Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elliottshirt.jpg
    IMG_5175.jpg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

depends on the title. There's a guy in chicago that's been trying to sell his WNBJM for months now. Even at $4500, still no takers:

He'll make that game his coffin before it sells at that price.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then again there is also working your way down from them.

Well it all boils down to space vs available funds. I have some "hobby money" every year.....but have a very small collection. I started out buying pins mostly in the $1700-$2400 range and have worked up to pins that now have an average value over 4k. I don't have an 8k pin but I can see it heading that way if I like the game a lot more than anything I have already.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I filled my garage with machines after selling TronLE.

So very this. Does anybody really think that ANY game is 10-100 times better than something you could get for $100 - $1000? I mean really? I looooooove WNBJM but the high-tapped World Fair I just picked up cheap is almost, if not just as much, fun. I could fill an arcade with very fun machines for the price of a TWD.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

So very this. Does anybody really think that ANY game is 10-100 times better than something you could get for $100 - $1000? I mean really?

Yes.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

So very this. Does anybody really think that ANY game is 10-100 times better than something you could get for $100 - $1000? I mean really? I looooooove WNBJM but the high-tapped World Fair I just picked up cheap is almost, if not just as much, fun. I could fill an arcade with very fun machines for the price of a TWD.

I just want to stop over and play with your ding dong.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Haha. The wife makes that joke all the time. It's a really fun game.
    The wife also calls (widebody) Genie my fat girlfriend.

#57 8 years ago

kenada always pricing pins. has one lotr. kenada is pinsides biggest tire kicker!!

#58 8 years ago

I have thought about selling my AC/DC BIBLE modded to the hilt, but I am afraid I would kick myself.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Pinball is an amazingly varied hobby. I love that I have put a $150 beater right next to an $8000 showpiece and had a blast on both games.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I have thought about selling my AC/DC BIBLE modded to the hilt, but I am afraid I would kick myself.

Even I would kick you.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I have so many inquiring about my tron le, met le. I know I would miss those. aint selling nothing right now. I am gonna rid some of my arcades (blasphemy) to add 4 more pins. been playing a lot of pinball lately.

#62 8 years ago

I don't mind paying 8k for a machine if I know that in a few years of playing it I can sell it for 8k.

I feel the same way for a 2k machine or a 4k machine or a 6k machine.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Pinball is an amazingly varied hobby. I love that I have put a $150 beater right next to an $8000 showpiece and had a blast on both games.

Yeah, but admit it, Dave...you had 53 times as much fun on the $8000 machine.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

I don't mind paying 8k for a machine if I know that in a few years of playing it I can sell it for 8k.

I don't even mind if I sell it for 7k. As long as I had 1k worth of fun while I had it.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah, but admit it, Dave...you had 53 times as much fun on the $8000 machine.

Oh I don't know about that... That beat up Eight Ball has been the scene of quite a few battles over the last couple years. I love me some classic Ballys.

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't even mind if I sell it for 7k. As long as I had 1k worth of fun while I had it

This for sure. I don't mind losing some money, that's life in buying an item you use...at the same time, I don't want to lose 25% or more of what I paid...

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't even mind if I sell it for 7k. As long as I had 1k worth of fun while I had it.

I have 3 teenage girls, actually one is getting ready to turn 21, so anything I EVER get back on $$$$ I spend, especially that I love doing, feels like i just hit the F ing lottery!!! Fitty cent on the dollar, holla, holla...

#69 8 years ago

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them... Some guy does a video saying TX-Sector is a cool game and all the sudden it is worth 4 grand. The 328 GTS Ferrari from the 80's which Magnum drove sold new for 70 grand back in the day, someone buys one at pebble beach auction for 1 million and now good luck finding one for under 250K. Of course these numbers may be off some but still the point is that many times prices are a nexus of wants and desire thereby establishing a relatively subjective measure of their monetary value.

#70 8 years ago

Gemma must be your dog because that's the only logical reason to turn down $12K right now for TRONLE.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Things are worth what someone is willing to pay for them... Some guy does a video saying TX-Sector is a cool game and all the sudden it is worth 4 grand. The 328 GTS Ferrari from the 80's which Magnum drove sold new for 70 grand back in the day, someone buys one at pebble beach auction for 1 million and now good luck finding one for under 250K. Of course these numbers may be off some but still the point is that many times prices are a nexus of wants and desire thereby establishing a relatively subjective measure of their monetary value.

I spent all my money on a new double wide trailer for my lot at the trailer park, I so want that Ferrari but I couldn't even afford the Magnum mustache so I went with the lesser version.

elliottshirt.jpgelliottshirt.jpg

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from MarcG:

Have had a huo twdle for sale a few weeks at 7k, no takers.

I thought your pin was right on the money and I would have taken a shot except for the distance. Ended up going premium, but really wanted an LE

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

If space wasn't issue, you're right. I'd much rather have a large collection of lower priced games. But for most of us, there are only a finite number of pins we're going to be able to fit. I know I'm at my limit at 6....at least if I want to keep my wife. If she goes, I'd have plenty of room.....hmmmmm

1 week later
    #74 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

No pinball machine is worth $8000. Not one. But those who pay that, or more--and I include myself when I say this--pay that because we have to. Otherwise, you don't get the machine you want. Sucks...but it is what it is.
    So...is it worth it to most people? No. But to me? Yes.

This has a lot of truth with a lot of things. I like red wine and truly I think no bottle (within reason) is worth more than 100 dollars. The reality is if you want to drink good wine you can pay whatever you like, prices that would make the best here gasp.

#75 8 years ago

Unless the theme is something that I just must have (Aliens) then I'm out of the 8K pins, in fact I'm out of the 5K pin market as I've found I get bored of a pinball machine regardless of price and how much stuff is going on anyway, really the more simple a pin the longer its lasts in my collection, I had TWDLE beside my Centaur 2 and just couldn't justify the almost 4x price tag, I sold TWD and bought a WW, FH and BOP now don't get me wrong if you can afford it and live with it then buy everything you've ever wanted, thats what I do. My pinball buying obsession has become more refined as of late and I'm finding more joy in picking up some obscure 1K game and playing the shit out of it then flipping for another. I played a ton of GOT at my local distributer and its a great game but right now with our exchange rate its over 7 grand, my mind now goes to "thats 3 great system 11's" and I walk away. JMO

#76 8 years ago

Are they selling for $8+ or just asking? Simple question, but the answer to this answers your question. Economics 101.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Knowing that I might possibly get $15,000 (Canadian) for my TRON:LE makes me seriously consider selling it on a regular basis.
    The thing that holds me back is that I bought it new and it's never left my game room, plus TRON holds a special appeal to me. Also, once I sell it I'll never be able to get another one to replace it. I'm locked into this struggle where I see the ludicrous prices they're bringing, but knowing it's a one-way street.

I don't know man, I see about 5 Tron LE's up for sale each year. Personally I'd take that $15,000 now. Regardless of what some say, when the real innovation to pinball hits soon, older Dmd titles are all gonna dip. Plus we all know Tron VE is coming and will most like be a premium. That's just way more money than the Tron LE experience is worth.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

If space wasn't issue, you're right. I'd much rather have a large collection of lower priced games. But for most of us, there are only a finite number of pins we're going to be able to fit. I know I'm at my limit at 6....at least if I want to keep my wife. If she goes, I'd have plenty of room.....hmmmmm

I'm in the same boat here. Space rather than money is the limiting factor, so I might as well get the very best pinballs I can to put in that space. The fact that those high-dollar machines typically will keep at least 85-90% of their value should I ever choose to resell them makes the actual "cost" part relatively low (as opposed to the "investment with interest paid out in fun" part).

On top of all that, I also find the $8000 machines to be many times as fun as the older, cheaper machines, but of course preferences will differ on that point.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Plus we all know Tron VE is coming and will most like be a premium.

Is this really gonna happen? I know it was speculated for a while. Has Stern confirmed this?

#80 8 years ago

Yes it's going to be a premium. No telling how much it will cost,with all the crazy prices people are paying nowadays. Ed

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

This has a lot of truth with a lot of things. I like red wine and truly I think no bottle (within reason) is worth more than 100 dollars. The reality is if you want to drink good wine you can pay whatever you like, prices that would make the best here gasp.

Good point. I'm more apt to spend outrageous money on a pin or something that I'll have for a long time rather than a meal (although I just had a $200 lunch last week...ouch!). At least you have a pin to play for a while. I always joke with my wife when I'm taking a dump the morning after an expensive meal, "Well...there goes another $100!" It's kind of depressing...like you're literally flushing your money down the toilet.

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Good point. I'm more apt to spend outrageous money on a pin or something that I'll have for a long time rather than a meal (although I just had a $200 lunch last week...ouch!). At least you have a pin to play for a while. I always joke with my wife when I'm taking a dump the morning after an expensive meal, "Well...there goes another $100!" It's kind of depressing...like you're literally flushing your money down the toilet.

Tell me about it. Took the Pepsi team of four out to the four seasons restaurant. $800. Asked the waiter if it came with a color dmd. He just looked at me.

#83 8 years ago

Another thread beating down the obvious..

1) higher priced games are a more niche market vs mainstream games.. more buyers at lower prices = more volume and faster moving. 'high priced games don't move' is just economics... its a smaller market
    2) asking prices vs selling prices - maybe someday someone will convince sellers to expose the numbers.. until then..
    3) proven commodities with limited availability.. with growing customer bases = escalating prices

Isn't this basic economics over and over? As long as the demand is high from new buyers, or buyers moving into the market.. existing prices will be stable or increasing.

Until these games are determined to be 'undesirable' or there is a max exodus from the market... these discussions are just circular.

The only variable is if the games are 'desirable' or not.. and the trend is in Stern's favor.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I want it, but it's too far. Whoa Nellie kicks ass.

I was thinking same thing. I need to sell a few games and buy me a WNBJM from Trent NIB.

#85 8 years ago

Nope. None of these things are worth that much. Will people pay that, yes, but are they worth it, no.

#86 8 years ago

Wonder if we can compare prices of today to older LE pinballs as a ratio?

GOT pro - $5995 MSRP
    GOT prem $7,595 MSRP (26% increase over pro)
    GOT LE $8795 MSRP (46% increase over pro)

Boston pinball prices 2014:
    Black knight - average price $1200
    Black knight LE - average price $1130 (6% price decrease?)

Williams Fire! - average price $1190
    Williams Fire! CE - average price not listed, typically sells for $1500 in similar condition (26% price increase)

LOTR - average price $3800
    LOTR gold edition - average price $5600 (47% price increase)

addams family - average price $3600
    addams family collectors edition - average price??

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-used-sterns-worth-8000-still/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.