Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Stern Pros underpriced?”

• Absolutely. The fake knocker sound is gold, Jerry, gold. 21 votes
      8%
    • Nope, Stern should be paying me to take a few. 223 votes
      86%
    • Trick question - Stern Pros are priceless. 16 votes
      6%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    umadbro.gif
    how-about-no-20142935 (resized).png
    I+think+your+sarcasm+detector+is+broken+_0cc314f18897b5ea86ad9062efb8ac9e (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    wayne.gif
    bart.gif
    F67A257A-50A8-4FB7-8626-1E3A944700F9 (resized).png
    7CDD02A3-AD6C-43FD-8CF2-AC05F41786AE (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Gary’s quote to me means the margins on Pros aren’t where they would like them but they are priced to sell as low as they can from a business perspective.
    I know this is an ongoing debate here but until a competitor can match Stern Pro pricing then they are the best priced NIB pinball available.

I agree but with correction...

they best priced "bare bones, entry model" NIB pinball available

It is honestly the one thing I really hope we see with Deeproot or someone else... the ability to make an entry level pinball for 4500 or less.

I firmly believe there is a market and also the ability. It would take some changes but many of the puzzle pieces are there.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When Spooky is having no trouble selling games like TNA for more than Stern sells their games for, Stern games are obviously underpriced. Better buy 'em while they are dirt cheap!

unless I missed the memo... TNA is long sold out...

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

TNA sold out easy at far more $ than your average Stern Pro, which has a lot more to offer. And zero complaints or bitching about the price on a game that would have been lambasted as "stripped down" if Stern offered it up.

you missed more than the memo if you think TNA is stripped down.

TNA is a comparable build to a premium Stern in all aspects.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

You have got to be kidding me!
    I would take a Stern Pro over any Spooky game...I just don't find Spooky games to be any fun and the build quality is worse than Stern.

not joking at all!

Add up all the features in TNA from custom soundtrack, full light show, awesome upgraded speaker system, tons of controlled mechs, 3 flippers and tons of slings, beautifully engineers danesi lock mech, amazing code package, co-op capabilites, real BG, etc... as I could go on and on.

As someone that routes and collects games from all manufacturers (TNA on route and 2 members have it at home also), it is honestly not even remotely close. TNA is BY FAR the best built, easiest to maintain, rock solid game I have ever had the pleasure of operating. Stern is WAY WAY WAY down the list on quality of build. From metal thickness, component quality, pf quality, etc...

If you are thinking of AMH build quality as what Spooky is, then you should actually spend some time looking over their games as they have progressed and improved leaps and bounds to where they are now.

If you dont find TNA fun, then that is your opinion and I dont think anyone can help you there.
    *granted you seem to be more of a LE collector type person and you have a SWEP1 in your collection, so...

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why would he route games that don't hold up on route?

sometimes you route something for theme alone, even if it is a real PITA to keep running.

i.e. GOTG is by far the biggest headache of any game I have routed in the past 5 years.
    node board issues, drop target issues, groot issues, lighting issues, intermittent weak flipper issues, chipping pf issues, loose parts out of box and falling apart.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like a real piece of shit, but must make you a ton of money if it's worth putting up with.

unfortunately no.

It has been one steady headache after the other.
    Granted most issues seem to be worked out now, but it has taken a disproportionate amount of time and effort to do so.

It is not like we would go sell a non-functioning game off for someone else to deal with and when you route games, you deal with problems as they arise.
    Unfortunately each successive Stern has had more and more issues with evident lower quality base parts.

It has been going on for a long time I am sure but TWD was the last real quality build we saw.
    Aerosmith we got pretty lucky on (granted a split cab out of the box).
    Most of the others post TWD have been lots of the same issues and getting worse.
    GOTG just happened to be the worst of them all for mechanical things.

Pf quality continues to get worse and maiden and beatles seem to be the start of that new issue.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I had a TNA in route for a few months but the code was too buggy and I dumped it. It would throw weird drop target errors and not kick the ball out of the scoop or just plain lock up. It just wasn't ready for prime time. I stick with Stern pros or cgc. They're hands down the best manufacturers.

sounds like a flaky connector issue. bummer you had an issue.

Been routing one since #2 came off the line a long time ago now and pretty much error free.
    There is good reason it has been out this long and still gets moved around.

Those drop/optos all need to be working correctly for everything to know what to do with that lock mech.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

using an inflation calculator $1900 in 1983 is equal to $4885 in 2019.

so new Stern PROs are about $700 over priced?
    I would agree with that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-pros-underpriced?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.