(Topic ID: 176741)

Are Stiga table Hockey games Good or just a toy?

By Mercury

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beelzeboob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Stiga hockey tables are Good or a toy?”

• They are good . 3 votes
    38%
  • Just a toy... 5 votes
    63%

(8 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

topcor (resized).jpg
IMG_1375 (resized).JPG
stanleycup1 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I wonder if the Stiga table hockey games are as good as the table hockey games from the seventies.

I have never tried them but they appear smaller to what I played as a kid.I played a Coleco

hockey game that was pretty durable..Does anyone have any experience playing these Stiga

tables? They seem small and the puck seems large for the players..I wonder if it is just a toy

or really a great hockey table for the money.I appreciate any help..Thanks and "Happy Holidays!"

stanleycup1 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Great question, I was also wondering the same thing after considering a Super Chexx for quite awhile. But for the price, and how cheap it is to get custom teams, and the fact that it looks like I could just drop one of these on top of my football table and save space, I nearly pulled the trigger and ordered one this year. I'm still on the fence.

Obviously the Super Chexx would probably be more durable in the long run, and it's controlled with your whole hand whereas these seem to be more of a finger control. But the Stiga's are very tempting for the price. I think the goalies kick the puck out after a score, and I'd prefer the center ice puck drop like in Super Chexx, but again, for the price, who's really going to complain about that small detail when the gameplay and action should be fairly similar.

Super Chexx has all the cheesy sound effects and it's just more of a commercial, heavy duty unit. But if it's just about ripping up a few quick games with some friends, this Stiga looks like it could serve the purpose well.

#3 2 years ago

I think the best table out their is the hand made table at tablehockey.com..It is $700.00 but is big yet portable.

#4 2 years ago

Yeah the table hockey ones are pretty nice looking. I agree, these Stiga's do look a little smaller than what we remember from the 70's and the puck size in proportion to the players bothers me a little bit as well.

#5 2 years ago

We're unwrapping one tomorrow for Christmas so I'll let you know!

#6 2 years ago

If you can't drop coins in it, it's usually a toy.

#7 2 years ago

I had a stiga about 10 years ago, it definitely seemed like a toy compared to something like Chexx. There are some people though that are very serious about their Stiga tables, they grew up with them and mod them out to the max.

#8 2 years ago

I have a Stiga that I bought bought used for $20. Pretty good quality for a casual player. Younger kids tool on mine, but it always goes back together ok. Kids love it and are fascinated with it just like myself was growing up.

That table tablehockey.com table looks awesome. I would buy a Stiga if it is for kids and if you are hard core get the $800 one at tablehockey or a Chex.

#9 2 years ago

thanks

#10 2 years ago

We've had a higher-end Stiga for a couple of years and I definitely recommend the Chexx. I'd splurge on the Chexx if I had it to do over again.

#11 2 years ago

I've had both. Super Chexx is an awesome game to have, and about as solid as a tank. I sold mine only because nobody would play it with me and pinball was much more attractive.

Stiga is great...just be prepared to accept that it's a disposable commodity; the metal rods will eventually chew through the plastic after prolonged use, and you'll have to get another. I went through three of those things in my prime.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies and advice...I am now thinking Stiga can't be a toy because they are played

at tournaments around the world...I think beetzeboob nailed it..It's a durability issue with the Stiga versus

the tank quality of the Chexx..Of course your also paying thousands more for the Chexx too..I wonder

about the gameplay of the Chexx versus the Stiga..Seems Stiga controls the puck better and the Chexx has less

intricate passing etc...I may be wrong on this...What about an old Coleco table?

#13 2 years ago

I had a shelti bubble hockey game, but it just wasn't being used..it was very durable and somewhat rare..you just don't see them around. I decided to sell it, and then purchased my 3rd em, a Gottlieb top score. I'll miss the shelti, but I'm happy w the extra pin!

IMG_1375 (resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you can't drop coins in it, it's usually a toy.

Kind of like "The Pin"?

#15 2 years ago

Never played anything else but a Chexx, but that dome is used to keep the puck in play because of the action. If that globe were taken off people would start losing teeth like real hockey! Music, shots on goal count, call outs, lighting fast goals, commercial grade build, great lighting...

Go with the Chexx, it's a blast!

#16 2 years ago

We used to have one at work and we'd play many times a day (after we got bought out and were alll pretty much disinterested - that's the excuse anyway )
We'd buy a new one every 2-3 months so it would keep playing fresh - it was still usable after that but some things would start to fall apart.
If you're gonna play it once in a while, you'll be fine for a while. Great playing machines.

Now obviously, they're not something that looks as good sitting in your basement as a Super Chexx. They even sell a half dome you can put on top of them, and if you make a nice base you can still have something that looks pretty cool.

#17 2 years ago

We had a couple of these years ago that we enjoyed. The rods have plungers on the ends you can push in making the player twist and slap the puck. It is a cool feature because you can elevate the puck when you shoot or pass it and send it around the boards behind the goalie without having to spin the rod. They held up fairly well considering that they are primarily made of plastic. I made a plywood board for it that sat on top of a fooseball table.

topcor (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago

My buddy picked up a Top Shelf many years ago and it was fun to play. But after we scored a Super Chexx, it sat in the closet collecting dust. I think OP will find that table hockey games are good to play. But nothing beats a Super Chexx.....as long as space and budget permit.

#19 2 years ago

Anything compared to a superchexx is a toy.

It doesn't mean that they're not fun, however.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

Thanks for the replies and advice...I am now thinking Stiga can't be a toy because they are played
at tournaments around the world...I think beetzeboob nailed it..It's a durability issue with the Stiga versus
the tank quality of the Chexx..Of course your also paying thousands more for the Chexx too..I wonder
about the gameplay of the Chexx versus the Stiga..Seems Stiga controls the puck better and the Chexx has less
intricate passing etc...I may be wrong on this...What about an old Coleco table?

It's all the same principle, just on a smaller scale. You control the players with your entire hand on a chexx and use 2 or 3 fingers on a stiga. You can still do all the same passes and moves. And video games are played at tournaments as well...it's still a toy. They're all toys...some are just more expensive than others.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Playfield - Protection
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
£ 58.00
$ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside