(Topic ID: 290960)

Are we at the peak of pinball pricing

By the9gman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is this the peak of the pinball market”

• No, pinball will change with the times and go on 73 votes
      33%
    • Yes ,we are at the market peak 42 votes
      19%
    • we are not at the market peak yet 71 votes
      32%
    • somebody grant levi his wish 37 votes
      17%

(223 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210627-220434_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210627-220548_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210412_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210324_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210507_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-075928_Gallery (resized).jpg
    ST-collection (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 6.46.56 AM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cliff.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    0A82CCBA-017E-43EB-8516-A02962032D9C (resized).jpeg
    CFBAAB8B-ED33-4A8D-90AC-37F58940C7F2.jpeg
    bubbles.gif
    tenor-6 (resized).png
    140748B0-7D44-402E-958F-9E2EF2DF261D.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

However I believe we are cresting the top of the bubble... in 2000 you saw the end of the majority of arcades and the beginning of Xbox , playstation and computer games. My kids grew up playing Diablo and Warcraft and were not influenced by arcades and pinball. I really don't think a lot of teenagers from 2000 on got the pinball bug. So if the market occurs when people are old enough with disposable income .....you see my point ....not much of a market coming ....

It's a numbers game. Computer/console games are mass produced in the millions & then easily emulated/pirated if you want to play them in the future...and even then, physical retro games climb up in value to collectors. Pinball machines are only made in the hundreds, sometimes in the thousands. Addams was the one that reached 20,000 units. There just aren't that many of each game, and they are complex factory-built machines. Interest in pinball HAS been next to nothing for the past 3 decades...but there's just enough interest compared to the finite amount of units to keep prices high. ONLY THING that causes a price crash is every single person with pins dumping their collections simultaneously.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Gary Stern is retiring,and new "Woke" Titles released after his leaving will meet financial disaster.

What exactly is a “woke” title? Please cite examples of the licenses you think Stern will get post-Gary.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

That's because kids like candy. Terrible analogy as this candy we are talking about is for a demographic that will die in a few decades.

They said that decades ago. There will always be enough people to keep the finite # of pinball machines desirable. They’re just too cool & fun & in a league of their own. Jukeboxes became irrelevant because there are a million ways to play music. The original thought was that pinball was replaced by the video game, but now we see they’re entirely different things. Good games are forever, and pinball has nothing to replace it. The physical machine is the only true way to play. Someone will always want them.

#114 3 years ago

Because you can't. The "fear of the woke takeover" is just propaganda. It's not a thing. Ultimately, the market decides...and Stern knows who their market is. Nostalgia, geek pop culture movies/shows/comics, and rock & roll sells pinball machines...you won't see anything change.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Didn't Rick and Morty sell out in a few hours? How can you explain this?

You think Rick & Morty is "woke"?

Rick & Morty is geek pop culture. Perfect pinball theme.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

You must forgive me, I guess I'm trying to understand your terminology. I thought you were saying nostalgia was the main thing.

Gotcha...no, those are separate things....although Nostalgia crosses over with a lot of it. Rick & Morty might even be nostalgic, even though it's new...since it's a riff on Back to the Future and many sci-fi tropes.

Examples:
    Nostalgia - Batman 66, Munsters, Elvira, TMNT, Ghostbusters
    Pop culture movies/shows/comics - Star Trek, Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Game of Thrones, Deadpool, GOTG
    Rock & Roll - AC/DC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Sorry, I will have to see some credentials on what makes you an expert, or authority on this subject. Otherwise, just another opinion, like my opinion.
    No reason to listen to you,or me.

Don't deflect. You wrote a lengthy post about how “woke” themes will destroy the hobby when Gary retires. The onus is on you to defend that position with logical & factual backup.

Everyone can have an opinion, but even opinions must be based on facts & reality.

Nothing I said is in question. It is a fact that Stern makes games based on nostalgia, pop culture, and rock & roll music. Look at every game they’ve made for 20 years. Those are my “credentials.”

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Who made that rule? I don't follow rules from Rando internet users

You clearly follow the talking points of rando internet users.

Quoted from phil-lee:

I question it. Who are you? Why do you feel your opinion is any more worthy than anyone else? Do you always try and speak with authority to others? Where does this authority come from,besides your own mind?
    I wrote a satirical thought-provoking diatribe based on nothing for entertainment purposes. Do you feel you have to come to the defense of someone, or are you legal counsel for Stern?

That was satire?

...well, if you have to explain the joke...

I wasn’t coming to the defense of anyone. I took that post as a serious diatribe, and asked for an example to back up your premise. If it was a joke, well - that’s that then.

...and who am I?

I’m Batman.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Satire contains some truth. It wasn't a joke. Satire reflects on truth, exposes truth.
    Satire is a legal way to tell truth these days. It's come to that because so many people get triggered.

EXACTLY, humor must be based in truth to work. This has been a lesson as to why "right-wing humor" doesn't work. Try your material on Parler, you'll be a huge hit there. Your buzz-words like "woke" and "triggered" will go over great there.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Remember the monkey with its hand on a woman's butt on the Oktoberfest backglass? That was taken off because people complained.

There's a difference between a joke, with context, setup, punchline...and just a depiction of harassment. Had Oktoberbest's backglass been filled with humor & jokes all over the place, I don't think the monkey thing would have been a big deal...but since it was just horrid artwork, and that was the only thing to grab your eye...yeah, it was just cringey.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Now, Rarehero, being in the business you're in, certainly you would agree that that was a little much, no? I remember early FG episodes that had me laughing my ass off (the one early season episode where they're busting the Irish had me in stitches). But a lot of that stuff wouldn't fly today.

Comedy and culture change...constantly. What "flew" years ago doesn't always fly today...and sometimes that's OK. People grow, learn, evolve. I grew up loving Eddie Murphy's Delirious stand-up....CRIED laughing....but a lot of those jokes just don't work anymore in today's context. I might watch it again and giggle...but when my daughter grows up, if I showed her that she'd probably look at me and say "WTF is wrong with you"....and that's OK - the world changes.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

And you're right: the funniest jokes ARE based on truth. But unfortunately everything is being censored these days and as a result, comedy (and peoples' sense of humor) is dying.

Talk about censorship is a bit overblown. There are a few old shows where a few eps were pulled...and some of those, like The Golden Girls mudmask ep, was a bit of a stretch to pull...but hey, if you're a Golden Girls diehard, you've got the DVD with the episode. As for FG, it's still on. Disney owns it, for crying out loud...and the episodes are still on and uncensored. The right is crying about The Muppets being "cancelled". The Muppet show is more complete and uncensored than it's ever been. The Diz+ eps of The Muppet Show have more content than the old DVD collections. There's a content warning on some eps...but what's wrong with that? Win win. Warning for those who might be sensitive to some things...but it's there complete for anyone who wants to watch it. There is still tons of funny stuff being made, humor isn't dying. Watch "Bad Trip" on Netflix, Eric Andre is hilarious. FX has great shows - What We Do In The Shadows, Man Seeking Woman, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are great. There's so much content out there now...it's overwhelming...something for everyone. Enjoy.

I feel like someone always inevitably brings up Blazing Saddles in these conversations...so, before that happens...just know, young people LOVE Blazing Saddles. Something I got hooked on during COVID was videos of millennials watching old movies for the first time...not one has ever complained about it. They love it. Maybe this will give you some "hope" or something lol

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Don't bother. It never reached production.
    And nothing today is as funny as the early FG and SP episodes. The South Park movie was so offensive and funny I think I spotted my pants in the movie theater. People really can't laugh at themselves much these days, sadly.

SP movie is still funny. The story & humor is all about poking fun at hypocrisy. That’s timeless. The show is still on. Not censored, not cancelled, people still think it’s funny. People still like laughing.

Seriously, check out Eric Andre if you haven't yet...I think it's your type of humor...and it's new!

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

These buzz words triggered you and your silent posse just fine, thats all you have concentrated on today, they live rent free in your head.

Please look up the term "Projection".

Also as far as posses go, I'm more "insane clown" than "silent".

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Phil-Lee is a total stereotype of the old man shaking his fist at kids today. He’s particularly fond of ranting in Odins old people thread where grumpy retirees complain about how they miss all the sexism and racism of the good old days and how no one respects white people anymore.
    He’s safe to ignore.

That tracks...however, I haven't seen that thread...I'm not familiar with that individual.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-we-at-the-peak-of-pinball-pricing?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.