• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOCK DOWN (resized).JPG
20180307_131358 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

Tell me how this plate comes off....please. Is it held on with rivets into the metal or nails into the wood underneath? I would like to repaint and bake the letters without the whole thing going in the oven.

Thanks

20180307_131358 (resized).jpg20180307_131358 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Twist nails hammered into the wood. I use a very thin, stiff putty knife under the plate to gently raise the nails to the point where you can grab the nails with a Vice-Grip and twist them out.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Twist nails hammered into the wood. I use a very thin, stiff putty knife under the plate to gently raise the nails to the point where you can grab the nails with a Vice-Grip and twist them out.

Exactly

#4 6 years ago

Thank you...

#5 6 years ago

Is there a source for the right size twist nails both small used here and larger used in side rails?

#7 6 years ago

And the challenge grows ... one of the round head twist screws BROKE OFF IN THE WOOD!!!

hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I am considering removing the surrounds at the LEFT, RIGHT, and R buttons. I can redo the lettering on the buttons while I am doing the 'Five Plays Quarter" surround. More work; however, then I can select fasteners and all will match.

Thanks Dennis for the link. I learn the terminology that will help in my fastener search.

#8 6 years ago

Frank, if you can get the plate off under the coin thing it may expose
enough of the broken drive screw to allow you to get a hold of it.
The drive screws I used were from Fastenal; part # 32226
If you google "32226 drive screw" you will find them.
I sent a pic of my lock down bar, not complete, but the
"32226" drive screws are used!
Terry K

LOCK DOWN (resized).JPGLOCK DOWN (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Can you use the nail risers with that fastenal screw/nail?

#10 6 years ago

Nick, what is a nail riser???
Terry K

#11 6 years ago

Terry, in the other thread that Dennis linked, you posted a photo from Coos' site that shows his reproduction nail risers. They are a little collar or standoff that usually surrounds buttons.

#12 6 years ago

Nick, I don't know how those nail risers are mounted.
I don't think I have ever seen one, installed or not
Terry K

#13 6 years ago

Terry, they would be mounted directly under the nails for, say, the nails surrounding your 'R' button. I know they help me find my way to the buttons if I'm not looking at the footrail (staring in disbelief and joy at the 5 in a row I just made).

#14 6 years ago

So the risers would be nailed in with a drive screw type thing?
Is this something that is done?
I don't even know how big they are.
Coos would probably send you a pic of the UN mounted
risers next to a tape measure for comparison.
Terry K

#15 6 years ago

Terry, they are very small. They flare out from the head of the nail. The twist nail is pounded through them, through the footrail plate, into the wood of the lockbar. I can take that picture next time I'm near my bingo parts if you like. Coos' picture is accurate for the twist nails. To my eye, the nails you are using are slightly larger. Was that an NOS footrail plate or did you have it made?

If NOS, did the holes have to be enlarged to use the fastenal nails?

#16 6 years ago

The metal foot rail plate is from Coos.
The holes were drilled just a bit larger.
The foot rail was new, so the holes drilled were
the proper size
Terry K

#17 6 years ago

While you all were up here chatting, I was tearing apart my foot rail. What a mess. I got all the plates from around the Left Right and R buttons. Phew. Only two twist nail broke off in the wood. I then removed the metal cover to expose the wood lock bar. I found that the wood has been cannibalized from another machine. The holes were filled and moved. I found what looked like remains of a gasket/seal I supposed help keep the soda and beer from running down the glass and into the machine (I'll have to figure out a replacement when I get to that). The ashes were so thick I scrapped and scrubbed under water. Once clean I found parts of staples (I'm guessing held the original gasket in place) and carpet tacks that held the remnants I found. Approaching the carriage bolts that extend through the wooden lock bar to hold it in place, I discovered one was a cut off bolt glued in place and the other had it's head held in place with a nail.

What an adventure! Oh, and I found unused switch parts used to hold the ramp in the coin slot in place.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from KYBingo:

I found what looked like remains of a gasket/seal I supposed help keep the soda and beer from running down the glass and into the machine (I'll have to figure out a replacement when I get to that).

it's nothing special. Any rubber/foam weather stripping will work as long as it compresses down to the thickness you need.

originally it was a pretty dense material and later games had a round, hollow seal with a stapling flange. These days, I'd guess most people use a strip of open cell foam if they want to replace the seal.

#19 6 years ago

I used weather stripping, really for the
sole purpose of stopping the nickles from
getting under the lock down
TK

#20 6 years ago

Nick, I saw some pictures of the "nail risers" on Hugh Kown's
site. Does he every have a NICE collection!!
I tried to capture a picture but it was to small.
I really like the "look". I may go with some, just something
else to add to my list
Terry K

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-they-rivets-or-a-nails?hl=baldtwit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.