, you'll never get flippers actuated.

So a Fliptronics 2 board will work in a Fliptronics 1 game, there's just a couple plugs that won't be used.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside