(Topic ID: 264797)

are we gonna see a rush to sell machines coz of the current fiasco?

By pinostalgia

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by NC_Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“are we gonna see a rush to sell machines coz of the current fiasco?”

• yes,for sure 50 votes
      36%
    • maybe,not sure 42 votes
      31%
    • no way 45 votes
      33%

(Multiple choice - 137 votes)

#1 4 years ago

i have not seen any early signs of this, but i have a feeling that if it hapens, it's going to be like an avalanche...

#2 4 years ago

We are certainly seeing a rush of threads with this same question.

#3 4 years ago

Are you living under a rock??? Why do people keep asking when the market thread is exploding.

#4 4 years ago

Just what we needed another one of these threads.

#5 4 years ago

coinop warehouse 3400 ironman on facebook

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

coinop warehouse 3400 ironman on facebook

Yup stock unmodded heavily routed. Seems a fair price.

#7 4 years ago

Boomers cashing in Dude, we are going to get top 100 for pennies on the dollar! This is it, snooze, you lose. Soon theres going to be so many
    pinball machines they'll have to make two piles! They could be emptying out the Barcades and basements as we speak, there ain't no telling whats in there Marv.

#8 4 years ago

Keeping my game. Might have to walk away from deposits on the two more scheduled to come in this year though.

#9 4 years ago

what is a 'coz'?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

what is a 'coz'?

@coz

#11 4 years ago

60's muscle cars, Real Estate and vintage guitars dropping off the scale too, these cash-strapped owners will be rushing to the exits to unload. Yeah, these are great times to snap up everything you ever wanted, everything but diamonds, and gold that is.
    My van is gassed up, have a pocket full of cash and ready to ride!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

60's muscle cars, Real Estate and vintage guitars dropping off the scale too, these cash-strapped owners will be rushing to the exits to unload. Yeah, these are great times to snap up everything you ever wanted, everything but diamonds, and gold that is.
    My van is gassed up, have a pocket full of cash and ready to ride!

Please tell me your van has shag carpeting!

#13 4 years ago

I saw a really nice mint whitewater with a colordmd posted at $4500. Not a bad price. I also saw a decent one for $3600 but it sold really fast.

People haven't felt the full effects yet. I think the longer the quarantine the more sell off. People have to work and currently a large part of the population isn't.

#14 4 years ago

I am stuck with my kids in our house right now, I would sell my car before I sell my pinballs !

#15 4 years ago

“coz” or “cuz”. Which is correct? I’ve always used “cuz”. Could be a strong, useless thread.

#16 4 years ago

I know a lot of people seem excited to see a bunch of pins hit the market at lower prices but to me this seems to signal a lot of very bad things for the hobby in general.

It kind of reminds me of my early days ('04-'08') when I was just getting started in the hobby. Sure prices were cheap but there wasn't the abundance of new games or competitive pinball like there is today. I could see all but a couple of these companies folding, and the one's that stick around may have to cost control even more to make ends meet. If this virus stays around pinball leagues and tournaments could very well die off. Pinball would mostly just be a game that you play on the privacy of your home but it could be lacking the social aspect of it. What fun is a basement full of games if you can't play dollar games on them with friends. I collected in the days of $1500 Whitewater's and $2500 TZ's and I can honestly tell you that I prefer pinball how it is today, even with the higher prices

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinostalgia:

i have not seen any early signs of this, but i have a feeling that if it hapens, it's going to be like an avalanche...

How many games are you going to sell?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I know a lot of people seem excited to see a bunch of pins hit the market at lower prices but to me this seems to signal a lot of very bad things for the hobby in general.
    It kind of reminds me of my early days ('04-'08') when I was just getting started in the hobby. Sure prices were cheap but there wasn't the abundance of new games or competitive pinball like there is today. I could see all but a couple of these companies folding, and the one's that stick around may have to cost control even more to make ends meet. If this virus stays around pinball leagues and tournaments could very well die off. Pinball would mostly just be a game that you play on the privacy of your home but it could be lacking the social aspect of it. What fun is a basement full of games if you can't play dollar games on them with friends. I collected in the days of $1500 Whitewater's and $2500 TZ's and I can honestly tell you that I prefer pinball how it is today, even with the higher prices

Im looking for a $2500 TZ !

Let me know...

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

How many games are you going to sell?

none,but will buy if i see a project 80b

#20 4 years ago

Please rush to sell them to me cheaply please.

Im your friend !

#21 4 years ago

Canada goes under quarantine tomorrow at midnight. Me and my wife may have some at home work for a few weeks until it trails off. I suspect many are in that boat. The games go before I'd lose my house but I really hope that doesn't happen. If I have to sell I am sure I will never get back into the hobby.
    I sold a bunch of my games recently to fund a MMr. Man I wish I kept that in my savings instead...

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinfarmer:

Canada goes under quarantine tomorrow at midnight.

Where exactly do you get your info from? Post the proof, I call bullshit.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinostalgia:

none,but will buy if i see a project 80b

Same as us, we are not selling any either.

#24 4 years ago

i sold one of my pins and bought up some guns

#25 4 years ago

Bought my first one last week so there's some new people entering the hobby

#26 4 years ago

I’m not selling or buying anything till this blows over and then maybe.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Makarov:

Bought my first one last week so there's some new people entering the hobby

a mak or a pin?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Same as us, we are not selling any either.

you can't sell what you don't have

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinostalgia:

We are only essentially one week into the "serious" side of things. 2-3 weeks or so, and you can bet it will happen.

Those that have lost jobs, had their hours cut, have expensive medical bills, or possibly even have to bury a loved one may have to come up with the money...and selling expensive, non-essential luxury items will be the best way to do it.

I don't wish this on anyone, but it is the way of things. Some will feast...some will famine.

#30 4 years ago

hopefully everything goes back to normal.

#33 4 years ago

How you supposed to sell games when everyone has to shelter in place? No, no games will get sold because were all locked inside. Ill just sit in my basement with my games and toilet paper.

#34 4 years ago

I am surprised how many games are selling at the prices they are. Either people have a lotta coins, or they think this will blow over quickly. But super happy to see the buying/selling activity continuing so far!

#35 4 years ago

The average pinball collector does not live paycheck to paycheck. I would not. sell anything I play because playing is the best way to get thru this.Yeah a Stern LE will come down but they were already . Also there will be stimulus packages coming to help. I saw a hep Whirlwind sell for 10k on here that was crazy. Panic sellers always lose no matter what it is.

#36 4 years ago

How about we put it this way...

Will you be buying machines at slightly discounted prices or from this point on are you only looking for good deals?

Machines i would have pulled the trigger on a month ago will have to be significantly discounted for me to purchase today as i feel buying power is going up.

#37 4 years ago

I have a restored Motordome I'll liquidate for 1595!

It's a highly sought after, 'vintage' pin, better act now.

#38 4 years ago

What I've discerned from being on Pinside for the last few years and interacting with a multitude of different people is that they range from multi-millionaires to guys living paycheck to paycheck. Pinball machines aren't exactly the easiest/quickest thing to liquidate, but I imagine there may be a short-term sell off from a few in order to make ends meet. However, I still think there are enough people out there in financially stable situations that the demand should still be fairly strong. Therefore, I would project that while some deals may be there to take advantage of, I don't foresee extremely deep discounts except in very dire situations.

This time will pass, and the economy will quickly return. Therefore, I'm sure that most serious pinball hobbyists will do their best to hang onto their collections.

With that stated, if anyone is looking to move a pin in exchange for toilet paper, I have a few extra rolls I can spare.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

How you supposed to sell games when everyone has to shelter in place? No, no games will get sold because were all locked inside. Ill just sit in my basement with my games and toilet paper.

If you toss a bag of frozen vegetables and a pack of toilet paper into the cabinet it may then be considered picking up essential supplies for the buyer.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

what is a 'coz'?

Me!! I’m Coz. Totally unrelated to this thread-

I will say that the shutdown of my local brewery has definitely affected me. I had 4 pins on route bringing in weekly income for me, so now they’re just sitting while the brewery taproom is closed to the public. Will I sell? Absolutely not, but it has kept me from buying additional pins for other locations.

#41 4 years ago

I think we can all look to our old Econ 101 class for the answer. The answer is supply and demand

Demand. It would seem very likely that the demand will drop. If for no other reason than locations aren't going to run out and buy machines for their routes. although the effect would not be evenly spread.... routes may not buy Pro... but then again... HUO people may drop from a premium to a pro. Regardless, the demand should drop.

Supply. This becomes tricky. On one hand... factories are stopping so that could reduce the number of pins for sale. However, if there is a big push for people/businesses to sell, and not replace, then they could offset the loss of factory production.

Bottom line... if the market's supply of machines for sale goes up, or stays the same, prices will drop. If the supply drops (from fewer NIB being built and people holding onto machines) then you can't make a determination on pricing (When supply and demand move up or down together you can't determine the effect on price without knowing the rate of change of each... and price elasticity... so it becomes pretty complicated).

What you can assume is that it seems likely that both the demand AND supply of NIB machines will go down. So it will likely affect different models, and model types differently... I could see the Pro market tank while the premiums being stronger. However.... you really can't determine the total effect... you have to use make an educated guess.

Used machines... pretty tough to determine.... you would suspect that the demand will drop and there will be an increase in used machines entering the market. So that would cause prices to drop. However... what % of used machines enter the market in order to free up $ or space for a NIB? IF NIB sales drop then maybe people are more likely to just hold onto their machines.

Having said all of that... who knows.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-we-gonna-see-a-rush-to-sell-machines-coz-of-the-current-fiasco?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.