(Topic ID: 137595)

Calgary Pinball League/Tournies (SCPL,SBW,CPE)

By TBatti

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by TBatti
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will Wes repeat as champion?”

• Yes 2 votes
    67%
  • No 1 vote
    33%

(3 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181211_211514 (resized).jpg
20181211_210652 (resized).jpg
real and spectuclar (resized).jpg
SCPL 'Pioneer' Season 5 (Fall 2018)_ Results_ Meet #6.pdf (PDF preview)
20181128_194924 (resized).jpg
20181128_194624 (resized).jpg
20181128_194921 (resized).jpg
standings (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
12977235_10154130730043910_8366275029900218938_o_(resized).jpg
20160427_200420_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_0126_(resized).JPG
IMG_0209_(resized).JPG

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Sheesh Tony wins one (for a change) and out comes the trash-talkin' eh??
You should come down to the tournament night on Wed. Tony, we'll separate the "playa's" from the players... lol.

I may show up if my oldest Xavier can't make the tourney. I need to ensure I finish ahead of him one night.

7 months later
#152 10 months ago

Season 5 http://scp.league.papa.org/meetResults/7/4

Was hoping to get some understanding of how the groupings work from week to week.

Some examples Adam in week 3 is in Div C non-playoff and then goes to Div B playoffs week 4.

Ken goes from Div B non-playoff to Div C Week 4 non-playoff

Eric goes from Div D 1st week 3 to Div C 1st week 4.

I'm trying to understand how you jump Div's. I got more points than some in Week 4 and have higher IFPA points than people in B if that means anything but don't move up or down I guess for that matter and started lower. Just want to understand how this works. Thank you.

#153 10 months ago

TBatti: the division assignments are based on the "Div Avg Ladder" column shown in the Overall Standings. That number is the arithmetic average of each player's ladder position (possibly excluding the first couple and last couple meets of the season -- don't remember Stampede's exact ruleset right now) ... the top seed in group 1 is ladder #1, down to the bottom player in group 12 who looks to be ladder #47. So this is somewhat based on your initial seed, but thereafter is based on weekly performance... finishing top two in a group moves you to a higher group (and thus, a ladder position closer to 1), while finishing in the bottom two in the group goes in the other direction. This movement tends to bubble players of similar skill to play each another. Division assignment is then done simply by sorting all the players according to Div Avg Ladder, and chopping into evenly sized divisions.

The easier-to-visualize, though less rigorous explanation is: players who mostly play in the top 1/5 of groups will be in A division... players who mostly play in the next 1/5 of groups will be in B division... and so on.

In your particular case, you've had a lose-win-lose-win pattern in your groups over the season so far... you generally won't move up divisions without stringing together top-two finishes in your groups for at least a couple meets in a row.

Hope this helps!

#154 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

TBatti: the division assignments are based on the "Div Avg Ladder" column shown in the Overall Standings. That number is the arithmetic average of each player's ladder position (possibly excluding the first couple and last couple meets of the season -- don't remember Stampede's exact ruleset right now) ... the top seed in group 1 is ladder #1, down to the bottom player in group 12 who looks to be ladder #47. So this is somewhat based on your initial seed, but thereafter is based on weekly performance... finishing top two in a group moves you to a higher group (and thus, a ladder position closer to 1), while finishing in the bottom two in the group goes in the other direction. This movement tends to bubble players of similar skill to play each another. Division assignment is then done simply by sorting all the players according to Div Avg Ladder, and chopping into evenly sized divisions.
The easier-to-visualize, though less rigorous explanation is: players who mostly play in the top 1/5 of groups will be in A division... players who mostly play in the next 1/5 of groups will be in B division... and so on.
In your particular case, you've had a lose-win-lose-win pattern in your groups over the season so far... you generally won't move up divisions without stringing together top-two finishes in your groups for at least a couple meets in a row.
Hope this helps!

Thank you. Helps a bit. I also see the issue, which was I was put in poor placement in the division ladder to start which makes it that much harder to move up. My positioning for league prior year, NACS Calgary, and IFPA Calgary rankings the past year are all above ~ 28th player (group 7) which was where I was put to start.

#155 10 months ago

Ready for round 3 in week 5 bud? allicks

#156 10 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Ready for round 3 in week 5 bud? allicks

Indeed Tony, indeed!!

#157 10 months ago
Quoted from allicks:

Indeed Tony, indeed!!

with you, Garth, Scott and myself we could live stream it and do a PPV. It should be entertaining, well at least the commentary will be maybe not the pinball. lol
allicks

Just need algrande in there as well.

#158 10 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

I also see the issue, which was I was put in poor placement in the division ladder to start which makes it that much harder to move up. My positioning for league prior year, NACS Calgary, and IFPA Calgary rankings the past year are all above ~ 28th player (group 7) which was where I was put to start.

Actually, to my eye, it seems like you were seeded very well. You've lost group 7 twice and won group 8 twice, so that suggests your performance level is right in that range. Also, your season outscored % (comparison of your machine scores against everyone else's for the whole season, even folks not in your group) is 49.09%, suggesting that your scores are right in the middle of the pack... which is also right about where you're seeded.

Good luck in the remaining weeks!

#159 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Actually, to my eye, it seems like you were seeded very well. You've lost group 7 twice and won group 8 twice, so that suggests your performance level is right in that range. Also, your season outscored % (comparison of your machine scores against everyone else's for the whole season, even folks not in your group) is 49.09%, suggesting that your scores are right in the middle of the pack... which is also right about where you're seeded.
Good luck in the remaining weeks!

All my previous and current rankings have me between 13th-19th. This is on a sample size of 18 months or so. I did play poorly on those weeks true but being somewhere around 9 spots or more to start caused it to be more difficult on the starting ladder I was given and the results so far are based on a sample size of 4 nights vs 18 months which also has a higher standard deviation. There are also a number of initial higher ladder positions below 49.09%. End of the day my initial starting ladder is what the issue is and not the system which is ok. I appreciate the feedback, thank you. ferret

#160 10 months ago

Okey-dokey. I don't know how your league does its initial seeding. In FSPA, we do week 1 seeding of players based on their season outscored % in the most recent season they played (with new/unknown players seeded as if they were 50%). If y'all do something similar, that may be a factor here, since you had a 43.58% last season. Otherwise... I dunno!

#162 10 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Okey-dokey. I don't know how your league does its initial seeding. In FSPA, we do week 1 seeding of players based on their season outscored % in the most recent season they played (with new/unknown players seeded as if they were 50%). If y'all do something similar, that may be a factor here, since you had a 43.58% last season. Otherwise... I dunno!

Possibly. 13th last season. Would be good to have this information though. Thanks.

3 weeks later
#163 10 months ago

SCORING

I know a lot of us are not sure how scoring works (myself included) but I thought I'd transpose the scoring system here for people.

5. Scoring
It is each player’s responsibility to be sure that their machine scores are recorded correctly on the scoresheet as each game is finished. Any possible scoring errors should be brought to the attention of the SLO as soon as possible. Once notified of a possible error, the SLO shall contact all the players in the affected group to determine their recollection of the scoring. If all players are in agreement, then the scoring will be corrected. However, if all players in the group do not concur with the reported error, then the scores as written on the scoresheet shall stand.

5.1 Game Points
For two-player games, the winner of the game is awarded three (3) points. A bonus point is awarded to the winner if his score exceeds three times the loser’s score. Otherwise, the bonus point is given to the loser.

For three-player games, the winner is awarded three (3) points, and the second-place player gets two (2) points. A bonus point is awarded to the winner if he exceeds the sum of the second- and third-place player’s scores. Otherwise, the bonus point is given to the third-place player.

For four-player games, the winner is awarded three (3) points, the second-place player two (2) points, and the third-place player one (1) point. One bonus point is allocated to either the first- or third-place player, as in a three-player match. Another bonus point is given to the second-place player if his score exceeds the sum of the third- and fourth-place players. Otherwise, the second bonus point is given to the fourth-place player.

Any ties in machine score will be resolved by a one ball playoff between the affected players on the same machine. If this does not resolve the tie, the playoff game continues, one ball at a time, until the tie is broken. All extra balls are unallowable and must be plunged during the tiebreaker playoff; points earned on the plunged ball count. The tiebreaker playoff affects the finish order but not the recorded machine scores for the original game.

5.2 Effective Points
To prevent players from being misgrouped due to game forfeits, any player who forfeits games of a match will receive two (2) effective points for each game forfeited. Players with valid scores for a game will receive effective points equal to their actual league point count for that game. Effective points are used solely for determining grouping.

5.3 Match Bonus Points
Match bonus points are awarded at the end of a league match to increase the reward of winning the overall match, and to keep players competitive through the end of the final game. Match bonus points have the same value as game points in determining league standings.

After all four games of a match are played, the actual (not effective) league points for the players are totaled. Match bonus points are allocated by treating these totals as machine scores for a “fifth” game. Match bonus points are awarded in a similar manner as game points. However, there is a difference in 4 player groups. The first match bonus point will be awarded to the first place player if he equals or exceeds the sum of the second and third place players’ scores; otherwise, the first match bonus point is awarded to the third place player. Likewise, the second match bonus point will be awarded to the second place player if he equals or exceeds the sum of the third and fourth place players’ scores; otherwise, the second match bonus point is awarded to the fourth place player.

In the event of a tie, finish order on the last game played by the tied players is used as a tiebreaker.

Players who forfeit three or more games in a match are not eligible to receive match bonus points for that match, and these players will be excluded from the match bonus point calculation for their group.

#164 9 months ago

I actually did the numbers and mine agree to what was posted today for my weekly group. At least I'm doing something right since my pinballing isn't, lol.

http://scp.league.papa.org/meetResults/7/6

#165 9 months ago

tbatti i think you are a great pinball player and you should not discredit your skills... one day you will do better than Xavier.... one day

#166 9 months ago
Quoted from brikskwad:

tbatti i think you are a great pinball player and you should not discredit your skills... one day you will do better than Xavier.... one day

He'll need to be sponsored moving forward. He's grounded.

Sorry I need to retype, missed a "h"

He'll neehd to be sphonsored moving fhorward. He's grhounded.

#167 9 months ago
Quoted from brikskwad:

I donno. I think Tony might have peaked already judging by last night's games...

Plus, he doesn't rage tilt enough!

#168 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I donno. I think Tony might have peaked already judging by last night's games...
Plus, he doesn't rage tilt enough!

If I had a stopwatch for waiting for the bobber to stop after Ken was done every ball the battery would have died last night.

#169 9 months ago
Quoted from brikskwad:

Xavier is mad at you. You fired me up to knock another score of his off on WW and maxed the tolls.

20181128_194624 (resized).jpg20181128_194921 (resized).jpg

20181128_194924 (resized).jpg
#170 9 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Xavier is mad at you. You fired me up to knock another score of his off on WW and maxed the tolls.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice!

...or did Scott leave the glass off again?

#171 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Nice!
...or did Scott leave the glass off again?

You may need glasses if you think that's Scott's

#172 9 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

You may need glasses if you think that's Scott's

Ohhh, I get it. That's your home game. Looks like the GI is out.

#173 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Ohhh, I get it. That's your home game. Looks like the GI is out.

No just the angle and camera setting. Scott's is the one where the GI is always out lol.

#174 9 months ago

Does anyone know if the divisions are locked going into the last week or can you still jump up/down? dangerdangertilt

#175 9 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Does anyone know if the divisions are locked going into the last week or can you still jump up/down? dangerdangertilt

Locked in now.

#176 9 months ago
Quoted from pingod:

Locked in now.

ok because people moved in week 6 and last week is week 7.

SCPL 'Pioneer' Season 5 (Fall 2018)_ Results_ Meet #6.pdf
#177 9 months ago

And your point is ?
You can move in your locked in group still.
Just can't change divisions now.

#178 9 months ago
Quoted from pingod:

And your point is ?

In fact, I’m planning to move from near the bottom of B div to the near the very top tonight! It’s going to be spectacular!

#179 9 months ago
Quoted from pingod:

And your point is ?

Yes, I mean divisions. People moved right to the last week this year. I remember part way through in the past the movement was locked earlier. Maybe because it was 10 weeks way back when. I see the rules say locked 3 weeks before the season ends but we must have a different set up with a short season maybe? All good just confirming.

"Division determination is finalized at the end of the third-to-last meet each season, which allows for two meets of direct competition for playoff qualification before the season ends. "

#180 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

In fact, I’m planning to move from near the bottom of B div to the near the very top tonight! It’s going to be spectacular!

Only time I recall anything real and "spectacular" was on Seinfeld

real and spectuclar (resized).jpg
#181 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

haha..you might have a chance since I will not be there

#182 9 months ago
Quoted from algrande:

haha..you might have a chance since I will not be there

Likley you'll finish first by not attending.

#183 9 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Likley you'll finish first by not attending.

I do deserve it

1 week later
#184 9 months ago

Congrats to all the social league winners. Xavier is pretty happy 2nd in B as a 14 year old. 1 shot away in Diner for 1st.

20181211_210652 (resized).jpg

#185 9 months ago

Someone put their knife cutting paw in the way lol dangerdangertilt

20181211_211514 (resized).jpg

#186 9 months ago

...the pinball wasn't spectacular (on my end), but at least the cake was delicious.

#187 9 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

...the pinball wasn't spectacular (on my end), but at least the cake was delicious.

What about that 3 bucks you won on TNA

1 month later
#188 8 months ago

Season 6 tomorrow boys and girls!

#189 8 months ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Season 6 tomorrow boys and girls!

There's always next year! Oh wait - it IS next year.

5 months later
#190 79 days ago

Two events coming up in Calgary

https://www.facebook.com/events/2429540363792013/

Pingolf at Pinbar Stampede weekend JULY 13th. Lets' get everyone out while you're in town for Stampede.

TOURNEY TIME
This Wednesday, July 3rd at Woods Well Calgary.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2214068035550388/

#191 79 days ago
Quoted from TBatti:

Two events coming up in Calgary
https://www.facebook.com/events/2429540363792013/
Pingolf at Pinbar Stampede weekend JULY 13th. Lets' get everyone out while you're in town for Stampede.
TOURNEY TIME
This Wednesday, July 3rd at Woods Well Calgary.
https://www.facebook.com/events/2214068035550388/

I can't make it to either of them
You have a chance now Tony, lol

2 months later
#192 13 days ago

Great for casual league for beginners and kids. Kids are only $5 and games are on free play.

https://www.facebook.com/events/877686529283305/

SILVERBALL WIZARDS episode 6
Start Date: Sept 7th
Finals: October 19th

Where: Pin-Bar
501 17 Avenue S.W Calgary
When: Every Saturday (Sept 7 - Oct 19)
Doors: 11am

-Takes place every Saturday @ 12:30. Free-play practice begins at 11:00. League is played in the backroom @ Pinbar.
-$10 per week, $5 for U-18.
-6 sessions: Drop lowest week, 5 of 6 sessions count towards final standings to qualify for playoffs. A player must attend 3 of 6 sessions to be eligible for IFPA submission and to participate in the League Championship.
-5 games played in groups of 4 (or 3). 7/5/3/1 scoring (or 7/4/1 if group of 3). Opponents: Balanced. Machine selection: Balanced. Player order: Random
-Playoff format same as Episode 5
Guests are welcome if there are spaces available, league players take priority with the 32 player cap

#193 13 days ago

Every 2nd Wednesday. This was one of the largest leagues last year. Starting Sept 18th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/528719534560159/

Stampede City Pinball League presents a fun and friendly IFPA registered league every second Wednesday night at Pin-Bar. $20 entry fee for season prizing, but drop-ins/guests always welcome for no cost (with machine play on on coin drop). Each night sign-up closes at 7pm for 7:30pm start.

Group matchplay format league with balanced 4-player groups playing 5 rounds each meet. IFPA scoring. Best 5 of 6 meets count towards finals. Finals and prizing equally split by skill divisions based on IFPA ranking after meet #5.

Email stampedecitypinball@gmail.com to sign-up, or just come on out!

https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=35814

Meet #1 Sept 18, 2019
Meet #2 Oct 2, 2019
Meet #3 Oct 16, 2019
Meet #4 Oct 30, 2019
Meet #5 Nov 13, 2019
Meet #6 Nov 27, 2019
Finals Dec 11, 2019

#194 13 days ago

The next tournament at the WoodsWell is THURSDAY September 12 for qualifying. THURSDAY September 26 is playoffs and 7 strike.

#195 13 days ago

We will also have more announcements soon for our regular IFPA tournaments.
That used to run on every other Wednesday.
Same set up as Tbatti's post above.
Look for more games, bigger location.
Should be able to have 50 or more players easily, per night.

#196 7 days ago
Quoted from pingod:

We will also have more announcements soon for our regular IFPA tournaments.
That used to run on every other Wednesday.
Same set up as Tbatti's post above.
Look for more games, bigger location.
Should be able to have 50 or more players easily, per night.

https://www.facebook.com/events/511572516311560/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
$ 199.99
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside