(Topic ID: 19870)

Are there any Stern Real Knocker Kits Available?

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

knocker3.jpg
    knocker1.jpg
    knocker2.jpg
    IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    1309_001.jpg
    130360.jpg
    image3041.jpg
    rps20140721_223241.jpg
    IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG
    tafknocker.jpg
    DSC00580.jpg
    DSC00570_(Medium).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from charles4400:

I'll definately ask him about when vacation ends...thanks!

Hopefully Terry has some or the person that originaly made the kit can make some more (I forget who made them). I have one in my Black Spider-Man and would be interested in another, but I'm not about to pay the high prices some people are asking for them.

#14 11 years ago

I put one of Andrew's kits in my Black Spider-Man without any problems at all....and believe me, that means it's really simple.

Works great and now I'm in need of one for my incoming X-Men LE. I'll be keeping my eyes open for your post Andrew. Any chance of signing up for a text message alert?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

Are these the same, more or less, as the one's Pinball Life used to sell?

I believe they are the same. Meaning the exact same..they are Andrew's kits that Pinball Life sells.

3 weeks later
    #39 11 years ago

I am still staying tuned.

2 years later
    #102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballpal:

Could we use this board for power to make it an easier install.
    http://mezelmods.com/collections/diy/products/stern-power-tap
    Just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this.

I think that only grabs +12v and +5v (which can already be grabbed at the front of any Stern game).

EDIT: I just responded to a post that was already answered. Sooooo........what he said.

2 months later
    #114 9 years ago

I believe Andrew Barney is who used to make the knocker kits from time to time. They would sell them on Pinball Life and usually would sell out pretty briskly. Then it would be crickets until you started to see "scalpers" selling them for 2x the original asking price.....then another batch would usually be made.

I got a kit when X-Men was released and that was the last batch I had noticed.

1 month later
    #118 9 years ago

This is to the best of my knowledge after installing one of the pre-made knocker kits years ago in my Black Spider-Man.

I believe the knocker kits would use a harness in the lower left hand side of the cabinet (about halfway back). This would provide power, but not enough for the knocker to be effective. The knocker kit actually included a box that would jump the power up to the coil to make it effective as a knocker.

The connection these used would also send the signal for the knocker to work. So even though Stern never did provide an official real knocker, you can still go in the game setting and turn this locations (coil 24 I believe) on for knocker use. The game settings menu also has a place to test the added knocker. It always seemed weird that Stern would include all of these settings for a real knocker, but not offer them themselves.

8 months later
    #129 8 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

As I understand ( ?) the knocker only works for match at game's end, not for extra balls, or special awards....is this correct?
    Any way to change that?

The real knocker goes off whenever the game normally makes the default knocker sound effect chirp.

There is a connection in SAM system games Q24 is what they call it. It's in the lower cabinet on the left side I believe. It is a harness that the real knocker hooks up to. Standard Adjustment #55 lets you turn the real knocker on in the settings.

1 year later
    #162 6 years ago

The knocker kits sold extremely well. They would be in stock at Pinball Life and sell out right away. Then the scalpers would set up shop and sell them at double the price. I never really understood all the money being turned away by someone not making this to be in stock at all times. Every time a new and compatible game was released with the squelch knocker it would have been guaranteed money in the bank.

I have one in my BSM and I have the knocker sound turned off and the physical knocker turned on. Going into coil test #24 does nothing, but if I go into diagnostics and the knocker setting, it lets me test the physical knocker just fine.

I remember people trying to add a more realistic knocker sound to SAM games via Pinball Browser, but the results seem to be, not so good and most all reports I saw had people going back to the default Stern squelch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-stern-real-knocker-kits-available?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.