Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Stern Pros underpriced?”

• Absolutely. The fake knocker sound is gold, Jerry, gold. 21 votes
      8%
    • Nope, Stern should be paying me to take a few. 223 votes
      86%
    • Trick question - Stern Pros are priceless. 16 votes
      6%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    umadbro.gif
    how-about-no-20142935 (resized).png
    I+think+your+sarcasm+detector+is+broken+_0cc314f18897b5ea86ad9062efb8ac9e (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    wayne.gif
    bart.gif
    F67A257A-50A8-4FB7-8626-1E3A944700F9 (resized).png
    7CDD02A3-AD6C-43FD-8CF2-AC05F41786AE (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#122 4 years ago

It seems like folks like to go off on their own preconceived narrative on things instead of looking into what Gary’s statement is about.

I listened to the interview and my take on what he said is that Pros are undervalued because he doesn’t make as much money on them as other Prem and LE models. If you take a Pro for what it is at $5600 and compare it to a $7300 Prem or $8800 LE you will find the Prem and LE have more features, but do they have $1700 or $$3200 more BOM? No.

My guess is that the profit margins are much higher on Prem and LE games. I would ask “So Gary why don’t you just sell Prem and LE games and make higher profit margins per each pin?” To me I get out of the interview that he wants locations to have a good reasonably cost, profitable option and good entry level price point for collectors. He is willing to have a lower profit margin game to do it even though the option may take away sales form higher option games. He knows folks will play the pro at a show or location, like it and buy one or even better upgrade to a Premium or LE. Say what you want but that is smart business and provides an option for many folks.

Stern has had no Pros models before. They have only Prem LE level with no pro games like BM66. So they do it on occasion but it doesn’t sound like Gary wants to make that a thing and the Pro is here to stay.

So “underpriced for what they are compared to more expensive models” is what I get out of the interview, but Gary said he will keep putting them out for the lower price point people and locations. Now that I think about it again I do think Pros are underpriced compared to Prems and LE’s. I think my IMDN Pro is way underpriced compared to a WOZ YBR edition at $11500. What do you think?

I love the Pros and have owned a bunch. Keep them coming.

#147 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

They don’t want to sell more, they want to sell less at a higher margin. If you make $1000 per game, if you can increase that to $2000 per game and sell half the games, your profit is much higher because it’s half the parts and labor. That’s why Stern doesn’t give a crap about losing me as a buyer.

But Dave if what you say is true then why don’t they get rid of the pro?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinnyheadhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-pros-underpriced?tu=pinnyheadhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.