• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CORVETTE 002.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Interesting to me. Watching the pulse of the Williams System 11 market, my eyes have been opened to the increase in pricing of certain Sys11 based pins, noticeably Whirlwind, EATPM and SOF have commanded premiums on prices in general. It seems Taxi is joining this group. Is it just me or is Taxi on the rise, joining this group as "the premium System 11 titles that are gaining in desirability and price"? I already have a decent Taxi, and it's not going anywhere according to the Mrs., just curious to the popular opinion, I just keep seeing some really up there asking prices for non-full restos compared to recent years.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/games-for-sale-neenah-wi-de-star-trek-taxi-old-sterns-flash-solar-city

#2 9 years ago

I don't think so....people want as much as they can get...list it high and negotiate it from there. That being said, Taxi is a sweet game!

#3 9 years ago

You think $1900 is skyrocketing? Game hasn't sold, either.

#4 9 years ago

In general, from what I have seen in the California market, Taxi is harder to get, sells fast, and does seem to be commanding higher prices then a year ago. Skyrocketing is a relative term, but it does seem they are climbing in price faster then other System 11 pins from the same era, but it could be because I am on the hunt for one, lol.

#5 9 years ago

Taxi finally has a full complement of replacement parts including the spinout ramp. Lots of people selling have raised prices realizing that people who love a restore/project have been picking these games up.

There were a lot of Taxis made and they wore hard. If you are willing to wait for a beater game, you can get one cheap. If condition is everything to you, there should be a lot of restored games on the market in the next few years.

#6 9 years ago

It may have jumped up a hundred bucks on average, but definitely isn't skyrocketing. I agree with the assessment that the availability of the spinout ramp is helping beat games move faster.

There's not much room for upward movement without it becoming more expensive than Diner or Fish Tales, both of which I would argue are better Mark Ritchie games. With that in mind, I don't really see it going any higher.

#7 9 years ago

Dont think they are sky rocketing, wish they were! Have one sitting in market for $2900 with installed CPR PF, BG, ramps including spinout and on and on.

#8 9 years ago

I agree with collin. They don't sell at that price, just sit on the market or cl, forever and you can get a diner or ft at that price which most would rather have.

#9 9 years ago

Asking prices.are skyrocketing, but they arent selling at those prices for the most part.

#10 9 years ago

I was having this same conversation with someone earlier. It seems like prices on Taxi are on the rise. This led into another conversation about how the market determines pricing and the possibility of being able to manipulate the market. If enough people see a pin priced at a certain amount, does that amount become the new price?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

If enough people see a pin priced at a certain amount, does that amount become the new price?

the latest price is the new price, even if it's batshit crazy.

#12 9 years ago

Yes, all because of this guy!
CORVETTE 002.jpgCORVETTE 002.jpg

Sorry I just love using these pics

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Taxi finally has a full complement of replacement parts including the spinout ramp. Lots of people selling have raised prices realizing that people who love a restore/project have been picking these games up.

^ this

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

the latest price is the new price, even if it's batshit crazy.

That's the crazy part. There isn't a way to determine if someone actually sold a machine for what they said they did.

Someone could theoretically go and create a few alts, post pictures of the same pinball machine in different ads and price them well above the "normal" asking price. Then go and post FS threads, and a few days later change the thread title to SOLD. Nobody knows if they really sold the pin or not.

This happens enough times, and people begin to believe that is the new price. Then they could post their pin and sell it at the increased price.

This probably hasn't happened, but it seems feasible with the way the pinball market has been.

#15 9 years ago

The seller knows the starting price is high. Problem is with today's Craigslist mentality it's hard to list something without padding it because people will always offer less no matter where you start. Even a thread on here about a guy who won't buy if you list your real selling price and say it's firm. He seems to be offended by that. If you really want the Taxi in that thread contact the seller. He is a reasonable guy and will treat you well. I have played that game and it is in pretty nice condition. The reality price on it is probably between $1600 and $1700 if he wants to move it. I sold a lesser condition one at MGC for $1540.

#16 9 years ago

It's just a good game that has been gradually rising in price . To me, "skyrocketing" is a little strong of a word.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

To me, "skyrocketing" is a little strong of a word.

But it got the attention didn't it

Just two years ago the "high" end pricing on Taxi was right around $1200 - $1500. Now I've heard of several at very near (even slightly above) $2K that have actually sold.

A skyrocket over 2 years?

Quoted from dozer1:

It's just a good game that has been gradually rising in price .

Certainly

#18 9 years ago

Just saw a restored Taxi for $3200. Seems insane to me.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

only because it is. putting 2000 into a game does not make a game worth 2000 more.

#20 9 years ago

I wouldn't be all too shocked if people were using replacement playfields, inserts and then trying to market their Lola machine as one of the MM models.
It's shocking how often taxi ads have the 'rare marylin' in the ad.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

but it could be because I am on the hunt for one, lol.

lol, isn't that always the case.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

For a lot of folks it seems insane, but for a niche collector group there are the high end restos. Sure prices can be "insane", but I like to keep those in a separate category by themselves. The above average to average Taxis seem to be on the rise.

#23 9 years ago

Seems to me like an average condition Taxi has jumped from about $1100 to $1500 lately, and it wasn't that long ago when they were $800 all day long.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

and it wasn't that long ago when they were $800 all day long.

I've heard that said not to long ago about AFM. I believe I was told years back that they were 1500 all day long and you couldn't give them away. Well look today . For most people dropping 5-8K on a next purchase is not easy. So as the big dollar games top out and start to decline the same cannot be said for the 1-2K games. System 11 games are becoming much more desirable due to fun factor vs cost. That said I believe you will continue to see them creep up and dry up.IMHO

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

It's mostly this coupled with the fact that what you're likely to see now are fully restored machines hitting the market which is going to bring the average up significantly. 3K in Cali is not by any means unreasonable for a taxi that's been fully restored

pf, plastics, decals, ramps (+spinout), board work, general cabinet parts, paint, time effort...

These machines are almost always in completely lousy condition when you find one due to lack of parts, hence the low price in the past.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 109.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-williams-taxi-prices-skyrocketing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.