Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are Stern Pros underpriced?”

• Absolutely. The fake knocker sound is gold, Jerry, gold. 21 votes
      8%
    • Nope, Stern should be paying me to take a few. 223 votes
      86%
    • Trick question - Stern Pros are priceless. 16 votes
      6%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).png
    umadbro.gif
    how-about-no-20142935 (resized).png
    I+think+your+sarcasm+detector+is+broken+_0cc314f18897b5ea86ad9062efb8ac9e (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    wayne.gif
    bart.gif
    F67A257A-50A8-4FB7-8626-1E3A944700F9 (resized).png
    7CDD02A3-AD6C-43FD-8CF2-AC05F41786AE (resized).png
    There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago

It’s actually comical to hear people say the games are more expensive to make today than before... that is flat out not true. Today you can just order controls in bulk, today you need less labor because of CNC machines. Go pick up older pinballs you break your back today they are a ton lighter because less parts are need to operate them.

Back in the day all these parts where not made in China, today almost everything is and that has brought costs down.

TV monitors are at their lowest prices ever.... the list goes on. It is even way easier now to create artwork, because of photo shop, they didn’t have sophisticated computers back then,.. cmon.

Everything today is faster, cheaper, and easier to do.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

It’s actually comical to hear people say the games are more expensive to make today than before... that is flat out not true. Today you can just order controls in bulk, today you need less labor because of CNC machines. Go pick up older pinballs you break your back today they are a ton lighter because less parts are need to operate them.
    Back in the day all these parts where not made in China, today almost everything is and that has brought costs down.
    TV monitors are at their lowest prices ever.... the list goes on. It is even way easier now to create artwork, because of photo shop, they didn’t have sophisticated computers back then,.. cmon.

CNC equipment isn't free. Automated manufacturing equipment isn't free. The skilled workers who program and operate these machines are not free either. Graphic artists are not free. Photoshop doesn't run itself, and if you don't put a highly skilled person in front of it (who also isn't free), you get crappy looking art packages like you see on Oktoberfest and even the new Wonka to a point. Good artwork isn't free or easy, nor should it be. Yes, CNC equipment has brought the cost down some in large volume manufacturing, it isn't as much as you think. An argument can also be made that pinball machines are not made in high enough volumes to truly realize the maximum savings in bulk manufacturing.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Are you sure? Everything I've seen, heard and been told is that it's more expensive today for things like labor, legal, insurance, shipping, etc...

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Parts and labor are not factored like that.
    Parts are going to cost you more on a smaller production run than a larger one. In the case of generic parts that are not game specific there is surely a discount when they order in larger quantities (bulk rate). As far as game specific parts like play field plastics etc, your cost per unit is also cheaper the more you produce. The designing and basic set up cost for production is basically a fixed cost. It’s not that much more money to print 3000 of something rather than it is say 1500 once your at that stage in the process. The real cost is upfront in design etc.
    I.E. your cost per unit gets cheaper the more machines you make, not the fewer.
    Labor is labor. Your paying someone an hourly wage to put these things together that is affixed to the cost of the game.
    Your not saving money on labor unless you cut back on your workforce and fired some people. If they lowered production and continued to employ the same amount of people, then the cost per game actually goes up because you are now paying the same wages for less output.
    Not really “wanting to sell less machines at higher margins” simply wanting to sell machines at higher margins.

I think you misunderstood what DaveH was saying. Pretty much all manufacturers (in all industries) would like to sell fewer goods at higher profit margins.

The margins are not higher because they are making fewer goods (we can all agree that economy of scales reduces manufacturing cost...so more goods means less cost item by item), but the margins are higher if the manufacturer can charge you through the nose for the product due to scarcity.

If Xerox had zero competitors making copying machines and effectively had a monopoly to make copying machines, they would reduce their output and up the price to make for a fatter margin. The increased cost per single machine due to losing the economy of scale would mean nothing if Xerox raised the machine price 100%.

#155 4 years ago

Earlier today I was reading through an old Play Meter magazine from December, 1983. Reading through the magazine there were some articles referencing poor earnings from all coin op equipment, especially video slowing down and pinball with barely a pulse. In the section for letters from readers an operator was talking about the difficulty to operate pinball machines because of the high cost of new pins. He said that "new pins should be $1100-1200, not $1900 as that is too expensive for a new pinball machine." I guess people have been complaining about the price of new pins forever.

Interesting enough, using an inflation calculator $1900 in 1983 is equal to $4885 in 2019.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

using an inflation calculator $1900 in 1983 is equal to $4885 in 2019.

so new Stern PROs are about $700 over priced?
    I would agree with that.

#157 4 years ago

Over priced more like it!!!!!!

#158 4 years ago

Every since Stern was taken over the playfields/toys have become stripped while prices have gone up up up. And let's not get into the toppers- Printed flat plastics with LED's now for $400-500. 2D plastic representations instead of a $10 figure because it's cheaper.

I know, don't buy if you don't like it.. and I still buy them. But I can still be critical of how cheap the games have become even if I do like them. (This is about whether the games are underpriced, after all, not whether they are enjoyable).

#159 4 years ago

when you see what you got for the best selling game of 1983 today's games look like a bargain https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1983&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
    #160 4 years ago

If anything they are way over priced for what you get! BOOM!

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

If anything they are way over priced for what you get! BOOM!

If Stern Pros are overpriced then JJP games are ridiculously priced BOOM

#162 4 years ago

It depends on the Stern. BKSOR Pro feels very over priced, Munsters feels right. But the built quality of recent Sterns is still very questionnable, when you play a JJP it doesn’t take much to realize that asking 7500$ for an SE is actually very realistic.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

2D plastic representations instead of a $10 figure because it's cheaper.

I’m still surprised every time I see Stern do that. How much is Deadpool Pro, $5800 delivered? And for that, all the characters in it are a flat printed piece of plastic? I have to move up to the Premium to get the $2 molded plastic characters? I realize it’s hard to differentiate models, but jeepers, that ain’t it. It just looks cheap and stupid. I’m not saying to give the Pro that cool left orbit shot around, I’m fine with that. But the plastic, blech.

#164 4 years ago

Stern Pros are the best bang for your buck out there, especially with the rising cost of 90's machines. I think CGC Classic Edition Remakes are excellent as well but with only 2 on the market hard to say best bang for buck. If anyone is paying MSRP you need to find a new distributor, there are deals out there.

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

If Stern Pros are overpriced then JJP games are ridiculously priced BOOM

#166 4 years ago

considering just 10 years ago, I could order a FULL version of LOTR for $3400 shipped to my door. No. and considering the 10 years before, the prices for NIB were $2400 and went up $1000. I'd say they are a little overpriced.

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-pros-underpriced/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.