163484CE-2D35-478B-819C-E6F81331CC12 (resized).jpeg
FD0E0EC3-5F50-4FB5-8EC0-FC2542D094AF (resized).jpeg
Resized_20201213_150102.jpeg
DSC06109 (800x534) (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
8F105B57-9E42-4AD8-BD09-5154A755D745 (resized).jpeg
11BEA875-812D-4442-A595-3D47840C7F83 (resized).png
Queens Gambit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 3 years ago

I play chess and have since high school. I don't have chess computer, but I have a nice electronic clock and a nice regulation board with heavy pieces. I am an ok player, but I am not playing for money. I used to be in a local chess club, but I have not participated for several years. I have not had anyone to play since I stopped going to the club. I had a rating I think around 1400 at one time, but I have no idea if that still exists or not. People in my family are easily discouraged when they loose and aren't really interested in learning much, so I don't get to exercise that part of my brain. I have started watching this series on Netflix about the Queens Gambit and I find it very interesting. I can easy see how the young lady was obsessed with learning chess and purchasing a set. I had a similar trait at one time. But I never had to use tranquilizers. That seems rather odd, like OCD odd.

1 week later
#33 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

She is/was a figment of the author's imagination. Watching those chess pieces come down from the ceiling was a nice movie touch, IMO.
The same author also wrote a book that became a movie that starred Paul Newman. "The Hustler" in 1961 .

I saw a news story recently that Netflix estimates that 62 million people watched at least 2 minutes of the Queens Gambit Series.
The result was apparently an increase in the purchase of chess sets and such.
I have to admit that I started looking for my old copy of Modern Chess Openings (13th addition) and when I could not find it, I asked for it as a Christmas gift.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Might want to sub Fundamental Chess Openings by Paul van der Sterren instead. It seems easier to read to me and aimed more at class players. Look for it on Amazon. Also, since Queens Gambit has aired, new and used copies of MCO have become hot items. I am always perusing ebay for rare chess books and have noticed many copies of MCO with inflated prices. You can find MCO-6 from the 1960s on Amazon, but that is very dated.
Items at uscfsales.com are on sale today through November 29th, it is usually their best sale of the year. Books, software, sets, boards, even those pricey chess computers, all 20% off. You can find similar sales at New in Chess, and Everyman books has a big ebook sale right now.

My better half told me that she found Modern Chess Openings (13th addition) for $7.25 (used) somewhere.
I told her that would be a great Christmas gift for me.
The new copies were like $160 and I just made a screwed up face at that price and made some comment like "no way, that is stupid".
It's not like I am going to read every notation and every page anyway, so an older version is fine for me and used is ok too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-chess-players-here-?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.