(Topic ID: 302532)

Are Stern Premiums more Limited than LE’s?

By EricHadley

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Damonator
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211021_063143 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I know they don’t publish sales numbers. But when Stern makes 800 or even 1000 LE’s, do they end up actually making less premiums and then those are the true limited edition? Seems like I see a lot less premiums in general and the tend to cut-off production of premiums before pro’s.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I know they don’t publish sales numbers. But when Stern makes 800 or even 1000 LE’s, do they end up actually making less premiums and then those are the true limited edition? Seems like I see a lot less premiums in general and the tend to cut-off production of premiums before pro’s.

Yes. We all suddenly know the production numbers of all games that we didn’t know yesterday and I can definitely say your hypothesis is correct.

#3 2 years ago

In the case of Metallica Roadcase Premium? Maybe. In all others? Not likely. Not by the end of the run.

#4 2 years ago

Maybe, but only on unpopular titles like
    Mustang, or the Wrestling pin.

We'll never get the real numbers out of stern....
    But my guess on a popular title, the numbers look something like this.

Limited edition. 700
    Premium. 1300
    Pro. 1500-1700

It really comes down to how many pins are getting sold to non pinsiders, and rando game room people.
    As they would almost certainly buy pro's.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

In the case of Metallica Roadcase Premium? Maybe. In all others? Not likely. Not by the end of the run.

Which is sad since the trans light is easily changed. Best looking music pin cabinet to date.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Quoted from gambit3113:

My guess is you could add Star Wars Comic Premium to this list, not exactly an unpopular title. I for one would love to see another run.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

We'll never get the real numbers out of stern....
    But my guess on a popular title, the numbers look something like this.
    Limited edition. 700
    Premium. 1300
    Pro. 1500-1700
    It really comes down to how many pins are getting sold to non pinsiders, and rando game room people.
    As they would almost certainly buy pro's.

Definitely Mustang premium is much rarer than the LE. WWE never got a premium released of it. They had a hard time even selling all of the LEs and had to discount those to even unload them.

#8 2 years ago

Nope…

#9 2 years ago

Star Trek LEs seem much more common than Premiums (never seen one of those).

#10 2 years ago

If you go to the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database you can usually get an idea of how many Stern games were made. If everyone on this site submitted their serial numbers, we would know very near to exactly how many of each were made since the games are mostly made in 'runs' or clusters.

https://www.ipsnd.net/

In the case of Star Trek it appears that there are close to 2 1/2 to 3 Pro's for every Premium. There also appears to be fewer Premiums (maybe 20% or so) made than LE's.

#11 2 years ago

You could put tmnt premium on that list!

#12 2 years ago

A Black Knight Premium has to be the least common version. Come to think of it, the LE might have more made than either the pro or premium.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Star Trek LEs seem much more common than Premiums (never seen one of those).

Now you have... I really like the art and the red.

20211021_063143 (resized).jpg20211021_063143 (resized).jpg
    #14 2 years ago

Ut ooooooooo you just upset a looootttt of people here!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from wtfbliz:

Now you have... I really like the art and the red.[quoted image]

When premiums had side armor and other flair.... I miss my ST Prem although when I rebuy I'll probably get a LE, ha.

#16 2 years ago

Avengers has a premium, while the Green Hulk and Blue armour LEs seem to be way more common. At lest here in Oz anyway..

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from GoodOmens:

When premiums had side armor and other flair.... I miss my ST Prem although when I rebuy I'll probably get a LE, ha.

Im a noob and dont even know the extent of mods on this thing, just got it... its got a custom translite, a shaker motor, mirror blades, speaker LEDs, warp ramp chase lights, and some other gadgets that I don't think were stock on a premium.

Can you enlighten?

#18 2 years ago

In general, there are more Premiums than LEs (except for special premiums like Luci, SW Comic Prem, etc).

A *rough* guestimate for production volumes is by using the Pinside collection information - go to a game's information page and look to see how many are owned by fellow pinsiders, then multiply that by 2 or 3x for modern games. Or slightly more accurately, divide the number of LEs produced by the number reported and then multiply that ratio by the number of premiums reported). It's not an exact science (and only works for games that have separate entries for premium and LE), but it's probably the most accurate method we have.

Jurassic Park:
    245 LEs reported (500 were produced)
    854 Premiums reported (~1742ish produced)

EHOH:
    179 LEs reported (400 were produced)
    387 Premiums reported (~864ish produced?)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-stern-premiums-more-limited-than-les and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.