(Topic ID: 71204)

Are there any " Add a ball" Multiplayer Em's?

By Mercury

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by stashyboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

198378_352377811525807_1724348586_n.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Just wonder if there are MP that award extra balls instead of a free game?

#2 10 years ago

Ship Ahoy, Sky Kings, Bank Shot- just off the top of my head.
Sure there are lots more.

#3 10 years ago

All Single Player tho

#4 10 years ago

Solar City is a convertible game. 2 player with the option of AAB or Replay. There are other Gottlieb pins with this feature.

#5 10 years ago

Pleasure Isle and I believe Lariat are mult-player AAB games.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Solar City is a convertible game. 2 player with the option of AAB or Replay. There are other Gottlieb pins with this feature.

I believe that would be only one extra ball per ball in play though.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe that would be only one extra ball per ball in play though.

Yes, that would be correct. This EM does not have counter for the add a ball.
On the Instruction Card, the bottom line has the following on it. Maximum 1 extra ball per ball in pay.

#8 10 years ago

Here you go. A lot more than I thought. With many for export only and one SS machine (Speakeasy).

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?specialty=1&pl=2&searchtype=advanced

#9 10 years ago

Big Top 64 Gottlieb. Multiplayer AAB

-Jeff

#10 10 years ago

Gottlieb "Super Duo" Add a Ball 2 player for the Italian market . Same game as "Super Score" with slightly different backglass art . see the pictures of mine on Ipdb. The stars light up (Top Left) to show the balls won and clear window in backglass is write the top score in with crayon or similar. Jay Stafford from the ipdb has told me this is quite a rare 2 player Add A Ball as gottlieb only made a few AAB 2 player games

198378_352377811525807_1724348586_n.jpg198378_352377811525807_1724348586_n.jpg
#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Gottlieb "Super Duo" Add a Ball 2 player for the Italian market . Same game as "Super Score" with slightly different backglass art . see the pictures of mine on Ipdb. The stars light up (Top Left) to show the balls won and clear window in backglass is write the top score in with crayon or simular. Sorry about the low quality image as this was from my facebook page , Jay Stafford from the ipdb told me this is quite a rare 2 player Add A Ball as gottlieb only made a few AAB 2 player games

Super Duo.jpg 21 KB

"The ball count unit" is called the "Advance backbox light unit" to help fool the police, as you were not allowed in Italy at that time to win free games or extra balls.

#12 10 years ago

Some people get funny about the AAB definition. There three types of free ball awards:

1. "True" AABs, the ball counter goes up to 10. You can be on your last ball and, if you have a banner ball, get all the way back to 10 balls. Subway is an example, as are the "Flipper" series.

2. "WOW" type AABs. You get 5 balls and up to 5 WOWs. Once your ball counter goes down, it never goes back up, but your WOW counter will. So you can be on your last ball and get 5 WOWs to have a total of 6 balls available. You can see this favors the house over style 1, but it requires an additional ball stepper unit.

3. "Free Ball" type games. You can get a (only one) free ball (Same player shoots again light), for any ball. This is they type used in mutlitplayer games such as Spirit of 76 or Shipmates. Really, is isn't practical to keep track of more than one set of balls on a mutliplayer EM, and this method only requires a relay and a trough switch.

IMO, 1 and 2 are AABs, 3 isn't. Some people say only 1 is and some say that all three are.

YMMV.

#13 10 years ago

Williams Smarty was the add-a-ball version of Ding Dong. Ding Dong is great fun; one of my fave em's.

#14 10 years ago

Sorry, single player.

#15 10 years ago

Just recently picked up a Williams Lucky Ace.
My first #1 type add a ball. (Sorry, single player only).
It is possible to load it all the way up to 10 balls, but that would be a truly rare event.
The game plays fast and furious for an EM and I love it.

#16 10 years ago

2-player Chicago Coin Hula Hula will add extra balls.

#17 10 years ago

Yea, Gottlieb's marketing of 'Convertible to Add-a-ball' was quite misleading. Really you were only winning an extra ball just as you would with some of those multi-players anyway......... One of my games had a silver sticker over the replay counter window and was set up that way (looked like factory to me) Assume this was for an operator who wanted to squeeze the quarters out of their customers! I changed it to replay as these games really play better that way with the originally intended awards-IMO. Several opinions on 'Wow' games rationale exist. Less generous/shorter game times, or made to satisfy european market restrictions, etc. There are also games that are labeled with 'wow' but still use a 1-10 ball count unit such as Gold Strike. The year before they truly switched over to having separate ball count and wow counters (Bank Shot being one example). Fascinating stuff for a rainy day before T-Giving........

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Venice, Florida, FL
$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Venice, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-add-a-ball-multiplayer-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.