Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Stern Pros underpriced?”

• Absolutely. The fake knocker sound is gold, Jerry, gold. 21 votes
      8%
    • Nope, Stern should be paying me to take a few. 223 votes
      86%
    • Trick question - Stern Pros are priceless. 16 votes
      6%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    umadbro.gif
    how-about-no-20142935 (resized).png
    I+think+your+sarcasm+detector+is+broken+_0cc314f18897b5ea86ad9062efb8ac9e (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    wayne.gif
    bart.gif
    F67A257A-50A8-4FB7-8626-1E3A944700F9 (resized).png
    7CDD02A3-AD6C-43FD-8CF2-AC05F41786AE (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 4 years ago

The cost of the machine isn't just raw materials and assembly labor. They have to figure in development costs, and of course the investors want to be paid also. But even if development costs are $1 million as they use to tell us, that is $200 on each machine over a run of 5k machines. I do not know what Stern figures for their sales projections on a new title, but you can scale up or down from there. You can add another couple hundred per machine so the investors get their pound of flesh.

That being said, $5799 is too much for my blood when it comes to what I see Stern putting out these days. You can usually find them for $5200 if you call around, last time I called around. Even at that...its a bit too much. My sweet spot is $4500-$4800. I have no real evidence to back up that number, but that price range just feels right for when we get in a machine.

I think the good times are coming to an end soon, and the economy is going to contract a fair amount in the next 12-24 months. Stern is best equipped to weather the storm, but its probably going to be painful to watch. Enjoy it while you can.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Minimum wage in Illinois in 2003 was $5.15. Looks like it will be $10/hr by July of next year. If they have 100 workers on min wage working 35hrs/week, that's an increase of almost $17000 per week.

If you think factory workers in the US are paid minimum wage, you are surely out of touch with reality. I'd be surprised if anyone in the Stern factory isn't making at least $12/hr, and that is probably low for the part of IL the stern factory is located in. This makes your minimum wage increase argument invalid.

edit: just did a quick search...all the entry level factory worker jobs I found in that area are $12/$13/hr to start.
    https://g.co/kgs/uFBqep
    https://g.co/kgs/RzwXVr

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

So you are saying they are getting the same pay today as they were in 2003? Min wage is a baseline. Argument valid. The point is pay goes up, cost goes up.

Factory worker wages have not doubled or anywhere close to doubled in that time period like minimum wage is about to. Your minimum wage statement is misleading.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You act like that is a good wage. 12-13 dollars an hour is shit to be working in any factory. That wont even pay your rent.

You don't think I know that? I work in the large scale manufacturing industry and am acutely aware of what living wages are and the going rate for unskilled labor in the various cities around the country we have facilities in. That doesn't change the fact that the jobs I linked to are paying $12-$13 an hour. Non-union factory workers with no specialized training can expect to earn $12-$20 an hour on average. My company had a facility not far from the Stern factory up until a couple years ago. They moved it to BFE Indiana because farmer Joe works for half the money as what a union Chicagoland worker makes. Where I live currently, temps get $12 an hour. All the major factory warehouse type jobs pay $12/hr to start. 1 bedroom apartments are 800 to a grand a month. It's bullshit, but that's the world we live in...there are no winners in the race to the bottom.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Ok boss. So they have worked almost the same pay for 15 yrs. Got it! You keep doing you and bashing pinball. Lets argue over a few $/hr LOLOLOLOL Not sure why you are so passionate about this topic. Prices are set, buy or don't buy. Pay goes up over time, prices of parts go up over time. Relax

Breathe deep friend, the only person getting huffy here is you.

No need to get tuned up just because I proved your point wrong with actual facts. Yes, wages have gone up. But bringing up minimum wage is pointless. That's my point. Factory wage increases don't mirror minimum wage increases. The average American factory worker is lucky to see 2% a year. But wages are not the only driving force on why the price of pinball machines have nearly doubled in 15 years.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

It’s actually comical to hear people say the games are more expensive to make today than before... that is flat out not true. Today you can just order controls in bulk, today you need less labor because of CNC machines. Go pick up older pinballs you break your back today they are a ton lighter because less parts are need to operate them.
    Back in the day all these parts where not made in China, today almost everything is and that has brought costs down.
    TV monitors are at their lowest prices ever.... the list goes on. It is even way easier now to create artwork, because of photo shop, they didn’t have sophisticated computers back then,.. cmon.
    Everything today is faster, cheaper, and easier to do.

CNC equipment isn't free. Automated manufacturing equipment isn't free. The skilled workers who program and operate these machines are not free either. Graphic artists are not free. Photoshop doesn't run itself, and if you don't put a highly skilled person in front of it (who also isn't free), you get crappy looking art packages like you see on Oktoberfest and even the new Wonka to a point. Good artwork isn't free or easy, nor should it be. Yes, CNC equipment has brought the cost down some in large volume manufacturing, it isn't as much as you think. An argument can also be made that pinball machines are not made in high enough volumes to truly realize the maximum savings in bulk manufacturing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-pros-underpriced?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.