(Topic ID: 255497)

Are Stern's flipper screws all made out of aluminum!?!?

By The_Director

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 1.02.04 PM (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

It's insane the amount of coil stop screws and other flipper plate screws I have break off or won't twist down right and the head breaks off. Seriously, this is crazy. Is there a good manufacturer of steel screws I can look towards to replace all these because whatever is in Stern flipper bracket plates and whatever you get from most of the suppliers is dog crap.

#2 4 years ago

Sounds like they could be zinc screws, rather than steel. Most big box stores have them, and I once made the mistake of assuming all their screws were steel, when only some were steel, and some were zinc. The heads on the zinc screws twisted right off.

boltdepot, fastenal, albanycountyfasteners are the main sources I use for screws and whatnot. Sometimes I'll grab stuff from the various pinball suppliers if I'm already placing an order and need something specific and/or only in a small number.

#3 4 years ago

Go to your local hardware store.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Go to your local hardware store.

They don't always have all the necessary screws, and not all of them are steel--some are cheap zinc screws.

#5 4 years ago

Get stainless steel ones.

#6 4 years ago

Sounds like I need to make a list of all the sizes I need and just place a good size order and do a day of replacement. These zinc ones, which is what they have to be as brittle as they've been, are just infuriating. Thanks all!

#7 4 years ago

My last NIB stern was a GB premium. All the flipper mount screws broke, coil stops broke, and springs all broke in the first 6 months.

#8 4 years ago

Well, straight out of the Stern manual. No wonder these have been so frustrating on location.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 1.02.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-13 at 1.02.04 PM (resized).png
    #9 4 years ago

Newer American pennies are zinc, they are made to last.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They don't always have all the necessary screws, and not all of them are steel--some are cheap zinc screws.

They will have them if you go to a real hardware store and not a big box store.

#11 4 years ago

If you want a deal on a bunch of them in stainless steel, check Ebay. Local hardware store was 60¢ each.

USA only with free shipping, I got 100 stainless steel for under $5. Search by size.

LTG : )

#12 4 years ago

Hand tight, not farmer tight!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you want a deal on a bunch of them in stainless steel, check Ebay.

I went back and looked at my last purchases for SS screws, they all came from Ebay, shipped from China but still through Ebay.

#14 4 years ago

DO NOT BUY STAINLESS SCREWS! They are more subject to wear, leaving that thin film of black dust around you flippers. When a new machine comes into the PHOF, we always add a flipper fuse to each coil, replace the crank bolt with a GRADE 8 or 10 hardened cap screw (10-32 X 3/4) and replace the crappy screws that hold the coil stop with 10-32 X 3/8 hardened cap screw(What Williams used to use). Hold screw up to a strong magnet. If the attraction is slight, you have a high Nickel stainless. If it grabs and holds tight, it is steel.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

DO NOT BUY STAINLESS SCREWS! They are more subject to wear,

That hasn't been my experience in commercial use, haven't had one break yet.

Quoted from timarnold:

thin film of black dust around you flippers.

I haven't noticed any more than from the ones Williams used. Easy to clean.

Quoted from timarnold:

cap screw(What Williams used to use).

I've found them to break off. And difficult to remove for normal service. Seems like all the pounding on them kind of welds them in place on the threads.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-s-flipper-screws-all-made-out-of-aluminum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.