(Topic ID: 30238)

Are there any games that don’t get repetitive the most? Please explain.

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

We all know every game gets repetitive at some point in time. Weather it is the same shots or completing all of the objectives. Let me know which games hold up the best and keeps the attention of player coming back for more.

#2 11 years ago

1. Lotr
    2. Acdc
    3. MM

Top 3 games that make me coming back for more.

#3 11 years ago

Lotr

#5 11 years ago

LOTR, I agree

#6 11 years ago

Hey,

I'll fire TSPP into the mix...

Luke

#8 11 years ago

Interesting - I find Lotr extremely repetitive, redoing multiballs constantly on long drawn out games. It's just a grind as each game plays the same as the last.

I tend to lean toward fast paced low ball time games as less repetitive. I think ACDC is a great example, but to each their own.

#9 11 years ago

Tron LE

#10 11 years ago

Every single game on the planet unless it has something enjoyable next to it. LOTR was wonderful for 2 months. So was WPT. FT was great as well. Everything except drinking water gets boring eventually.

#11 11 years ago

I'm gonna throw in Dr. Who - short ball times make short games, incredibly challenging and fun. Also nice to play with others as waiting times tend to be short. Beating the master is not easy, that's for sure!

#12 11 years ago
    #13 11 years ago
    Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

Every single game on the planet unless it has something enjoyable next to it. LOTR was wonderful for 2 months. So was WPT. FT was great as well. Everything except drinking water gets boring eventually.

Actually, drinking water gets boring too. But you'll die without it....

I think a simple analysis is that the deeper the game, with good stacking options and less linearity to get to rewards will be the least repetitive.

#14 11 years ago

Congo
    addams

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Actually, drinking water gets boring too. But you'll die without it....
    I think a simple analysis is that the deeper the game, with good stacking options and less linearity to get to rewards will be the least repetitive.

I agree. I think the majority would as well. Some people just like a quick game full of monster fishes instead of having deep games. Like I said people wouldn't disagree what's a great game and lasting power as as far as rules. I know someone who sold TSPP because he didn't have the time and wanted something quick to satisfy his fix every once in a while.

#16 11 years ago

I think all of them get repetitive after a while. I'll play each machine I have until I have a good game, then move on to the next and play it. When I'm done with the real ones, I go play some of the unobtainable on the VP FS system....

Variety makes it great.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballrus:

Interesting - I find Lotr extremely repetitive, redoing multiballs constantly on long drawn out games. It's just a grind as each game plays the same as the last.
    I tend to lean toward fast paced low ball time games as less repetitive. I think ACDC is a great example, but to each their own.

I understand what you're saying and to an extent I agree - but I wouldn't say LOTR is repetitive...there's so much variety in the game and each shot can do countless things. It's a commitment, if anything...but not repetitive. Repetitive would be a game like IJ4 - "Shoot the ramp 30 times, watch a movie clip, then shoot the ramp 50 times" In any case, I agree that games like AC/DC that are fast, random, in your face, challenging and addicting are the ones that don't seem to get repetitive...and because they don't require you to play for an hour, they draw you back in more often.

#18 11 years ago

LoTR Definately.

Not sure about ACDC yet; at times it feels repetitious, and other times its like wow look what just happened. So im on the fence on ACDC atm. Must play more

#19 11 years ago

As usual, I see the pin world through the eyes of the Gottlieb EM's. And there's enough ranting and raving about how slow,boring and repetitive these things are. But there is one that never bores me, and usually the only reason I walk away from it, is because I'm about to slam the heel of my fist through the glass, and I don't feel like bleeding or being banned for life.

'Fire Queen' has three separate, and somewhat unrelated sequences to complete. I have yet to complete all 3 sequences, mostly because all 3 reset after each ball. Achieving this is the biggest goal in my life right now.

There are four rollovers at the wedgehead, and a small bullseye target for #5, above the right slingshot, to complete the 1-5 sequence. Making this sequence lights the Special. There is an upper bank of drop targets, and completing this set activates double bonus. There is a lower bank of targets, and completing them lights that #5 bullseye for an extra ball. What's really cool about the extra ball, is that the sequences do not reset for the extra ball, and if you have Special, or double bonus lit, you retain that. But you DO collect your bonus, and since it maxes out at 15K, you get a fresh start.

Hitting that #5 bullseye is a risky shot. Typical situation where you have a small target with a post on each side, that if you miss it by just a hair, you'll be draining or making a desperate save. ANY Gottlieb EM player knows that! So the only time you want to be aiming for that, is to get the #5 or to score the extra ball.

So you find yourself letting the machine decide what you'll be shooting at, and when you'll be going for each shot, and it really keeps it fresh! Definitely my favorite machine! It's the only machine that I have the current high score on at the Silverball Museum, that I play every time I'm in there, because it NEVER gets stale.

Don't know that I would ever be able to find one, but if I ever do start my own collection, this would be the first one on my wishlist.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Are there any games that don’t get repetitive the most?

Yes. Just one. Orbitor 1.

Still think designing playfields is easy?

#21 11 years ago

they all get old fast. the newness of a game wears off in 3-6 months imo.

Repairs are a different story. never a dull moment and it usually starts on day 1. that's what keeps pinball interesting imo.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I understand what you're saying and to an extent I agree - but I wouldn't say LOTR is repetitive...there's so much variety in the game and each shot can do countless things. It's a commitment, if anything...but not repetitive. Repetitive would be a game like IJ4 - "Shoot the ramp 30 times, watch a movie clip, then shoot the ramp 50 times" In any case, I agree that games like AC/DC that are fast, random, in your face, challenging and addicting are the ones that don't seem to get repetitive...and because they don't require you to play for an hour, they draw you back in more often.

I think whether or not the shots are actually repetitive is less important than the feeling of repetitiveness. This likely stems from the extremely long game times, as I feel the same way about TSPP.
    I used to think I really wanted a LOTR, then one showed up on route less than a mile from my place. I played it for about 3 hours on three different occasions the first month it was there and could hardly stand it by the end. The repetitiveness for me comes from the feeling of the grind. I agree that there are lots of shots, however you still have to hit each one a crap ton of times. Maybe I'm just not ready for the commitment

#23 11 years ago

Taxi

#24 11 years ago

Thinking about this, and it is a good question, I actually think that the less deep a game, there seems to be more variation because of it being manageable and that the deeper the gamer, the more repetitive it seems because of having to repeat everything again and again.

On a game like Creech or BSD you have a simple goal and it does not take long to get there. LOTR or TSPP are at times insufferable to me anymore.

I am more a task than point-oriented player, so to do the same things over and over to get to an almost unattainable point is very repetitive, whereas to reach the apex and repeat it frequently is more fun.

You certainly can argue against the above for sure.

Dan

#25 11 years ago

I will also say that I love repetitive stuff in pinball as it can be wicked fun... Jumping the ramp in No Fear 12 times is just as fun as doing it 15 times, and just as fun as doing it 30 or more times in a game, or 100 times a day.

#26 11 years ago

I'll throw a title into this thread that no one thought of yet....... LOTR

TSPP, JD, and STTNG would be my runner's up

#27 11 years ago

I feel the oposite of most. Games that are deep and have a long storyline (LOTR, TSPP) are very repetitive unless they allow you to chose your own adventure or measure goals in different ways.

I think I am liking the idea of Predator more and more just becuase of how they track each returning players stats over time.

It is similar to how MM tracks the best joust champ, catapult champ, etc but really takes it to a whole new level of actually tracking an individual player rather than just the high score/ high # of slams. I find that one of the biggest things I will likely miss about MM is that I can really choose my own adventure/goals when stepping up to playa game and that makes it very non-repetitive. For example, just try to bash castles, just shoot for damsels, just shoot for trolls, try to do royal madness, try to rule the kingdom. Also, IMHO the goals have to be difficult enough that some are reachable but some are almost never attainable in order to keep a player both challenged and motivated to play 'just one more game'.

#28 11 years ago

I agree with those who think the deeper games tend to be more repetitive.

I had LOTR for about 8 years. I traded it and have no plans to reacquire it any time soon. A single game lasting 2hrs is just not my thing.

I prefer the more difficult/random machines. And by difficult I mean "you better hit your shots or your game is going to be over real quick" not the other kind of difficult which means "If you are very, very, very lucky you might actually complete all of the modes in LOTR some day".

#29 11 years ago

Games that don't get repetitive for me are the ones that have the greatest unpredictability. Games like Whirlwind (spinners), XM (magnets), DW (center bumpers and elevating playfield), Tron (spinner), and TOTAN (spinning lamp). The ball being tossed in different directions provides an element of surprise to each game keeping it interesting.

#30 11 years ago

Someone start a netflix for pinball machines....

#31 11 years ago

I love posts like these. You can look at the collection of the people that post, and they always have that game in their collection. LOL!

I would have to disagree on ACDC. I had a premium and loved the hell out of at first, still an awesome game. But that game gets SUPER repetitive. I mean the rules clearly are repetitive. You shoot the same shots over and over to light the song, then you collect the song, move on to the next, and repeat. Also, multiball after multiball after multiball (which is super fun, but it is repetitive). That has to be one of the most repetitive games of all time. One of the best games of all time as well though!

How can someone possibly say that it's not repetitive?????

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I love posts like these. You can look at the collection of the people that post, and they always have that game in their collection. LOL!

Do you expect them to own games that they don't like and feel are repetitive???

#33 11 years ago

TSPP can be, but also can't be....

If you stick with the main goals (TV modes, couch multiball, I&S) sure it can be....But instead play a game focusing on getting mystery spot...Or Hurry ups. Or Pretzel multiball. Or all the Treehouse awards. Or the mini awards like Victory Laps, Nuclear meltdown, daredevil barts...Or cycle through all the moe's ramp sayings, or Krusty orbit call outs. There's lots to do and you can have a varied game on TSPP. It doesn't have to be the chore of going for AI every game.

#34 11 years ago

games with many different paths or strategies to success/gratification/points are the best. Sometimes I play my LOTR and only aim for modes, other times destroy the ring. if i end up doing really well, then i'll be hunting valinor... but having that near impossible end goal is a cool thing. Iron Man's Do or Die hurry-up/multiball is an excellent way to put pressure on and keep things interesting because you have to do it on one ball so having a single ball-to-ball game is another cool thing to keep it fresh. Some games rely wayyy too much on one goal or strategy to score big that makes you ignore everything else and have to play the same way every time to get the win or high score. Those games will get old the fastest imo.

#35 11 years ago

I agree with those that say deep games get repetitive. I play LOTR the least out of mine for that very reason. Restarting through the multiball modes (to get to DTR) can be a chore right after you just did it. I think the games that offer the least repetitiveness are games with lots to do but, not necessary a deep rule-set. A perfect example of this is TZ. Tons of shots, 4 flippers, powerfield, gumball machine (gumball multiball), powerball, 14 door modes, 4 multiball modes, magnets, plus you can mod the crap out of it. I play the heck out of mine and way more than LOTR (still a great game though). MM has similar attributes and my guess is this is why they rank so high.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

If you are in an area where there a little in the wild, what else can you go by other than what you own and have come to know well.

No offense, but it is kind of a silly comment.

Dan

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

If you are in an area where there a little in the wild, what else can you go by other than what you own and have come to know well.

Plus...we tend to buy (and keep) the games we like the most. Go figure some crazy idea like that!?!?!?!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Exactly, I want a game that will last, BSD and FT are my 2 longest lasting titles so far...

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

No offense, but it is kind of a silly comment.
    Dan

That's a good point. I just think a lot of people always root for their games even when there are other games that are a better candidate. But then again... Maybe they don't get bored of a game in a month like me lol!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

That's a good point. I just think a lot of people always root for their games even when there are other games that are a better candidate. But then again... Maybe they don't get bored of a game in a month like me lol!

I agree that people tend to loss objectivity about pins when rating, but this thread isn't about the best or deepest or coolest or hardest, about which the comment would be 100 percent correct.

Beef up your skills and games get more interesting! I have found that out. What games have you gotten rid of or bored with after a month?

Dan

#41 11 years ago

To be honest, i have yet to play a pin that i have found "repetitive" I have only owned a couple pins, but have played many more. That's just me. My advice would be to simply look for a good condition machine from an honest buyer selling any game of "relative" popularity and i am sure you would enjoy it no matter what the opinion is. Plus with this market its a good investment either way. So just play

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I feel the oposite of most. Games that are deep and have a long storyline (LOTR, TSPP) are very repetitive unless they allow you to chose your own adventure or measure goals in different ways.
    I think I am liking the idea of Predator more and more just becuase of how they track each returning players stats over time.
    It is similar to how MM tracks the best joust champ, catapult champ, etc but really takes it to a whole new level of actually tracking an individual player rather than just the high score/ high # of slams. I find that one of the biggest things I will likely miss about MM is that I can really choose my own adventure/goals when stepping up to playa game and that makes it very non-repetitive. For example, just try to bash castles, just shoot for damsels, just shoot for trolls, try to do royal madness, try to rule the kingdom. Also, IMHO the goals have to be difficult enough that some are reachable but some are almost never attainable in order to keep a player both challenged and motivated to play 'just one more game'.

This is a great comment and why I think MM is fun when hitting the ramps multiple times. I wish not 10K or more for fun to own. They should have made more games like this in the past or today for that matter.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-games-that-don%e2%80%99t-get-repetitive-the-most-please-explain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.