View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

The old owner of my Williams Star Light had a new XPin power supply installed and it looks like two (heavier gage) yellow wire somehow didn't get connected or now don't need to be?The game plays perfectly with the exception of no GI or backglass illumination. Please take a look at the pictures and see if you see anything wrong or have any clues on what would make this happen. Thanks!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

Use your DMM on A/C volts and measure the yellow wires coming from the cabinet, should be 6 volts.

#3 8 years ago

I think those need to be connected. Looks like my comet GI wires. As I recall, they were soldered directly to the power supply and I had to cut or unsolder the wires to remove it.. Maybe that is what you do when the origianal gi connector burns up. I later added a molex connector which looks like the one on your new power supply. Maybe the old owner did not have the matching connector for the new power supply. Just My guess

#4 8 years ago

have you checked the fuses

#5 8 years ago

First put your meter on Ohms and check the resistance between your two loose yellow wires. If it's less than 2 ohms, there is probably a short in the GI and that's why it's not hooked up.

Put your meter on AC and you should see 6vac on either the pins in that pigtail Molex or the 2 pin Molex on the lower right corner of the Xpin board.

You can attach those 2 wires to either of those 6vac connector.

#6 8 years ago

I'm all over it Vid1900. All hook it up and report back. Thanks to all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-these-two-unconnected-wires-the-reason-for-no-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.