(Topic ID: 352111)

Are there any DMD games you think do NOT look better with a color DMD?

By Doctor6

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 months ago

So, I always loved how TWD looked with just red and black. I've owned it both ways, but to me, the red fits the game better.

I'm debating getting it for Who Dunnit, but from the videos I've seen, I don't love it. Anyone care to chime in, or am I crazy, here?

#2 4 months ago

Yes you're crazy; they're all much better!
    Never thought TZ would work but it did.
    Had TWD & its much more legible colored

#3 4 months ago

Literally all the games that get modernized are better.

#4 4 months ago

As long as it’s set to Dots XL, all ColorDMDs are better than monochrome.

#5 4 months ago

Bsd
    T2

#6 4 months ago

TWD is my favorite ColorDMD that I’ve played.

#7 4 months ago

I prefer Tron with the blue LED display.

#9 4 months ago

ColorDMD is pretty great on every pin I’ve had and seen it on. Nascar was the most unimpressive, but I’d still buy it if I had a Nascar.

#10 4 months ago

Agree on T2

#11 4 months ago

I’ll also say BSD, the red fits the theme.

#12 4 months ago

I haven't yet upgraded my Red and Ted's Roadshow since the orange dots look like a road sign, but I'm sure it will look better when I finally pull the trigger.

#13 4 months ago

I like the red on Luci, so I've never bothered to change it out.

#14 4 months ago

I've liked every one I've done. TZ, STTNG, TAF, ST (Stern), TOM, IJ, MM, BR.
    Could be just me though.

#15 4 months ago

Put one in whitewater doesn’t have a ton of animations so bit of a toss up.
    Bit nutty imo regarding TWD, one of the best dots to Color DMD treatments out there.

#16 4 months ago

WH2O has as many animations as other games, doesn't it?

#17 4 months ago

Party Zone is pretty poor unfortunately. Missing frames of color on some animations. Obviously miscolored frames or multiple colors on a frame when there shouldn't be.

Maverick is awesome! nerbflong is ColorDMD's finest!

#18 4 months ago

I tried it in Avatar, didn't think much of it, little or no improvement, moved it to another game. It might be partly due to the split-screen format used, but maybe the color work could have been better too.

Also didn't think much of it in Safe Cracker: I like the classic golden glow of plasma DMD on that game. Color just seemed weird in it.

#19 4 months ago

Monopoly is more "Why bother?"

#20 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

As long as it’s set to Dots XL, all ColorDMDs are better than monochrome.

This.

I won't play ColorDMD pins set on Scan mode if I can help it. Just can't look at the dot art "smeared" like that.

#21 4 months ago

All of them.

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Had one too and felt the same.

#23 4 months ago

I prefer stock over color. I am not that old but I feel like I made a transition from modern going back to nostalgia. More and more manufacturers are starting to make their machines look un appealing to me personally. More rainbow lights, speaker lights, color changing RGB with strobe effect, QR reader gumming up apron, giant LCD screens playing movies, the list goes on and on. As time passes I have begun to appreciate the older DMD games for their originality and simplicity. I now prefer(treasure) completely stock machines with preferably incandescent bulbs and stock DMD's. I do not watch the DMD unless playing a video mode and even then it is not a big deal to me as I focus on gameplay.

#24 4 months ago

My problem with the who dunnit videos I've watched is: I think the color choices they made are sorta dumb. Almost every time I want a color dmd, but I'm just not sold on this one based simply on the conversion. Maybe if I saw it in real life id change my mind.

#25 4 months ago

A color DMD is better than a plasma on every pin. HOWEVER, there are a few games where a non color DMD, like a replacement white LED looks 95% as good as a color DMD for less money. Namely Demo Man, Addams family, and T2.

#27 4 months ago

For what they charge the directions sure suck.

But I’m a fan.

#28 4 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Are there any DMD games you think do NOT look better with a color DMD?

I can't think of one. A color DMD has always been a MUST upgrade for me on every DMD game I've owned.

HUGE improvement over stock monochrome!

#29 4 months ago

If they make a schindlers list pin, I could see that being better in monochrome.

#31 4 months ago

I'd say the color dmd's for Sterns during the time of Ghostbusters, Iron Man, and Kiss are not worth getting. The way they animate the motions look blurry to me, no matter what settings I used for color. I think they look better on the original dmd. Otherwise, all my other color dmd games before then look great.

#32 4 months ago

Have you checked into Pin2dmd options for whodunnit? Its possible you may like those colorizations better, if available.

#33 4 months ago

All games look better with ColorDMD. There are a handful of games that have so few actual animations the $500 is not worth the upgrade, though. T2 is the only one I can think of offhand.

Haven’t seen any of the mini-DMD DE games in color before, is it worth it with the tiny ass screen?

#34 4 months ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I can't think of one. A color DMD has always been a MUST upgrade for me on every DMD game I've owned.
    HUGE improvement over stock monochrome!

For the most part I agree with you all.

Quoted from Haymaker:

Have you checked into Pin2dmd options for whodunnit? Its possible you may like those colorizations better, if available.

I may have to check it out.

On who dunnit, there is a scene where you see a blue ceiling window that a guy crashes through to reveal.... a red sky. What? Also a 1930s newspaper has color in it? Wrong again. And it seems like they made the texts just whatever random colors they felt like.

I may check that out. I just was left unimpressed with whomever made this conversion.

#35 4 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

For the most part I agree with you all.

I may have to check it out.
    On who dunnit, there is a scene where you see a blue ceiling window that a guy crashes through to reveal.... a red sky. What? Also a 1930s newspaper has color in it? Wrong again. And it seems like they made the texts just whatever random colors they felt like.
    I may check that out. I just was left unimpressed with whomever made this conversion.

Watching the video, it kinda seems like those choices are simply due to limitations with the coloring/resolution. For example, he falls through the window which is a blue color. If they sky was also blue, despite being a different hue, it might not have enough contrast in the colors to make it look good, therefore the red. Kind of the same thing with the newspaper, if it was all white/gray it might not look as "newspapery". Pin2dmd is capable of 64 color modes and could easily solve these issues. The problem is, first, hoping somebody has actually made these colorizations and offer them for a real pin. Finding the colorizations and being able to get a good look at them is not always the most simple task. Pin2dmd stuff is almost underground sometimes. The other problem is even if you find all the stuff you're looking for, you gotta hope the colors meet your standards. Usually these guys do a pretty good job though. The 64 color version on my Getaway looks awesome, and blows the colordmd away.

#36 4 months ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Quoted from FalconDriver:

Had one too and felt the same.

I disagree. Put one on my monopoly just after Christmas, the color file is very well done and having the colors of the properties and characters is really nice.
    I also paid <2k for my machine, so...

#37 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

BSD is stellar in color.

Absolutely especially with the ColorDMD LED display!

#38 4 months ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

This.
    I won't play ColorDMD pins set on Scan mode if I can help it. Just can't look at the dot art "smeared" like that.

I like Met in scan mode, but that's the only game. It works well with the unrefined edges of the art used for the animation.

I tried scan on Game of Thrones and hated it. Dots XL was the only way to go there.

#39 4 months ago

All look better

#40 4 months ago

But does it make you a better player

#41 4 months ago

So far only Spider man , color dmd is no help to the animations, Stock is bad. Color dmd is not really an improvement and for 500 dollars there is other things to do with that money.

#42 4 months ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I like Met in scan mode, but that's the only game. It works well with the unrefined edges of the art used for the animation.
    I tried scan on Game of Thrones and hated it. Dots XL was the only way to go there.

Hmm I was going to get LED for MET. Now you have me doubting myself.

#43 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

So far only Spider man , color dmd is no help to the animations, Stock is bad. Color dmd is not really an improvement and for 500 dollars there is other things to do with that money.

Man, it shocks me just how terrible the animations really are on Spider-Man. Every 90s game I can think of has significantly better animations.

#44 4 months ago

Color dmd tend to multiply when you have your collection all lined up. As you look at them the original just looks out of place .

#45 4 months ago

I was impressed with Creech (it works)...Shadow was cool (a must)...TFTC is a must...Airborne really blew me away...but I just haven't felt the same with Safe Cracker...it's still a regular orange plasma...that also said, my SOF and Transporter are non-orange LED displays now (Blue & Red respectively)....

#46 4 months ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

Party Zone is pretty poor unfortunately. Missing frames of color on some animations. Obviously miscolored frames or multiple colors on a frame when there shouldn't be.
    Maverick is awesome! nerbflong is ColorDMD's finest!

Just picked up a Maverick, good to know! Might spring for one as I enjoy it a lot.

Quoted from Taygeta:

All games look better with ColorDMD. There are a handful of games that have so few actual animations the $500 is not worth the upgrade, though. T2 is the only one I can think of offhand.
    Haven’t seen any of the mini-DMD DE games in color before, is it worth it with the tiny ass screen?

I think so, those 16x128 are goofy and they packed a lot into them so they could beat Williams to the punch. Colorization helps a lot.

#47 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Hmm I was going to get LED for MET. Now you have me doubting myself.

My wife bought me an LED for Met and I had the LCD in Game of Thrones. I switched them so GoT had the dots(LED) and Met could use the Scan or DotsXL. I stuck with the Scan for Met. I'm not sure what the price difference is now, but I typically like the LCD for the variety of modes. Others don't like that the LCD has to sit back from the panel a little bit, but it never bothered me.

Edit: Here's a link to a short clip that looks like Met is in Scan. Might give you an idea.

#48 4 months ago

The only one I'm disappointed with is Johnny Mnemonic. The blue is hard to see and there's a weird transition where text starts off a yellow and switches to the blue. I may swap that one into another game and put JM back to plasma orange.

#49 4 months ago

Lots of people mention T2 where it would not be worth it. Maybe true for the more costly ColorDMD. I replaced my plasma with a Pin2DMD after the HV section got fried. I cannot imagine going back! It looks so much better! Nice thing about Pin2DMD is that you can adapt the colors and I changed it to reflect the colors used on the back box and playfield.

#50 4 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

But does it make you a better player

In IJ the mine cart barricades are white (I think, at least a lighter color). The contrast color makes it easier to see and avoid them.
    That's one that comes to mind.

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.