163484CE-2D35-478B-819C-E6F81331CC12 (resized).jpeg
FD0E0EC3-5F50-4FB5-8EC0-FC2542D094AF (resized).jpeg
Resized_20201213_150102.jpeg
DSC06109 (800x534) (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
8F105B57-9E42-4AD8-BD09-5154A755D745 (resized).jpeg
11BEA875-812D-4442-A595-3D47840C7F83 (resized).png
Queens Gambit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago

Never was able to wrap my mind around chess, but I have been into Go for a few decades.
Sometimes I like watching the 9P players give commentary on the AlphaGo (the top rated go computer) games

1 month later
#39 3 years ago

I love the story of sales skyrocketing thanks to the show. A certain percentage of people inspired to pick it up again will continue with it, and I'd say that's a net positive. And it's not like some kind of plastic junk product fad that will end up in a landfill, chess sets can be out for decoration to inspire kids, and if no longer desired they are easy to find homes for, with minimal chance of being ruined. (some pieces will get lost, and perhaps some sets destroyed, but the life span of a chess set is very long. Same thing with those guitars under the bed really, they'll most likely stay in good condition and can be readily absorbed into the market again)

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

True confessions time, I understood the rules of chess at an early age, but found it frustrating trying to think more than one or two moves ahead, my brain would fog up in a most unfamiliar and disconcerting way.

Fast forward to now, and it's painfully obvious that it was an early indication of my attention deficit disorder, not diagnosed until decades later. Man, if I could have been treated for the then-unknown problem, who knows where I'd be today?

I was the same way about the brain-fog feeling when I was younger, but then as a teenager I really took to go. Maybe it was the teenage-year drugs? But I there was definitely some conceptual aspect of chess that didn't gel with me.

also post your old chess computers here first for us to gawk, pls?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-chess-players-here-?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.