Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimeBandit
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

oreally_baby.gif
    manual stair climber.jpg

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I think I have used up all my friend favors on moving pinball machines and really would just like to find the best way to move them myself. I tried just using a regular dolly on stairs and only got up one stair. Is a stair climbing dolly worth it? would I be able to do it myself?

#2 7 years ago

Best pinball investment you'll ever make.

#3 7 years ago

I've owned so many, the answer is, it depends. If you have a tight 90 degree bend in your staricase at home, probably not.

It's great for straight stair cases or stairs with a large landing.

Quoted from toasterman04:

I think I have used up all my friend favors on moving pinball machines and really would just like to find the best way to move them myself. I tried just using a regular dolly on stairs and only got up one stair. Is a stair climbing dolly worth it? would I be able to do it myself?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

I've owned so many, the answer is, it depends.

lol.... on what....

#5 7 years ago

Ha! your fast. typing as fast as I can

I accidentally submitted, I added.

lol.... on what....

#6 7 years ago

I tried just using a regular dolly on stairs and only got up one stair. Is a stair climbing dolly worth it?

I think you just answered your own question there.

#7 7 years ago

lol

Quoted from NPO:I think you just answered your own question there.

#8 7 years ago

It's turns a 2 man job into a one man job. As long as you can maneuver the stairs.

Quoted from NPO:

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

well ya on paper it sounds like a no brainer, I was just wondering about peoples experiences of them 'in the field'

#10 7 years ago

are they all pretty equal, or any brands I should stay away from?

#11 7 years ago

Escalera is what I have. I haven't used anything else so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can tell you the thing is rock solid and a feat of engineering. No joke, the first week I had it I truly believed it had paid for itself, and that was like 8 years ago.

#12 7 years ago

wow, I just looked into Escalera they are like ten times the price as one from home depot and others alike. I don't want to cheap out but... whew... that I expensive. I wonder if there are any dealers for Escalera in canada

#13 7 years ago

I'm a bit biased since I'm an Escalera reseller. Take a look at my site and I have a video of me moving a Flintstones up the stairs and also using the forklift attachment to lift the game up and put it in a truck or add/remove legs.

I've had guys sell other brands to buy an Escalera. Call me anytime and I can answer any questions you might have about moving games, what accessories you might want or need. I can give you pricing etc.

I just moved today the head unit to a Skee Ball into my showroom by myself. Had to go up three steps and over a threshold. No problem using the Escalera.

I go to many of the shows and have a booth there with an Escalera there so you can see it in person. Next show I'm scheduled to be at is Pinball Expo in Chicago in October.

Ask yourself this question. Is it worth screwing up your back trying to move these games?

[email protected]

#14 7 years ago

wow, I just looked into Escalera they are like ten times the price as one from home depot and others alike. I don't want to cheap out but... whew... that I expensive. I wonder if there are any dealers for Escalera in canada

#15 7 years ago

I sell to Canada and have one going to BC next week.

#16 7 years ago

I was in the same position as you. And I didn't want to inconvenience others when I decide spur of the moment I want a game. So I purchased an Escalera from Larry at flipnout pinball. He was awesome to deal with and would highly recommend him. My escalera gets split use business and personal (pinball machines), so I have seen its benefit.

Until you get the hang of the machine, and how it works I wouldn't recommend doing it by yourself. Because lets say something did go wrong bringing a pinball machine down a set of stairs....it won't be pretty.

Hope this helps. If not, feel free to give me a shout and come try mine out if you ever come down to Regina and are still on the fence about an escalera.

#17 7 years ago

Awesome Archer600, did you get it shipped here?

#18 7 years ago

and what model did you purchase?

#19 7 years ago

Yes, had it shipped into Canada. Larry at flipnout was great in helping me decide what model would work best for me. I chose the RLA-HC (removable forks & hand crank). I also went all out and purchased the big wheel attachment (a must in my opinion), 28" toeplate attachment, pinball plate attachment (not listed online), barrel attachment, an extra strap, and a lift hitch for my truck.

I've only had it for a few months but in my opinion the benefit has already outweighed the cost as I do not want back problems later on in life. Plus, it seems to be quality built and should last a long time.

#20 7 years ago

awesome, I was looking at appliance dollys but those look more just like guides over stairs, I also want to stay in this hobby forever and know my back will not!!

#21 7 years ago

Yes, they are. Buying a Lectro-Truck has saved my wife's life. Search here or RGP for my story.

#22 7 years ago

I picked up a used Escalera on CL for $600, it's made the pinball moves so much easier.

#23 7 years ago

Yes, in my opinion the stair climbing hand trucks are waaaay better than those appliance ones. I also own an appliance dolly with the rubber belt which helps slide the truck over the stair. They are not comparable as the appliance dolly still requires two people for most stairs.

P.S. If you would like to come check out the escalera, maybe we can even find a pinball for you to take back to Saskatoon!

#24 7 years ago

P.S. If you would like to come check out the escalera, maybe we can even find a pinball for you to take back to Saskatoon!

oh snap I am very impulsive.... I might have to think about that

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Archer600:

Yes, in my opinion the stair climbing hand trucks are waaaay better than those appliance ones. I also own an appliance dolly with the rubber belt which helps slide the truck over the stair. They are not comparable as the appliance dolly still requires two people for most stairs.

I will PM you

#26 7 years ago

I might have to think about that

Send a PM anytime.

#27 7 years ago

what about these?manual stair climber.jpg

#28 7 years ago

has anyone tried using a system like this?

#29 7 years ago

I cannot imagine having my collection in my loft without my Escalera. If you value your body, then, yes, it is worth it.

#30 7 years ago

I got an Escalera from Larry at FlipNOut Pinball too. Best money you'll ever spend, and a lot cheaper than medical bills if you mess up your back trying to muscle a pin up stairs. Larry is great to work with.

#31 7 years ago

I'll chime in on the Escalera. I've had it for a few months and it is a remarkable piece of equipment. I don't have any attachments. The seat belt strap to hold the pin tightly is great. I have gone both up and down the stairs alone with a machine without incident. The high price is worth the peace of mind and the independence.

#32 7 years ago

wow sounds like unanimous decision.... looks like I gotta phone La :party:rry

#33 7 years ago

Escalara. Larry. 66" version as he recommends. I chose the 60" and now I understand leverage just a bit more.

#34 7 years ago

There are 2 Canadian Distributors also. Best to see who can do a good deal on a Escalara. I got mine from Montreal, Doverco. I think I paid about $2500 CDN shipped. It was shipped upright on a standard skid, which probably cost me a little more. I bought the 72" 1200 lb model, if you aren't tall go for the next model down.
    http://www.doverco.com/index.php?id=240

#35 7 years ago

Get the Escalera from Larry Kitchen. I did and didn't regret it one bit. Larry is a great guy and the Escalera is fantastic. I got a model with removable fork lift, big wheel kit and pinball plate.

#36 7 years ago

+1 for Larry. Bought the 66" at Expo last year. Have moved over 20 machines up and down stairs by myself with it since.

#37 7 years ago

Don't overlook the Lectro-Truck.

#38 7 years ago

I really can't imagine moving a pin up or down stairs safely alone using an appliance dolly. Not without some form of winch system which I can't use in this house. Two still had me on edge and we are not weak.

#39 7 years ago

If I move (which we are looking into) this will be one of my first purchases. Currently my stairs have a hard 90 degree turn near the bottom making one of these useless.

#40 7 years ago

God i wish i could afford an Escalara !!

#41 7 years ago

You can still deal with a landing using an Escalera. Depends some on the size of course but if you are using some kind of Dollie now then you should be able to use an Escalera

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

God i wish i could afford an Escalara !!

I take credit cards

#43 7 years ago

If the stairway is carpeted, the drive chains on an Escalara can rub grease on the carpet on the step edges.
    It will depend on the carpet density and thickness to avoid grease marks on the steps plus the angle of attack
    of the track.

It takes a learning curve of more than just one machine move up/down a stairway before it can be
    safely accomplished by one operator.

These motorized moving tools are not something you can just pick up and put into a vehicle, they weigh in at about 80# bare without the baseplate.

#44 7 years ago

what about these?

manual stair climber.jpg 34 KB

I'd say no. First, you're still the one taking on 100% of the weight. That dolly does nothing for helping with that--I certainly don't want to be doing that by myself. Second, you'd be bouncing the pin on each step, which might damage or shake something loose.

If the price were lower, an automatic stair climber would be very attractive to me. I've hauled a pin and an arcade game up a couple flights of stairs with one other person by hand, and it was no picnic. I am not looking forward to hauling up any more or bringing down the ones that already went up.

Some quick googling brought up these, but it looks like they're all around the same price point.

http://www.powermate.info
    http://www.magliner.com/powered-stair-climbing-hand-truck-ergo
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/material-handling/hand-trucks-dollies/hand-trucks-appliance-stair-climbing/wesco-power-stair-climbing-appliance-hand-trucks
    http://www.wescomfg.com/html/hand_trucks/stairking_battery.htm

#45 7 years ago

I am very impressed and excited to learn about Larry's excellent reputation.... Good on you Larry... Honestly thank you all for the comments... I can sure say the appliance dolly is out from what you are all saying... I am sure now I just have to convince myself that I have put the next pinball purchase on hold and buy a lift instead

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipnout1:

I take credit cards

Do you ship international?

Maybe a group buy for a bunch of us down here?

#47 7 years ago

On the opposite end I bought the harbor freight one with a 20% off coupon. Works fine has stair climbers. You STILL should have another person below though.

#48 7 years ago

moving-installing woodstoves, we'd often sled them up stairs with rope and pulleys if we could find an anchor point. one person could do the majority of the work pretty easily. sled was ply with the ends warped up, a stop block and a strap to hold the stove to it, nylon type plastic bottom, grab handles at both ends. it'd be easy to make one like it.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Do you ship international?
    Maybe a group buy for a bunch of us down here?

Yes I can ship internationally. It's not that bad money wise but each country has it's own import rules so I would need the local person to deal with a local customs broker.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If the price were lower, an automatic stair climber would be very attractive to me.

How much are you willing to pay for a stair climbing dolly?
    Most used ones are half the price of new. But you usually need a new battery for the used ones. About $60-80 for one.

Don't forget Lectro-Truck. www.lectrotruck.com

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside