(Topic ID: 307680)

Are William System 9 & 11 Machines the "Best Value" in pinball now?

By too-many-pins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rotordave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

67C4E3E4-7D54-4EF2-A632-5B438FDC89C8.gif
    #1 2 years ago

I have not followed the recent trends in pinball prices much lately but I listed a Space Shuttle for sale this week and it got me thinking. It seems like some of the Williams System 9 & 11 machines and a few Data East machines are the "best value" in pinball these days.

You see EM's with asking prices 3 to 6 times higher then they were 3 or 4 years ago, you see newer Stern machines selling for more money used than people paid for them new. You see the Classic Bally & Stern machines selling for crazy prices these days. Yet most Data East & Williams System 11's have not followed that trend. I know there are exceptions to this but right now it seems like the best values in the pinball market are select Williams & Data East machines. Am I missing something?

In my eyes some of the Williams System 9 & 11 machines and some of the Data East machines are the best playing machines ever made. Why have these machines not gone up in value like JJP, new Sterns, and Classic Bally machines (or even EM machines for that matter)?

Laser War is a great example of what I am talking about. What a fun game with such a great light show and yet you can still buy one fairly cheap compared to other titles. Space Shuttle and Comet are a couple others - most listed under $2500 and they still don't seem to sell quickly. Yet people are getting north of $1000 for fairly common EM machines?

#2 2 years ago

System 11s have always been the best deals in pinball. At least for my skill set.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from OCD_pinball:

System 11s have always been the best deals in pinball. At least for my skill set.

I am just amazed most have not skyrocketed in price with the way prices are going on everything else. There are very few Williams System 11 machines or Data East machines that are not a heck of a lot more fun than pretty much any Classic Bally or Stern but yet you can buy a lot of them for half of what a Classic Bally or Stern is bringing these days.

What is crazier yet to me is Classic Sterns are basically SS versions of Chicago Coin EM machines (even using a lot of Chicago Coin parts in some of them) and Chicago Coin was always pretty much looked at as one of the worst built EM machines that no one wanted? Don't get me wrong I love the art on some of those old classics but paying twice or more the price of a Williams System 11 or Data East for them just doesn't make any sense to me.

Are these great old Williams & Data East machines going to be the next thing headed down the "insane price increase" path?

#4 2 years ago

I think it depends on the title. Pinbot was a game in the teens 4-5 years ago. Hell, I went all out on one 3 years back and it took a few weeks to sell at 2400? In hindsight I should have waited 2 years. Now an average one is a 3k game all day. Same with High Speed, Taxi, a lot of the classics are selling for good money.

#5 2 years ago

> Are William System 9 & 11 Machines the "Best Value" in pinball now?

They used to be a few years ago when they were all $800-$1200 each.

That’s when I bought all 30 of them!

rd

#6 2 years ago

Shhhhhh............
    I want to eventually pick up an Earthshaker to replace the one I sold a couple years ago. I don't want folks to catch on and drive prices up.

#7 2 years ago

Gottlieb system 80a and 80b are imo.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Gottlieb system 80a and 80b are imo.

I know they’re your jam at the moment … but you gotta admit, they’re such POS.

I’m just reviving a TX Sector. It’s a fun game (albeit the “hit the spinner” all day angle) but it’s such a piece of crap.

Boards are crap.

Connectors are crap.

Cabinet is super crap.

Hey - they are what they are, there are some good games there. A lot do tend to be “do the one thing a lot” though, you gotta admit.

rd

#9 2 years ago

How many have you played? There’s multiple ways to play diamond lady, Monte Carlo, Excalibur, genesis. The music is unmatched (a big deal for me) and the typical scoring moves they pull are more interesting to me than system 11 games. Especially their use of the knocker for awards. So so good. Made me realize I’m 100% a gameplay over looks person.

Agree on the cabinets.

Their games are rock solid once the boards are rebuilt and properly grounded. Just like any other game.

But the question was best value not best games. Even though I think some of the offerings from gottlieb are just as good as Williams.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:How many have you played?

Most of them …

Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s multiple ways to play

Yes. Same as System 11. Most SYS11 titles have 3 scoring strats you can use. A lot of people don’t know what they are because they just do “the thing”.

And like any game, if someone can pull off “the thing” then you’re probably gonna have to do it too.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

more interesting to me than system 11 games

Cool. Spread the love of SYS80 games.

But no need to dig at SYS11 … it’s not a “us vs them” situation. We are all in this together.

As my friend says, “Promote what you rate. Not what you hate”

rd

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How many have you played? There’s multiple ways to play diamond lady, Monte Carlo, Excalibur, genesis. The music is unmatched (a big deal for me) and the typical scoring moves they pull are more interesting to me than system 11 games. Especially their use of the knocker for awards. So so good. Made me realize I’m 100% a gameplay over looks person.
    Agree on the cabinets.
    Their games are rock solid once the boards are rebuilt and properly grounded. Just like any other game.
    But the question was best value not best games. Even though I think some of the offerings from gottlieb are just as good as Williams.

I do agree with you as far as some of the Gottlieb 80 machines but I could only put so many words in the Title. I just find it amazing what some of the EM's & Classic Bally and Sterns are selling for.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Most of them …

Yes. Same as System 11. Most SYS11 titles have 3 scoring strats you can use. A lot of people don’t know what they are because they just do “the thing”.
    And like any game, if someone can pull off “the thing” then you’re probably gonna have to do it too.

Cool. Spread the love of SYS80 games.
    But no need to dig at SYS11 … it’s not a “us vs them” situation. We are all in this together.
    As my friend says, “Promote what you rate. Not what you hate”
    rd

I didn’t dig at sys 11 at all here. Just said gottliebs are becoming the better value because literally everything else has shot through the roof.

Then you said gottliebs were POS.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I do agree with you as far as some of the Gottlieb 80 machines but I could only put so many words in the Title. I just find it amazing what some of the EM's & Classic Bally and Sterns are selling for.

For sure. Crazy times. Just glad I was able to fill my game room before prices shot up so I can at least trade for new games without it hitting the pocket book too much.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then you said gottliebs were POS.

Haha guilty.

We can both be nicer going forward.

rd

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree on the cabinets.

Man I wish those games didn't command big prices right now. Would love to grab a Genesis for less than 2k but right now it's tough to find. I'd argue some of the best Gottlieb System 1 games are where you should go if you want addicting fun games that won't break the bank. Picked up a Countdown a few months back and I'm addicted. It's a game you can't just play 3 games on and walk away.

#16 2 years ago

Shhh! These titles are hard enough to find already. The things I would do for a nice Torpedo Alley and a nice Radical. Skate or die!

#17 2 years ago

No no new is better!
    These don’t have the Insider Connected!! ..

67C4E3E4-7D54-4EF2-A632-5B438FDC89C8.gif67C4E3E4-7D54-4EF2-A632-5B438FDC89C8.gif

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

No no new is better!
    [quoted image]

....and that's a good thing, who wants to be involved in insider trading!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

No no new is better!
    [quoted image]

Lol. Yep. Nobody wants broken down, pre internet, pre ball save, pre dmd, old man pins. Strictly for old broke dudes.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

nice Radical. Skate or die!

Radical jumped the price shark years ago.

It’s now a crazy price for what it is.

Having only 1300 made doesn’t help either …

rd

#21 2 years ago

Relax prices will fall , they always do , strange times indeed. I just do not know when lol. Waiting for the housing mkt to correct .

#22 2 years ago

What I do not understand is that nobody is working so who is buying the games? Also while there are a lot of jobs and they are paying more than before , I still see postings for 16 to 17 and hour. With gas, rents sky high , I doubt those workers are laying out 5, to 10 k for a pinball game .

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Yep. A few years ago I said no way i'm paying $3k for a Radical because I remembered a few years prior you couldn't get $1200 for one. I also remember saying no way I'm paying $3k for a White Water.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from cgdexpx:

Relax prices will fall , they always do , strange times indeed. I just do not know when lol. Waiting for the housing mkt to correct .

I'm going to say, if you think this is true and are waiting to buy a game, you are going to have a bad day. Prices aren't going to fall. There are more people than ever trying to get into the hobby. There are a pretty limited number of games out there as well. This is what is causing prices to increase to crazy levels. Prices on certain pins may fall (aka, if they get re-produced a la MMr, CCr, AFMr, etc), but overall, prices aren't going to fall.

#25 2 years ago

Pretty much all working common System 11 games are above $3k USD now, except Jokerz!, Comet, Big Guns, and Millionaire. Police Force has creeped up to $3k and low $3k mark, same for High Speed, and I have seen Cyclone listed for low $3k. Space Shuttle and Space Station flirt with $3k, if it's a good player's condition. Jokerz! is probably the best System 11 value right now in terms of price and Pinside ranking.

I guess relatively speaking to the $5k and up premium titles, System 11 is still a good value.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Pretty much all working common System 11 games are above $3k USD now, except Jokerz!, Comet, Big Guns, and Millionaire. Police Force has creeped up to $3k and low $3k mark, same for High Speed, and I have seen Cyclone listed for low $3k. Space Shuttle and Space Station flirt with $3k, if it's a good player's condition. Jokerz! is probably the best System 11 value right now in terms of price and Pinside ranking.
    I guess relatively speaking to the $5k and up premium titles, System 11 is still a good value.

What is making me crazy is I currently have my Space Shuttle - full LED's, hardtop, NVRAM, nice looking cabinet with a perfect backglass and all good electronics listed for $2750 here on Pinside and have not gotten one email about it? I know a machine with a hardtop isn't worth as much as one with a nice original playfield but I have seen them not working with blown out playfields for close to $2000. Bad timing on my part I guess? I have a solid reputation as a good local seller and feedbacks to back that reputation so it isn't me doing something wrong. Time will tell but I would really love to see someone enjoying this machine instead of it just sitting in our garage.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

While it doesn't mean the price makes sense (I've lost track of all pinball pricing at this point ), I'd rather have a Radical than most modern, higher priced games.

With standard size flippers installed on the bottom, Radical is one of my favorite pins, and the best system 11 IMO.

It reminds me of 720* and the Skate or Die series on the NES, so it has a nostalgic sense to it for me (I'm perhaps in the minority there).

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

Jokerz! is probably the best System 11 value right now in terms of price and Pinside ranking.

It's one of the longest lived in my collection so far. Once I got new ramps, it was a rocking game. I'm about to rebuild the flippers WPC style, and it should be even better.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It's one of the longest lived in my collection so far. Once I got new ramps, it was a rocking game. I'm about to rebuild the flippers WPC style, and it should be even better.

Funny we had a Jokerz in our collection a few years ago and we couldn't wait to get rid of it. I don't remember exactly why but there was just something about it no one here warmed up to. I remember I was kind of sad to see it go not because of the gameplay but ours was in exceptionally nice overall condition and I liked that about it.

Machines are kind of like food - thankfully everyone likes something different! Another machine that just didn't do it for us was Fire. We all tried our best to like that because it is so different but without pop bumpers it just didn't get it done for us?

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Out of all the games I’ve had, I wish I could get my Jokerz back! The flippers were strong and the ramp shots were smooth. Super fun despite the shallow rules, with short ball times that made the good ones so satisfying. Most of the examples I’ve played in the wild had weak flippers, totally changing the speed of the game.

#31 2 years ago

You see the Classic Bally & Stern machines selling for crazy prices these days. Yet most Data East & Williams System 11's have not followed that trend.

I think rarity plays a factor in pricing some of those early SS Ballys and Sterns. Some certainly didn't survive from their time on route back then.

Why have these machines not gone up in value like JJP, new Sterns, and Classic Bally machines (or even EM machines for that matter)?

I think it just depends on the game but there are certainly some games from every era that have seen significant sold prices, including the ones you believe are excluded.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from shimmydisc:Out of all the games I’ve had, I wish I could get my Jokerz back! The flippers were strong and the ramp shots were smooth. Super fun despite the shallow rules, with short ball times that made the good ones so satisfying. Most of the examples I’ve played in the wild had weak flippers, totally changing the speed of the game.

Jokerz and Pool Sharks are the two most underrated SYS11 titles IMO.

Buy them cheap while you still can.

PS - there are tournament roms for Pool Sharks - fixed 9 ball game, 1m jackpot each ball, no random extra ball at the Mystery, etc etc.

Jokers is just an ass kicker. Very good tournament game if set up tough. In the grand final of the World SYS11 Champs, from memory the score was 875k vs 950k. Just kicked everyone’s ass.

rd

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-william-system-9-amp-11-machines-the-best-value-in-pinball-now?hl=sawbill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.