(Topic ID: 259238)

are these the proper steps on a playfield retheme?

By toasterman04

15 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by toasterman04
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wizardpf (resized).jpg

#1 15 days ago

Hello Pinheads!
I am undertaking a retheme of a quicksilver, now dont worry, i didnt wreck mine to do this. As per pinsides opinions; I sold it to fund a build of one. I have found a local artist and although he is very talented, he has never done a pinball. are the steps I've listed below fairly accurate.

My Steps
- remove all old inserts
- install new inserts level with playfield
- give playfield to artist

Artist's Steps
- Sand entire playfield with inserts to remove all artwork and make all inserts smooth
- apply clear coat to entire surface to smooth everything out and create a painting surface
- hand paint artwork, painting around each insert
(artist thoughts are to paint and clear with the inserts out)
- clear over art work
- apply decals for all words and points on and around inserts
- final couple clears to make it glass smooth.

does that sound fairly accurate. I trust my artist, as he is a master of his craft, he does custom work on bikes, cars, and anything he can. so i have faith in him, just looking for a little guidance to make sure I'm on the right path.

#2 11 days ago

The process you describe probably has more steps than necessary. Since the inserts do not have decals, they do not need to be replaced unless you want new colors. Once you have removed all the parts from the playfield, including any mylar, sand it smooth. This will level out the inserts. Then the artist can paint the bare wood surface (instead of trying to paint on clear). Once the paint is done, add any decals and then clear the playfield.

We used a similar process for the Sailor Jerry custom pinball machine. The artist incorporated playfield instructions in the artwork, so we did not need to add any decals. The wooden playfield provided an excellent painting surface. Once the art was fully dry, we clear coated the entire playfield.

#3 10 days ago

We used pretty much those steps to retheme this pf into a different game

wizardpf (resized).jpg
#4 10 days ago

Awesome guys!!! Thanks for your input! Meeting with him this week! Cant wait!

#5 9 days ago

What’s the theme?

#6 9 days ago

I fell in love with the silver Bullet backglass by Holderman. So I am using that back glass and having a local artist do his thing werewolf style. Meeting with him this friday. I am thinking the left hole I'm gonna try and make it look like an open grave, so it looks like the ball goes into a grave and gets pushed back out. and for the 3 right targets, they increase your multiplier, i was thinking of having them as 'powerups' like a twinkie, a cola and fun dip or something like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Montreal, QUEBEC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside