(Topic ID: 41)

Are the dot matrix glare guards worth the 15 bucks?

By dglover4569

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mmuglia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0010.JPG
    RFM.jpg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Has anyone tried the glare guards yet? Just curious if it improves the game play at all.

thanks!

1 week later
    #2 11 years ago

Never mind about the glare guards! Real players can fight the glare, and play by sense of smell!!! You guys don't bother with such wimpy enhancements!

4 years later
    #3 7 years ago
    Quoted from dglover4569:

Has anyone tried the glare guards yet?

yes, I like them on games with an upper playfield like TS or TSPP.

#4 7 years ago

I couldn't live without them on DMD games. You need a shroud on the florescent tube though to defeat that type of glare (i.e. stern games).

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from maldoror:

You need a shroud on the florescent tube though to defeat that type of glare (i.e. stern games).

I ended up using this crome duct repair tape stuff on one of mine and it works great! With out it, its just too dang bright. I'd get glare across the entire PF!

#6 7 years ago

Great product, I have them on all my DMD games.

#7 7 years ago

yup, have them on all my games. Great product from a great person!

#8 7 years ago

I am a huge fan - don't seem to need them on the new LED versions

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

yes, I like them on games with an upper playfield like TS or TSPP.

Nice bump of a 4 year old thread!

#10 7 years ago

Better late than never, right.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Better late than never, right.

True.

Pinside was so dead 4 years ago that nobody ever responded to his question, even after the OP bumped his own thread.

Of course I don't think the OP will get much value out of our replies since he hasn't posted here in over two years.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Nice bump of a 4 year old thread!

With the resurgence of 3yr old threads, I thought it appropriate

Quoted from RobT:

Of course I don't think the OP will get much value out of our replies since he hasn't posted here in over two years.

Of course, hes still not "retired" so there is hope he may return.

#13 7 years ago

Guards are necessary on Frankenstein. Love the big DMD otherwise, but I moved my 1 guard to JP and forgot to move it back, and could barely play a game without it.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Guards are necessary on Frankenstein. Love the big DMD otherwise, but I moved my 1 guard to JP and forgot to move it back, and could barely play a game without it.

I am one guard shy of my whole DMD collection.. Goldeneye is currently guardless, but I plan to buy one from a friend soon to remedy this.

#15 7 years ago

Never used one, but I'll give it a try after reading this thread.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Never used one, but I'll give it a try after reading this thread.

it really depends on the game, but after a time, I just got one for every DMD I have. Some it works great, others its just "ok" but all of them seem to improve the visibility somewhat.

Invisiglass or w/e is the only true way to get rid of glare all together.. so I guess this could be considered the poor man's invisiglass..

#17 7 years ago

On topic: the DMD Glare Guards that Kim sells are the best bang for the buck "mod" that you will ever make to your pin.

I've said that a time or two in the past.

#18 7 years ago

I have them on all my games. There's always something interesting on the upper part of the playfield that gets "blocked" by DMD orange...STTNG's Borg ship, Congo's Amy & Volcano, TSPPs upper playfield & Homer head, LOTR's Ring/Modes, etc etc etc. With the glare guard, all those things are crystal clear. I've never really been bothered by backglass glare, only DMD reflection...so this product works perfectly for me.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

the DMD Glare Guards that Kim sells

Do you have a link?

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

it really depends on the game,

Yeah some games need them, some games don't. They can come in handy for sure.

#22 7 years ago

Really looking forward to the P3 ushering a new age of 'no glare' pinball machines. Display in the PF and no (or optional) backbox means no longer will the pinball experience be marred by distracting layers of pointlessness. No need for PDI/Invisiglass either! And the best part of no backbox is other people can watch you play standing at the other end of the table.

"Ooh but it won't match my existing tables..." GET OVER IT! Backboxes were designed as huge billboards to attract customers to play the game in a busy arcade. It's in your home now, it doesn't need that anymore!

Sorry, I think I got off the subject a little...

#23 7 years ago

I have the glare guards on all my pins and love them...you won't even see them once you have them on...

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

And the best part of no backbox is other people can watch you play standing at the other end of the table.

I'll just be trying to get over how to line machines up then...since they generally go against a wall, or the other backs of machines.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

RobT said:

the DMD Glare Guards that Kim sells

Do you have a link?

http://www.wrongcrowdproductions.com/pricingShipping.htm#glareGuard

Whoops, saw tracelifter beat me to it.

#26 7 years ago

Up to $ 16 now(4 years later) but still worth it. Buy 6 and get em for 14

#27 7 years ago

I have been considering this on my games as well. Especially my RFM. The glare from the backglass with that florescent light is crazy!

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

I have been considering this on my games as well. Especially my RFM. The glare from the backglass with that florescent light is crazy!

Hmmm...never seen it on a RFM...don't know aboot that working. RFM Marquee light is past where this piece would go.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm...never seen it on a RFM...don't know aboot that working.

You just flip it around upsidedown, works awesome actually, doesn't help the game from sucking majorly though...but it does reduce glare

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

You just flip it around upsidedown, works awesome actually,

Fair enough!

#32 7 years ago

First saw them and thought they were silly and expensive for a piece of plastic. And yes, I have them on all my games.

#33 7 years ago

You know, when I was ordering, I counted all my machines including RFM and then laughed at how stupid that was. Then I see the pic above and realize maybe I should have gotten it one too...

#34 7 years ago

Ouch Tom!

thanks for the pic though....I am going to have to get that for my most awsome, fun, fantastic, RFM!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

You know, when I was ordering, I counted all my machines including RFM and then laughed at how stupid that was. Then I see the pic above and realize maybe I should have gotten it one too...

I had one on my RFM, and I'd say RFM actually needs one of these glare guards more than most other pins. The glare on that one is really bad.

#36 7 years ago

I had a bunch made locally. They are bent better so when standing in front of the machine you only see the edge of the guard like looking onto the edge of a piece of paper. The guard becomes sort of invisible. But still does its job. This is the way they should all be done

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I had a bunch made locally. They are bent better so when standing in front of the machine you only see the edge of the guard like looking onto the edge of a piece of paper. The guard becomes sort of invisible. But still does its job. This is the way they should all be done

How tall are you Mark? I don't have this problem with the one's Kim sells as I barely notice them when I'm playing.

#38 7 years ago

There's not a problem with the ones Kim sells. So that's why you have never had this "problem". I'm not complaining or saying that they don't work. But they sit way higher. It wouldn't matter how tall you were, it wouldn't have the same effect as the ones bent lower. The ones bent lower become invisible due to the angel. In other words you have to move position to even see that the guard is there.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

In other words you have to move position to even see that the guard is there.

Yes, that's how they appear to most everyone now...which I believe is why he asked your height, which would make a difference.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, that's how they appear to most everyone now...which I believe is why he asked your height, which would make a difference.

Well perhaps they are different now. I haven't had to order them in over a year. The originals were at a very high angel. You'd have to stand on the glass to have them vanish. Lol

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You'd have to stand on the glass to have them vanish. Lol

Ahhh yes that would be very annoying indeed. We had some made ourselves...mostly for price.

#42 7 years ago

This is the most reasonably priced mod in the whole world of pinball. Just buy it. Kim is an old school good guy. Good product that does the job and a cheap price. What the hell are you waiting for? The product is cheaper than the postage.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

The product is cheaper than the postage.

That probably won't bump up sales

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Ouch Tom!
    thanks for the pic though....I am going to have to get that for my most awsome, fun, fantastic, RFM!

Wow, I will have to try that. I love my RFM. It looks crazy but it makes sense.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That probably won't bump up sales

Buy 3, save on postage.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The ones bent lower become invisible due to the angel.

Quoted from markmon:

The originals were at a very high angel.

Ahem...

"Angle"

If Markmon were here, he'd tell you to go back to school and get more education....oh, wait.

#47 7 years ago

Just ordered three from Kim at Wrong Crowd...

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ahem...
    "Angle"
    If Markmon were here, he'd tell you to go back to school and get more education....oh, wait.

Damn that autocorrect!

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Just ordered three from Kim at Wrong Crowd...

I have these on every pin! A must have in my opinion.

#50 7 years ago

All of mine has them, yes they are worth $15. DMD glare sucks the joy out of the back of your playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.00
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 199.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 6.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside