(Topic ID: 290960)

Are we at the peak of pinball pricing

By the9gman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is this the peak of the pinball market”

• No, pinball will change with the times and go on 73 votes
      33%
    • Yes ,we are at the market peak 42 votes
      19%
    • we are not at the market peak yet 71 votes
      32%
    • somebody grant levi his wish 37 votes
      17%

(223 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210627-220434_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210627-220548_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210412_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210324_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191230-210507_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-075928_Gallery (resized).jpg
    ST-collection (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 6.46.56 AM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cliff.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    0A82CCBA-017E-43EB-8516-A02962032D9C (resized).jpeg
    CFBAAB8B-ED33-4A8D-90AC-37F58940C7F2.jpeg
    bubbles.gif
    tenor-6 (resized).png
    140748B0-7D44-402E-958F-9E2EF2DF261D.gif
    There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

So I was pondering this question today and was curious as to what everyone else thinks ....Are we at the peak of pinball pricing ?
    The reason I ask is that back in the 30's thru early 70's bingo machines were extremely popular and made a lot of money ....the people from that era collected them, but now most of the old timers are out of the market. Very few people want these machines and they are hard to sell. I grew up in the 70's and arcades were popular ....so there was quite a few people exposed to pinball from the 70's to the 90's .....now those people 30 plus and are at that age where you have disposable cash and they are probably the reason prices have gone as high as they are today. However I believe we are cresting the top of the bubble... in 2000 you saw the end of the majority of arcades and the beginning of Xbox , playstation and computer games. My kids grew up playing Diablo and Warcraft and were not influenced by arcades and pinball. I really don't think a lot of teenagers from 2000 on got the pinball bug. So if the market occurs when people are old enough with disposable income .....you see my point ....not much of a market coming ....
    I hate to make this analogy and its terrible but true, cigarette manufacturers used to advertise to teens so they could ensure their future .....What has the pinball industry done to ensure its future ?

To me this puts us at the market peak right now.

Thoughts ?

#3 3 years ago

New week. New bubble is about to burst thread.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

somebody shoot me

8FD29AED-3C2E-485C-80A7-2A83C5074FF8.gif8FD29AED-3C2E-485C-80A7-2A83C5074FF8.gif
    #5 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

Are we at the peak of pinball pricing

lol, no.

It seems like every couple weeks, there's an ad the breaks previous pricing records.

#6 3 years ago

I hate when people leave out the cargument. It just isn’t a pinball bubble thread without a good ‘68 Chevy comparison..

#7 3 years ago

*edit - Fuck pinside mobiles glitch quote mechanic!!! Now my cargumenr post is second. FML!!!!!!

**Edit again - just read a different dumb thread with the same start and the same comments. I'm part of the problem. Reminder don't post after Levi.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

I hate when people leave out the cargument. It just isn’t a pinball bubble thread without a good ‘68 Chevy comparison..

If I could find a nice '72 stingray corvette for bargain price, it would make my day.

#9 3 years ago

It’s peeked for my personal pinball price bubble... but many people have way more money than I do.

#10 3 years ago

Another bubble thread. I can’t hold my breath long enough for the burst. It's slightly entertaining but it does seem to go on and on.

#11 3 years ago

No, I am about to sell our Beatles pin and to keep up with pinflation I plan to start it at 6400 and up it 100 dollars every week it doesn’t sell

In all seriousness, I think it will slow.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

somebody shoot me

Lol. I think people are fucking with you at this point.

#13 3 years ago

Poll needs another choice:
    "Somebody Shoot Me"

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

In all seriousness, I think it will slow

I agree and if I were a manufacturer I would be looking at ways to make machines modular so that almost anyone could fix them by changing a part so that they could be marketed to the common homeowner

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

somebody shoot me

What a surprise, you were the first commenter on this thread. SMH...

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

What a surprise, you were the first commenter on this thread.

Do you have some sort of Pinside thread bot alerting you to these threads so you can play the antagonist to the thread protagonist?

SMH...

#19 3 years ago

Are we asking this question again?

#20 3 years ago

Short answer is no, My thought is secondary games are still selling well and more and more people are getting into the hobby.New in box games will have to go up in price every year like always.I won't be surprised if JJP raises all their LE's to the 10.5 price, and the CEs will probably go up a grand on next release.Toppers are selling at 1k a pop and secondary markets are getting 1600 for them.Unless we fall into a recession then games will be worth more than we are seeing today.I would have thought by now the amount of games out their it would hit a saturation point, but basements full of pins is getting more popular.

#21 3 years ago

You re correct. However, prices will not come down. Businesses will seize to exist is the more likely outcome. Gary Stern is a bit older ,and when he quits pinball is in trouble. As much as stern is disliked by many on here, they’re towing the rope for all companies to exist. I asked a younger employee at the office what he thought about pinball, and he could care less.
    How to remedy that is to quit being so hateful ,and negative to newcomers, or watch all the parts dry up and “ the next stern pinball “ will be nothing.

#22 3 years ago

I freaking hope it has peaked because I am out at these silly prices. I will just be content with my current collection moving forward and if prices do keep climbing then I am selling ALL of mine for top dollar. I have been spending my pinball money on jet skis and home entertainment stuff not pinball related.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boblabla:

Businesses will seize to exist

Seize what to exist ?

LTG : )

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Seize what to exist ?
    LTG : )

pretty sure he meant "cease"

#25 3 years ago

Yes, cease! Thank you!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

What a surprise, you were the first commenter on this thread. SMH...

What a surprise, Alex is on my jock again...

DUde I'm sorry I included you on a list of the 987 people who have posted "bubble burst" threads this decade. If I remove you from the list will you stop stalking me?

Most people have a little more of a sense of humor about being on that list.

#27 3 years ago

• Stern has a 5000~ game backlog. And tried to raise prices on 2 games to help.

• JJP can’t keep up with GNR demand even after raising the price.

• Spooky sells out their 18 month long game run in less than 4 hours.

So tell me, how exactly are prices suppose to go down from here?

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

• Stern has a 5000~ game backlog. And tried to raise prices on 2 games to help.
    • JJP can’t keep up with GNR demand even after raising the price.
    • Spooky sells out their 18 month long game run in less than 4 hours.

great observation and all this will make the second hand and older games climb in price as well

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

I agree and if I were a manufacturer I would be looking at ways to make machines modular so that almost anyone could fix them by changing a part so that they could be marketed to the common homeowner

That’s basically what Stern did with the Spike system, just replace the whole node board when there’s an issue instead of repairing it.

#30 3 years ago

somebody wake me when Quicksilver goes back to >$2000....

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

somebody shoot me

Suggest this as a poll option

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

pretty sure he meant "cease"

Crap. I was ready to mount a horse and grab a sword.

LTG : (

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I worked in aviation all my life and when I first started in 79 there were many private pilots and the industry was growing. Now take a look at how many private pilots there are. Far less than half as many ....small airports can hardly justify their existence. The hobby if you want to call it that became cost prohibitive and drove people away simply because they could not afford it. Prices did not go down but the market is not even close to what it was. With the decrease in places to play pinball how do you generate the market, the end result is the end result.

so much for the car analogy

#34 3 years ago

~24% of all US currency was printed last year so that ship has sailed, hence the rise of property and crypto as new value stores. As far as pin prices go, the top 10% are financially doing better than ever, demand exceeds supply, chip shortages, scalpers, fomo, etc and, well, why would prices go down anytime soon?

#35 3 years ago

Prices headed up and away. I’ve seen a few “distributors” covid gauging too.
    Enjoy the ride ...for now!

140748B0-7D44-402E-958F-9E2EF2DF261D.gif140748B0-7D44-402E-958F-9E2EF2DF261D.gif

#36 3 years ago

I believe that as long as NIB prices continue to slowly increase then all prices on used games will continue to increase.
    I do not foresee in the near future a decline in NIB sales. Demand continues to outweigh supply.

#37 3 years ago

"how do you generate the market" --- Buyers of tommorow are teens playing virtual pinball on their phones and consoles today.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Crap. I was ready to mount a horse and grab a sword

LIONMAN!!!!

#39 3 years ago

Enjoy the next 10yrs of pinball. After that this “hobby” is gonna face a huge downturn in available parts and new customers.

#40 3 years ago

It depends. No one knows the future, however with the looming tax increase, higher oil prices, and no stopping the money printing machines....who knows.

#42 3 years ago

I agree and that's the reason I took my pinball money and spent it on solar panels , inverter and lipo 4 batteries this month

#43 3 years ago

I burst my mouth full of margarita all over my screen when I saw this thread. Does that count as a pinball burst?

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boblabla:

Enjoy the next 10yrs of pinball. After that this “hobby” is gonna face a huge downturn in available parts and new customers.

That's what I thought in 1999 when I sold most of my collection. Boy was I wrong.

#45 3 years ago

This thread is full of greatness!!! The fact that Levi is the first to reply is GOLDEN!!

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boblabla:

You re correct. However, prices will not come down. Businesses will seize to exist is the more likely outcome. Gary Stern is a bit older ,and when he quits pinball is in trouble. As much as stern is disliked by many on here, they’re towing the rope for all companies to exist. I asked a younger employee at the office what he thought about pinball, and he could care less.
    How to remedy that is to quit being so hateful ,and negative to newcomers, or watch all the parts dry up and “ the next stern pinball “ will be nothing.

Are you on crack? Younger people are flooding into pinball at record rates. Hell, finally all my friends are suddenly interested in checking out my arcade. I get asked often “how the hell can you afford all those games??”
    With millennials (in their 30s and 40s now) it seems many don’t care. But the latest generation, the zoomers are really getting into “retro” everything.

Also “watch parts dry up” that’s HILARIOUS. You missed that by a decade. Right now the repro business has NEVER been stronger. Jody is making ramps for games that 10 years ago would be thrown in the dumpster when the plastics broke. Marco and Pinball Life among many others are sprouting up and booming.

There was a long LONG stretch where Steve was essentially the only outfit in town you could get parts from, unless you raided a big operator and he pitied you.

#48 3 years ago

The prices will continue to rise until they reach the cost of something more entertaining and valuable, like.... Hmmm.... well... Now, you see, nothing comes to mind so, no, we have not reached the peak... yet.

#49 3 years ago
    tenor-6 (resized).pngtenor-6 (resized).png
    #50 3 years ago

Can Robin ban this topic ?

Or maybe better yet it just needs a containment thread, like covid? Then every week whenever whomever would have posted the ‘new’ topic could instead just make a post in the thread asking ‘yo, is the pin bubble bursting yet homies?’ and be done with it.

There’s probably a few other topics that fit this category as well.. innovation in pinball, anyone?

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-we-at-the-peak-of-pinball-pricing?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.