(Topic ID: 332717)

Are we at the point of Market Saturation?

By vdojaq

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 515 posts
  • 143 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 9.34.09 AM (resized).jpg
    IMG_6976.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    fire sale 2.gif
    Fire sale.gif
    20170903_171730 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    59350CAC-CB2C-4889-8A36-E42636F1914C (resized).png
    0E051AB2-3FEE-41FA-8C49-917644477DF2 (resized).png
    007-american-pinball-teases-game-5 (resized).jpg
    87B1931A-0009-4634-B85B-1BB1DFADDD87 (resized).jpeg
    B061F6F2-5B02-4918-8AF7-0441C1913D65 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just cut and paste it now, and add a fresh one every year.
    Gotta keep doing it, until the bubble bursts or the bubble thread bubble bursts.
    It is fun to read 20 year old threads where people are whining about $4,000 MMs and how the madness will be collapsing any day now, "just like the Juke box hobby. And also cars. Always, always always fucking cars."

Bubble is different from the question of can the industry support this many players: Homepin, Spooky, PB, CGC, P3, American, JJP, Stern, Hagis, Dutch. I think the answer is no. We will see attrition as we have before in this and the gaming industry as a whole. But I’d be a fool to try to predict when. Bubble won’t burst, price increases will just stabilize and industry will contract to the volume that can be pushed at that new price. As an operator I get one pin, that’s it, out of this round. I stand in awe of those operators who just keep adding on new pins, and keep wondering how they make the economics work. Because I sure can’t.

Even putting my business hat to the side and wearing my pinball enthusiast patron hat, I can’t see how the hell anyone affords this. And I say that knowing I make a pretty damn decent income as a surgeon. All I can say on that front is people seem to have way more disposable income than I am willing to part with.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

Ok, so you make a pretty damn decent income. How big is your house? What are you driving? How often do you go out for dinner? It's all about where your passions lie.

I’ll bite. 1) 2750 sq ft. 2) 2008 Toyota Prius. 3) 2 nites a week, mostly Panera. Most of our money gets squirreled away in retirement accounts, college accounts for the kids, or sent away in taxes.

I fully agree with you, it’s all about one’s others passions. Don’t really have any other than my arcade, but that’s self sufficient for now. I just don’t understand when the average US income is $53K how $15K purchases for non essential things like pinball are a thing. When the new Sterns were $4500 (even just a few years ago) 10% disposable income towards a hobby makes sense. But 33% ? Who can afford this ? Are we all just a mega rich country club ?

And my arcade had about $70K disposable income after last year. Again $15K pin purchases are just not something I’m gonna do a lot of without going into debt. So I limit to one.

I’m not criticizing other people’s purchases. More power to ya if you have the money and it’s what you want. I’m just questioning what the price/demand curves look like here. Just seems we are drawing from a more and more limited pool and giving them way too much product to buy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-we-at-the-point-of-market-saturation-?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.