New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 19870)

Are there any Stern Real Knocker Kits Available?

By charles4400

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

knocker3.jpg
    knocker1.jpg
    knocker2.jpg
    IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    1309_001.jpg
    130360.jpg
    image3041.jpg
    rps20140721_223241.jpg
    IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG
    tafknocker.jpg
    DSC00580.jpg
    DSC00570_(Medium).JPG

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 3 years ago

SAM games (and later Whitestar games, starting with TSPP) support a knocker out of the box. SPIKE games do not; I believe the Q24 option is gone. But then, I actually haven't been inside of a SPIKE game.

I am very happy with the knockers in my games, but I don't think this was a big seller, and the kits were pretty expensive. I believe they used connectors coming off the transformer to minimize wiring in the head. But if you're comfortable with crimping and light soldering, it's an easy thing to add.

You can use a suitcase connector to tap a +20V line in a convenient location in the head. If your game has no magnets (like my WPT) there will be an unused +50V line in the head that's already fused. I also found an unused solenoid ground. (I had an older board that didn't use the +20V.)

1 week later
    #152 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seems to me that you could use the WPC95 knocker sound that is used on, for example - Monster Bash. That sounds real enough that I think it's a physical one every time it goes off. Someone with a PinSound board in their MB could grab it, then install using Pinball Browser.

Could somebuddy give a link to this sound byte?

3 months later
    #153 3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a knocker on my Metallica LED, but I'm having troubles.

I took 50V from J10/p9 and connected it to the coil via a 3Aslow blow fuse as well as the step-up driver board 50V input

I took 20V from J7/p10 and connects it to the step-up driver board 20V input.

I connected Q24 to the step-up driver PCB IN using the connector located close to the tilt (red/purple wire)

I grounded the step-up PCB to he ground wire bread.

I connected the other pin of the coil to the SOL step-up driver PCB.

I removed the diode from the coil as well.

My awards are set to grant credits, Q24 is configured as knocker, knocker volume has been turned off.

Still, when I go to test the coil I get nothing (not even the sound).
    I tried in game, nothing as well.

I checked my voltage at the step-up driver PCB conn connector.
    20v ok
    50v ok
    Ground ok

Is there a polarity to follow when wiring the coil?
    Any other thing that might cause this?

#154 3 years ago

In my opinion these should be standard on all pinball machines but I understand why Stern eliminated this to save money. That electronic screech sound is horrible and I wish Stern sold a complete plug and play kit for those of us that love that classic crisp loud knock. I would like a real knocker kit for my new AC/DC vault pro.

#155 3 years ago

If someone sold a plug and play kit that didn't seem like an electronics experiment, I would buy one for every game.

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeston:

I can't verify this now without waking somebody up, so I'll have to try it tomorrow.

My recollection is that a proper knocker is either nearly impossible, or actually impossible, to test. It might work in game even if the knocker test doesn't work. The knocker test never works. (I think the Q24 test works on Whitestar, but there is no Q24 test in a SAM game.)

I don't know why they did it this way.

Make sure the knocker fires when the input pin is grounded, then try it in game.

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeston:

Hi all,
    I'm trying to install a knocker on my Metallica LED, but I'm having troubles.
    I took 50V from J10/p9 and connected it to the coil via a 3Aslow blow fuse as well as the step-up driver board 50V input
    I took 20V from J7/p10 and connects it to the step-up driver board 20V input.
    I connected Q24 to the step-up driver PCB IN using the connector located close to the tilt (red/purple wire)
    I grounded the step-up PCB to he ground wire bread.
    I connected the other pin of the coil to the SOL step-up driver PCB.
    I removed the diode from the coil as well.
    My awards are set to grant credits, Q24 is configured as knocker, knocker volume has been turned off.
    I checked my voltage at the step-up driver PCB conn connector.
    20v ok
    50v ok
    Ground ok
    Is there a polarity to follow when wiring the coil?
    Any other thing that might cause this?

Everything sounds correct, I have wired up similarly. You have the correct menu options enabled/disabled too. Like the guy above me mentions, maybe no real good way to test the knocker. I can't remember ever testing mine in the menu, but it works great in game when I get a match or special awarded. A runaround way to test is you could increase your match percentage to the max, then knocker should fire when you get a match.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Everything sounds correct, I have wired up similarly. You have the correct menu options enabled/disabled too. Like the guy above me mentions, maybe no real good way to test the knocker. I can't remember ever testing mine in the menu, but it works great in game when I get a match or special awarded. A runaround way to test is you could increase your match percentage to the max, then knocker should fire when you get a match.

Just curious if you installed the do it yourself kit from parts from Pinball life? easy install?

#159 3 years ago

I checked on my WPT. The Knocker test seems to fire *both* the software knocker as well as Q24, at least with the "right" software settings.

Make sure when testing that you have the +50V enabled (that is, pull the interlock at the coin door out to the service position).

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Just curious if you installed the do it yourself kit from parts from Pinball life? easy install?

Yes, I ordered the Data East knocker, strike plate and the Stern step-up driver board from PBL. Assembled and installed them similarly to this writeup that's referenced earlier in this thread: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

The only difference from that link is that the current step-up boards also require a 20V input. Older boards made during the time of that link didn't require a 20V input.

#161 3 years ago

Yes, I ordered the Data East knocker, strike plate and the Stern step-up driver board from PBL. Assembled and installed them similarly to this writeup that's referenced earlier in this thread: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

Thanks for this -- I believe this was the set of directions I followed when I did my installs.

#162 3 years ago

The knocker kits sold extremely well. They would be in stock at Pinball Life and sell out right away. Then the scalpers would set up shop and sell them at double the price. I never really understood all the money being turned away by someone not making this to be in stock at all times. Every time a new and compatible game was released with the squelch knocker it would have been guaranteed money in the bank.

I have one in my BSM and I have the knocker sound turned off and the physical knocker turned on. Going into coil test #24 does nothing, but if I go into diagnostics and the knocker setting, it lets me test the physical knocker just fine.

I remember people trying to add a more realistic knocker sound to SAM games via Pinball Browser, but the results seem to be, not so good and most all reports I saw had people going back to the default Stern squelch.

#163 3 years ago

Why can't Stern just chsnge the way the knocker sounds to a real knocker? It's one sound byte. Easy peezy...and I hate the way the squelch sounds.

#164 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Why can't Stern just chsnge the way the knocker sounds to a real knocker? It's one sound byte. Easy peezy...and I hate the way the squelch sounds.

For some reason they decided on that sound... it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. No matter what you change it to, it won't really sound like a real knocker.

#165 3 years ago

Ok, I had time to re check my installation.

I installed the knocker from scratch (not the ready made kit)

The connections in the head of the machine were right (as their reading on the connector going to the step-up PCB, like I mentioned in my previous post)

The problem was actually... The step-up PCB...

It appeared that the connector on the PCB wasn't properly soldered.
    The tracks were cut at the base of the connector...
    So no Ground, no 20Volts were going to the BUK7240.

It certainly couldn't work that way...

After a surgery the step-up board is fixed.

In the meantime I found the proper knocker test (diag/knocker), before that I tried by using the optional coil test (diag/coil/test/Q24).

The knocker test works.
    Q24 test does nothing.

So that clears my installation, now let's see if it knocks properly in game, but I'll have to check for that later (have to play for that!)

#166 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeston:

Ok, I had time to re check my installation.
    I installed the knocker from scratch (not the ready made kit)
    The connections in the head of the machine were right (as their reading on the connector going to the step-up PCB, like I mentioned in my previous post)
    The problem was actually... The step-up PCB...
    It appeared that the connector on the PCB wasn't properly soldered.
    The tracks were cut at the base of the connector...
    So no Ground, no 20Volts were going to the BUK7240.
    It certainly couldn't work that way...
    After a surgery the step-up board is fixed.
    In the meantime I found the proper knocker test (diag/knocker), before that I tried by using the optional coil test (diag/coil/test/Q24).
    The knocker test works.
    Q24 test does nothing.
    So that clears my installation, now let's see if it knocks properly in game, but I'll have to check for that later (have to play for that!)

Nicely done. It will work in the game for sure if your knocker test works.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

If someone sold a plug and play kit that didn't seem like an electronics experiment, I would buy one for every game.

People did starting as early as 2004. The kits were roughly $50-75, including required PCB until as mentioned, the scalpers took over. At that point, most of the several older collectors that made them said "$!@# it" and stopped making them the last being Terry around 2007, if I remember correctly after Stern SM.

Disdain was the primary reason, or people simply wanting a free handout for nothing.

Remaining collectors who want one, continue to build them from spare parts since that time.
    It seems to be a "mystery" to some today, but the details are still all over the internet.
    Whitestar and SAM compatible.
    SPIKE is not easily possible without additional game code modification.

I built one for my MET PM as well, works fine, no issues, but this is SAM. I also installed one in my LOTR, SM, WPT, TSPP, and a few other games in the past, as these are all WhiteStar. They all have the coil programmed for use with the transistor, SPIKE games due not directly have the feature, and I doubt that the new SW will have it either in either in the programming or parts. The voltage issue and driver are not the hard part, the programming is the hard part. An owner has to "trick" the computer into sending a signal to a new coil via code rewrite, and this is not the same as say replacing songs on a game.

The same can be said for other game kits as well made in the past such as the original Mark Davidson Dalek "wobble head" kit and the CTFBL LCD kit due to poor quality attempts at copycatting by others, and the original makers basically felt snubbed because new owners did not know the difference between each of the kits anyway, but were being asked for help on kits they did not make.

Periodically a collector will build a "one off" for another friend, but they will not advertise anything as they get mobbed with requests or undulated with installation problem questions.

3 months later
    #168 3 years ago

I put a knocker in my Star Trek last night. I wasn't hearing a knock (software or Q24) when I got a replay. Through some sequence of events, I think I filled up the credit meter.

What credit meter? I took the game off free play, I had 30 credits on it. Once I started using those, I got the knocker. (A Williams game can show credits when on free play; a Stern game always shows "FREE PLAY".) So my game is off free play for a little while. I think the number of credits got run up due to an absurdly low replay score (my kids, people playing at a show) and having 4 replay levels set.

One more thing to check if you have issues, I guess.

1 month later
    1 month later
    #172 2 years ago

The only difference from that link is that the current step-up boards also require a 20V input. Older boards made during the time of that link didn't require a 20V input.

Hi there!

This link (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm) appears to be down (refused permission). Is it stored anywhere else on the Interweb or can someone let me have a copy of the relevant documentation, please?

Thanks

Goz

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silver_Bullet:

Any idea when these might be back in stock?

Very shortly. I had a shipment of Stern 50v step up boards that was held by customs on Xmas eve. Their incompetence on a couple of fronts has meant they have not yet released them. I think they will release them in the coming week. Fingers crossed. Everything else is packed on boxes and ready.

1 week later
    #175 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gozzle:

Hi there!
    This link (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm) appears to be down (refused permission). Is it stored anywhere else on the Interweb or can someone let me have a copy of the relevant documentation, please?
    Thanks
    Goz

http://web.archive.org/web/20160513172624/http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm still has it, but no pictures.

My notes are at ty-ffasi.com, but they're not well organized, but I do have some notes on where to mount a knocker in the head. I do have some pictures, and I can take more if you like.

If you have the Stern step-up board, it has five pins: +50V, +20V, solenoid ground, "in", and "out". I source these from the driver board. Wire +50V to the coil (as well as the step-up board), wire Q24 (perhaps via the connector in the lower cabinet) to "in", and wire the "out" to the other lug on the coil. Remove any diodes on the coil so you don't wire it backwards.

3 weeks later
    #176 2 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Very shortly. I had a shipment of Stern 50v step up boards that was held by customs on Xmas eve. Their incompetence on a couple of fronts has meant they have not yet released them. I think they will release them in the coming week. Fingers crossed. Everything else is packed on boxes and ready.

Ordered and paid today! Thank you for making these available!

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silver_Bullet:

Ordered and paid today! Thank you for making these available!

Received my kits last week. Looks like quality work. Have been too busy to order the knocker parts and install everything though.

1 month later
    #178 2 years ago

Hello,
    Would these work in Stern White Star? Sopranos specifically. Sopranos is listed as White Star Modified.
    Others listed as White Star Modified: Elvis, Grand Prix, Nascar, Ripley's, The Lord of the Rings.
    Thank You

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from alimerick:

Hello,
    Would these work in Stern White Star? Sopranos specifically. Sopranos is listed as White Star Modified.
    Others listed as White Star Modified: Elvis, Grand Prix, Nascar, Ripley's, The Lord of the Rings.
    Thank You

No, the pins for the taps are different.

#180 2 years ago

Nothing better than real knockers. Those fake knockers just aren’t the same. (Couldn’t resist)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7.90
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 100.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 76.00
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside