New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 239472)

Are we in the golden age of pinball right now?

By Luckydogg420

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by eagle18
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOL T (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

There’s mention of the 90’s being the golden age of pinball, right before the collapse. There were many great games from that time period that people love still today.

But, I just think we’re currently in a pretty awesome time for pinball. (Besides the price increases). Currently we have new games being built by a handful of companies that are pretty great. There’s remakes coming out of the classic games that people alread love, and there’s enough homebrew support to make your own game if there’s nothing coming to market that you like.

Pinball is increasingly common place in top budget movies and tv and this just adds to the notoriety and hype around the hobby, pushing it more into the mainstream.

What do you think? could this resurgence in pinball be enough to bring it back into pop culture mainstream for years to come?

#14 1 year ago

I wasn’t alive for the 70’s golden era and I was just getting into playing pinball in the 90’s.

But the modern pinball era is different because of the Internet. Now we have small companies making mods for new games as well as parts for old games. We have many options to build homebrew games from scratch. Retheming a game is now easier then ever with photoshop and 3d printers. I just think that pinball has a lot going for it, that it didn’t have in the past.

Or maybe I’m just to young to know what the good times were like.

1 week later
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mcshaney:

If this makes any sense it's a golden age for collectors and hobbyists ,the golden age of pinball was when it was more mainstream like other people said mid 70's to the early 80's.

So, maybe this is kinda my point. I don’t meant to single you out with quoting your post. Just wondering.

Pinball is nowhere near as mainstream as it has been in the past. But, is the pinnacle of success measured in popularity? The current “golden age” may just be for collectors and hobbyists, but is that a bad thing? In my humble opinion pinball is way more diverse then it has been at any time in the past, could this be a measure greatness?

Pinball has been popular before, but pinball has never seen the internet and modern computers. With everything from pinball apps on phones and tablets making new games, to full sized virtual pinball machines making new games, to custom Proc hardware making new games, to multiple new companies building new games, the vibrancy of pinball is at quite a unique time period.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’m uneducated because of my age, but in the past, even when pinball was everywhere, was there much more going on with the community other then going out on location to play games? Was there even much of a “pinball community” in the 70’s? How about the 40’s?

If your new to pinball in 2019. If you’ve never seen one before and instantly fall in love at first sight. Then, with the modern resurgence in pinball you can do so much more to enjoy every aspect of the hobby then you could in the 80’s. some things that were never even associated with pinball in the past like molding games for example, I can’t imagine that there was much of that decades ago.

The breadth of the pinball world is unlike anything it has lived through before and pinside has been a great tool to bring us all together into one place.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'll even argue it's not a golden age for collectors since prices have never been higher. It's effectively killed it as a hobby for everyone but the most wealthy.

I’ll agree with that statement

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 16.50
    $ 29.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.40
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 33.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 6,295.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 239.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 334.95
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 65.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckydogg420.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside