(Topic ID: 31120)

Are the Flipper Fidelity Kits worth if you don't blast your pins?

By rockinganker

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 85vett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_video_#_1_005.JPG
    Tron_video_#_1_002.JPG
    Tron_video_#_1_001.JPG
    23794879.jpg
    b4dalock.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Unless I have a lot of people over, I only turn on one machine at a time to play it. It's just me and the Mrs. at home anymore, and she doesn't play unless I ask her.
    Do you actually turn your whole game room on at once? That's pretty cool if you do..

I usually turn two on when I am alone. It forces me to play them both. Sometimes I will turn more on alone and play them all.

#52 11 years ago

I'll often turn on all three but only the one I'm playing makes any noise (attract sounds off).

#53 11 years ago

I know you are, but what am I?

The recipient of the coveted B-R Blue Boot Award.
    Have a nice Bidet.

23794879.jpg23794879.jpg

#54 11 years ago

Yes, especially the benefits of the large sub woofer which in some games can give you that shaker feel.

#55 11 years ago

Better sound depends a lot on the original sound ROM quality. System 11 games are not noted for their acoustic quality and DCS sound games, with good effects sounds great on decent speakers.

I do not have my sound cranked way up but the games I upgraded speakers in all sound a LOT better with better speakers, even at lower levels. Whirlwind, TAF & HS2 all were improved using speakers and parts from Parts Express.

If the sound is crappy at low volume levels it usually does not get better cranked up.

#56 11 years ago

You know this is a good thread when someone loses their composure and gets banned from site for multiple replies to a single post.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Do you actually turn your whole game room on at once? That's pretty cool if you do..

I usually turn on all my pins when I play, it creates an old school arcade feeling for me. I also turn on all attract modes-nothing like Dracula talking smack when I'm playing AC/DC!

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

I usually turn on all my pins when I play, it creates an old school arcade feeling for me. I also turn on all attract modes-nothing like Dracula talking smack when I'm playing AC/DC!

I can either afford pinball machines, or electricity.... .NOT BOTH!

#59 11 years ago

I believe this is the first time I've read that the stock backbox speakers in Tron are cheaper than older Stern machines. I had previously read the backbox speakers were sufficient and replacing them with a FF kit would not show much improvement.

I have been looking at using an external powered sub, but if the backbox speakers could be improved as well, I might go with a FF kit. I have them in some of my WPC machines, and I really like them.

#60 11 years ago

I admittedly don't know much about the inner workings of pinball audio, but I know audio in general. Like Markmon is says, the problem is that you can't make bad source audio sound that much better with nicer amps, equalization, and speakers. We call it garbage in - garbage out. There are little things you can do with EQ etc to marginally increase quality, but if your source quality is not up to par, then the advantages are minimal. These newer sterns may be using 32 bit 96khz audio sources for all I know but the WPC's aren't anything where I think you're going to get a huge advantage (aside from the added bass of a sub). If the newer Sterns are putting out CD quality sound or better you might see some advantage there.

#61 11 years ago

where is the attract mode setting in newer Sterns?

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I believe this is the first time I've read that the stock backbox speakers in Tron are cheaper than older Stern machines. I had previously read the backbox speakers were sufficient and replacing them with a FF kit would not show much improvement.
    I have been looking at using an external powered sub, but if the backbox speakers could be improved as well, I might go with a FF kit. I have them in some of my WPC machines, and I really like them.

Even though they are cheaper, I don't swap them out. Only in acdc where there is actual treble. For pinball sound, the 4" do ok for the mid range only sounds. It might sous slightly better with a replacement kit but will be hard to tell. Sub portion is huge though.

1 week later
    #63 11 years ago

so for those with the added FF volume control... where do you like to set it? I've added it to SM... but I just keep changing it. I just can't make up my mind where it sounds better. I know it's all personal opinion... but just wondering. BTW - I have upgraded backbox and sub. thx

1 week later
    #64 11 years ago

*Update*

Kit arrived yesterday and I installed it in my Tron this evening. Very easy install, it took less than 15 minutes total.

My thoughts. The overall sound and bass are better and you can hear sounds that you could not before. I did have to turn the volume up after install as stated by markmon earlier.

I keep both of my machines set low compared to most pinheads (see above) and I would not buy another set for my LOTR or any other machine that joins my lineup. At the lower setting there is a difference but IMO, not enough to warrant cost. If you crank it up, this kit is awesome and the added base really fits this machine.

I will keep this set but will not be purchasing any other sound kits down the line.

I want to thank Michael for his great customer service.

#65 11 years ago

My NIB Tron Pro sounded like CRAP ,, until I installed the FF 3-Speaker Kit .. Well Worth the $$ !!

Tron_video_#_1_001.JPGTron_video_#_1_001.JPG Tron_video_#_1_002.JPGTron_video_#_1_002.JPG Tron_video_#_1_005.JPGTron_video_#_1_005.JPG

#66 11 years ago

Couldn't agree more with you. I just put my set in my TFLE about a week ago and can't tell a difference at all at the levels I was listening to the machine at before. When I first intalled them I had the pin turned up for a couple of days but after lowering back down to my previous volume my excitement left a bit. If I crank it back up the pin sounds outstanding with the biggest difference being the bass but I catch myself wishing I spent the money elswhere since I don't play my pins that loud unless I get one of those rare occasions where I have the house to myself.

The quality of the kit and speakers is great but I was hoping for a crisper sounds at lower volumes too. Maybe one day I'll get a dedicated room for the pins so that I can crank them up but for now it didn't satisfy my goal.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-the-flipper-fidelity-kits-worth-if-you-dont-blast-your-pins/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.