(Topic ID: 352111)

Are there any DMD games you think do NOT look better with a color DMD?

By Doctor6

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 months ago
    Quoted from Taygeta:

All games look better with ColorDMD. There are a handful of games that have so few actual animations the $500 is not worth the upgrade, though. T2 is the only one I can think of offhand.
    Haven’t seen any of the mini-DMD DE games in color before, is it worth it with the tiny ass screen?

Yes. I have a Star Trek 25th. The only game I have with an LED display (no choice). and on this game it works. Bright, colorful, primary colors, just like the show

#52 5 months ago

Who dunnit has some of the best colored animations out there. Even Gilligan looks better with LED and it has nill animations. You have to go LED though. The LCD is dull in comparison and HD only make things worse. Its impossible in TWD to see blood when everything is red.

#53 5 months ago

I have a DE Checkpoint and think the driving animations look cool in color, but I haven't upgraded it to color DMD because the orange/red color of the original DMD reminds me of the dash lights of those 80's cars on the backglass. It's period correct as far as I'm concerned.

#54 5 months ago

I got one in my Roadshow that I am not too impressed with. Colorization lags on some animations and some look like they were not colored. Maybe that was intentional.

#55 5 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Edit: Here's a link to a short clip that looks like Met is in Scan. Might give you an idea.

Look pretty good in scan. Scan looks like shit in GOT.

#56 5 months ago

My Doctor Who pinball is great with the ColorDMD. I actually score higher with it than the original orange screen. I also like Elvira's Scared Stiff with the ColorDMD. I recently saw a White Water after the restoration and it looked better with ColorDMD. For some it is a money thing, for others it is an originality theme.

#57 5 months ago

Hook.

The LESS of that nonsense I see, the better. Ugh.

#58 5 months ago

Yes

Also Ghostbusters IMHO the red dot matrix really worked somehow.

Spider Man: Bad with the color DMD but oddly enough amazing with the LCD version. I'm unsure why.

Unexpectedly TZ is amazing with a color DMD.

#59 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tophervette:

My Doctor Who pinball is great with the ColorDMD. I actually score higher with it than the original orange screen. I also like Elvira's Scared Stiff with the ColorDMD. I recently saw a White Water after the restoration and it looked better with ColorDMD. For some it is a money thing, for others it is an originality theme.

Oh yeah, I have one in doctor who and love it.

#60 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

So far only Spider man , color dmd is no help to the animations, Stock is bad. Color dmd is not really an improvement and for 500 dollars there is other things to do with that money.

came here just to say this. Spidey is the only one I've seen so far where the color somehow makes it worse. The rest I've seen are all pretty dope.

#61 5 months ago

I've only ever played spidey with a colordmd, so I guess I don't know how the factory DMD looks but I always thought it looked fine in color

#62 5 months ago

I've always preferred the original orange DMD on my TAF. But love the color DMD on my SM Vault!!

#63 5 months ago

I never cared for the orange on my spiderman, but I sold it before putting a colorDMD in so I don't know if that would have been an improvement or not.

#64 4 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I never cared for the orange on my spiderman, but I sold it before putting a colorDMD in so I don't know if that would have been an improvement or not.

A red shield is great. Stole one out of my GOT when I changed it to color-dmd.

1 week later
    #65 4 months ago
    Quoted from Alaskanzen:

Spider Man: Bad with the color DMD but oddly enough amazing with the LCD version. I'm unsure why.

I just got my old Spidey back, and it had an LCD ColorDMD in it. It does look pretty shitty. Tron also looked shitty with LCD ColorDMD, but looks awesome with LED version. Something about the colored live action footage looks dull and muddy on LCD, but the LED individual dots make it night and vibrant. I’m guessing Spidey works the same way. I might have to switch to an LED for Spidey.

#66 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:I just got my old Spidey back, and it had an LCD ColorDMD in it. It does look pretty shitty. Tron also looked shitty with LCD ColorDMD, but looks awesome with LED version. Something about the colored live action footage looks dull and muddy on LCD, but the LED individual dots make it night and vibrant. I’m guessing Spidey works the same way. I might have to switch to an LED for Spidey.

Is this a refresh rate issue? Was also a PC gamer for a long time and refresh rate really does matter on an LCD.

#67 4 months ago

I kinda feel like it didn't add too much to Congo. It's OK, but it's a lot of green and grays. I still prefer it with, then without, for consistency in the lineup.

#68 4 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So, I always loved how TWD looked with just red and black. I've owned it both ways, but to me, the red fits the game better.
    I'm debating getting it for Who Dunnit, but from the videos I've seen, I don't love it. Anyone care to chime in, or am I crazy, here?

No.

#69 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I prefer stock over color. I am not that old but I feel like I made a transition from modern going back to nostalgia. More and more manufacturers are starting to make their machines look un appealing to me personally. More rainbow lights, speaker lights, color changing RGB with strobe effect, QR reader gumming up apron, giant LCD screens playing movies, the list goes on and on. As time passes I have begun to appreciate the older DMD games for their originality and simplicity. I now prefer(treasure) completely stock machines with preferably incandescent bulbs and stock DMD's. I do not watch the DMD unless playing a video mode and even then it is not a big deal to me as I focus on gameplay.

What he said!! Plus I can't justify the cost for 28 DMD games.

John

#70 4 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Is this a refresh rate issue? Was also a PC gamer for a long time and refresh rate really does matter on an LCD.

No, it’s just something about how LCD produces the image & color vs. the LEDs. LEDs are individual dots and are way brighter and more vibrant than LCD. With normal dots, I could go either way…but for some reason, LED makes movie footage dots look more vibrant and better. With Tron - it really makes the bright glowing “neon” type movie elements really pop, where they look murky on LCD. For example, orange cycles or the Flynn’s red neon sign look brown-ish & dull on the LCD, but bright and colorful on LED.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.