Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dc2010
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I got my first machine in 1982 when I was 13 years old. It was a Stern Meteor that my parents bought me for Christmas and fortunately played great and needed nothing. In 1996 I bought my current machine, a Williams Comet. I lived in the SF bay area and after I bought it I used to go to "For Amusement Only" in Berkeley. It was in a large old Victorian house and was a junkyard of pins. They had every little nut screw and bracket I would need and often times pulled parts out of the machines, packed inside that old house.

Now I need a few drop target parts for my "dunk the dummy" on my Comet and am having a hard time finding them even though I've searched high and low. I'm not opposed to buying the few parts I need NEW but I can't find a parts breakdown to properly ID the parts I need. Is there a "go too" pinball "junkyard" or a particular person I should contact for parts like that? I know I can post a wanted ad here and I will but is there someone or someplace that is a "go too" for small misc bracketry etc. I might need in the future?

The parts I need currently are an upper drop target coil mount, and a plunger stop plate. I know these must have been used on several Williams pins of that era. If anybody has a lead on a parts breakdown I would greatly appreciate it, or someone who deals in small stupid little parts I might need in the future. I know somebody has them, I just can't find those people!

Thanks, Bub

#2 4 years ago

I am far newer to the game than you are, and I’ve been looking for these types of places for 5 years. Based on my searching, What appears to be left are operators going out of business, or selling their entire warehouses of inventory all at once ... tens of thousands of dollars usually. And loads of hassle. I’ll let you know if I find a junkyard if you let me know...

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the response Rdoyle. It's amazing how hard it is to find a lot of pinball stuff online, like exploded parts views. Like I said I'm not opposed to buying new parts, just need to ID the stuff I need. If I find someone I will definitely let you know!

#4 4 years ago

Hell I'd love a good warehouse raid, do those exist anymore???

#5 4 years ago

I don't even need a "raid". Just 2 drop target pieces! I'd buy a whole drop target to get them but I can't find em. I do have the manual for the machine but it has no parts break down or part numbers.

#6 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can buy a drop target assembly off eBay for system 11 and gut it to fix yours

ebay.com link: AS IS Williams PIN BOT Pinball Machine DROP TARGET ASSEMBLY AS IS

#7 4 years ago

This manual has the exploded view and parts numbers.
    https://www.ipdb.org/files/548/Comet_manual.pdf

Go to Marco and key in the parts numbers.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/

#8 4 years ago

Search here on pinside about a dozen or so threads about parts guys selling stuff also suggest asking in the actual game thread fellow owners that may have what you need.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am far newer to the game than you are, and I’ve been looking for these types of places for 5 years. Based on my searching, What appears to be left are operators going out of business, or selling their entire warehouses of inventory all at once ... tens of thousands of dollars usually. And loads of hassle. I’ll let you know if I find a junkyard if you let me know...

/\ this

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Thanks for the response Rdoyle. It's amazing how hard it is to find a lot of pinball stuff online, like exploded parts views. Like I said I'm not opposed to buying new parts, just need to ID the stuff I need. If I find someone I will definitely let you know!

For looking for specific part numbers for a game, I find Planetary's online copies of the old Williams parts catalogs invaluable:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

#11 4 years ago

All of these are great suggestions. Personally, just research the manual online, it’s seriously not that difficult! The parts views are available, find the part number or number of the assembly. Then you research that online to find parts. In fact if you just look up forums under the Comet machine, just click the name and it brings you to that machine’s info. From there go to the forums tab. (This is all right here on Pinside)

Someone made a post not long ago about the dunk tank dummy and how it gets destroyed. I believe they had made a new design replacement that is more robust

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. The manual Ronaldraygun posted is the same one I have. I don't know how I thumbed through that and missed the parts break down for the drop target assembly. Feeling pretty stupid about that. I had a spare playfield that I got rid of when I moved about 7 years ago. I stripped the top side and sold it and thought I was being smart. Feeling pretty stupid about that as well. I just looked up the parts I need on Marco and one of them I was wondering about previously is one that I need. I found the other parts as well.

I've been a member here for a while but never been very active as my Comet has been down for a while. We finally got the GI working recently after 23 years of not working. I've got new Freeplay40 ramps for it. Rebuilding pop bumpers and the drop target assembly should have me up and flipping again! I need to get into the Comet thread as well.

Thanks again you guys, Pinside rocks!

#13 4 years ago

I used to have about a dozen of those "Dunk the Dummy" NOS assemblies many years ago but they appear to be all gone. If you or anyone wants to buy there own "junkyard" of parts come over and I'll make a deal with you......LOL.

John

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I used to have about a dozen of those "Dunk the Dummy" NOS assemblies many years ago but they appear to be all gone. If you or anyone wants to buy there own "junkyard" of parts come over and I'll make a deal with you......LOL.
    John

Don't tempt me lol, I'll be in Illinois soon

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-still-pinball-junkyards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.