• 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DiegoWally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image002_(resized).png
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I'm wondering how effective these things are. Seems to me the only way to shake loose a game from someone's collection is to put up significantly more than market. I mean do sellers even care about want ads? They want the game gone for top dollar at that point anyway.

I have been looking for a decent Judge Dredd for almost two years now, I always miss a nice local example by a day, or an hour, or a dollar, whatever. I finally secure a deal on one and the machine gets destroyed two days before pickup in an electrical storm.

So I get pissed and try a want ad, expecting some miracle. All the ad does is generate inquiries about the destroyed game, so I delete all references (for price and condition) to the destroyed game and the response goes to nothing. So I bump it three, four, five times a day, and keep lessening the quality requirements, increasing the bounty, increasing the driving distance, so I wonder now if these things actually work.

There were two nice local machines that I lost out on last week for $2500-$2700. Now only two are left for high prices and would also require shipping, that's just too much for a Dredd. Those high priced ones have been sitting for a while now. A local retailer claims to have one and I'm considering taking a look at it. Is Dredd really a $5k game now? I had an easier and cheaper time sourcing my Scared Stiff last year.

Thanks for letting me rant...

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I'm wondering how effective these things are.

Not very from my experience. I've run several with no luck. But once I got a tip that one of the machines I was looking for was on Mr. Pinball.

The biggest joke of all is once I found one thru another source and went to cancel my pinside wanted to buy ad and pinside actually requested I pay a fee.

But keep looking. Judge Dredds pop up all the time.

#3 7 years ago

I think it depends on what you are looking for. Uncommon parts (like plastics for a rare or undesirable game) don't seem to have much luck for me so far.

#4 7 years ago

Looking for games it has been for me.

#5 7 years ago

I have also found wanted ads to be helpful. Especially if it's a rarer game.

#6 7 years ago

I found my Getaway (my third DMD pin) through a WTB on RGP; the price was fair, and it was only about 3 miles from my house!

I also found about the nicest Dracula I've ever seen at a reasonable price, but that took quite a bit of waiting, and I was offered several lesser-quality games at inflated prices before a nice one came up.

Other times, my luck hasn't been as great, but I usually haven't been looking as seriously.

As for your Dredd search, I think you're just having unusually bad luck. Nice, solid examples of Dredd are generally had under $3k. My buddy bought one near Detroit under $2500 late last year,and I got mine in the 2s locally about a year ago (from a friend.) I've seen other nice examples come up, almost always in the mid-2s. Hell, I think if you offer $2500-2700 in a wanted ad, that should shake one loose.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Hell, I think if you offer $2500-2700 in a wanted ad, that should shake one loose.

He has been, and I've been watching it. Ghost town !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-judge-dredd-bally-1993-2002

Remember a few years back, you couldn't give these away for more than $1400. I recently traded mine away for a Cyclone. But it's a sweet Cyclone.

#8 7 years ago

I have had very good success with want ads but, you have to expect to be patient. It took me over 5 years to find a few games in my collection. You've just been unlucky. Dredd is a great game and people know it. I'm not really looking to sell mine but I would ask 2400 if I was looking to sell it. I think you will stumble across one soon.

#9 7 years ago

placed a wanted MM ad a few years ago, great success. It worked then.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He has been, and I've been watching it. Ghost town !
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-judge-dredd-bally-1993-2002
Remember a few years back, you couldn't give these away for more than $1400. I recently traded mine away for a Cyclone. But it's a sweet Cyclone.

Wow, true story...

OP, if I may offer some constructive criticism, the way your ad reads makes it sound as if you're probably going to be pickier than I'd hope you would actually be on a $2500 Dredd. I've posted wanted ads without so many specifics of "X should look like Y, Z should be in Q condition" and just said "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT." I've had some mediocre examples offered up at premium prices, but I've been offered some good stuff at fair prices as well. Stick to asking for what you really need (not looking for a CQ game, within a 3 hour drive of Detroit) and you'll probably get more offers. Better to have offers that you can turn down than no offers at all.

#11 7 years ago

He will need a little more patience for sure. But the only two Dredds in the pinside market are listed for $3700 and $5000 right now, so he may be better off checking e-bay. lol.

#12 7 years ago

They worked for me. Secured a quicksilver through a wanted ad here.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mamawaldee:

I finally secure a deal on one and the machine gets destroyed two days before pickup in an electrical storm.

How does a game get destroyed this way? Struck by lightning and caught on fire?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They worked for me. Secured a quicksilver through a wanted ad here.

Hey TigerLaw, when did pinside start charging buyers fees? I thought it was only the sellers that had to pay.

#15 7 years ago

I have a Stars, so yes, WTB ads work.

#16 7 years ago

Wtb ads that worked for me in the past

Stargazer
AG USA Football
Time Fantasy
Sopranos

Each one However I paid slightly above going rate but didn't mind.

#17 7 years ago

I agree, tried to buy a few games, they get sold, or seller doesn't want to ship it, even after several conservations.
I've tried posting for a used Back box for early SS bally, nothing?
Tried to sale a part someone was looking for, never good enough, Christ, if it was in pristine condition, I would of use it myself.
Had someone desperate for a sys 11 transformer, I asked same price for what I paid for it, not good enough.
Seems even if you were giving it away, its not good enough...

#18 7 years ago

Placed a WTB add for a fishtales on CL not too long ago. Picked up a NICE one for cheaper than most within a week or two. Had 3-4 different inquiries.

#19 7 years ago

First and only time worked for me. Within a day I had five different offers, and ended up with a really nice HUO TSPP shipped to me from NC. Of course, there are exactly ONE ZILLION of them out there, so I guess your mileage will vary depending on the scarcity of what you're looking for.

#20 7 years ago

Hi,
I was a skeptic myself about "Wanted" ads. And one day a year and a half ago I was really in a buying mode (I had reduced my pins because of a house move, and was really back to wanting to get a few more machines in my collection) and was talking to a Pinside friend of mine, and he encouraged me to place a wanted ad. His general response was "what does it hurt to try" type of thing. I didn't get very many responses, and the responses were slow to come in, but ultimately I bought 3 fantastic games, at fair market prices, all resulting from that ad (and, by the way, I encourage everyone who has a positive outcome on Pinside due to a "wanted" ad or a "for sale" ad to appreciate Pinside with a little donation in thanks for their great forum to help make such things happen!). Again, you just never know, but as my friend said, why not? I think one thing that helped me was stating my willingness to travel quite a distance for the right games (and I was certainly true to my word on that, all 3 of my games were a good drive for me). Also, if you have a "Wanted" ad, it makes it a lot harder to haggle on a price, you have put yourself out there as the needy one, so don't forget that. I get annoyed myself if I ever respond to a Wanted ad and the person ultimately wants something at low wholesale. I don't believe you should waste your time putting yourself out there unless you either give a price point, or you are willing to pay current market value. Best of luck!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hey TigerLaw, when did pinside start charging buyers fees? I thought it was only the sellers that had to pay.

Don't know. I will check and report back.

#22 7 years ago

I have had great luck twice with would like to buy ads. The first one was instant and the 2nd took about 60 days.

#23 7 years ago

I've had good luck when looking for specific parts - an old knocker assembly, trough switch, etc. These types of parts are sitting in games the owner is parting out, but they are not listing every single part for sale, and the WTB ad is helpful in discovering them. Games are another story, people generally post an ad for a complete game if they're selling, so you're probably paying above market if a WTB ad works.

#24 7 years ago

I sold a game by looking through them. It was a super easy transaction.

#25 7 years ago

Pretty good success, a want ad can open up a line of communication between a buyer and seller of a game in question. That said I have a pet peeve against generic want ads like "buying your pinball machines - top $ paid" and such. I'm specific when I am looking, and I have no problem with others looking for specific titles. If your want ad is for "buying pinball machines" - well, if it is on CL I will make certain to flag it. We're all looking for pinball machines, and those generic ads reek of money grubbing flipping.

#26 7 years ago

Want ads have worked for me here. I picked up a Bone Busters, an Arena, and a Robo-War because of them. Watch out though, if you mention a price you want to pay the price pumpers come out of the woodwork.

#27 7 years ago

I'm 1 for 1. Placed a wtb on cl. Got a msg from a guy who had what I was looking for. Got there, found out he was downsizing. Ended up getting the game plus 2 others.

#28 7 years ago

I've had some success placing a "pinball machines" wanted ad in the free classifieds papers - Thrifty Nickel, American Classifieds, etc - that you get at supermarkets and convenience stores. Usually, people will call wanting to get rid of EM and early SS machines. But, since most of the people are non-collectors, you can get some very good deals...

#29 7 years ago

I've sold a few games through WTB ads here on Pinside. If the person looking has a good reputation and is willing to pay a fair price, it can be a more hassle free and easy way to sell a game. It also helps when the buyer explicitly states the title, condition and price range in the WTB ad.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Pretty good success, a want ad can open up a line of communication between a buyer and seller of a game in question. That said I have a pet peeve against generic want ads like "buying your pinball machines - top $ paid" and such. I'm specific when I am looking, and I have no problem with others looking for specific titles. If your want ad is for "buying pinball machines" - well, if it is on CL I will make certain to flag it. We're all looking for pinball machines, and those generic ads reek of money grubbing flipping.

Agree there are flippers out there but there are none flippers that run these adds. Pinball machines are few and far between were I live. I have ran these type of adds looking for a pinball machine and have found some by doing so. But mine are defiantly not top $ paid and I'm not finding a BBB or any King Kong's just cool old games that I have mostly brought back from the dead.

#31 7 years ago

I have put up a few want ads, most got no response, but a couple have worked

But,
If you don't ask, the answer is always 'NO'

I also find that it pays to be an active forum member. People holding on to stuff are more happy to deal with members who are not going to be difficult to deal with

#32 7 years ago

50/50. Some work some don't. Worth a shot if it is something you want.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I also find that it pays to be an active forum member. People holding on to stuff are more happy to deal with members who are not going to be difficult to deal with

This is 100% correct. You get so many more responses to want ads when you are an active member of the community participating in threads than you do if you lurk and no one knows who you are.

It is easier to do transactions as well as a lot of the worries with pay pal and taking checks and latent defects to games is reduced when you know the person through the forums...increases trust on all sides.

#34 7 years ago

I use the WTB ads. I also scan them when I have a game for sale. Sometimes I get interest or they tell a friend and that gives me a lead.

It's like chumming the water. Sometimes it takes a while.

#35 7 years ago

I got a game I was looking for for 2 years from a random person on the internet responding to my want ad. It wasn't even a Pinsider.

#36 7 years ago

I have purchased 2 pins with wanted listings. My advice is to check those games very close. Out of my entire collection those are the 2 games I question the most if I should have purchased, because of some many problems with them.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I got a game I was looking for for 2 years from a random person on the internet responding to my want ad. It wasn't even a Pinsider.

That's what happened with my Quicksilver. The guy that had it was not a Pinsider but he saw my wanted ad and made an account and contacted me. It was the only machine he had and it was just left in the house he purchased.

#38 7 years ago

Secured a Maverick at the right price from a fellow pinsider in just two days from a want ad. They do work

#39 7 years ago

I've gotten many good responses from Pinside want ads, and have ended up buying games from those responses. Some have gone without any response what-so-ever, though.

#40 7 years ago

I think a want ad is a great idea...if you're really looking...they aren't hard to find. I would love to own some day.....

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

O-din, I am not seeing any buyer fee on the market. Please open a moderator feedback thread and include a screen shot of the buyer fee.

Thanks!

Marcus

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

O-din, I am not seeing any buyer fee on the market.

If you end your wanted to buy ad and say you found what you were looking for (even if not here), a fee request will come up. No need to start a feed back thread.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

OP, if I may offer some constructive criticism, the way your ad reads makes it sound as if you're probably going to be pickier than I'd hope you would actually be on a $2500 Dredd. I've posted wanted ads without so many specifics of "X should look like Y, Z should be in Q condition" and just said "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT."

I have to offer my thanks to everybody. This is my first topic that has generated any attention.

I started off the ad by describing the two most recent machines in Ohio with a lot of detail, the condition they were in and the prices they were going for. I originally put in the ad $2500 without the topper and up to $2700 with the topper, which covered those machines.

I just wanted a machine like the one I lost, no more, no less. Collin's approach is probably better, just ask for a machine and see what happens. But I was angry, frustrated and wanted to "do something", even if it's not the right thing to do. I mean, I find a nice original machine that is 45 minutes from my work. I even had the mods all picked out and found an original topper for it.

It's kind of hard to go from ideal machine to shipping "something" across country, not knowing if you will even get it, and what shape it will be in. I only shipped one machine and was on pins and needles from the second I put the check in the mailbox.

I figured if the site is going to do some work for me, I might as well be specific.

I just want a working machine that has all it's parts and is not needing a playfield, boards and cabinet decals. That might seem too specific, but I'd rather have that than mods and LEDs. And I really like mods and LEDs, but I can do that myself, and enjoy doing that. I have too many machines already that need cabinet work, and I just want to avoid those kind of machines in the future. I also want to avoid looking for unobtainium parts, like the Whitewater topper, or certain plastics that don't exist anymore.

Anyway, for Dredd, it seemed that type of machine was available for around $2500, by many recent examples. Dredd to me is one of the remaining low hanging fruit. I'm trying to get one before it's too late.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

How does a game get destroyed this way? Struck by lightning and caught on fire?

Apparently there was a power surge that took out a lot of other electronics in the house. At first I thought he just sold it to somebody else, but the story just couldn't be made up. It's a shame because the original pickup day was on a Tuesday, got bumped to Wednesday morning, then to Friday morning. The storm was Wednesday night. He offered to make the exchange Thursday morning, but I didn't have the money on me. And it's a good thing in hind sight because the game was already porked by that time, and I would have discovered it because I bring a sinewave UPS with me for pin testing on special occasions. I would have went home empty handed anyway.

That particular JD so far has several confirmed fried boards, optos, and is residing in a shop somewhere. I offered him $1500 for it as-is but it's too much loss for him so he's going to just keep it now.

#45 7 years ago

I've had success from 2 or 3 wanted ads. Expect to pay top dollar or close to it when posting a want ad though. You kind of hand over leverage to the seller.

#46 7 years ago

Modified the ad to only this:

"Looking for machines local to metro Detroit area. Willing to drive up to 200 miles."

We'll see what happens, but not holding my breath. I have a mid 200s Rob Zombie coming and should probably put the money toward that instead. The way that game is going, if I don't like it I could sell it for an MBr plus a couple Dredd's in two years.

Was at the right time and place for once

#47 7 years ago

I'm 1 for 1 with my want ads. Took about a week to get the deal in place.

#48 7 years ago

Single data point: Never put up a WTB, but seeing a WTB led to me sell a game that I wasn't actively looking to sell.

#49 7 years ago

Putting up a wanted ad DOES NOT automatically mean I'll pay top dollar.

Someone else may be looking for a good screw; I am not. I keep my logic ahead of my emotion.

I lay out the terms of what I will and won't settle for when I put my wanted ad in place. Just because you're ready to buy doesn't mean you should expect bruises on your monetary ankles.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from SpiffyRob:

Single data point: Never put up a WTB, but seeing a WTB led to me sell a game that I wasn't actively looking to sell.

That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 37.50
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-want-ads-effective and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.