• Latest reply 6 years ago by Fulltilt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So I took the kids to Silverball Sanctum in Sterling, VA last night. Nice little spot with 10 machines. Mainly I wanted the kids to see The Shadow, which will likely be my next purchase, but also wanted to check out Star Wars and stuff. Turns out my 11-year old daughter fell in LOVE with Royal Flush. She says it’s her favorite pinball ever, over all the other ones there and the two I have. So I came on Pinside to see what they’re selling for. Average around $900, let’s say. One was listed a few months ago for $1100. Ok, maybe I’d go that high if it were pristine... Looking on eBay, I find this:

ebay.com link: Vintage Pinball Machine Gottlieb 4 player Royal Flush

$2800 starting bid???? Are you f’ing kidding me??? And that BIN it now price?? I mean MAYBE if it’s HEP restored or something, but it’s just in DECENT condition. C’MON!!!

I’ve seen T2’s on eBay being offered in the high $4K’s... Seriously??? I happen to love T2, mostly for nostalgia’s sake, since I played it a lot as a kid, and I love the movie (which is why I own one), but mid-2’s is the most I’d pay for one, because I’m not a moron!

#2 6 years ago

maybe its filled with half dollars?

#3 6 years ago

The seller’s aren’t insane, but the people paying those prices are.

#4 6 years ago

Ebay prices are usually a bit out there.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

The seller’s aren’t insane, but the people paying those prices are.

I can’t imagine he’ll successfully sell that to anyone at anywhere close to that price...

#6 6 years ago

Mr. 2800.00 is an idiot, but perhaps successful preying on newcomers to the hobby. Especially those with money, DINKS, Professionals with kids etc.

Royal Flush/Card Whiz are worth more than say a Jubilee/Darling from the same era.

#7 6 years ago

An unsuspecting new buyer looking for a pinball machine won’t know it’s not worth that much. They’re trying to take advantage of an uniformed potential buyer. I didn’t know about value until I made a few purchases, made local connections and found pinside

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

So I took the kids to Silverball Sanctum last night in Sterling, VA last night. Nice little spot with 10 machines. Mainly I wanted the kids to see The Shadow, which will likely be my next purchase, but also wanted to check out Star Wars and stuff. Turns out my 11-year old daughter fell in LOVE with Royal Flush. She says it’s her favorite pinball ever, over all the other ones there and the two I have. So I came on Pinside to see what they’re selling for. Average around $900, let’s say. One was listed a few months ago for $1100. Ok, maybe I’d go that high if it were pristine... Looking on eBay, I find this:
ebay.com link » Vintage Pinball Machine Gottlieb 4 Player Royal Flush
$2800 starting bid???? Are you f’ing kidding me??? And that BIN it now price?? I mean MAYBE if it’s HEP restored or something, but it’s just in DECENT condition. But C’MON!!!

There's a solid state version on the opposite coast from you for $500 right now. So with $400-$500 shipping to you, probably $900-$1000 total - unless you had your heart set on an EM version.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

So I took the kids to Silverball Sanctum last night in Sterling, VA last night. Nice little spot with 10 machines. Mainly I wanted the kids to see The Shadow, which will likely be my next purchase, but also wanted to check out Star Wars and stuff. Turns out my 11-year old daughter fell in LOVE with Royal Flush. She says it’s her favorite pinball ever, over all the other ones there and the two I have. So I came on Pinside to see what they’re selling for. Average around $900, let’s say. One was listed a few months ago for $1100. Ok, maybe I’d go that high if it were pristine... Looking on eBay, I find this:
ebay.com link » Vintage Pinball Machine Gottlieb 4 Player Royal Flush
$2800 starting bid???? Are you f’ing kidding me??? And that BIN it now price?? I mean MAYBE if it’s HEP restored or something, but it’s just in DECENT condition. But C’MON!!!

Yes,Gone very insane!!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a solid state version on the opposite coast from you for $500 right now. So with $400-$500 shipping to you, probably $900-$1000 total - unless you had your heart set on an EM version.
sfbay.craigslist.org link

Thanks, looking at reviews, I’d have to say I’d rather stick with the EM version, unless I found a RFD that was pristine, which that one clearly isn’t per the guy’s pdf. Can’t imagine buying a pin sight-unseen, unless I had 1000 pics... I’d happily drive anywhere east of the Mississippi to pick one up, though.

#11 6 years ago

Again you can ask any price you want. You just need to find the guy that will pay it. Searching Ebay for anything is a total waste of time unless your made of money and just don't care. Ebay has become a total joke and it's too bad they don't actually auction much off anymore.

John

#12 6 years ago

Sellers have to jack up the prices just to cover all the fees and costs. Ebay in general rips off sellers. I made a total of $60 from selling an item for $160 after all the fees and shipping cost. Wasn't worth it. I would have had to have sold the item for twice the amount to get what I wanted from it. And at that point, people would be complaining that my prices were too high.

Just because a price is high, doesn't mean they get all that.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Thanks, looking at reviews, I’d have to say I’d rather stick with the EM version, unless I found a RFD that was pristine, which that one clearly isn’t per the guy’s pdf. Can’t imagine buying a pin sight-unseen, unless I had 1000 pics... I’d happily drive anywhere east of the Mississippi to pick one up, though.

There have been a few EM version on the east coast in the 900-1200 range in the last month or two. Just use a regional craigslist search like adhuntr to keep up on if any become available east of the Mississippi.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There have been a few EM version on the east coast in the 900-1200 range in the last month or two. Just use a regional craigslist search like adhuntr to keep up on if any become available east of the Mississippi.

Hadn’t heard of adhuntr. Used to use SearchTempest. I’ll check out adhuntr.

Quoted from woody24:

Sellers have to jack up the prices just to cover all the fees and costs. Ebay in general rips off sellers. I made a total of $60 from selling an item for $160 after all the fees and shipping cost. Wasn't worth it. I would have had to have sold the item for twice the amount to get what I wanted from it. And at that point, people would be complaining that my prices were too high.

It’s true that eBay has jacked their transaction fees in the last few years.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Quoted from SeaLawyer:

It’s true that eBay has jacked their transaction fees in the last few years.

eBay and Paypal costs about 20% in fees for sellers. Now if you offer free shipping and misguessed that amount it can definitely eat up some profits....

#16 6 years ago

eBay has lost the plot and most seasoned sellers use it these days to drive sales to their own websites. It is only an advertising platform for most these days.

Something about geese and golden eggs that eBay management have overlooked!

#17 6 years ago

Check back exactly one year from now and it will still be there.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ebay prices are usually a bit out there.

Lol, thats like Bob Uecker saying.....

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It is only an advertising platform for most these days.

ebay torpedoed that recently with their new seller fees policies (charging seller's fees if ebay thinks you used their site to advertise and sold something off-site), and forcing sellers to remove links, videos, and phone numbers from their listings.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

ebay torpedoed that recently with their new seller fees policies (charging seller's fees if ebay things you used their site to advertise and sold something off-site), and forcing sellers to remove links, videos, and phone numbers from their listings.

They are doing their best to kill the site. It was fantastic ten years ago. I haven't even bothered looking for years now but it's no surprise that they are tightening up on "unsold" listings.

It is almost certain that eBay will disappear in the next few years the way they have been driving it. That will be a shame but it's what results from nothing but corporate greed.

#21 6 years ago

Ive been selling my pins in the wrong place and way to cheap....

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

They are doing their best to kill the site. It was fantastic ten years ago. I haven't even bothered looking for years now but it's no surprise that they are tightening up on "unsold" listings.
It is almost certain that eBay will disappear in the next few years the way they have been driving it. That will be a shame but it's what results from nothing but corporate greed.

Agree completely! It used to be awesome! Been a member since 1999...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

It used to be awesome!

Yes it was back in the good ole days.....Now,Its not even worth browsing and most sellers would even lie to their own mama just to make a fast buck...

#24 6 years ago

Yep, that's why their Gross Merchandise Sales went from $82 billion in 2015 to $88.4 billion in 2017...

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Can’t imagine buying a pin sight-unseen,

I have from Pinsiders and was not disappointed. My latest was Jackbot that was even better then he described.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

eBay and Paypal costs about 20% in fees for sellers. Now if you offer free shipping and misguessed that amount it can definitely eat up some profits....

Problem is, if it's a common item, like a video game, ebay won't let you choose your own shipping price. I learned that a few years ago. I sold a group of 10 PS3 games. The most ebay would let me charge for shipping was $4, because.... ebay. I ended up getting around it by listing it in a generic category. But then ebay charges a fee on the amount you charge for shipping, on top of the final value fee. But again, if you start charging way too much just for shipping, no one is going to buy your product. So no matter what, you're screwed.

#28 6 years ago

For every insane seller there are 1,000 more insane buyers. True story.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have from Pinsiders and was not disappointed. My latest was Jackbot that was even better then he described.

Yes, I can see that. I bought my T2 from a Pinsider. When I saw it in person, it was even nicer than he described.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yep, that's why their Gross Merchandise Sales went from $82 billion in 2015 to $88.4 billion in 2017...

That's padded with large volume commercial stores like Best Buy, etc that Ebay gives a WAY more favorable rate to. They're desperately trying to keep it looking like it's growing when its base of regular sellers are leaving in droves.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's padded with large volume commercial stores like Best Buy, etc that Ebay gives a WAY more favorable rate to. They're desperately trying to keep it looking like it's growing when its base of regular sellers are leaving in droves.

.....AND the regular BUYERS aren't bothering to look any more from what I see.

#32 6 years ago

In my few visits to people's homes in an attempt to fix or help value their machines, I have run into several cases where they bought machines from eBay or from our local retailer at twice their Mr. Pinball book value, and they were flawed machines when they bought them. It's a lack of knowledge or research on some people's part or the idea that it "comes with a service warranty" in some cases. I always educate them with a blend of Mr. Pinball values and the boston pinball repair website sale data.

#33 6 years ago

It gets more insane every day...but so do CL, Mr Pinball, FB Market, Letgo...and everybody else. I've used it mostly to find some parts I couldn't find anywhere else, so it can be useful occasionally.

#34 6 years ago

I have bought and sold on Ebay for 18 years. I have had good luck buying, as far as selling.....don't do that much anymore unless I have too.

Fees have gotten out of hand.

But as far as buying, sometimes if you need a part, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Fees have gotten out of hand.

Unfortunately, I think this is the reason sellers must charge more on EBay

Certainly not justifying the over priced cash grabs, then again I really don't care what people price their items at. Nor is is my place to police it. The market will determine if it sells.

#36 6 years ago

The fees don't bother me as I pay ten cents on the dollar for the stuff I sell, if that. (At least 900% markup)

I suppose they are hard to swallow if they eat into a normal retail markup. (50-100%ish markup)

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

So I took the kids to Silverball Sanctum in Sterling, VA last night

I didn't know this place existed. Worth going to? Been trying to get out to VUK for a while now.

Anyway, let me if you want to come to our next pinball night and bring your kids!

--Kevin

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

I didn't know this place existed. Worth going to? Been trying to get out to VUK for a while now.
Anyway, let me if you want to come to our next pinball night and bring your kids!
--Kevin

Yeh, it’s a cool little place, despite the odd location (industrial office park). Most of the games are $.75 or $1.00, so that adds up quickly. The guy working there, Tim, was a real nice guy. Silverball does have odd hours, but it’s the only place nearby that’s kid-friendly, other than VÜK. Their machines were pristine. The list at their website (http://www.silverballsanctum.com/location-games) is accurate, with the exception of no GOTG. The Pinball Map app showed they had Monopoly, but they didn’t, so I updated that list, and it’s now accurate. If you don’t have the app, I recommend it. Not the best interface, but lots of great info on local machines, and user editable.

VÜK is cool, but it’s pretty dark in there, even during the day, and none of the pins have lighting mods, so the playfields are a bit hard to see. They desperately need PinStadium lighting! VUK’s pizza is terrific, though, and they have great games and a really nice staff.

Pinball Night? Sounds great! My son is a sophomore at MHS, and the girls are in 6th and 7th at Haycock and Longfellow. Do you have kids in the McLean pyramid?

#39 6 years ago

ebay.com link: Gottlieb King Queens Classic Wedge Head wedgehead Pinball Machine Collectible

ebay.com link: Zizzle Marvel Super Heroes Pinball Machine VERY RARE

or wait, even better!!!!!!

more insanity. but wait.... there is so much on ebay and even on here with super priced pins like baywatch... lol, just have to laugh and move on.

#40 6 years ago

no higher than some pinsiders are asking!

#41 6 years ago

Many Sellers are insane across the board.
But there are still some gems out there.

In general; I've been buying a new Oscope for myself and needed some probes for it. The new scope is 4channels; so I need for probes. I've been contacting all the "make offer" sellers quoting them a reasonable price for the same items/model number which sold in the last 3mths. About half try to hold firm to their BIN price... Those sellers get a decline and I move on. The others that work with me based upon the sold listing - get my business.

I only bought one Pin on Ebay... back before Pinflation... and I won't do it again. No that the process is bad; it's just that the prices are over-inflated there.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

ebay.com link » Gottlieb King Queens Classic Wedge Head Wedgehead Pinball Machine Collectible
ebay.com link » Zizzle Marvel Super Heroes Pinball Machine Very Rare
or wait, even better!!!!!!
more insanity. but wait.... there is so much on ebay and even on here with super priced pins like baywatch... lol, just have to laugh and move on.

$5K for that K&Q?? That “patina” is worth at LEAST that!!! Hahahaha!!!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Pinball Night? Sounds great! My son is a sophomore at MHS, and the girls are in 6th and 7th at Haycock and Longfellow. Do you have kids in the McLean pyramid?

I have a kindergartener at Haycock and a 3 year old as well, both daughters. My kindergartener probably knows your daughter there as she has friends everywhere at that school. Does your daughter know an Elise in kindergarten?

Let's do something soon. Need to pull me out of my taxes depression.

--Kevin

#44 6 years ago

You can take your kids to CarPool in Fair Lakes to play pinball, skeeball, and probably pool too. Since it's a bar you have to keep an eye on them but we have 5 games in the back room (Attack from Mars, Demo Man, Tron, Monster Bash, Dialed In) and just put the new Iron Maiden in the main room next to Game of Thrones and Ghostbusters.
http://www.fspazone.org/carpool-fairfax/

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

You can take your kids to CarPool in Fair Lakes to play pinball, skeeball, and probably pool too. Since it's a bar you have to keep an eye on them but we have 5 games in the back room (Attack from Mars, Demo Man, Tron, Monster Bash, Dialed In) and just put the new Iron Maiden in the main room next to Game of Thrones and Ghostbusters.
http://www.fspazone.org/carpool-fairfax/

Ok, cool! I’ll check it out.

#46 6 years ago

I just wait patiently to see one on Pinside, Mr Pinball or Buddy (Doughslinger) offer me a real price.
Or a few pics with the lights on. (:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-sellers-on-ebay-insane?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.